Exercise and Weight Loss Challenges

Replies

• gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,689 Member
    Wow Marney, remind me about where you live. Winter is like that in some of our mountain towns but I'm spoiled in Denver where the snow and ice seldom stays around for more than a day or two and one can get away with a sweatshirt many days during the winter.
  • merrygrannie
    merrygrannie Posts: 220 Member
    Mary, do you use the weighted balls for the workouts? Where did you buy yours?
    I don't use weighted balls.I do use a stretch band.

• dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    hi gayle,

the highways are bare roads, snow at the sides, it is just the side roads that stay icy and our mile long private road into our area of the lake is our community's to maintain. if you look for Toronto on your map and move east t o Peterborough, I am north of there a little. hey, known as the banana belt of Canada. Many areas, unless you have a block heater in your engine, your car will freeze and not start! In Winnipeg, they have plug stations at every parking place in malls. Otherwise, you have to leave your car running while you shop! No thank you.

I found a Leslie Sampson video on youtube! Walmart and other stores of that size, 45 minutes by car but I can dance!
  • gaylebodine
    Before I moved to Colorado, in the mid to late 70's, I lived in Minnesota and everyone plugged in their cars at night there and left their cars running at 7-11. I am so spoiled now. OK, now I understand why you have to pay to get your roads de-iced.

We will see how my knees do with marching in place. I watched the one mile DVD but haven't given it a go yet.
  • dasher602014
    I am going to have a go at the one mile one. with knee problems, make sure you have good arch support in shoes, but you know that!
  • gaylebodine
    Marney, I do need better shoes or at least a better cushion in them.
  • dasher602014
    Hi Ladies,

I just watch a BBC 3 episode program called " Which diet is right for you?" Really interesting study of 75 people over 12 weeks and 3 different diets. If you can find it in your area, good watching.
  • gaylebodine
    Interesting, I will look for it. I found out about the 5/2 diet on BBC.
  • dasher602014
    the website for the show is:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02ddt9w

but I don't know if you can view online in the states.

and there is a test to see which category you fit in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/z2csfg8

categories are: Feasters, Constant Cravers and Emotional Eaters

They go into the metabolic differences and why there suggested diets work for each group.

I re-learned that larger people have a fast metabolism than smaller people which is one of the reasons we plateau. Our metabolism slows down as we gets smaller since less energy is needed to sustain the size. Therefore the same routine does not work the same way.

It got me thinking. And I think I will make a few changes to my eating since I have been stuck for some time over the same 5 lbs. There is also a discussion about where exercise fits in. Too lose weight, what goes in your mouth is the most important thing but when you get smaller and when you want to maintain, you really cannot do it without exercise. BUT, they had some really rather radical (at least to me) discussions about exercise.

I hope you can watch. It was good. Maybe on youtube?
  • dasher602014
    I am doing the Leslie Sansone 3 mile walk. I am counting it at 300 calories and I am using the band. Is this about right?
  • gaylebodine
    Hi Marney, that was useful! I do not have the "interactive book" available to me because I am not in the UK but was able to take the test and I'm a "constant craver". The diet suggested is the intermittent fast which is something I am already familiar with have used with success. Since I am already on a calorie restricted diet I do not do the two fast days a week but only do a fast day when I'm feeling stuck on the scale. I'm due one. I have changed them for myself to something called a "half the calorie" day. I think this is going to be especially helpful for me during maintenance. I was able to download a blueberry muffin recipe that looks promising.
  • dasher602014
    I am a feaster. Once started, cannot stop so there is no 'just a taste' for me. So, the low GI diet for me. I am almost there but have been enjoying rice cakes a little too often. Once they are gone, I am not going to buy anymore.

The 800 calorie day, or worse 600 calorie day, I just could not do. Constant craver is my second category but not by a close margin. The one you are on seems to work well for you!
  • gaylebodine
    Yes, I feels pretty good. Do have my days where I just impulsively eat the item that is the lesser evil of my choices but should have chosen nothing. Yesterday it was organic dark chocolate peanut butter cups. Was able to justify, in the moment, because of the words "organic" and "dark" chocolate. Healthy, right? Don't you just love the way we all rationalize these things!
  • dasher602014
    Yeah, great rationalizations from me! I always seem to eat back my exercise calories. But pot pies were an easy dinner, just not the best diet food.

However, I did about 45 minutes of snow shovelling today and did not count it. We were really moving building blocks of ice. We have bought a new-to-us car which is coming tomorrow. We were only offered 200 for our current car and so it seems more sensible to keep it for a few months. But it needs a home away from the snow plow so we were digging out a spot for it to stay.

Organic, dark chocolate peanut butter cups? Sounds like diet food to me!!! Well.... we are very different. No sweet tooth here. Carbs, carbs, carbs, yummy!

I am spending time investigating low GI foods. I know most of the rules but there are surprises. Then I will be moving even more in that direction.

And I do enjoy the walking with Leslie, it is more fun that the bicycle. Sorry, Charlie!
  • gaylebodine
    I should be better with my high GI foods than I am. At least I am pretty good at limiting my refined sugar and flour foods.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,356 Member
    Marney: How long does the 3 mile workout last? If it is about 45 minutes which I think it is, then put the workout in MFP as 4 miles per hour. If it is about a one hour workout, then put it in as 3 miles per hour. Can't just say 300 calories as calories burned depends on speed, length of time, and our weight/age. Those things can be figured by MFP.

If you look carefully, I think you will find all of Leslie's workouts on youtube. But, I think the 3 mile is a great one, however, she has several 3-mile walks. I think they are all about 45 minutes though.

As for the quiz, I was exactly the same for constant craver and feaster. I have always preferred a high protein diet (just that day on Saturday and Sunday with the flu and I ate crackers, tea, ginger ale, and toast, I got such a migraine-type headache. That is because I had no protein.) The next day I made eggs for breakfast and had protein again and it made me feel better overall. Too many carbs will make me feel hungover. I'm not so sure about the intermittent fasting, but I do tend to reset myself occasionally by doing a day with protein and vitamin shakes and salad. Although, never only 600-800 calories. And I don't want to stop counting calories as that would be a disaster for me. No way I will do that. I would then be on a slippery slope. I need to see it to know I'm eating sensibly or else my senses aren't that honest! :\

If I can't get that show, which it looks like I can't as it isn't on Hulu, I can sneak into BBC the back way with my VPN.

However, did you look at some of the recipes on the site? Whether you follow any of their ideas or not, there were some great looking recipes! Lots of fritatas. I do omlettes so often, but never think to make frittatas. Although they are so good and great cold, too.

I got the flu on Saturday according to the flu test, but I'm feeling really good today and came in to work. Not 100%, but not what I would call sick. Although the flu shot was not effective against the flu, it must have made it shorter. I also have a super immune system. That is why I am prone to autoimmune diseases.

• gaylebodine
    A lot of the BBC documentaries show up on youtube as well.
  • dasher602014
    Thanks for the info on the walking, Charlie. Yes, about 45 minutes. I did not look at the clock the first time so I was guessing and from her site, she said about 100 calories for the 15 minutes one. I will use the 4 mph and use MFP from now on.

The recipes are great aren't they? And yes, if I let go of calorie count I am lost. But I do think since I am a strong feaster, a low GI diet (while watching the calories!) might get me off this plateau. I have been here forever! And I know that if I watch really carefully and exercise alot, I lose but if I let go even by 200 for only one day a week (or so it seems), no loss that week. So I am looking to shake it up a little.

The show was great too. A lot of good info about exercise. I am getting out my pedometer again since apparently, we naturally give ourselves a pass on the next day after exercising and move less than we do on regular days! I, too, used my VPN to get to the show. It is the only way I can get US shows too even if they are part of our TV package, they are blocked on our internet.

I am glad you are feeling better. I always get the flu shot and even if they say it is a bad match year, I do find it helps.

I tried a lentil soup as a starter tonight. It was really good and it was very filling.
  • merrygrannie
    merrygrannie Posts: 220 Member
    Marney,the Walk at Home I do takes 60 mins.15 mins=1 mile.Each mile=100 calories unless it has boosted walking ,then it's 125 to 150 calories per mile.The 4 mile DVD I use has boosted walking whic has spurts of jogging in it.You can go to her site and it has a question and answer page on it.
    Gayle i'm glad you're feeling better.We've been lucky not getting the flu so far.I had the flu shot,my husband didn't.I fixed some dark chocolate brownies using olive oil
    thinking they would be healthier but not as healthy as I thought.I guess my husband gets the rest of them.
    I tried to take the test but it stopped on question 9 and wouldn't go any further.I just know I like food and I have to constantly be on guard.Sweets and carbs are both weekness's of mine.i just need to keep tracking everything because it would be so easy to backslide.
    Keep on keeping on ladies.
    Mary
  • gaylebodine
    Glad you guys are here! I feeling really munchie today, could easily go back down stairs and find something to munch but won't cause your are "watching". Think I will do a half the calorie day on Thursday, need to get myself jump started. Feel like I've been kind of stuck.