2021 One day, or today. You decide

Options

Replies

• Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    hi suzy... much better thanks... i know a big part of it is from my neck and too much computer turtling so trying to avoid that.. and certain movements like reaching back to put a coat on etc make it twinge, so i just try to do things like that better lol...

good on ya for doing the scrapbook... i have a couple of friends who have been planning the same kind of thing with family photos but havent gotten around to it yet lol.. and i hear ya on the binge watching... i never watched downtown abby the first time around and they are playing repeats now every day at 4pm... so that's my "stay away from me people" time LOLOL..

Does anyone use their phone for this site btw? I usually use my laptop but sometimes like to read the group posts on my phone.. but when i logged in on the phone today... when i go to my groups.. there are a million groups there.. ????? and none of them this one?? what the hell?? i even tried the search feature to find us .. and never was able to... it was always right there before in the "my groups" section as i only belong to 3 groups and i never even look at the other 2 any more.. but it was very frustrating.. i dunno if its from the new update or what but i dont like it...

i have slid with the logging, but i have been doing better with my eating for sure.. the scale didnt move yet but im waiting for the woosh... my tummy has been a bit off the past 2 days so maybe that will help the woosh in a different way hahaha...

• suzyqholland
    suzyqholland Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    I use my phone exclusively for MFP. I can’t remember the last time I used my laptop. I do have problems where I have to log back on (even though I can see my diary and such) when I go to the community screen. I don’t know what that’s about. Can you select the “bell” at the top of your screen and see the previous notifications? That’s how I get back into the Hatters group.

I’ve been really diligent with my logging. I’m still kit hitting my calorie goal much but I’m only going over about 100 calories or less now. That’s progress for me. I’ve seen some movement on the scale but then it went back up and I’m not sure why. I’m chalking it up to too much salt for right now. I guess I’ll see if that’s true in the next few days.
  • milove1029
    milove1029 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hello, everyone, I was reading to catch up. Suzy your grandbaby is too adorable.
    If I was able to use my phone, I could converse more on here, but whenever I write from my phone it never shows up.
    This Covid have our lives upside down. It is amazing how much our lives have changed. I was able to spend time with two of my grandchildren today it was amazing.

I am maintaining my weight in a sense I go up two pounds I come down two pounds then I go back up. So I guess I am stuck at this weight.

Much love to everyone!!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Milove how lovely to see you!! Thanks so much for checking in - i can just imagine how great it was for your to spend time with your grandkids.. we no longer take such things for granted thats for sure so i'm very glad to hear you were able to do so! and considering everything going on i think it's amazing you're maintaining at your weight.. well done you!! Take care of yourself - hugs...

Suzy thanks for letting me know.. i did notice it wanted me to log in again on the community screen, even tho i AM logged in as you said, i can see my profile and stats so why would i have to log on again? I don't think i even remember my password for here anymore lol... at least i can still use it to scan barcodes so since i do spend a lot more time on my laptop anyway it'll work.. i just find it way easier to type on my laptop than my phone lol.. and these days even when i use siri to dictate my post on my phone? He has a mind of his own and sometimes what he comes up with is nothing to do with what i said!!

We are in the last week of our "virtual" family fitness challenge for January and they decided they want to do another in Feb - so now i'm working on coming up with something that is different and fun... and i admit im having a hard time lol..

This month they had a choice of 3 options to do every day.. I called it the "one a day" challange.. the 3 consisted of one cardio, one balance and stretch, and one strength training. They got 5 pts for every option they completed each day, and each option only has to be 10 minutes. So if you are having a bad day, you could choose to only do only one option but if you were feeling good, you could do 2 or all 3 and earn more points.. so a little fun competition as well.. it worked quite well considering i had to take into account the ages of everyone (from 40-74) and some injuries (broken hand, knee replacement etc ) lol..

anyway i have a week to come up with something different for February, and that is a bit fun too.. i think after 2 months of exercising every day they need something different - so i'm asking for help from you guys for ideas!! I would like to stick with 3 daily options for february again, they seem to respond well to having of choice of how much to do...

So far i have come up with 2 options -

1. United we Move option: perform 15 min a day of your choice of exercise (endurance, strength, balance or flexibility)
    2. Bigfoot open: Complete a Half Marathon! Complete a half marathon this month - count your steps or your distance on a bike, and rack up 21 kilometers this month to complete a half marathon!! (just 1000 steps a day or 1/2 mile on a bike will get you there -

I had to have something that woudl take a bike as one can't walk with knee injury can only bike, plus 1/2 of us are in full winter with snow so can do indoor walking videos.. so i figured the half marathon option would sound cool and also be doable..

so i'm asking for your help in coming up with a 3rd option please?? lol... any and all suggestions would be appreciated.. i have a week still to finish the plan hahahah.. thanks!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    p.s. Suzy WELL done on the consistent logging!!! and getting closer to your daily goals with the cals too... i gotta get back on it for sure... i did notice when i was doing it and seeing just how much i was eating, it did make a difference just seeing the numbers get closer to my goal rather than being almost double!
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    Hello Milove!! So good to hear from you! What a blessing and joy to be able to spend some time with your grandchildren! I’m very impressed that you’ve been able to maintain your weight during all this and with the stressful work you’ve been doing.

Snoozie, you’re so creative with these challenges. I have no ideas that will help. That’s a huge range of abilities and injuries. Maybe something with a game board where you move so many spaces for each exercise? I don’t know. I’m hopeless.

I’m having such a lazy day. I need to get up off the couch and do something but (as my mom says) my get up and go got up and went.
  • Snooozie
    Options

lol no worries Suzy.... i'll figure it out... i would consider the game idea but to be honest it would be too much work for me as i'd be the board keeper LOLOLOL... its hard enuf tracking the points and the types of exercise options done.....

but it really does help in motivation - this week alone together we exercised 59 times! And altho each option only HAS to be 10 min.. a lot of us go much longer but by tracking how many options each person does along the way, finding out at the end of the week we exercised 59 times was a great motivator lol

have you tried any of those videos from that seniors site? im really getting hooked on them.. i've tried a few now.. and today i did the full body with resistance band.. first time i've used my band in a long time and i know i'm gonna feel it tomorrow... but i liked that i was able to keep a very loose tension for the shoulder stuff.. cause i dont wanna aggravate them again..

that was me yesterday having the lazy day.. i had to force myself just to do a stretch video to meet the minimum requirement for the challenge lol... but today i did the strength training one AND did a walk at the local golf course which they have opened up for people to walk during the lockdown.. you can follow the markers they have set or walk wherever you want and it's a 2km loop ... so you never have to worry about running into someone else .. i think i saw a total of 4 people way ahead as i was trucking along lol... we're due for snow tomorrow so i figured it was a nice day here with the sun so get it in while i can lol

hows the foot doing btw and the hand from the surgery??

Vail - hope you are keeping ok my friend...
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    I haven’t tried the videos yet. I’m having a hard time making myself do any kind of actual exercise. I’ve kind of thrown in the towel because I can’t walk and I can’t lift or grip anything heavy for awhile. My foot is a little tiny bit better and my hand is loads better! I need to get out of my own way and just do something. Good for you for doing the daily exercise Snoozie! You truly are an inspiration for me. You make me want to try harder. Thank you!

I’m writing today off and I’m okay with it. I just needed a day off. It’s rainy and foggy and just yucky outside. Tomorrow I’ll get back on it.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Suzy - knowing when you need a self care day is a big part of staying able to deal with all the stress around the pandemic and life itself - there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with a day doing nothing at all except maybe a bit of pampering in whatever form that takes.. i spent most of the afternoon reading with a cup of hot chocolate and blankie lol.. and i was perfectly content with that!! So congratulate yourself for taking the day off - its called taking care of ourselves in just one other way!!

And I can totally understand the difficulty trying to figure out what to do when you have both a hand and a foot injury (but i'm so glad to hear your hand is loads better!) I'm really not pushing this, but that site has some pretty good sitting videos.. even a cardio one (altho i havent tried that one!) But i have done the chair yoga and a coupe of the standing ones.. (cause i can't get down on the mat) so some of them might work for you with your hand and foot... (but only suggesting - my one cousin is dealing with a bum knee and a broken hand too... and i know from her how frustrating it is to try to do any kind of exercise within her limitations.. so i feel for ya.. you could also look at it as maybe its not the time for you to even worry about any exercise.. you're getting a really good handle on your eating right now and your logging - so maybe that's where you're meant to focus your attention instead?

As for the exercise challenge our family is doing virtually - it may not seem like much to the rest of the world or all those people working out 6 hrs a day during lockdown lol, but its keeping each of us moving a little each day in some way, and adding a few giggles along the way.... so we're happy..

I'm still stuck on option 3 so far tho HAHAHA.. did i mention one i considered instead of the half marathon was climbing Mt. kilamanjaro? Its only 38,886 steps ... (Mt Everest is over 58,000) and i figured hmmm ya we could all do that - when you break it down its just over 1500 steps a day over a month, which is nothing... but then i realized... the steps they refer to are STAIRS... not steps lol... so that one went out the window fast!! i think it worked out to 20 flights of stairs a day or something LOL...

As I type here now tho.. i'm thinking.. maybe i could make option 3 a "Flip it Option"... and tell them I'm "flipping" the 3rd option to them - every monday, each of them in turn will have to come up with one NEW thing we all have to try.. and have to complete it within that week.. flip it to them to come up with one.. that way they each only have to do one over the whole month... and they could choose like.. "try an online Tai Chi class" ... or "on a TV night, get UP during every commerical and do squats or walk around the room".. altho i guess a lot of people dont have commericals anymore??? they pvr stuff.... lol oh well.. at least its an idea i can let germinate ...... hahahaha
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    I’m not sure what I did yesterday was really “self care,” more like “selfish carelessness.” I was just lazy and then we ordered pizza for dinner. I ended up eating twice my calorie goal for the day. Today was good though. Back on it. I stayed busy cleaning and puttering, so that helped.

I wish I could help on the exercise ideas. I’m definitely going to try the videos you suggested. I want to do something. I want to go hiking but that’s not a possibility right now. I’m so frustrated. Taking weight off is going to help my foot, so I need to keep that uppermost in my mind.

I’ve set a goal of five pounds a month. That will get me to my goal by the end of the year and I really think it’s possible. I’m almost there for January. The pizza didn’t help. Lol. I’m going to make it though. Let’s face it, life isn’t worth living if I can’t have pizza once a month! Lol.

• Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    My scales finally made up with me , I can see a downward trend.. fingers crossed we don't break up again.

I have managed to cut down my nighttime eating when I get home from work. So that has been helping. I was eating a full meal deal every night at 12 or 1 and THEN GOING TO BED.....NOT GOOD!

Snoozie, I love the flipping option. It should be fun for them to come up with ideas.

Suzy, I fell for you . Pizza and chips my triggers for sure.. You can make your goal.

• suzyqholland
    Options
    As of this morning, I reached my January goal. However I’m not logging it until the 31st. That way I have motivation to not go over my calories all weekend. We’re celebrating our son in law’s birthday on Saturday, so I need that motivation!

Gail, so glad that you’re on good terms with your scale again! Lol. Good for you for cutting down on the midnight meal! That’s got to be so difficult....but you did it!

Snoozie, hope your shoulder is better. The flip option does sound like fun. I bet your family loves having you do this for them. Such a great idea!

Vail and Milove, I hope you’re both doing well and staying healthy! We’re all thinking of you!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Suzy there needs to be another button besides "like".. maybe YAHOO!!!!!!

Huge congrats on hitting your goal for January thats AWESOME!!! WELL done you!! and great idea to wait til the last day of the month (and after the birthday) lol... so happy for you!!!

Gail - also huge congrats on your progress! Thats a huge thing to cut out the habit of a night time meal for sure... well done you too!!

I'm not getting on the scale til Sunday.. altho i've been hopping on and off cause that works better for me, im only going to update my numbers once a month..

My shoulder is fine ty - i started doing the resistance band workouts on the senior site because i can loosen the tension better with it than with dumbbells when i work the shoulder..

I finally finished the February challenge lol.. i did switch it up a bit but changed it to Fun N Fit February haha. and this time went a little easier as i think they're finding this months a little hard by now.. lol..

so for Feb there are still going to be 3 options, but one daily (15 min of any exercise you chose) one weekly (a new thing for everyone to try - stretch the boundaries so to speak) and they have the full 7 days to complete the new thing 2x. I found a Tai Chi for beginners and seniors that is 20 min and did it this morning.. it was actually really good lol.. and it's something ALL of them can do .. and nothing any of us have ever tried... so i have the first week covered.. i just gotta come up with 3 new things to try but i have some breathing room for that now lol)

and one monthly challenge - we're going to complete a half marathon which is 21km (or around 13.5 miles). its about 28,973 steps. which sounds like a lot, but its only 984 steps a day for a month .. so thats a piece of cake. One of them can only use a recumbent bike cause of her knee probs.. so she just has to rack up 13.5 miles on the bike (which is about 13 min a day - and she does 10-15 so that will work for her too)..

so hopefully this will be a fun month for them and let us try a few new things too.. but its too funny because as we all know, our computers continue data mining based on our searches.. so i'm getting a lot of ads for all kinds of weird things from my searches for differnent exercises hahaha..

have a great day everyone!! Vail and Milove - sending hugs

• Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Yay Suzy! I knew you would do it!

Tai Chi..... I have always wondered if I could do it. I think I am to impatient and it looks like you need a lot of patience to move so fluidly.

It was a brief romance...I am back up to 200..... I realize it is probably fluid though.. so we may get back together at some point.. grinning : )

Stay well my friends!
    G
  • Snooozie
    Options
    lmao Gail!

You are preaching to the choir with being too impatient - i found myself when i was trying yoga thinking the whole time "is this over yet" LOLOL...

but i have to admit that i'm finding the chair yoga very relaxing.. and it's getting easier to actually slow down and relax during it.. maybe because they are quite short and that helps..

And the tai chi - honestly i was just trying to find something new for them to try, expand their horizons so to speak... and that everyone in the group could do... i've done it twice now to test it out.. and who knew... really like it a lot too lol..... the one i found is a beginners for seniors, and its also quite short (20 min) .. and its slow fluid movements.. anyway i'm hoping they will have an open mind and try it LOL)

Just in case you find you wanna see what its like here's the link
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=tai+chi+for+seniors+youtube&&view=detail&mid=9A7D1704ACA37817F86C9A7D1704ACA37817F86C&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=/videos/search?q=tai+chi+for+seniors+youtube&FORM=HDRSC3
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    Yay!!! I exceeded my January goal by a pound and a half!!! I was so proud of my self control last night. I had grilled salmon and a side salad and only one small dinner roll. I spent my time holding my grand baby while the others ate their steaks and loaded baked potatoes and brownies with ice cream. It’s not the same as eating at a restaurant but take out is good, too.

I woke up yesterday with an extremely sore upper back and neck. I’m either channeling you, Snoozie or something is going on. What did you end up doing for yours?
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Suzy - HUGE HUGE congrats on your accomplishment - thats fantastic !!!! im so happy for you not only meeting but EXCEEDING your goal.. well done you!

the only thing i did was the physio exercises i was given.. which is basically 3 moves

1. stand against a wall, push your chin back so your head touches the wall.. hold for 5.. repeat 5 times, several times a day (for me its because I "turtle" - my head is too far forward on my neck so if you don't turtle dont do that one)

2. s-l-o-w-l-y tilt your head, ear to your right shoulder, making sure head is NOT forward.. hold for 10-30 seconds remember to breathe. slowly raise head to center and repeat c-5 times, several times a day

3.. slowly turn your head so your is facing sideways (chin above shoulder) tilt your head slowly down as if you were trying to sniff your underarm (ha) hold for 10-20 seconds, slowly raise your chin and return to center. Repeat 3-5 times, several time a day then do other side

if there is any pain other than a mild "feeling the stretch" kind, stop.

I dont know if any of that will help, but those are what i'm supposed to be doing.
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    Thank you! I’ve been icing it today and doing some gentle stretching. I’ll add these tomorrow. It’s always something, isn’t it?
  • Snooozie
    Options

I don't know if it's more your neck or your upper back/shoulder, but my physiotherapist once told me our necks don't like ice... lol so i dont ice mine but i DO alternate heat and ice on my shoulder when it's messed up - kinda just around and above the scapula for me ..

hope you feel better soon!

Kind of hard to believe it's February already!
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    Having a frustrating week so far. The scale went up just a bit instead of moving down. I’ve been logging every single thing I eat and while I’m not always hitting my calorie goal, I’m not exceeding it by that much. I’m just impatient. I do need to start doing more intentional movement. Something comes up almost every day. I’m taking my dad for his second vaccination tomorrow and collecting all his paperwork for filing his taxes. I’m sure I’ll end up doing their grocery shopping, filling mom’s medicine keeper and balancing their checkbook. It will be a full day. Oh well, there’s always Friday. Lol.