Exercise and Weight Loss Challenges

Replies

• grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,356 Member
    animated-mothers-day-image-0052.gif

Both of you have a Happy Mother's Day! I love going out for lunch/brunch! Seems more decandent than dinner for some reason. More special!

Would be nice if Marney and Nancy popped in to wish them a HMD, too. It has been over a month since we heard from Marney and 20 days now for Nancy. :(

Gayle, your loss was great and I agree with you, Mary, that at least we didn't gain. I'm with you on a one pound loss for next week! We can do this!
  • maryschwartzroby
    maryschwartzroby Posts: 161 Member
    Happy Mother's Day tomorrow! I hope you ladies have a great day.Just remember we have to get back on here and make ourselves accountable so lets behave ourselves.It's all about spending our time with our loved ones and not about the food.
  • gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,689 Member
    Mary, well said! I did splurge though--and had a fancy (egg white) omelette plus a belgium waffle (with sugar free syrup). Will have to eat a very small dinner, and actually I like spaghetti squash so that's a win all around. Charlie, thanks for the Mother's Day wishes and Happy Mother's Day to you both too. If Marney and Nancy pop in--we miss you and have a special weekend!
  • gaylebodine
    How is everyone doing? I'm see-sawing a bit but hope for a good scale on Friday. At a workshop all weekend with catered meals. Hmmmm, going to be interesting.
  • gaylebodine
    Currently up a pound from last week's weigh in but continuing to move forward. Hope everyone is doing well!
  • grandmothercharlie
    Had a great Mother's Day and broke my plateau. Hit 146 on MD and 145.5 the next. 75 days I had tried to get back to 147 let alone below! But, as I am the Queen of Fluctuations, I was at 146.5 today!

I did a Zumba class today at lunch. Thought I would die. The instructor and most of the participants are young. Also hard to jump in when I haven't been taking it to learn the moves. But, it was fun and I will probably do it again on some days when I can't get outside at lunchtime. Almost too strenuous though. I don't like my HR to get that high. It was really pounding. Also, there is no way to shower afterward. I did at least bring a change of clothes to workout in.

Drumroll please: I did strength training this a.m., too! I bought a set of 3 lbs. dumbbells at Play It Again Sports. Saved about 50% that way. I did 11 upper body exercises. It wasn't too bad, but I don't like the ones geared to the shoulders. Probably why I have very small, sloped shoulders! Some were 2 sets of 10 reps. Some only one. I found a routine on line I used. I adjusted it some as I can't lay on my back because of positional vertigo. I don't count calorie burn with strength training as I don't do it long enough to get much of a HR increase.
  • gaylebodine
    Fantastic Charlie! Love your before and after pictures--you look like a different person! You continue to inspire!
  • grandmothercharlie
    Have been going through the dreaded "letting your bangs grow out" phase. Not so bad now as they have gotten longer.
  • gaylebodine
    I think your current hairstyle is just perfect for you! I am due a cut.

Have to admit I'm struggling, but know it is just a tough week and will just keep on moving forward. Scale up today and way over with my calories today. So tired and just feel like comforting myself. Two hurdles will be over tomorrow--my son graduating from high school and completing my final grading for my Redstone term. In a workshop Friday/Saturday/Sunday and bringing my lunch but know I will have less control of what I eat and when. Back on the straight and narrow next Monday and hope I can still feel good about this challenge when all is said and done. Keep me in your thoughts.
  • grandmothercharlie
    Challenge Goal: 140
    4/3/15: 152
    4/10/15: 151
    4/17/15 150
    4/24/15: 149
    5/1/15: 150
    5/8/15: 150
    5/15/15: 145.5

So, my new low is 145.5! Wonder how long it will be before I lose again. Maybe 140 by Independence Day is still doable.

Need to do those weights today! No matter what. I will do them twice a week. I will...Really! I definitely need to get in some lunchtime cardio, too. Dinner out with a friend tonight. Dinner and theater after work tomorrow. So, no working out in the evening!

I need to start thinking about a vacation in a cabin for a week menu, too. Did okay last year, so it can be done. I'll have to go back to those diaries. See what we had. Leave three week from tomorrow!

Hope everyone else had a good week! Would be nice to hear from Marney and Nancy. It's now been 2 months since Marney even visited MFP. 26 days for Nancy.

Well, a busy day today, so gotta run!
  • gaylebodine
    Hi Guys, hate to admit that I'm up big time. Been stressing big time and it shows. In a workshop all weekend so staying with it the best I can and looking for that new start on Monday.
    Challenge Goal: 164
    4/03/15: 177.3
    4/10/15: 174.7
    4/17/15: 173.9
    4/24/15: 174.1
    5/02/15: 174.7
    5/08/15: 172.4
    5/15/15: 175.2
  • grandmothercharlie
    Stress will do it! That's why my goal for 2015 is to reduce stress. But, you can lose that 3 pounds quickly. It isn't fat, it is probably a lot water, unless you ate over 10,000 calories excess this week and I doubt that!
  • gaylebodine
    Yes, that is one thing I know, I did not eat an excess of 10,000 calories this week, lol. Thanks for support and reassurance Charlie!
  • gaylebodine
    Stayed in calories today and back on track. Had a great (and exhausting) weekend and taking it easy today, read a novel. Hope everyone is doing well!
  • grandmothercharlie
    Yesterday I went out to dinner with a friend after a movie. Don't know what got into me, but we went to Johnny Rockets and I got a mushroom swiss burger, chili cheese fries, and a chocolate peanut butter milkshake. Met her again tonight and did much better. ;)
  • grandmothercharlie
    Has anyone tried this recipe from BettyCrocker.com? I'm not much for sweets (especially cake), but I love anything with pineapple. My favorite cake is pineapple upside-down.

I had my two and five-year old granddaughters make this today. They were able to dump the contents in the bowl since there is no measuring and mix it with a wooden spoon. They were able to spray the pan, too. I only helped them pour the batter into the pan as they scraped and put it in the oven, of course. It was DELICIOUS! Only 160 calories! This is a new family favorite!

Two-Ingredient Pineapple Angel Food Cake

10 MIN Prep Time; 2 HR 10 MIN Total Time; 12 Servings

Ingredients:
    1 box Betty Crocker™ white angel food cake mix
    1 can (20 oz) crushed pineapple in juice, undrained

Directions:
    1. Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 10-inch tube pan with cooking spray.
    2. In large bowl, mix dry angel food cake mix and crushed pineapple until combined. Pour into pan.
    3. Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until deep golden brown. Cool upside down as directed on cake mix box, about 1 hour. Turn cooled cake out onto cooling rack. Use serrated knife to cut into slices.

Nutrition Information:
    Serving Size: 1 Serving Calories160 ( Calories from Fat 0), Total Fat 0g (Saturated Fat0g, Trans Fat0g ), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 320mg, Total Carbohydrate 36g (Dietary Fiber 0g Sugars 4g), Protein 3g; % Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%; Vitamin C 4%; Calcium 6%; Iron 0%; Exchanges: 1 Starch; 0 Fruit; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat Milk; 0 Milk; 0 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 0 High-Fat Meat; 0 Fat; Carbohydrate Choices: 2 1/2
    *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

• gaylebodine
    Charlie, I'm going to make that cake this weekend! It sounds wonderful!
  • gaylebodine
    At 174.2 today, on the road to "recovery". Didn't log at all on Saturday or any of the snacks at the training on Friday, Saturday, Sunday at all. Went out to dinner with the group on Saturday night and for a late lunch on Sunday. Wow, did not realize just how much I love food from Nepal. Just haven't been feeling it in terms of my allegiance to mfp for about a week. Today feel back on track, at least 98%. Guess all I needed was a couple of days to just go free range. Finally going to the doctor on Thursday to begin to figure out why I'm so tired all the time. Hope everyone is doing well!
  • gaylebodine
    Yesterday I went out to dinner with a friend after a movie. Don't know what got into me, but we went to Johnny Rockets and I got a mushroom swiss burger, chili cheese fries, and a chocolate peanut butter milkshake. Met her again tonight and did much better. ;)

If you're going to go--go big!

Charlie, you are so good with your exercise and have had such great success--if anyone has earned a Jonny Rocket feast, you have!
  • grandmothercharlie
    @gaylebodine: What foods would I be eating if I were eating Nepali cuisine? Curries? Is it more Chinese or Indian? We probably have a nepali restaurant here (with the university, we tend to have every cuisine).

Just wanted to add on: I know a lot of people don't like to eat process foods, but I really do have to put in a plug for Lean Cuisine. The more of them I try, the better they seem to get. Takes all the concern about counting calories and portion control away and some are so delicious.

I ran to the store at lunchtime and got 3 of my favorites each for only $2.99: Spinach Artichoke Ravioli in an alfredo sauce with veggies (280 calories); Ranchero Braised Beef -- braised beef in a spicy red chile sauce served with a side of chipotle mashed sweet potatoes. This is probably my favorite! (240 calories) ; and Apple Cranberry Chicken - Grilled white meat chicken in an apple reduction with cranberries, french cut green beans & carrots and whole wheat orzo pasta (300 calories).

I tend to eat them at lunch and then pack a salad, fruit, and sandwich for dinner so I can either eat at the park and walk the nature trails or eat on the run between Tai Chi and the gym.