2021 One day, or today. You decide

Options

Replies

• suzyqholland
    suzyqholland Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    Snoozie, any news on the March 8th “get out of jail free” decision? When are you eligible for your vaccinations? I heard on the news that they’re predicting we may have herd immunity by as early as late April. That sounds optimistic to me but I’m so ready for this to be over.

I hope everyone is staying healthy and strong! Have a good weekend!
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    Hey Suzy

Well... we get out of jail on Monday... except everything is still closed like hair dressers, gyms, etc. Some of the non essential stores will be allowed to open with 25% capacity... but i don't need anything from those.. i would like to get my hair cut since i've only had it cut once in the last year.. but even that at this point is like whatever....

so as of Monday, they WANT us to still stay at home because they're afraid everyones going to run to the stores and malls and start spreading it again.. so basically nothing has changed for me. I might be able to meet a friend who is as cautious as i am taking same precautions in her backyard next week.. we're supposed to get a couple of warmish (like 40F) days so we can socially distance there and have a yap..

as for the vaccines right now i don't know.. maybe July or August for me; they just approved 2 new vaccines here for us on top of the 2 we had.. but they changed the system they were using.. instead of holding back the 2nd dose for everyone who got the first one (its supposed to be get the 2nd in 21 days) they decided to use the 2nd dose to give more people the first jab.... figured rather than keep the stuff sitting there as such ... but now people are upset about their decision to delay the 2nd jab for 4 months instead of the 21 days.. sigh

anyway.. right now they are only doing 85+ then second phase will be emergency services, health workers, immuno compromised people, transit, pharmacy, grocery etc.. then i think the plan is to by age for gen population - 70+, 65+ etc. So basically the short answer is i dont know lol i'll just wait til they call me and say your turn and i'll be there.

• Snooozie
    Options
    So... i found my motivation the hard way. Got a call from both docs wednesday on recent bloodwork and blood sugars are the highest they have ever been. I can't say i was surprised and i admitted to diabetes doc i survived the pandemic on a bag of chips every day. She was actually really good.. didn't yell at me just said you're not the only one... we actually had a good chat. But the # scared the crap out of me because it's never been that high ever.. she also wants to put me on a diff med which will also as a side benefit supposedly help with the food cravings and reduces appetite so people tend to lose weight.. i told her the only prob was i didnt eat because i was hungry it was emotional eating or boredom... but it also protects your heart and a few other things better and helps bring down the blood sugars which is the actual reason she wants me on it...

The drug is very expensive tho.. about $250 a month and its one my insurance has to get a bunch of paperwork from the doc on before they will decide if they will cover it or not... so that will take a few weeks just to find out..

but in the interim i am totally back on track... i wrote out my # and put it on my cupboard door where i see it every time i go into the kitchen as a reminder. I have been doing some exercise a few times a week over the winter but i ramped it up the last 2 days and increased my walking but now my IT band is screaming and i can barely hobble around the living room lol. But hearing that has certainly reminded me why i can here originally and i am going to lose 25 pounds and cut out the junk. Notice i didn't put a time frame on the weight loss I'm going to do - that's not because i dont think i can do it, i know i can and i will.. i just dont want to conentrate on a certain amount in a certain time, i just want to focus on losing it one pound at a time.

So that's where i'm at now.. i've updated everything to my current weight and what not.. im starting to log again but more just having much smaller meals than usual.. and drinking more water so really just going back to the basics that i started with so long ago that got me where I wanted to be when i first came here. So it's all good - moving forward and determined.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    As you can see, i didnt want to do a huge post so i split it up lol.. but first thing was i meant to ask how your mom is doing Suzy.. and say hi to Vail and Gail and Milove )
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    I’m so sorry your numbers weren’t what you wanted but it sounds like you’re extremely motivated to bring them down. I know you can do it! I really hope your insurance comes through with paying for the medication. That’s crazy expensive! It sounds like you have a wonderful plan with the smaller meals, plenty of water and movement. If you figure out how to loosen up that IT band, share your secret! Mine is always tight as well.

I am cautiously optimistic about the pain in my foot the last few days. Fingers crossed that it’s maybe getting a bit better! I did my whopping 15 minute walk today and it was fine!

My mom is doing okay. Her mood and attitude is like a roller coaster. One minute she’s okay and happy that she was able to stand and walk a couple steps and the next she’s angry and telling us to come get her or call the police because she’s being held against her will. It’s emotionally draining and exhausting. I’m doing my best to stay away from the gin. Lol.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, that does sound draining, Suzy. Really good that she's able to walk a couple of steps though! I hope she continues to get better, both physically and emotionally. And your foot of course, as well ... that seems to have just dragged on and on.

I'm sorry about your results, Snoozie. Maybe it's the stress of this whole thing as well that has affected them? But it sounds like you're on the case. In a way the fact that you've been eating rubbish makes it easier to change - would be so demoralising if you'd been doing everything perfectly. I'm excited about the drug! Which one is it if you don't mind sharing? I hope it works out with the insurance. £250 a month is a lot but if it's protecting you from heart disease as well then it might be cost effective.

Your vaccination programme sounds similar to the UK one. They've delayed the doses here - big gamble, but it does seem to be paying off as more people have had some protection more quickly - they're saying almost a third have had their first dose now. The first of the second doses are coming round about now, so we don't know for sure how it will affect protection with two doses, but looking really positive. I think all over 55s can have it now.

I hope you all get yours soon: obviously it's good for protection from Covid, but it also does wonders for your stress levels! :lol:

I like your back to basics plan, Snoozie. I'm trying to do that at the moment. I have been up and down emotionally, must be taking lessons from Suzy's mom, lol! But not too bad at the moment, and the eating is more under control. Have gone back to doing a bit of fasting at the moment, because that has worked so well for me before. I also reviewed my weight charts, and to my surprise I'm actually slightly lighter than I was a year ago, when the pandemic hit. So I feel encouraged that although I've been fluctuating I've managed to keep it under control to some extent. I do need to lose quite a bit though.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Vail - i think that's AWESOME you are slightly lighter than you were a year ago!! That's AMAZING considering what we've been thru with the pandemic and all the physical and emotional effects so well done YOU!!

And i completely understand about your going back to IF as it worked for you.. and that's what i'm doing too... going back to what worked for me to lose the excess weight. And that's what I'm focusing on completely - im not even really worrying about calories as such altho i do want to try to start logging again but more just eating so much less than i have been. Back last year when my thyroid was so out of whack and i was eating anything i wanted and as MUCH as i wanted and still losing weight i think somewhere in my head i thot i could still do that!! i'm sure stress had a lot to do with things but mostly to do with my emotional eating and i have to be honest it was stuffing my face with crap that got me here.. i was living on carbs hence why i wasnt surprised really but i was shocked with how high it went... so indeed that has become my big motivator again, my health vs what food can i have or not.. its early days but as long as i remember why i am doing this i should be ok...

and i like your comment Vail - about at least i know WHY from eating all the crap.. i would have been seriously down indeed if i had been following all the good rules and it was still high.. so i know i can change it by smartening up!

The new drug is called Rybelsus (sp?) It would replace the current mix im on of janumet and metformin so i wouldnt be adding a drug, just switching it out.. apparently its been around in injectable form for 10 yrs but only in pill form for about a year hence why i have to get the insurance to determine if they will cover it i guess.. i can't afford that much a month without the insurance so fingers crossed... and apparently it helps with cravings and appetite as a side bonus.. altho bigger one being more protection for heart. It would be used along with the regular metfomin so would cut out the current janumet/metformin mix im on.

Suzy - omg i can only imagine the stress from your mom's up and downs added in.. while i completely appreciate how she feels - we all get so tired of being in pain and especially with rehab, doing something like physio you know is gonna hurt is counter intuitive to us - it doesnt matter that we know it will help just the thought of doing something thats gonna bring us pain is a downer. BUT... people dont get how hard it is on others to try to constantly pump them up and keep them positive; its emotionally draining and dealing with all the other stress with the whole situation with your parents on top of it... ya keep that gin bottle handy just in case!! Nothing wrong with having ONE drink now and then remember - of course for me and wine, its never about having one lol...

im so glad your foot seems to be getting better - yay on the 15 min walk and being ok after... i know its hard considering how much hiking you are so used to and enjoy, but if you stick with the recovery plan hopefully you'll be back up those mountains sooner than later!!

• Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    So sorry
    Suzy. Praying for her quick recovery. So she can get back home to her loved ones.
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    I also loved Vail’s comment about you knowing why the numbers were up. That is such a great observation and helps you realize that you really do know how to fix this. Not knowing why the numbers went up would have been so frustrating!

Yes, it has been almost a year since my foot issue flared up. I didn’t mind not hiking last summer...the trails were closed for awhile and it was so hot! I was able to do a very small amount of hiking in the Fall. I don’t know why is flared up again a few months ago. I’m just so tired of it. We have our annual trip to the mountains at the end of April and we traditionally go hiking several days. I’m sincerely hoping that I’m going to be able to do it. We were planning to do an overnight but that may be out of the question.

Each state is in control of how they want to handle the vaccinations here. My 42 year old niece in Texas got hers, my 67 year old sister with health issues was just allowed to get hers in Arkansas, I’m not eligible in Georgia yet. It’s craziness!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Suzy - hopefully if you follow the physio plan of the 15 min walk at a time then i assume increasing a bit if all good, then you will be able to enjoy your hiking at the end of April.. i know it seems like it's taking forever .. i've only experienced a few minor foot probs over the years but i can remember how much it affected my mobility so keeping fingers crossed your progress continues well

In our province (which is like one of your states) each region within is responsible for booking the vaccines... so its a little confusing because some have already started the most vulnerable as per phase 1 while others have not - like everyone it's all waiting for stock of the vaccine to come in. I think i'll be around July - my birthday is on the 8th so depending on how they do it by age and when, i'm not sure if i'll stay in the 55-59 or make the 60-65 cut lol.. I am absolutely fine with them doing all the most vulnerable and essential workers first because i do have the "luxury" if you will of staying safe at home until mine is due.. but I'm hoping the promise that they will be ramping things up faster quite soon comes to pass lol.

• Snooozie
    Options
    We had a spring day today so went to a part of the waterfront trail i'd never been before.. lots of little paths going here and there - main one was busy so i just stayed on the dirt trails.. and it was lovely.. will try and post a few pics if i can... was just strolling not walking but after 3 days of being unable to move with my back messed up it was lovely to be out in the sun and knowing spring WILL come!
  • Vailara
    Options
    That sound lovely, Snoozie. It's been rough weather here, cold, windy and rainy, so I'm not walking as much as usual. But as you say, good to know spring is coming and seeing the bulbs flowering now. That new drug sounds amazing. I do hope you get the insurance sorted for it.

I found myself comfort baking the last couple of days. Was craving florentines and had the ingredients in the house. Bad idea. The one thing I'll say about baking is that I think when you're weighing out butter and sugar it really brings it home to you how much there is in the finished product. It's not like I'd just sit down and eat a plate of butter and sugar, that would obviously be so unhealthy. But stick it in a cake and it's suddenly so easy to eat!

I also bought a slice of cake on my last visit to the bakers. I'm surrounded by wonderful bakers, and need to stop but there are so many excuses! If I bake at home, I tell myself that I'm saving money and using wholesome ingredients. If I buy from the baker's, I tell myself that it's portion controlled because I'm not baking a batch, and I'm supporting a small business and it's a really rare treat of something special, and I'm buying it with a really healthy seeded wholemeal sourdough which cancels it out, etc.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the occasional treat, but if somebody were hypothetically to be queueing outside the baker's once or even twice a week, and also baking at home, then it's not occasional any more, lol!
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    If I was surrounded by wonderful bakers then I would be doomed. That’s my weakness for sure. Baking at home is doubly hard to handle...the smell, the availability! The struggle is real! Yes, having a treat is perfectly fine you just have to work it into your week (or twice a week!). Maybe have half of that piece of cake or pastry or croissant or whatever? I’m sure you’ll conquer this challenge!

Snoozie, it sounds wonderful! I love finding new trails and walking paths. Our trees are on the brink of blooming, the daffodils are in full bloom and spring is so close! I hate to hear that your back is bothering you. You didn’t try moving that new washing machine yourself, did you?

Good news! They’ve made my age group (55 and up) eligible for the vaccine starting Monday! Now I’ve just got to figure out how to get it.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    lol i would also be doomed if i had access to really good bakeries around me... i do have one within walking distance but it isn't fabulous as such... its good mind you but nothing that is my particular nemesis which is chocolate lol.. I've actually finally stopped baking at home... i did make a chocolate chip cookie bar type thing (because i was too lazy to roll into cookies so i pressed it into a 9x9 pan lol.. i did actually use a recipe for cookie bars but i cut them all up and froze the pieces ... and i still have a couple left... it worked out well actually because they are so rich i cut them into quite small pieces so i just nuke one for about 10 seconds from the freezer and they get all gooey like just out of the oven..

LOL @ moving the washer.... nope with this one i dont have to chase it it's staying put :) but honestly .. i think i've only done 2 loads maybe 3 since i got it lol. having all that time without one made me realize i was doing laundry way too often!

i've really been working hard at eating less and eating better - i just have to remember to not let myself get starved because thats when i go nuts.. i bought a tub of whole walnuts today for snacks.. the whole ones are sweet where the halves or pieces i find are often bitter.. so i can have a few of those when im suddenly starved and it will tide me over til i can make something healthy.. i had some nice pork souvlaki tonite with some roasted veg... and i made a batch of pea soup to freeze.. im trying to eat more at lunch and keep dinner to a bit less.. someitmes its hard but i do find if i have a bowl of soup and slice of whole grain bread or even a 1/2 grilled cheese with the whole grain on the side with the soup its more than enough. I haven't seen any weight loss as yet - i do hop on the scale still every day but im only going to update my check in once a month... so fingers crossed!!

Suzy that's awesome on the vaccine!! They just opened up a project here for 60-64 yr olds to get the Astra zeneca vaccine as they can't use it on older people - it took me 2 days of trying to book an apt because there were no oepnings anywhere.. but finally got one for next Thurs.. yay!! I will keep my fingers crossed you can get one booked asap.... Vail if i recall you had at least one shot already??

We have had a few days of gorgeous weather; sunny and between 30-40F so have gotten a lot of a walks in. I still try to do one stretch video a day as i find it does help with flexibility and still do an occasional live class on zoom from our rec centre.. (with the camera OFF of course lol).. i still dont work as hard when i know the instructor can't see me LOL.. but at least i'm moving my parts here and there lol...

Will check in tomorrow to see how everyone is doing!
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    I have no idea what pork souvlaki is but it sounds like a complicated recipe to me. Lol. Just two nights ago I was telling myself that I have GOT to get my dinner size under control again. I was doing so well for awhile but it has crept back into full big meals. I did better yesterday but I went to bed hungry. I guess that’s okay. I slept well so no harm done.

I’m so impressed that you’re so dedicated to moving every day. Good for you Snoozie! I need to start moving more. My foot is continuing to improve so I’m cautiously optimistic that hiking is in my not too distant future. I’m babying it and I need to start walking more....but it’s actually feeling better and I don’t want to do something that will set me back. Or maybe I’m just lazy. Lol.

I’m so glad you got an appointment for your vaccination! We have to wait until tomorrow to even try to get an appointment and right now they’re giving anyone in the education field priority, which I totally understand. Hopefully we’ll get an appointment before the end of March but it’s still better than the original projections of July.

My granddaughter turns one year old today! Can you believe it? We’re going over for a cupcake later today.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Suz.. souvlaki is just grilled chicken, pork or lamb (whichever you prefer) that has been marinated in a simple marinade of olive oil, lemon juice and oregano then grilled - its a greek dish and i make the chicken souvlaki all the time because its so fast and easy and weirdly for as simple as the marinade is, it tastes great lol.. i cut up the chicken into chunks and toss it in a baggie with the olive oil, lemon juice and oregano for an hour or 2 then pan fry it... the tsziki sauce is just a greek yogurt kind of dip that you can buy in any supermarket.. its yummy and i dont like greek yogurt btw but i love tzsiki. I love the leftovers cause i can toss them into a greek salad the next day, or add some roasted potatoes along with... you know me im lazy so no complicated recipes here! (i got the pork one because they didnt have any chicken btw lol)

The challenges have helped with the moving every day Suzy... and its not like im doing crazy workouts, i just try to do at least 2 of the "options" as we call em.. stretch, balance, cardio or strength training.. every day.. i ditched the online class today because it was the goofy guy i dont like lol. he treats us all like idiot old grandmas ha.. but i will definitely go for a nice walk this afternoon when it warms up a bit..

I hear you on the dinner.. my whole life i've been trained that the main meal is dinner so i struggle believe me.. having the soup on hand helps or a good salad with some protein .. its just i know im less active at night so hoping shifting to eating more when i'm more active will help... the scales were down a wee bit this morning - not much but at least its moving so that helps too.. but i still have my moments for sure..

Fingers crossed you can get a booking date asap!!

OMG really on your grand daughter?? holy cow seems like just the other day she was born! how lovely you get to spend time with her today.... and enjoy that cupcake... its a perfect treat size!
  • Vailara
    Options
    Funny you should mention souvlaki and tsatsiki, Snoozie. I have just bought some chicken and was wondering what to do with it (I've mainly been eating veggie), but I also have some greek yoghurt that needs to be eaten in the next day or two. I have some cucumber and herbs which I could use to a sort of tsatsiki, also olive oil, lemon juice, etc. Have just realised I've spelt it wrong.

I tend to feel hungry when I start eating, so I sometimes postpone lunch and often lunch and evening meal are getting blended into one. Which means I can have bigger portions! I don't want to have my main meal at lunchtime, because I don't have time to enjoy it when I'm working, so would rather wait till the evening when I can relax. I'm thinking I should probably go lowish carb again, but don't feel ready for it. But I do think it works well for appetite control and getting nutrients in. Just not ready to let the carbs go just at the minute!

I'm glad your getting your vaccines booked. Yes, I've had my first dose and should have the second next week. Frontline health and social care workers were high up the list here, so I got the first dose relatively early. It has helped my anxiety levels! I would have had it by now because of my health conditions anyway, and in fact because of my age - my friends are now getting appointments.

Happy Birthday to your granddaughter, Suzy! What a year!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Vail - awesome you had the yogurt and cucumber and chicken on hand lol.. let me know if you ended up making it? and I have no idea of the right spelling of tsziki either.. lol

I wish i could go low carb... i already know i last about 24 hrs lol.. i am trying to choose better carbs like the full grain thin slice breads (not the dempsters kind but the real whole grains and seeded breads) BUT in my head i still think ok its nice and healthy so i can have more.. but it's still bread!!

Yesterday i made the mistake of picking up a small pkg of oreo thins that was on sale when i went to pick up my script.. i thot ok i like a little sweet with my coffee after dinner... and these are thins...(uh huh) well once i opened the package that was the end of me ... on the day i finally saw the scale move down? Yup... sabotage or what..

I just have to keep remembering its the consistency that counts... not the "i did good today" day.. but consistently every day when i wake up reminding myself i need to do this for health reasons.... and i have to make sure that every day, i choose today :)

They are waiting on vaccines here to start booking the 80+ people; I am more concerned these days about all the variants coming up!! And I heard on the radio today about Miami and spring break going nuts... omg.... they actually cancelled spring break here well they pushed it back to mid april in the hopes of keeping people from non essential travel...

Suzy did you get a pic of you and the birthday girl???? :)
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    My husband was able to get an appointment but we’re still trying to get one for me. It’s all online and it’s so frustrating.

I know what you mean about the Oreos. I always think that I can control myself but nope! If it’s in the house then I’m eating it. You’re right though, one slip up does not undo all the good you’ve done. You might lose a small battle but not the war.

I lost almost fifty pounds on Atkins years and years ago. I ended up gaining it all back plus more. I just don’t think I can sustain low carb eating.

My granddaughter started walking last night! Exactly one year old! I do have a pic but didn’t want to flood our chats with photos of her. Lol.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Believe me I’d love to see pictures!!