2021 One day, or today. You decide

Options

Replies

• Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    Suzy in a way i envy you your moving prep - cause at least you know where you want to move to!! After this pandemic I realized i am not happy in my condo in the city... but i don't know WHERE i want to go and what kind of place... i just know i do not want to move down east where my sister is.. they have brutal winters and they have no doctors at all in the Maritime provinces.. plus my friends are here and I don't want to move to some isolated area where /i have to drive everywhere just to get a carton of milk or something.. and in the "boonies" as being on my own (without the pandemic) im isolated enough - here i have access to everything in a major city within walking distance... and lots of green spaces and lakes within easy drive... so im sort of in the position of being able to do whatever i want.. but not knowing exactly what that is ...

that said... i do hate moving and prep lolol... so i do feel for you!! But you are almost there and you'll feel so great when its all done and you can list the house!

As for the vaccine.. there is far more demand than supply here right now... we had problems with delays in shipments from the manufacturers etc.. so we are well behind you guys in getting it done... plus after they did all the long term care homes, they started going down by age.. but then switched to give out to areas of high community spread instead... they aren't doing any second shots for anyone right now... those are scheduled for 4 months after the first shot but no date has been given as they are trying to get everyone 1 shot rather than than a few 2 shots.. its a bit of a *kitten* show to be honest... but.... there are countries in far worse shape liek India right now.. so shouldnt complain.... we are just in a holding pattern til the promised shipments of vaccine arrive right now..

I am using up some leftovers which are not the healthiest (i made a lasagna the other day) and a few bits and pieces of stuff around but i'm just eating small portions to keep in the calorie zone... on the home made stuff i'm rounding UP in calories, and in the exercise stuff i'm rounding down lol... like you said tho. its going to take a little bit to get to the 1300 and stay consistently on target...

Im starting some new meds in the next day or 2 for my diabetes.. my blood sugars are not coming down on my current meds (and i openly admitted to doc my eating habits have been crap during this past year) so she is switching me to another one and back on the metformin along with the new one... she said a lot of people have found this new drug helps curb their appetite so i might lose weight... i said to her that would work if i was eating because i'm hungry... but i am an emotional eater and i'm bored out of my mind.. so all my eating is either bored or emotional lol.... so im thinking i wont be one of those.. they said the same thing way back about metformin... a lot of people lose weight on it.. i was NOT one of them lol

its all good tho... just one day at a time and not going to obsess over it, but neither am i going to use the pandemic as an excuse anymore for the poor eating habits.. i think if i stop "thinking" about food and omg can i eat this should i eat this kind of mentality and just eat healthier choices when im hungry, and smaller portions... not thinking about it all the time might help too.. but i know too i will need to make sure i have healthy stuff on hand for when the "omg im starved" moments hit lol

hugs all around
  • suzyqholland
    suzyqholland Posts: 1,353 Member
    Options
    Gail, if you still check these messages let us know your new MFP name so we can accept your friend request or send you one.
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way....just here to chat the little that I get to do....so it is frustrating. it wouldn't worry me if it wasn't on company c. any who, I will get around to setting up a new one ,one day.... Time is short around here and it is slipping by very quickly.

Snoozie, I hope things get back to more normal. At least I have peeps I see on a reg. basis at work, but alone in a home could get antsy....unless you like aloneness....and it is not a bad thing sometimes! lol

Yea !! on the yoga , Vail. I would love to do it, but too slow for me....no patience...which is one of my problems.
    Suzy, awesome you are able to hike again, I know it is a great love for you to be able to do it with hubby....

Back to work, breaks is over,
    Bye
    G
  • Snooozie
    Options
    An interesting article from my Diabetes webinars about another tool for weight loss...

just thought i would share it cause it kind of goes hand in hand with the last one, which is all about how there is no "one" way to lose weight... everyone has to find the way that works for them... (which is what we've always said here amongst ourselves anyway - we've always supported whatever path each of us is on) but i found this CBT quite interesting, i guess because I've had all those conversations and justifications in my head, too lol..

By Kim DeMattia

Many of us are all too familiar with the yo-yo dieting cycle: we commit to a diet and are sure that THIS time, it’s going to be different. We work hard and lose weight, only to eventually gain the weight back, feel defeated and repeat the process. With each turn of the cycle, we feel more like a failure, get incredibly discouraged and are convinced that if we just had more willpower, we could be successful. It’s time for a new approach…

In a recent interview, Dr. Sandy Van explained why the “yo-yo dieting” cycle happens: diets don’t work. To be successful with long-term weight loss, we need to change behaviors for the long-run and recognize that help from a medical professional may be necessary. Dr. Van is the first to acknowledge that behavior change is hard, but reminds us that “repetition is the best form of permanence.” Instead of going on the most recent diet to populate our Instagram feed or trying a commercial program for the four hundredth time, and starting the yo-yo dieting cycle all over again, Dr. Van encourages us to put that energy into small behavior changes that we can stick to over time.

One strategy that Dr. Van uses with her patients is called cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). Dr. Van explains that “CBT is based on the premise that your thoughts influence your behaviors and your emotions.” If you change the way you think about weight loss, you can more easily change your behaviors. She cautions that CBT is something that requires repetition and practice, but the more we practice it, the easier it becomes.

There are four core parts of the CBT process. Here’s how to incorporate them into your daily routine.

1) Increase your awareness. Dr. Van tells us to pay attention to the thoughts that are leading us to engage in a behavior. For example, if you find yourself in a pattern of snacking at night when a craving hits, pause and really examine the thoughts causing you to want to snack. Is it because your favorite TV show is on and that’s a time you often indulge? Are you thinking about your stressful work day? Paying attention to the thoughts that are leading to your behaviors can help you better understand what’s driving the desire to eat. Then, you can develop a plan to manage those things.

2) Identify the distortion. Dr. Van explains that “many times our thoughts are distortions that are affecting our weight loss journey.” She categorizes distortions into two common categories: permission thoughts and self-critical thoughts. Permission thoughts sound like, “Well, I had a terrible day, so I deserve this box of cookies.” while self-critical thoughts can be, “I ate badly all day, so there’s no point in trying now.” Identifying when our thinking has become distorted can help us get to Step 3 of the process, and prevent an episode of over-eating.

3) Challenge the thoughts. Now that you’ve identified the distortion, it’s time to challenge the thought. To do this, you’ll need to ask yourself a few questions. When you’re noticing a thought that’s driving you to food, ask yourself, “Is there any evidence that this thought is actually true?” For example – is a treat really the answer for a long day at work? Will I really feel better after I indulge? It’s critical to take it one step further by telling yourself the full story, meaning to look honestly at how you’ll feel AFTER you have the treat. Dr. Van says asking yourself, “What is the most realistic outcome here?” can be really helpful.

4) Replace the thought. The last step of the CBT process is to come up with realistic and rational thoughts to replace the automatic permission or self-critical thoughts. Dr. Van explains that our distorted thinking tend to re-occur, which makes it possible to prepare replacement thoughts in advance so that we can be ready when we’re tempted or feeling discouraged. A replacement thought for, “I’ve had a long day and I deserve a treat” might look like, “I’ve had a long day, and I’m feeling tired. If I give into this craving, I’m just going to feel worse afterwards. I’m going to try to get to bed a little early tonight and get the rest I need.” Having that replacement thought at the ready can make a big difference in being able to resist temptation.

Starting to use CBT may take some time to get used to, but adding it to your toolbox of strategies can help you meet your goals over the long-run. The benefits of CBT go beyond weight loss, and include stress management, anxiety reduction, improved self-esteem, and for some people, improved sleep.

CBT is just one strategy to help with weight loss. It’s important to find what works for you.
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    I love that the two thoughts the article addresses are thoughts that I have ALL THE TIME!! How do we keep this strategy uppermost in our minds so that we actively use the replacement thoughts and strategies? I just ate a couple cookies and was logging them when I saw this post. It was an “I’ve had a hard day” thought that led me to eating what I absolutely knew I didn’t need. Thanks for sharing Snoozie. I’m going to have to think on this one and try the alternative thoughts approach.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Yes I found it quite interesting .. because as you said.. i've often used the "had a bad day i deserve a cookie" mindset is totally me.... I've never carried it through with a replacement thought though... i've always stopped at i deserve a treat...

seeing "A replacement thought for, “I’ve had a long day and I deserve a treat” might look like, “I’ve had a long day, and I’m feeling tired. If I give into this craving, I’m just going to feel worse afterwards. I’m going to try to get to bed a little early tonight and get the rest I need.” Having that replacement thought at the ready can make a big difference in being able to resist temptation

I tend to forget the part about i'm going to feel worse afterwards!! I did actually try that one out yesterday; one of those days where i had a small car problem and my shower broke.. but both were actually dealt with quickly thankfully.. but at first i was honestly tempted to get in the car and go get some chips to console me.. but in my head i did remind myself that afterwards, i KNOW i'd feel like crap... even if i got the initial "rush" of comfort, in the end I would def feel worse for a) caving and b) seeking out food for comfort. I'm not saying it's going to work every time... but i have to admit... it was a handy tool then.. I think i'm going to try to remember these steps and try to incorporate them as part of my overall plan.

• suzyqholland
    Options
    Good plan! I’d love to print a few replacement thought prompts off and put them on the fridge but it might look funny to prospective buyers. :D Instead, I put a couple in my notes on my phone. I’ve just got to remember to use them.

They’re coming tomorrow to clean the carpets, Monday is realtor photos, our son and his girlfriend are flying in Tuesday, we’re listing the house on Thursday, all of us are spending the day at my daughter’s house on Saturday and my son is leaving Sunday. It’s going to be a crazy week! I’ve still got to clean the whole house, too. I’m going to need some heavy duty replacement thoughts.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Suzy The only replacement that I have for the week you’re about to have - is “ I have burn so many calories doing all this work and been super stressed so I will not rely on empty calories but instead well enjoy spending time with my family and choose my calories for a gin and tonic. I know I can have a slice of pizza or other foods without guilt I will just choose to remain careful with what I choose
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    Photos went well, I guess. I mean, it’s our house so I have a hard time looking at them objectively. We go on the market Thursday. Now I’m completely stressing out over the whole timing of selling, finding a new house, beating out all other bids, actually moving! Ugh. I just want it all to be over. I need to try and look at this as an adventure. Something exciting that we won’t be doing again. Just, roll with it and enjoy the process.

On the eating side... I found myself purposefully ignoring my replacement thoughts. Lol. I was just so so exhausted. Now that my foot is a bit better, my knee has flared up the last two days. I’m done with the house (for the most part, just upkeep cleaning) so I’m staying off of it and icing it today. I have no idea why it’s hurting; probably just strained it with all the prep work.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Suzy - happy "on the market" day - (sorry Hallmark doesnt have a card for that or i would have sent one!)

I think its great to try to change your mindset - i know its a stressful time but just remember whatever things are out of your own control, aren't worth stressing over - you have enough that IS in your control to keep you busy LOL..

AND no doubt yes your knee has been worked hard with all the prep... you've done all you can and once the house sells, you can absolutely look forward to the exciting aventure of finding your perfect new place!
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    It looks like our CDC and president have agreed that we can stop wearing masks if we’ve been vaccinated. Things are really getting back to somewhat “normal” here. Businesses are having a really hard time finding people to work because the government is paying them more in unemployment than they would get working. So some states are going to start refusing the federal government unemployment payments. So..... I hear all this and it just makes me so frustrated that you can’t even get your second vaccination, Snoozie! I feel so bad for you being so isolated and alone. Hopefully things will speed up for you soon.

We had eight showings today and have several scheduled for the next two days. Fingers crossed that we get some decent offers!

Oh, my knee is much much better! Hallelujah!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    Trying to keep from having to close this one out...hopefully no more vulgar .…..it helped knowing I wasn't the only one. Just depends how frequently they appear I guess. I hate to have to go through starting up a new page. lol
    I would be hopeless if trying to move, I hate having to do anything so much! lol
    Reading that you are getting ready to move Suzy and Snoozie would like to move.. I would never make it.
    I had to run home last night and throw stuff into baskets to make room for daughter n law and Baby (2 years)she's no baby.... anyway … for them to have somewhere to sleep...It is a wholly mess at my house. working 7 days a week and being lazy do not go together. I get so overwhelmed that I give up and say" Nope, not today!"

I would def let y'all know my new stuff...if it comes to that. I may not post much , but I truly think of you all as great friends. I still wish we could manage to meet one day,

Gotta getback at it!
    G
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Gail - sounds like you are crazy busy these days.. are the DIL and grandbaby just visiting or staying with you for a while?? How are you doing with your health these days?

Suzy any bites as yet? Fingers crossed you get the sale you want and soon!! Now you have the fun of trying to keep the place neat and tidy lol.... altho I hear these days its not like before.. realtors dont just "drop in" anymore its usually open houses times set up ahead? I'm hoping today is spent going over offers and finding just the right one to accept :) So glad to hear your knee is better too!

I am hanging in... they just extended our stay at home order until June 2 and im trying to stay positive but there are some days.. im just so tired of doing NOTHING.. i know that sounds whiney ... and most days i can get past it but today is one of those where the frustration and anger at people here rise up like bile in the belly... if they would JUST do the 3 small things asked of them; stay at home for those who can; wear a mask if you must go out and wash your hands frequently.. ok sorry... yup its one of those days :) and if one more person asks me "did you get out for a walk today" I'm gonna scream LOL.. it's always like they think a walk is some big win in my day.. when its the only time i get out of the apartment so OF COURSE i go for a walk every day... arghhhhhh lol right then.. that's my vent done sorry again!!

I started the new meds for my diabetes... won't know for 3 months if it's helping but i am also working hard at my eating and moving.. i try to go for a walk after dinner now too instead of flopping on the couch.. even if its just 15 or 20 min. I had one day where i caved and bought a bag of chips . .last week i think.... but otherwise have been doing good at more veg and just less food in general - hoping this month will see a loss but im not weighing in officially til the 31st...

and on that note... will grab some breakfast and lace up the sneakers and head out.. try to shake off the grumpies lol.... i did find a lovely little place away from people yesterday, stayed onthe back trails and hadn't been there before so it was quite lovely... i'll post a couple of pics ..

hugs all around!!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    qjaqpbxhq3ma.jpeg
    vfkme1lojsy1.jpeg
    2c0fstdauq4x.jpeg
  • suzyqholland
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Gail, you do sound busy! I thought the same thing about moving but I’ve managed to get a handle on things (so far). It really helped that I had gone through and cleaned out all the closets and cabinets awhile back. I have to admit that if feels so good to get rid of stuff that we don’t need or want anymore.

Snoozie, it sounds like you’re focused and doing really well with your eating. One bag of chips is a great improvement over where you were a few months ago. Take the win! Lovely photos! It’s wonderful that you have somewhere enjoyable to walk considering that’s your only outlet right now. I hope you can get back to pickleball once it warms up.

We are under contract on the house. It sold in two days! Over asking price! They’re also giving us 60 days to move out after we close in the middle of June! We couldn’t have asked for a better outcome. We just have to make it through the inspection without any surprises. Now the hard part starts...finding a new house. I wish I was more optimistic.

I have three weeks before my 60th birthday. Needless to say that I am not even close to my intended goal. At least I’m not as heavy as I was at the beginning of the year. I’m going to do the best I can in the next three weeks to try and lose back to where I was before this whole house selling adventure started.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    YAY!!!!!!! awesome on the quick sale AND over asking!! And great closing options too!! Thats great news im really happy for you Suzy!! At least you know the general area you want to move to, so think of the actual house hunting part as the adventure - new and exciting!!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    P.S. the weather has been 70's all this week Suzy - would have been perfect pb weather but alas.. no outdoor sports allowed til the lockdown ends.. if it ever does... i probably wont even remember how to play lolol
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the house sale, Suzy! That's great news! I hope everything goes well for the move and you find the perfect house. Also congratulations on being lighter than at the start of the year - amazing with all you have had going on!

Gail, you sound incredibly busy! I don't know how you do it, and not surprised you get overwhelmed sometimes. I hope things ease up for you.

Love the photos, Snoozie. So funny, I looked at the last one, it looks beautiful but my main feeling was that I would love to have a picnic there, then I thought about what I might eat - I think I have a problem! Hope you can get back to pickleball soon - should be fairly low risk outdoors?

I'm quite busy too, working part-time as usual, but then doing bits and pieces of vaccinating. I have a few days off now and feel tired in that way you do when you suddenly stop for a rest!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    Sold in two days!! how awesome! not to have the added worry of 'Is it going to Sell!? " I hope you find the perfect home! I know you will.

Snoozie, guess I won't ask if you got out to walk? LOl sorry ,couldn't resist. It must be so hard to have to be going through this . I don't feel as though we are in a locdown . Seems to be pretty normal, if you call having to still wear these face things!! That is the only thing still hanging on...everything else seems back to normal...
    The pics are amazing. I thought same as Vail, what a lovely place to spend time at....and yes, picnic worthy... What are we eating? is always my first thought any where I go....
    Always will be a FOODIE at heart.

Be sure to take time for yourself, Vail. It is so stressful now. Best wishes and hugs!

The girls just came to spend the weekend.....but I needed to find a space for Lauren and the baby's pack and play bed....Isabella wakes up with night terrors all night. Mom's better at getting her back to sleep than I am. when she sleeps in the room with me, we usually end up half the night trying to get her back to sleep. So I would rather give them my room so they can sleep late and then I have to get up early for the Sat/Sun work days..

Young Son is working up in Ohio at the moment.

Well, looks like we have to get a new lawn mower this year.... it quit on him halfway through , but the grass refuses to give it up...so....

Snoozie, hope the new meds do the job. I have been lucky with the Juardiance , mine has been around 6.5 A1C

Awesome weather today...may be 90 degrees today ,so I hope to get to get a bit of sunning in after I get off at lunch. These pasty white limbs are scary at my age!

Bye for now my friends!!
    G

• cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone 😊

Looks like everybody is doing awesome

Congrats Suzy on the quick sale of your house
    2 days and over listing price

Wow Snoozie.. 2 June .. hopefully everything will work itself out (hugs)
    The US is almost back to normal... just wish that I could ditch the mask... our Governor is the only one holding out... I guess better safe than sorry :(

Gail – wow, you’ve got your hands full…
    I've also started to be the one who cuts our grass... average of 2 hours ... and a whole lotta steps... yesterday's diary said 178 in 5... alrighty then... giggles...
    My husband actually bought me a lawn mower for our anniversary in 2019... 28 years and going strong...

I saw that someone was asking about rewards for a job well done.. not with food
    I’ve heard that you should treat yourself to something like a manicure, pedicure or new piece of clothing… just a thought..

Retirement has been good to me – able to focus on myself

I’m back under 200… yay me …
    I’ve been able to get over to the track – 1 block over and average 1.5 to 2.5 miles depending on how I feel. I’ve averaging a 16 minute mile

Talk to everyone soon

Carol in Jersey