Daily Check In: Are You On Track Today?

Options

Replies

• Paulawilldo
    Paulawilldo Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I am a huge IMAX fan Shari. The movie you saw sounds like something I would enjoy too. Exciting news about your Guatemala trip. Have you ever been there before? Wonderful to be doing work with your youth the way you do.

I did better with my food choices today, so getting closer to my better days. We had a surprise visit (20 minutes notice) from some friends we haven't seen in quite a while. John and I are fond of the husband, but the wife is kind of annoying and she does almost all of the talking. But since the DH is so sweet, we did enjoy their visit.
  • shariletts
    shariletts Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    The trip to Guatemala will be first, and I am assuming my only trip there. Yesterday I had my Shingrex vaccine and I had a rough night. Freezing and a headache. I took a Tylenol this morning and I am starting to feel better. I will need a nap today. I hardly slept. In better news, I did manage to eat better yesterday. That's a win and a change in the right direction.

Glad you had good day Paula. You have had a lot of company lately and are managing very well. That is good! I am getting tired of being around people, but it has been nice to see people I haven't in awhile. I still have a few days before I am back to work. I am thankful for the break.
  • Paulawilldo
    Options
    Oh Shari, so sorry to learn of your reaction to the vaccine. Good that you are off and have some time to take care of yourself. Congrats on eating better! Yes, I have had a lot of company lately and today was no exception. We had a visit from a very kind man whom we met through a mutual friend about 10 years ago. He and his wife are in their early 70s, and he is a very successful local businessman who has always been very generous to John and even to me. He dropped by to give us some gift cards as a Christmas present. His kindness and generosity is incredible! I have no idea why he is so kind to us, but he sure is. When he heard we were adopting Buster (almost 2 years ago), he even paid the adoption fee for us and didn't want us to know he did, but we found out through our mutual friend. John and I are truly blessed.
  • shariletts
    Options
    I have recovered from the side effects of the vaccine. Just a headache yesterday and a Tylenol took care of that. January 5, I have another vaccine and that one will take me out too. At least from what I heard. January will be a hard month for my body, but then I should be all good.

Paula- that is so wonderful to have such generous friends- wow! It is a blessing.

We have one more day/evening with friends. That is going to be my limit I'm afraid. Monday I will want to cocoon and be on my own (with DH). It won't be a great eating day as we are ordering dinner in. I wish I felt like cooking, but I just don't think I want to.

Happy New Year to all!
  • Paulawilldo
    Options
    Happy to see you bounced back from the vaccine reaction Shari. You are brave going for the next one. I would probably wimp out and then regret doing so. It was mostly a lazy day here. We ate a mix of leftovers and some freshly cooked turkey sausage. I ate too much but started out too hungry...bad for me to let that happen. Tomorrow is our traditional pork (loin) and sauerkraut New Year's day meal. I will make mashed potatoes for John but plan to have little to none of them. We have an online church service at 10 am on New Year's Day and after that will relax and enjoy some football, etc.

A happy, healthy, and blessed new year to all!
  • DW2022
    DW2022 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Just checking in quickly to wish you and your families a very Happy New Year! Miranda is here for a bit and hopefully will come back tomorrow for pork and sauerkraut . I will check back in tomorrow!
  • shariletts
    Options
    Mmmm! Pork and sauerkraut for you both. I need to make plans to make that next year and join in on the tradition. But we will watch some football.

I am taking my Sabbath today since yesterday we were doing some things around the house in preparation for having friends over. I ended up making sourdough bread and it turned out pretty well. I would like to make one loaf a week, but we will see. It's not hard, I just have to be committed to be at home for a good part of the day. It might work to do it on a work from home day.

I am going to see if I can read the Bible in a year. A friend is doing it and asked me to join her. I plan to listen a lot. It might work out to listen as I go back and forth from work. That would be a hour on three days a week and then I would need to figure out another time too.

Ready to lose some weight with the holidays behind me.
  • Paulawilldo
    Options
    Sourdough is a favorite of mine. I remember reading that sourdough bread is the healthiest bread choice because of the way our bodies metabolize it. I wish I could recall where I read that for more specifics. Reading the Bible in a year can be an interesting challenge. Shari, I wish you all the best with that if you pursue it. I look it as any additional reading is wonderful, whether or not you get through the entire Bible or not. I, too, am ready to get back to losing weight. I know it can be done, and I don't want to waste any time now that the holidays are over. I won't visit the scale for a while, but I will get back to tracking my food and making healthier choices.
  • shariletts
    Options
    Back to work today. I am not sure if I am ready or not! I hope to fit some walks in during my breaks so as not to be sitting at my desk for the whole day. I have three daily goals for January. To get in 5000 steps, to drink 8 cups of water and to drink milk. Yesterday I only managed to get my water goal accomplished. I was pretty close with the steps but even with a big walk in the afternoon, I fell short.

To healthy choices today.
  • Paulawilldo
    Options
    Shari, I applaud your goals! I hadn't set any goals, but you inspired me to give this some serious thought and effort. My first goal is to track my food daily, including snacks. I really slipped on this over the holidays. A second goal is to stay within my daily points and use only half of my "weeklies" when available. I will continue to think and add some meaningful goals in the next few days.
    I was quite tired today and allowed myself time to rest. I had to catch up on reading for our Tuesday evening online church class. I read enough to be ahead for the next few weeks.
  • shariletts
    Options
    Well, I was successful with my water intake and having milk. I did not get my steps in. No weight has fallen off yet either. I need to re-lose some of the same pounds from last year before I can boast about any new losses.

It's was a quiet start back to work, I think it will be another quiet day today and that is nice. We still don't have snow and that sure makes driving easy. We are expecting some cooler temperatures and I am not too excited about that. Thankfully winter is making a late arrival this year.
  • Paulawilldo
    Options
    Shari, I feel as if I gained over the holidays which is why I am avoiding the scale for a while. It distresses me too much if the number is too bad...and then discouragement takes the place of motivation for me....strange, I know. I did much better today with my food choices. Having eggs for breakfast seems to help me stay satisfied and sets the tone for a good day for me.

I was again quite tired today and didn't accomplish much of anything. I am wondering if my muscle relaxer medication is contributing to my fatigue. January 3rd is always a day I allow myself to do nothing much as it is the anniversary of my mother's death in 1990 and of her mother's death in 1984. As you might recall, my mother and her mother died on the same date 6 years apart. It is also the date of my father's first amputation in 1994. So I tend to take this date as a "personal day" to do whatever. I was not depressed or particularly sad today, but rather quite reminiscent. I like that I can focus on the memories (some of which are sad of course) but not get too down or depressed.
  • DW2022
    DW2022 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Hello! I have also been working on goals but haven’t yet completed them….that would require some time to sit in peace, pray and think. I do have a start but have a few more areas to consider. I have several areas that I want to work on and now need specifics for each area.. my areas are spiritual, health, social, financial, family, house, and dogs. I have family, house and dogs worked out.
    Work was good today! Busy and enjoyable! I wish I didn’t have so much discomfort in the evening and suspect that it would be decreased significantly if I get to a healthy weight. I hope you both have a wonderful evening-stay safe and warm!!
  • shariletts
    Options
    I have been eating a day everyday for breakfast and find that it helps keep me satisfied. I had the munchies last night and ate some of DH's chips. That needs to be the end of that!

I am glad you took some time to reflect on some of the memories you had with close family yesterday Paula. All of those events had an impact on you.

Great for creating goals DW! I settled on some health goals and one spiritual goal. Getting to that healthy weight would be wonderful for all of us. It doesn't seem to get any easier, but we can keep trying!
  • Paulawilldo
    Options
    DW, I admire your ambition with working out your goals. Maybe one of my goals should be to be more ambitious!!

Shari, I know the munchies all too well. Sometimes they hit me in the afternoon and sometimes in the evening.

I had a good day today. I had a substantial to do list and felt good enough to accomplish almost all of it. I am very pleased about that. My eating was on track too. I have made a to do list for tomorrow but it is not as involved as today's list was. I skipped one of my muscle relaxers and didn't have the tiredness/fatigue today so perhaps the med was increasing my fatigue. I will start to pay more attention to this.
  • shariletts
    Options
    I didn't drink all of my water or get all of my steps in, but I did get closer than the day before. No movement on the scale, but I am hoping to see some kind of loss soon. I had to push myself to get on the treadmill to walk for a half hour.

Today our youth are going on retreat. I don't need to go but I will be heading to the office to help send them off. I do get more steps naturally in my day when I have to go to the office but I think I will still have to jump on the treadmill tonight if I want to reach my goal.

Let's hope you can manage your meds and your fatigue Paula
  • Paulawilldo
    Options
    Shari, good for you for working on your goals even by using the treadmill. I used to try to get my steps in by doing extra walking using the cart to hold on to in the grocery store, back when I walked around stores. It did help me a bit to increase my steps.

I did ok today, slipped up on the tracking already....ugh! I didn't nap today (yay!) and managed to get some things done. Tomorrow's to do list is reasonable so I should be able to tackle most, if not all, of it. We are expecting our first snow storm since Feb. 2021. After 2 essentially snow-less winters it will be interesting to see how things go for folks. Only 3 to 6 inches are predicted, so not a real big deal. The challenge here will be for John and Buster, especially if the ramp to our home is slippery. Not sure about my snow removal guy helping. When I contacted him a while ago he asked me to find someone else since he prefers to do "commercial" properties these days. I wasn't able to find anyone yet so I am praying he will come through for me. I hired him quite a few years ago when he was just starting out in his business, and he has always been a great young guy. I hope he doesn't let me down!
  • shariletts
    Options
    I got so many in steps in without even trying while I was out and about for work. It was nice to skip out on getting on the treadmill. So far I feel fine after taking the Typhoid pill, but I don't have much planned for the day just in case I get flu like symptoms.

We just got a dusting of snow, but it's not much. It is not normal for us. The temperature will be dropping so that's sad. I really don't like the cold at all. I hope you do okay with your expected snow Paula.
  • Paulawilldo
    Options
    Congrats on your steps today Shari! Hope you continue to feel ok after the Typhoid pill. Good idea to keep your schedule open just in case.
    The snow arrived as predicted here for us. Not sure how much we got but it is still coming. The latest report I saw is to expect snow to continue at a rate of 1 to 3 inches per hour of heavy wet snow. Earlier this evening it sounded like some sleet mixed in. Winds are at about 35 mph at times, which is bad for the blowing through our breezeway. Fingers crossed for my snow removal guy to come sometime. If not, I am sure Craig will help at some point.
    I did fine with my food choices today. I wasn't really very hungry. I got a few things done from my to do list, but 2 phone calls from church friends tied me up more than I would have anticipated. No to do list for tomorrow...it's Sunday.
  • shariletts
    Options
    I didn't end up getting any ill effects from the pill. I take the second one tonight. So that was good. I stayed home and did laundry and cleaned up a few more Christmas decorations.

Thankful for Sunday and being able to enjoy a day off with no plans. That is wonderful!

I will be curious to see how much snow you ended up getting. I feel so blessed that we don't have any more than a dusting so far. It's so unusual.