Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Yes! Varda, Jantastic is making me "just get it done" too. I think that is a very good thing for me. I do, however, hear Tim's coaches' comment about "junk runs" in my head...but I do them anyway as insurance. Isn't funny the things that stick in your head?
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    all right back in the loop again..sorry for absence but between basketball and indoor soccer, I barely have time to eat and sleep.

gorgeous day today..66 degrees and starting my first day of speed work...30 minutes..3.2 miles..5 minutes warm up, 4 intervals of 3 minutes at 7:30 and 2 minutes of 10:30, then a 5 minute cool down ...harder than i thought it would be, but doable

Go get it, Joe!!!! :-)

Tim, you and your wife win cutest running couple. Love the pic! :-)
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    Just got home from the Atlanta Hot Chocolate 15K. Big event and tons of people. The 5K waves were huge! We had a goal of running for fun at 9:30 pace but ended up at 8:56 pace. A little fast but we felt good.

Splits
    1.00 9:46
    1.00 9:25
    1.00 8:50
    1.00 8:51
    1.00 8:49
    1.00 9:12 (stopped for chocolate)
    1.00 8:59
    1.00 8:34
    1.00 8:23
    0.38 7:42
    WoW! Awesome!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Yes! Varda, Jantastic is making me "just get it done" too. I think that is a very good thing for me. I do, however, hear Tim's coaches' comment about "junk runs" in my head...but I do them anyway as insurance. Isn't funny the things that stick in your head?

I don't believe in junk DNA or junk runs.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    This is us before the race. I definitely overdressed. Two layers of long-sleeve shirts under that jacket (one was a thick Adidas Climawarm top), my CW-X tights under Adidas pants, plus the gloves and beanie over my hat. After 3 miles I had shed the jacket, gloves, and beanie. But I was glad I had them after the race. Once I stopped I got cold again.

12156914165_58e81e45c2.jpg

I saw the run on Facebook and was a little envious. :)
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    Totally sucky treadmill run tonight. It's just so much harder than running on the road or track. I think a huge part of it is how I hold myself. I think when I'm running on road or track I lean forward more and my body uses gravity to help propel me forward. It takes a lot less effort. On the treadmill the bar in front interferes with my arms' natural swing and causes me to lean back and run more upright hurting my forward motion. I don't think I stride in the same way either. I'm not sure how to fix this. I'm afraid if I back up away from the bar, I'll be in danger of slipping off the back.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    No running for me lately, but I did put in 60 miles on the bicycle over the weekend!
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options

5 brutal miles this morning. Every single step hurt - like doing the hardest first mile 5 times. It was warmer than it has been on my runs lately but it was snowing pretty hard & I failed to factor in how much colder that would make it feel so I wasn't dressed correctly (should have had another pair of tights on & something with a hood). At the turn-around I had 1.5 miles where the snow was blowing directly into my face, coating me with ice crystals. I can't say that was pleasant. When I turned back onto my road for the final mile the wind was at my side & they had just plowed that stretch so it was easier to run on.

The final quarter mile I told myself when I'm in a race and I'm tired or sore I should look back at this run as an example of "well you got through that....so you can do anything."

Laura, reading this really inspired me. I didn't run at the weekend because the weather was awful, but after reading your post I decided I was going to run today no matter the weather! Unfortunately my resolution isn't as strong as yours, lol, a quick walk round the block with my dog was enough for me! I stayed inside and did Insanity instead.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Totally sucky treadmill run tonight. It's just so much harder than running on the road or track. I think a huge part of it is how I hold myself. I think when I'm running on road or track I lean forward more and my body uses gravity to help propel me forward. It takes a lot less effort. On the treadmill the bar in front interferes with my arms' natural swing and causes me to lean back and run more upright hurting my forward motion. I don't think I stride in the same way either. I'm not sure how to fix this. I'm afraid if I back up away from the bar, I'll be in danger of slipping off the back.

Me too. I can't hold my arms at the right angle, I feel like I'm in a straight jacket, and I'm doing something that gives me shin splints. However, it's almost February and you all are helping me through this!!! We will overcome!
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    We'll no running per we but went to a cadence run clinic so about 3 minutes of treadmill and 5 minutes outside - that was enough for me for now. Guess I'm giving it 2 more days to heal, my lungs feel a bit aggravated that I dared make hem do exercise! ;( but at least it was something!!!! Yay!!!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Wardrobe update: I wore one of my tech running shirts to work today. No more "I wish I could."
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Madmiss- cadence workshops are IMPORTANT

Laura - I've found that you can wear ANYTHING under a suit jacket. The more inappropriate it is, the cooler it looks. I really need that Oiselle shirt.

My training plan called for a whole 15 minutes at a 4.0 pace. I watched the MLP episode where the pegasi ponies create a whirlwind to get water to Cloudsdale. I warmed up for 5 minutes and then ran for 16 but then Fluttershy added her mite to the whirlwind and I had to keep running in support. It was all very exciting. So I went another 3 minutes. and then walked and stretched. Woo Hoo.

My next race is a 5k trail-ish race at Stone Mountain park on February 8th. I've got a babysitter lined up and everything.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    My training plan called for a whole 15 minutes at a 4.0 pace. I watched the MLP episode where the pegasi ponies create a whirlwind to get water to Cloudsdale. I warmed up for 5 minutes and then ran for 16 but then Fluttershy added her mite to the whirlwind and I had to keep running in support. It was all very exciting. So I went another 3 minutes. and then walked and stretched. Woo Hoo.

Great job, although I have no idea what most of that meant.
    My next race is a 5k trail-ish race at Stone Mountain park on February 8th. I've got a babysitter lined up and everything.

Good luck on the race!
  • romyhorse
    Options
    Finally got a run in today! It was cold and wet, I have a head cold and my legs felt like lead but I did it!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Laura - I've found that you can wear ANYTHING under a suit jacket. The more inappropriate it is, the cooler it looks. I really need that Oiselle shirt.

That would be cool - especially with bright colors/patterns. I'm less impressive. I've paired it with an UnderArmor hoodie, jeans, and currently I have slippers on.
  • romyhorse
    Options

That would be cool - especially with bright colors/patterns. I'm less impressive. I've paired it with an UnderArmor hoodie, jeans, and currently I have slippers on.

You are allowed to wear that to work?? So jealous, I have to dress smart even though I am never seen by any of our customers. We aren't even allowed a Dress Down Friday :sad:
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I'm glad today is a rest day, but it might be kind of fun to go run in the snow. It's coming down hard right now.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I'm on W9D2 of the 10K trainer. The workouts are nearly twice as long as the C25K ones, but I'm enjoying them.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options

You are allowed to wear that to work?? So jealous, I have to dress smart even though I am never seen by any of our customers. We aren't even allowed a Dress Down Friday :sad:

The dress code in my office is "you must be dressed." I worked in law offices for 24 years where it was skirts/dresses & pantyhose every day. I'm coming up on 2 years at this job and every morning when I pull on my jeans I still appreciate the fact that I can do it. Periodically we have a planned pajama day (and yes people wear pajamas).

Happy you were able to get out for a run today!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    I'm glad today is a rest day, but it might be kind of fun to go run in the snow. It's coming down hard right now.

How cold is it? Al Roker was saying this morning Atlanta was expecting a -17 wind chill.