Daily Chats and Encouragements

Replies

• Marilynsretired
    Marilynsretired Posts: 5,588 Member

5z5yvaqaldkc.jpg

• Restfinder
    Restfinder Posts: 2,552 Member
    I found this poem while going through the blog posts, such a wonderful blessing. It's long, but well worth the time to read it:

06/26/13 ONLY ONE LIFE
    In June of 2013, one of my friends suffered the loss of a loved one. The mother had posted this poem. It is a great poem by a great servant of God who served as a missionary in China, India and Africa.

A poem by C.T. Studd
    “Two little lines I heard one day,
    Traveling along life’s busy way;
    Bringing conviction to my heart,
    And from my mind would not depart;
    Only one life, ’twill soon be past,
    Only what’s done for Christ will last.

Only one life, yes only one,
    Soon will its fleeting hours be done;
    Then, in ‘that day’ my Lord to meet,
    And stand before His Judgment seat;
    Only one life,’twill soon be past,

Only one life, the still small voice,
    Gently pleads for a better choice
    Bidding my selfish aims to leave,
    And to God’s holy will to cleave;

Only one life, a few brief years,
    Each with its burdens, hopes, and fears;
    Each with its clays I must fulfill,
    living for self or in His will;

When this bright world would tempt me sore,
    When Satan would a victory score;
    When self would seek to have its way,
    Then help me Lord with joy to say;

Give me Father, a purpose deep,
    In joy or sorrow Thy word to keep;
    Faithful and true what e’er the strife,
    Pleasing Thee in my daily life;

Oh let my love with fervor burn,
    And from the world now let me turn;
    Living for Thee, and Thee alone,
    Bringing Thee pleasure on Thy throne;
    Only one life, “twill soon be past,

Only one life, yes only one,
    Now let me say,”Thy will be done”;
    And when at last I’ll hear the call,
    I know I’ll say “twas worth it all”;
    Only one life,’twill soon be past,
    Only what’s done for Christ will last. ”

— extra stanza —

And when I am dying, how happy I’ll be,
    If the lamp of my life has been burned out for Thee.”
  • Marilynsretired

rzn8wsuidpi0.jpg

• bren5535
    bren5535 Posts: 873 Member
    dx468h5oau2z.jpg

My friend Laura, who brought me Thanksgiving dinner, is coming by Christmas Eve to bring me pizza and some home made treats. That's their tradition...and she's including me. I so appreciate it.

My manager stopped by today and gave me a gift card! My name was drawn in the Bumpas Properties yearly drawing. That was cool! Now, I'll be looking at the Chili's menu online until Spring. LOL

I cancelled my bone scan appt. for Thursday. My left foot went south yesterday and has me hobbled again. Our frigid front is to move in Thursday night with a low of 7....I'll be hunkered down a few days. So glad I don't have to be anywhere but home most days!

Love and prayers for us all as we finish out another year.
  • Restfinder
    That's a bummer about the appointment, and them cold temps. You probably need to make sure that you are taking something to help strengthen your bones. I know that calcium can cause problems, but I was reading just yesterday that magnesium also helps to strengthen bones, you just need the chelated (glycinate or bisglycinatae) or the threonate ones. I take the threonate and ordered the glycinate for my monthy subscription since it seems several of my joints are weak and hurting. The other magnesiums work on your stomach and aren't very good at absorbing. They are good if you are constipated but not much else. They didn't even help me with that! LOL!

Well, I got my tunic in the mail that I ordered clear from China (I didn't really know that when I bought it). It isn't any larger than the too small one I already had and it's two sizes bigger! A 4X in China is not the same as a 4X in America. The tunic doesn't come in a size larger than 3X anywhere in America so I guess I will have to lose about 20 pounds to fit into it, or decide that I will have to go with a different style.

Oh, our little poem booklets are supposed to be here today. I'm nervous, how they look is on me! Makes me hope they look great. It was a blast putting it together!

Have an awesome day y'all. Love you
  • Marilynsretired

eg98j213j9vt.jpg

• Restfinder
    Hope you are feeling alright, Bren. How is that foot doing. How are you doing, Marilyn. Have the kidneys stopped deteriorating?

We are going to have a dinner on Sunday after our worship service. I am going to make the turkey and also a pumpkin casserole. I'll follow a similar recipe to the last one, but add the spices to this one. They didn't call for any last time and it was kind of boring.

Well, I need to get my dishes done. My dishwasher started leaking a little bit of water and right now it is sitting full, so I am trying to keep up with what is clean on my own! LOL! Can't do a lot at a time because of my back, but I will get what I can that is necessary!

Love y'all.

fg2wosdjctox.jpg
  • Marilynsretired

wlyjjf5ijhs6.jpg

• bren5535
    We got our "Artic Blast" in the middle of Texas and I'd be happy with just the ONE. Some places saw light snow...we had 11 with a feel of -7. I was glad I had cancelled the appointment. I would have been miserable out there. Miserable being a relative term compared to those in deep, deep winter storms. My heart and prayers go out to them.

I take Vitamin D, get little dairy, don't take anything to help. My last scan was good, but that was several years back and things do change.

Thanks for asking, my friend! My foot is much better so it was a short term run and I am so thankful! I haven't even checked mail since Saturday, so will slink out there tomorrow to see if I have anything. I remember how much stock Mom put in the mail runs and she would be so disappointed to find an empty box. Me..."well it's about time for some bills to come in....better check twice this week." I haven't even fed my cats in a couple of days. Tomorrow....I will do both.

Your poem books! Did you get them and aren't they awesome? They will bring joy to the congregation....as well as the lovely meal you all share on Sunday.
    I will enjoy my Christmas Eve gift that Laura brings me...pizza and treats. She's been a treasure and a blessing to me.

Oh I hear you! On the dishes and the back pain in doing them! Mine is screaming quicker it seems and I don't get 7 full minutes for a task....but if I plug away, multiple times at 5 minutes....I can still finish a couple of things.
    I'm collecting some simple, easy recipes to use to expand my meal plan a bit. I'd be happy with hot wings and fries, burgers and rings or hot pockets but they aren't beneficial in the long run. Today I had a Healthy Choice broccoli/chicken alfredo (no noodles...that was new) and dinner was 2 gold taters, can of peas (all carby) w/Alfredo sauce, since I opened mine to add to the frozen meal that it was missing in! It can't be "Alfredo" without some sauce and they totally missed the mark on that package!

Have a wonderful, blessed Christmas weekend...I'll do the same at my spot here...Love y'all! Oh...tomorrow is our Barbi's Birthday....

e8dbenfxl6kd.jpg
  • Restfinder
    You are so right about Barbi's B-day. I totally forgot! Ugh! I'll send her an e-card! We've talked on the phone a couple of times this year. She is enjoying her new life in TN with her new/old husband - heehee! They seem quite happy. So glad your foot is doing so much better. I've been praying for you since I saw those temps you are experiencing! Marilyn, how are things in your northern neck of the woods? Are you experiencing these artic temps or is that "normal" for y'all? You continue in my prayers as well.

Wade got our gas fireplace hooked up - lots of warmth - yippee! I don't think we will get as cold as y'all, but it will be much colder than we are used to.

The booklet is so good - phew! The grandchildren will each get a copy and then the moms and dads, and singles in the Church. They are planning on sending it to other family members as well. Wade and I have our copy too! Yeah! I'm so glad they were happy with it. Pastor David is wanting to do booklets of his studies from the blogs as well. I have already started pulling those out (by topic) from the blogs so when he is ready I will be ready and it won't take long. That is something I'm excited about as well. The link I gave you the other day will take you to all of these too - all the poems and stories are in the blogs
    Here is where to find the Christmas Story: 12/20/11 A CHRISTMAS STORY BY DLG. On the right-hand side, you will see the blogs by their year - go to the bottom of the list and pick 2011. When you are there (they begin at the end of December) you can either scroll down to the story or you can go to the search box just above Pastor David's picture, on the right, and type in the title. The poem is right after the story: 12/20/11 IT WAS NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS. Both are really good and are kind of long or I would put them on here.

Y'all have a blessed day, love you.

• Marilynsretired
    We are under an extreme weather cold artic -and it is not nice. We have lost cold water in our kitchen though we get hot weather in all other taps including cold in all others Had a shower this morning - only to discover that the water would not drain - so hubby had to bail out some of the water and am now praying that things will thaw some so the rest of the water can drain.

They are telling us that by Monday it should warm up considerably but will have to wait and see - am praying that it does as lots of homes are now without power and they are saying to stay off the roads unless it is an emergency. All of this is the big reason I am not found of this time of year

John 3:1-5
    Now there was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews. This man came to Jesus by night and said to him, 'Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher come from God, for no one can do these signs that you do unless God is with him.' Jesus answered him, 'Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God. Nicodemus said to him, 'How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?' Jesus answered, 'Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.

• bren5535
    Oh Marilyn! I hope your situation is resolved very soon. I hate plumbing issues. I'm having one right now. My bathroom was flooded again when I got up from my nap...I had to toddle to the office to get the emergency number....maintenance is here with the shop vac...Mary came in and the laundry room is flooded as well...and....a whole row of apartments where I first lived. The plumber can't come until Tuesday so I am very glad I have my bedside commode in the closet...and my shower pad things so I will be OK...glad I don't have to be anywhere during all this.

That's awesome, Kim! I know those will be treasured. Thank you for prayers. God heard them and brought me comfort. I am so thankful they don't act up as often or as bad as they once did! Whew!

I had a pound of ground chicken and made chicken chili, sort of with it....it's not wonderful at all but is edible. Oh well...I've cooked worse things!
  • Marilynsretired

scqrscf46h3t.jpg

• bren5535
    Plumbing issue will carry over until Tuesday. The plumbers can't get thru the frozen sections of pipe...still flooded and water will be off for 2 days at least. I have 2 gallons on my Monday pick up order and was able to refill the gallon jug I had and my coffee pot before the flow stopped just now. I am not alone as the whole section to the left of me is affected as well and I'm sure some of those folks have kids. I'm not desperate enough to go to a Motel.....like I did in a summer issue that lasted 4 days with no AC and it was 88 in here at 4 AM. SO....it could always be worse...
  • Marilynsretired

q529dnfc1q2s.jpg

• bren5535
    I just noticed this yesterday on my bag of liners/pads. LOL Supper? I know they are done up in China but apparently even I didn't proofread.

ukyo03vhxx2h.jpg
  • Marilynsretired

v9f84v1ope8x.jpg

• Restfinder
    Wow, I can't believe that I missed so much - where have I been???

So glad that despite very difficult situations y'all are doing alright. We have had the cold, but haven't lost power or water - God is good. The gas fireplace has been soooo nice, but it sure burns a lot of gas! We will only use it when it is really cold in the AM or if the temps drop low again. We should be in the 50's today! Woohoo! And it isn't supposed to get any colder over the next several days. Because of the cold, we didn't have our Christmas get-together, but will do that this weekend, combining Christmas and New Year's!

Please pray for a little girl in our church. I can't say more, but she and her family could use your prayers. Thank you, my friends.

Oh, Marily, thank you for the passage from Jn. 3. Jn. 3:3 was the first verse I ever memorized. A lady in our neighborhood did a VBS-type thing at her house for the neighborhood kids. My family were Lutherans and Mom wasn't happy to find out that I was going to these meetings at a non-Lutheran home, she made me stop - how sad. I was hearing truths that I had never heard before. But praise the Lord we had a youth pastor who believed that you had to be saved to go to heaven and shared that with us. The pastor wasn't happy at all, and tried to argue us out of believing it (your baptism is sufficient was the Lutheran belief). I can remember sharing the gift on the table example with him, but he just wouldn't see that you had to pick up the gift to make it yours, you had to accept it: he said that if it was given to you it was yours whether you accepted it or not. Crazy. Lots of preachers are preaching similar things today, unfortunately, they are saying that you are saved whether you want to be or not; or you are damned whether you want to be or not - God decides and you have no choice. Sooo not what God says!

I hope that y'all find easier days ahead. Love you.

• Marilynsretired

6crajpfberdt.jpg

• bren5535
    Good morning ladies.
    I was ready to call out the hunters, Kim. I waited a bit, thinking it would be busy at your place....and see your dinner and gathering is set set for this weekend.

We are still not out of the woods plumbing wise but I am so thankful I at least, have access to the bathroom again... got a shower in and can flush...tho I still have some leakage due to slow draining. Not horrid, and they have towels down in there. I think my bath mats may be in Tuscola by now with the strong winds of Wednesday. Our maintenance guy had put them back out to dry and unless someone took them in...they are gone. I do have another set....but am waiting to put them down until it's dry for awhile in there.

Other than the back pain, I feel better today and will get my house in order. I've been down for about 4 days. I'll play with my budget, update some charts and do some chores up in here.
    I need to plan an outing for my oil change and inspection next week. I'd like to do it on a sunny day with about 75 expected...tomorrow....looks like a 73 day....Sunday 77....Saturday the 7th...looks like full sun and 69. I'll check to see if Firestone is open tomorrow, with it being NYE. It's a real struggle to get out and go places! So glad I don't have to very often!

e6ss6t9eivb8.jpg