Exercise and Weight Loss Challenges

Options

Replies

• grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are the best source of potassium, but I don't worry about it unless I start to retain water and have to take diuretics.

If you have potassium as a tracked nutrient on MFP for 1200 calories, they get the goal at 3500 mg. I think eating too much sugar is much more important to track and keep low than potassium. Next time you have blood work, have your potassium levels checks. Low potassium has some very specific symptoms, too.

You can also have high potassium which isn't good either. Usually caused by something else because your kidneys if operating properly should get rid of excess.

My theory is to try to get a balanced diet and you should be fine.
  • gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys! Thanks for your support! If I don't get enough potassium I get leg cramps. I eat a banana a day (just found out that's on the "avoid" list for A blood types) but also love sweet potatoes which are a positive for me. My understanding is that all the water we drink washes out the potassium. Charlie, love your dancer and good for you getting all the exercise! Mary & Marney, your weigh in is not too bad post Thanksgiving. Do you realize that we only have 8 weeks left of our challenge. The time has gone so fast. Already thinking about my goal(s) between Jan 1, 2015 and Easter. Hope to be at my goal weight by then and getting maintenance to work for me. You may have noticed that setting short term, mid term, and long term goals get me going. Have to keep on looking down the road. ALMOST tried on jeans today but instead bought a pair of shoes. :)
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I do eat sweet potatoes and I am eating lots of fruits and veggies. Just trying to keep it balanced with low sodium and high potassium. I think the dietitian that I asked was not correct. There is no way that people can eat 4700 mg a day of potassium on a 1200 calorie diet. The MFP target of 3500 is hard enough but possible. Not going to fuss about it.

Gayle, you are star and keep me going with your constant small drops adding up to large weight loss overall. Keep it up! Blue jeans here you come!
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    Thanks Marney! As I was falling asleep last night I thought: "Did I say 8weeks"? Must think I'm still in November. We have about 4 weeks, 24 days, if I counted right, until January 1, 2015. Wow! OK, well hope to be looking over the fence at the 170's by then. Keep on the path all! Don't stop!!
  • merrygrannie
    merrygrannie Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Gayle you are doing fantastic.I do believe you are going to get down to the 170's real soon.I came home tonight and made myself exercise.That's right,MADE myself.lol.I'm going to have to get in the habit of doing that first thing when I get up.Get it out of the way.I'm alright once I get going,it's just getting going.
    4 weeks,that's all.It will be here sooner than I thought.My short term goal is to not have anymore gains these 4 weeks.
    Hope everyone is doing well.
    Mary
  • dasher602014
    Options
    I am with Mary on the lack of gain but I am still aiming for as close to 15 as I can. I don't have too many parties and things. Christmas of course but it will be small, and I have a new year's party. I don't find it too hard because with no cheese/milk and no gluten, party food is off limits anyway.

I just lost my way for this past week and put on what I lost on holidays but I am back on track again and I am looking forward to going down, down, down.

It is the exercise that I just cannot get on to now that I am home in the cold. Working on a fix for that.

Have a good day tomorrow.

M
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    Hello All! I have to brag: 187.9 today. Not sure I'll be there on Friday because of the bumps that are common but it's the right direction for sure. Charlie, agreed that eating a balanced diet, unless you have an identified deficit, is all you need to do. Eating all the colors (I like orange, brown and blue best). Squash and pumpkin, rice and chocolate, plus blueberries. Mary and Marney it is tough, for me, to get the exercise in but have decided that I must buy a treadmill for myself for Christmas. I know I will use it if I have it and my son might too. Start thinking about your January resolutions and goals.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Bragging perfectly acceptable!!!!! A new decade crossed should always be celebrated. It might bounce up a little but you have the magic. Enjoy the feeling.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I agree with Marney, bragging is acceptable. My favorite foods tend to be brown for beef and pork or green. I love salads, spinach, brussel sprouts, every green vegetable. I love citrus, but try to not eat too much fruit. Then I like orange, for squash and sweet potato, but not carrots as much.

Got together with friends two nights in a row. Monday was great. Last night, I just ate. We ordered appetizers and grazed. Oh well, first appetizer meal I have had in 11 months since starting MFP. It won't kill me. I figured HIGH on my diary though just so I have to look at the number in RED!

It is funny because everything you read always suggests that people should order appetizers rather than a meal when dining out. I can eat a steak, salad, dressing, wine and even a potato usually for the less than any of the appetizers would be. Appetizers are usually full of carbs, cheese, and deep fried. Same with dinner salads. Between the fruit, nuts, cheese, dressing and croutons, a full meal is lower calories and better balanced.

New FDA rules will require restaurants to post calories on their menus. I have been surprised that Waffle House was one of the first to do so without being required. Some restaurants think that people won't go to their restaurants if they do. I disagree. People who care will just choose what they order more carefully. I always look up the calories before I order or even go to a restaurant. I can always find something to eat. Sure would be easier if it were on the menu, though.

Hope you all have a great day!

• gaylebodine
    Options
    Oh that is so great about new FDA rules. I've noticed that some restaurants are starting to do it and I agree--I am MORE likely to eat there since I feel I have more choice and can choose intelligently. Man, just had a bowl of squash soup at Atlanta and didn't expect it to be over 400 calories. Healthy Choice soup for dinner tonight.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Hi all

I have been in the city and enjoyed lunch and dinner out. An appetizer dinner but it was lentil soup, a beet and goat cheese salad followed by two large scallops. It was the flourless chocolate cake that did me in! I never get dessert. When you rule out dairy and flour, desserts are normally off limits. I did enjoy though. And I walked and shopped for over 7 hours through a snow storm so I figure I worked some of it off.

I will have to weigh in on Saturday since I am not home until then.

Have a good day tomorrow!

Marney

PS We don't yet have laws about calories counts etc here but they are working on it. I had to guess today. But I know the salt was very high.
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    Hi Guys
    Start--207
    Sept. 5--205.6
    Sept 12--203
    Sept 19--202.8
    Sept 26--200.9
    Oct. 3rd--199.2
    Oct. 10th-198
    Oct. 17th-198.3
    Oct. 24th-198
    Oct. 31st--194.6
    Nov. 6th -192.6
    Nov. 14th-191.9
    Nov. 21st-191.1
    Nov. 28th-192.5 (up 1.4)
    Dec. 5th - 190.3
    Dec. 12th-188.7 (1.6 down)
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    Marney your meal sounds fantastic! I am trying to watch my dairy and wheat intake so you look like a saint to me!
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    I just realized that I have 1.7 pounds to go to make my 20 and have 19 days left. Yeah! I'm going to make it. :D
  • merrygrannie
    Options

Sept 5th-168. 3.5lb loss
    Sept 12th-167. 1 lb loss
    Sept 18-166. 1 lb loss
    Sept 27-166 0lbs lost
    Oct 3-165 1 lb loss
    Oct 10-164 1lb loss
    Oct 17-165 1lb gain
    Oct 24-166 1 lb gain
    Oct 31-162 4 lb loss
    Nov 7th-162.5 .5 gain
    Nov 14th-167.5 5lb gain
    Nov 21st-163.4lb loss
    Started out171.5-8 lb loss on challenge.
    Dec 5th-163.5
    Dec.12-166.5
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    Hey Mary, let's post it like this:

Started out 171.5
    Sept 5th-168. 3.5lb loss
    Sept 12th-167. 1 lb loss
    Sept 18-166. 1 lb loss
    Sept 27-166 0lbs lost
    Oct 3-165 1 lb loss
    Oct 10-164 1lb loss
    Oct 17-165 1lb gain
    Oct 24-166 1 lb gain
    Oct 31-162 4 lb loss
    Nov 7th-162.5 .5 gain
    Nov 14th-167.5 5lb gain
    Nov 21st-163.5 4lb loss
    Dec 5th-163.5
    Dec.12-166.5
    5 lb loss on challenge so far!

You are going the right direction in a tough month!
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Started this challenge at 172
    Sept 5th 171 - 1 lb lost
    Sept 12th 169.5 - 1½ lb lost
    Sept 19th 168.5 - 1 lb lost
    Sept 28th 168.5
    Oct. 4th 167.5 - 1 lb lost
    Oct. 10th 167 - .5 lost
    Oct. 17th 167
    Oct. 24th 166 - 1 lb lost
    Oct. 31st 164.5 - 1.5 lb lost
    Nov 7th 166 - 1.5 gain
    Nov 14th 165 - 1 lb lost
    Nov 21st 162 - 3 lbs lost
    Nov 28th 162.5 - .5 lb gain
    Dec 5th 164 - 1.5 lb gain
    Dec 13th 163.5 .5 loss

8.5 loss so far

Again, the right direction!
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Gayle, you are a champion! I am so pleased for you. Charlie, logging an entire year coming up. You should get a prize for that alone, much less your inspiring exercise and weight loss.

Mary, it is a tough time of year but you are really inspiring with your commitment to exercise and your 'stick to-itness'. Gayle is right. We are both heading in the right direction over all, just with some bumps in the road.

Let's keep going this week.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Gayle,

I have been lactose intolerant since my early 30's. But the family has a wheat intolerance, my nephew and my brother (and others who don't want to 'deal' with it). Me too now and I wonder whether that was always the problem. I know that Gluten free is the current 'thing' but don't restrict if you don't have too. It isn't necessary unless you have an intolerance. And if you restrict dairy, it is hard to meet your calcium requirements, at least easily, and, as older women, it can become a concern.

I am hoping that if I go GF, the lactose problem might become less. That happened for my nephew. But not being able to eat cow's milk or wheat really restricts choices, and makes being a guest, really awkward. So, don't go there unless you have to and if you think you have a problem, your Dr. now can test.

Believe me, I don't feel like a saint! I just know that most desserts etc. are truly poison to my system and the punishment is more than the crime. It becomes easy when there is an immediate and ongoing severe punishment. Much, much harder for my diabetic husband when there is no immediate payment for stepping out of line but severe long term consequences. To stay in control, they have to be saints. As my up and down weight loss shows, I am no saint!

Cheers

Marney
  • merrygrannie
    Options
    Congratulations on the weight loss this week .I'm proud of you ladies!
    You're right,I'm going in the right direction but making some bad detours.After losing 70 lbs I'm on that plateau and trying to start climbing down.You ladies are such a inspiration.Thanks!!!!
    Marney-I'm looking forward to us posting a loss this week.
    Gayle-I'm excited you're going to make your goal and we get to see it.Awesome!!!
    Checking in later to see how everyone is doing.Have a great day.
    Mary