2021 One day, or today. You decide

Options

Replies

• suzyqholland
    suzyqholland Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    I’m so excited for you!!! It sounds like a great vacation. When are you going? It will be so wonderful to see everyone and stay on the water! Good for you!
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    Pretty much the last two weeks of August is the plan right now... other than the actual week i've booked the airbnb I can pretty much pick and choose my travel dates there and back.. right now i'm looking at leaving here around August 11th.. but i'll keep an eye on the weather forecast for that week and adjust my date by a day or two if needed so i have good driving weather. Same on the way back..

The photos from the back deck of the airbnb overlooking Maces Bay show some pretty spectacular sunsets - after being cooped up in an apartment for the last year im just going to be happy to be able to simply step outside in the mornings and have my coffee outdoors without having to fully dress and mask up first! lol

The city/town my sister lives in is on the St John River as well - so while i'm staying there i can go down to the riverfront in the morning for my walks as they have a full trail system along it..

• Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    That sounds really exciting, Snoozie! I love the idea of making it a vacation and having your own place. That just sounds perfect. Getting to see your family without all the stress over worrying about making a noise going to the loo at night and so on :smile: . (Or is that just me?).

I might have to join you ladies in roasting veg!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    LOL Vail - yes you're exactly right - not just the loo but as well, I'm up several times during the night.. sometimes I go back to bed.. sometimes i sit and watch tv for a half hour.. then go back.. and I'm up usually around 530 or 6 most mornings - and when you're staying with someone i feel guilty about getting up and heading out or just sitting and reading with the light on etc.. and having to be dressed fully all the time instead of staying in my pjs if i want lol..

as well, my cousins have grown kids and their families who are also visiting this summer here and there.. and i do like my own space these days i admit.. I've lived on my own for many years, and of course was alone during the longest lockdown in the world here.. so while I am a very social person i do like my alone time too lol. and I love my sister but we have very different routines..

so this way.. its a perfect solution... I haven't been on any kind of vacation since 2019 and who knows what will happen in the fall again when people are moving indoors much more.. so that's why i decided the perfect solution would be to rent a place on the beach that is close enough i can pop back anytime i want.. or sit on the deck in my jammies in the morning and enjoy my coffee with the view and go for a walk on the beach before anyone else is up.. basically i can do what i want without inconveniencing anyone else. and inviting my sister to join me there works as well because we can do things separately there too - come and go to the cousins as we each please and get up when each wants and do nothing or do something lol. My cousins wanted me to cancel the booking and stay with all of them but honestly.. i much prefer being super close and having my own space and in truth, im sure they will enjoy some down time at their own cottages without company all summer! I imagine we will be spending most of our time with all of them over there during the day and some evenings, but even just to go back and shower after a day in the sand and sea and sit on the deck with a glass of wine will be lovely. Lord knows i haven't spent any money the past two years and I got a great deal on the booking.. 1/2 the price actually of the nearest motel to the cousins and a whole house vs a room. And it will make it seem more like an actual "vacation" for me as well rather than just a trip to see the family...

I did laugh to myself tho when i was messaging the host and she said the kitchen was fully stocked with everything you could want to cook up a storm... as we all know i am NOT one for cooking.. but my sister is... so i may just say.. hey guess what sista.. you're in charge of cooking since i covered the accomodation LOLOL.. we will do a grocery shop when we leave her place and head for the beachhouse so i can drop a few hints there hahaha..
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    Sounds perfect to me! Oh to be able to hang out in my pajamas all day again! That’s at the top of my list once we move into our own house. Lol. I’m not complaining though…we are so incredibly lucky to have somewhere to live while we buy the new house.
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    I finally worked up the courage to get on the scale this morning. It’s not pretty. I am so out of control. I know what I need to do: stop snacking on crap, eat more veggies and severely limit my portion sizes. I haven’t managed to roast any veggies yet. Once my daughter is back at work and grandbaby is at daycare then I can start a routine of walking and going to the gym. I’m watching the baby (she’s 16 months now and full of energy) all next week.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Suzy just keep in mind you're in someone else's environment - and yes its lovely you have a place to stay til your house is ready for sure.. but you can't control much of what's on the menu or your ability to move your parts when you're caring for your grandbaby and living out of a suitcase basically!! So be kind to yourself.. we've all been thru so much these past 2 years mentally, physically and emotionally and you've added on another big life stressor of moving.. sometimes we all have to recognize there are times we just have to muddle through as best we can.. but its not the time to be beating ourselves up over anything (imo)..

my only unsolicited advice.. is to maybe just aim for one healthy meal or snack a day right now.. whether that's a bowl of oatmeal or eggs for breakfast, or some fruit over a cookie for a snack, or nuking a bowl of frozen veggies to chow down on for lunch... maybe just aim for ONE healthy choice a day in any way... that way you will feel like u have a little bit more control, and it won't stress you out cause just having an apple or some watermelon or something in your day will let you reach your goal of one healthy meal or snack a day.. ? Just a thought... i feel for you... i know while i'm on vacation down east - my family has always used food to celebrate anything and everything and we will also be celebrating several birthdays happening over the summer... i plan to use the "one a day" plan for myself while i'm there. i can control one meal or snack a day while i'm away and i'm not going to worry about the rest of the time...
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Have Mercy!! Time really flies! I have 41 posts to read and catch up on...I hope you have all been ok. I am totally blown away with how fast it has gone by. Still bombed at work...down 3 workers....so it falls on the 6 of us to try and keep the plant with enough work to fulfill orders. not an easy task. Hope to read and catch up this Sunday. fingers crossed. xxxx

Take care
    G
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    Thanks Snoozie! You are so right. I need to concentrate on one meal or snack a day. That’s great advice!

Good to hear from you Gail! Hang in there!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    yesterday my healthy meal was fiber 1 cereal and an orange for breakfast (and lasagna and corn on the cob for dinner lol..

and todays breakfast? a smoked meat sandwich LOLOL... SO i will have to do my healthy choice at lunch or dinner tonite bahahahaha

But all kidding aside.. the one choice a day is working for me right now.. sometimes i even manage to get 2 healthy snacks or meals in... but as long as i get one in i feel like i'm doing ok and that's a good feeling :)

• Snooozie
    Options
    I've been on a bit of a bender the past few days... corn on the cob (with butter yes!) and strawberries are in season for such a short time.. so i've pretty much had some of each every day lol.. i even bought a small vanilla ice cream tub and have been enjoying with the strawberries.. but keeping it to 1/2 cup serving has kept any guilt away..

yesterday i roasted up a bunch of new carrots... i can't believe i've never roasted carrots before.. altho i do find the "new" ones from the market are divine whereas the ones in the bags.. the big honking carrots. not so much blah... i had 2 potatos about to have more eyes than potato and an onion so i tossed them in too.. then chopped it all in a bowl with some lettuce and tomatos for a yummy roasted veggie salad.. they were still warm and it was delish.. and i have enuf leftovers for another one today for lunch. I'll have some fibre one cereal for breakfast with some fruit and that will give me 2 healthy choice snacks/meals today... woo hoo lol hahaha..

last night i woke up at midnite starving.. had some cheese and crackers with a smidge of jam and then went back to bed about an hour later.. so i dunno whether that counts as yesterdays food or todays ha!!

Hope everyone is doing well... miss hearing from everyone who was part of our group but hope everyone is hanging in!

• Vailara
    Options
    I have that problem of waking up in the night too, or just not being able to get off to sleep. I hate to say it but what seems to work for me is getting up and eating and drinking and relaxing, then trying again. I try not to eat a lot, and sometimes I feel I only need a hot drink, but I give myself a pass for it, as sleep is important too!

I love roasted carrots! I just like carrots, raw, boiled, you name it. Recently I often cook various veg but mainly cauliflower, carrot, plus mushroom, broccoli, green beans, etc. only boil it for a few short minutes in stock/broth so it still has some texture then mash it up roughly, in a little bit of the cooking broth with a little bit of (dare I say it!) instant mashed potato to hold it together. And then I add a little a bit of butter. Kind of a lower starch mash. I'm addicted to it!

You sound busier than ever, Gail! Hope you get a bit of a break soon.

My son and daughter in law are looking at buying houses now, so I was thinking of you, Suzy! It's so long since I've been through that process! I hope yours all goes smoothly from now on.
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    I would give almost anything to be able to sleep through the night. If I get up and wander around anywhere other than the bathroom then I’m up for good though.

I’m watching my grand daughter this week and y’all…it has been the longest week of my life! And it’s only Wednesday!!! I’m exhausted and my back is killing me! I am so incredibly out of shape. I’ve made a promise to myself that I’m going to use the month of August and as much of September as I can to get back in shape. I may not have control over the meals we’re eating but I can control how much I’m moving. I’ve got to build up my strength and flexibility. ASAP! It’s so bad that my back started seizing up yesterday. I took two Valium (that I had from a previous dental procedure because I’m a scaredy-cat) and went to bed at 8:30 last night. Lol.

I went to the farmers market last week but there was only one booth with veg and not a big selection. It’s actually a very tiny market. The veg mash sounds good to me, Vail. Roasted carrots are like veggie crack! I love them! I tried roasting some cauliflower and wasn’t impressed though. I like roasted broccoli and Brussels sprouts. Oh, and the red onion! I want to find some baby red onions now.

• Snooozie
    Options
    Suzy.. i have no doubt you're exhausted.. one of my good friends is our age and much fitter than me IMO.. and she has been watching her 5 yr old grandson as her daughter is having a touch pregnancy with her 2nd... and honest to god she's exhausted and sore too.. he just never stops LOLOL, she loves him dearly of course but holy hell she's tired.... and her daughter plans once she has the baby to come up to her moms cottage so SHE can chill and relax .. while grandma looks after the 5 yr old LOL.. i think she's considering running away from the cottage herself!

but i have found i have definitely lost both strength and stamina.. some days i go for a walk and i think.. i wanna nap i can barely lift one foot in front of the other.. or i get winded going up a hill... wth?? thank god i get to play pb a few times a week or i swear i wouldnt move at all.. i should be doing some weights at home too .. but they just sit there collecting dust.

The seniors centre is offering free online courses again on wed/fri so i may have to try a few of those or at least perhaps try the youtube vids from my class i used to take.. i think a part of me doesnt want to try it cause i know i wont be able to finish it and that just depresses me.. so i should suck that up and get at it for sure..

Thats funny about the cauli.. i actually love broccoli but i tried roasting it and cauli both and i dont like either of them roasted.. it just seems to give them both a bitter taste? put a bowl of both of them steamed in front of me tho and i'll chow down on it forever..

i had breakfast INDOORS at a restaurant this morning for the first time in almost 2 years.. i had taken my car into the dealer for a check before the road trip and of course, almost $1500 and 4 hrs later.. but my friend texted me if i wanted a coffee... so she came and picked me up from the dealer and we went for brekkie and a catch up... it was kinda weird to be honest sitting inside... they had the plexi glass stands between the tables but was still weird sitting across from someone indoors with no mask eating.. and other people around.. but it was a good weird.. sorta lol

My ex BIL texted me this morning they have 1783 cases in the Isle of Mann Vail... thats a LOT for such a small island of only 85K people.. but I guess being part of the UK the Delta variaint is making its rounds there too.... i heard on the news today that all hospitalizations here from it are 100% unvaccinated people... i know you can still get it even with the vaccines but at least it looks like they are doing their job and keeping people who do contract it with the vaccine in place out of hospital...

• Vailara
    Options
    Oh definitely, childcare is so hard work! Back pain is the worst. I hope it sorts itself out. I actually found strength training helped my back a bit. I suppose it just strengthens and stabilises the supporting muscles. Which reminds me - I need to get back on the case with strength training!

That's great that you were able to eat out indoors, Snoozie! I had been, while cases were low and double vaccinated, but I did feel a bit uncomfortable. Now cases are quite high here, so I'm wary again. But I did go out the other day and risk assessed the place before we sat down (servers wearing masks, table near the door for ventilation, no other diners near, my group all double vaccinated). I have another meal booked with friends for outdoors, but might move it indoors if it feels safe enough.

Yes, it still looks like the vaccines are pretty effective against hospitalisation and death, so still don't want to catch it and aware that my health conditions still mean I'm more at risk, so being cautious but in a much better place than when cases were at a similar level at the end of last year. Wow, that's a lot for the Isle of Man! Some of the islands here had done really well, managing to more or less keep it out and get everybody vaccinated.

I'm doing so badly with eating still. I have to remind myself that eating too much is something I do, rather than something that happens to me, lol!!! I was decluttering some clothes and ordered some new ones in what I thought was my size, anyway, they are all a little bit too small and difficult to return, so I really, really need to get this weight off. They are in size large, and I can barely squeeze into them, so that was a bit of a wakeup call!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Vail i think thats one reason I haven't bought anything new even now that we can shop again LOL.. I DONT WANNA see what size i will need! Altho i have been losing a tiny bit lately..

I'm going to have to start tryin on a few things to pack for my trip down east.. i don't leave til the 12th or so, but i've been avoiding trying on the clothes cause i dont wanna know if they still fit or not lol... but i guess i better so i dont end up travelling nekkid!

i have to say i think the doc was right about the new diabetes meds helping stop cravings because i haven't really been wanting any of the crap i usually do.. especially potato chips.. the downside of that is even real food doesnt often appeal to me so when i do eat.. its like i'm suddenly ravenous and i cant wait for something to cook, so i end up eating crap cause its fast and its there! I think i'm going to have to make sure i have stuff already made up like tuna or chicken salad or veggies and dip - things i can grab quickly that are relatively healthy.. my problem is i ddont make them cause im not hungry... but then when it hits.. look out.. dont get between me and any food lol

I had a lovely treat yesterday; my pickleball partner and her hubby own a sailboat and they invited me to go for a sail yesterday afternoon with them... it was a bit of a cloudy day but i loved every minute of it, especially because all i had to do was sit there AND STAY out of the way while they did all the work with the sails LOL..

• suzyqholland
    Options
    “I have to remind myself that eating too much is something I do, rather than something that happens to me.” What a terrific insight, Vail! You hit the nail on the head with that one. I’ve been eating such crap and eating out so often and always ALWAYS eating way past being full. I need to write that on my arm with a permanent marker!

Sailing! How fun! That’s awesome, Snoozie! I’m glad the new meds are having a positive effect. Having something ready to eat sounds like a good plan. I think I need to just declare the pantry closet completely off limits to me. There’s nothing but extra pounds and inches in there.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    It was a perfect day for sailing yesterday they let me take the helm but I’m pretty sure he put the boat on auto pilot first ha ha Ha
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    You look like you’re having a fantastic time! What a great way to spend the day!

We’re closing on our new house today!!!! I wish we could move in tomorrow but we agreed to let the sellers stay until mid-September. He recently had a stroke and they’re building a new home that’s better suited for him. I think the only reason they accepted our offer was because we agreed to let them stay and not close until August. I can be patient.

Of course I may not fit through the door by the time we move in. Lol.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    ooooooo CONGRATS on the closing Suzy!!! That's awesome!! That was very nice of you to delay occupancy and agree to let them stay until their new home is ready... but i bet you will be so glad that its officially done today!! yay!!

I am pretty excitd... a few months ago they announced they were building a new community garden in my neighbourhood.. it's all apartments and condos and hi rises and they have a few of these comm gardens around for people who dont have access to a garden but there aren't many ... anyway they sent out a notice and you could sign up for the "lottery" of getting one of the plots.. i did but didn't hold out much hope.. but i JUST got the email i won one of the plots! For 3 years... WOO HOO..... Its only about 2 blocks from my condo and it isnt even finished yet for another six weeks.. so the growing season will be done by then lol. but that's ok... i'll be able to plant my own veggies next year!!! I have an older friend nearby and have offered to split the plot with her so we can both benefit from whatever we plant lol.. and i have the whole winter to learn about gardening hahaha.... so thats my exciting news for today!