Exercise and Weight Loss Challenges

Replies

• gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,689 Member
    Cheryl, I did not think to be specific about not including alcohol on the "drink anything" ;) . I think I just meant diet drinks, coffee and tea. When I first started with weight watchers, many years ago, you could only count water as water. They have loosened up a lot about a lot of things. Sounds like you are limited in terms of the fiber and artificial sweeteners. Also sounds like you know your limits and are determined to succeed in this.
  • drags59
    drags59 Posts: 85 Member
    Hmmm, www.calorielab.com says you can burn 67 calories walking a dog for 15 minutes as opposed to 46 calories walking yourself for 15 minutes. Who knew? Wonder if it is the same walking 3 dogs at once, in flippers with an umbrella...
  • gaylebodine
    drags59 wrote: »
    Hmmm, www.calorielab.com says you can burn 67 calories walking a dog for 15 minutes as opposed to 46 calories walking yourself for 15 minutes. Who knew? Wonder if it is the same walking 3 dogs at once, in flippers with an umbrella...

I can picture this! Laughing burns calories too, so thanks! Today I found a lost dog (he jumped into my car when I stopped to make sure I did not run over him) who had jumped his fence when he got scared by thunder. A sweet little Chihuahua. Luckily "Snoopy" had a tag with his owner's phone number so was safely reunited later. My definition of raining cats and dogs, or at least dog(s).
  • gaylebodine
    Potluck today, my women's group, and did not do well. The scale will tell me the true story tomorrow. We decided to not do a potluck again, any time soon, because of the hassle of bringing something and the extra calories that none of us needs.
  • MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    After our Korean school end-of-year show there was a potluck dinner. I don't know how to enter it because I don't know what all I ate! But it was delicious and I wasn't stuffed feeling after eating a heaping plate. As you mentioned Gayle - tomorrow, after treading, I'll step on the scale ;)
  • gaylebodine
    I was up two pounds this morning but should be back to where I was by Monday. I am going to be sooooo good today! I'm thinking your Korean potluck wasn't as bad as apple pie and full-fat chicken salad (to mention a few things). The extra sugar is making me feel congested and headachy today. A lesson I have to learn again and again.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,356 Member
    Your potlucks sound great. I'm at the Asian festival
    Beautiful day. I did a tai chi demo with my group. Participated in a Bollywood dance demonstration. Waiting for Thai dancers to perform.

Oh, and have had kimchi, mango lasse, and samosas. Almost time to go back.

Bought a pair of harem style pants, too.
  • gaylebodine
    Wow Charlie! That all sounds so great: tai chi, Bollywood dance, mango lasse, samosas and harem pants!
  • gaylebodine
    When I said "good" I meant exotic and fun! I'm in the mood for baking today so plan to make light versions of cauliflower quiche and strawberry pie.
  • drags59
    I didn't do squat today, but then I don't do squat most days. Am looking into learning the basics of kettlebell without messing up my back anymore than it already is. Have mapped out the various dog walking routes that I normally take, so I know what the distances are, had no idea I was walking that much. Have to get my days and nights turned back around since I have to go back to work soon. @Charlie, Harem pants? I am pretty sure that we made need pictures!
  • MapDancer
    A new veggie I had yesterday was Korean sweet potatoes. They are dark red skinned and creamy white inside. After class we went to the Korean market and bought 5 that I baked in the oven tonight. Really yummy!!
  • MapDancer
    Here are my goals for the current challenge, one of which was to list them today!

1) Get to my goal of 130.0 - I really want to see that on the scale. It's not far to go, but I am slow.
    2) Not to gain while my sister and head up to Catskill, NY to help our friend empty the first floor of her house for renovations. The exercise may be offset by eating "free range". I'll take up stuff for breakfast and some lunches but dinner... Charlie sent me good advice! One thing I thought of when a work buddy took me out to Fuddruckers last week was look at the nutritional menu online BEFORE going. I thought of that afterwards and was shocked!!
    3) So I don't lose my new Korean language skills over summer I want to sit down with the Talk to Me in Korean workbook/website 3x/week
  • gaylebodine
    Pam, bet you are going to watch the Korean soaps as well! Cheryl, suggest that you acknowledge yourself and focus on what you did do (map your walking routes, determine a safe kettlebell routine) rather than criticizing yourself for what you didn't. Feeding yourself with kindness to yourself really helps on the road to health. I used to have a book called "The Only Diet There Is" (must have lent it out) which basically said that: feed yourself with love and the weight to disappear. They talk about this idea on this blog: http://www.balancedweightmanagement.com/begin_how.htm
  • drags59
    I have to admit that since joining this little nest that when I walk into the kitchen for something to eat, that I literally put stuff back after thinking about what I have already eaten. Jelly toast would have tasted a whole lot better then peanut butter toast, but then watching the dogs try to eat their peanut butter bits was so much more enjoyable too! @Gayle What I meant by not doing squat, is that I didn't go anywhere to celebrate Memorial Day, just stayed home and that is usually what I do anyway. Now granted the other things I did do are positive things and I was surprised to see that I normally walk a mile with the mutts. For once, I wasn't dogging myself...that comes later when I start making bad choices.
  • gaylebodine
    Since I'm retired, or at least semi-retired, holidays are not much different than every other day of the week. My life is structured around classes and driving my son around. Hopefully he will get his driver's license this summer and that will make my life a lot less like running a shuttle service. Not complaining, mind you, I will miss being needed so crucially. Plus driving time is good talking time (captive audience).

Cheryl, we have a rule of not "dogging" ourselves about the food "mistakes" and bad days. Round here we might feel a bit embarrassed but get right back on the wagon, so to speak.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,356 Member
    I'll take a pick of me and harem pants first time I wear them. I'm having dinner with friends tomorrow night, maybe then. I'm still trying to decide if main dark color is navy or black.

As far as being honest and not beating ourselves up, there was a good blog the other day about cheat days. Using that word, cheat, opens us up for all sorts of negative feelings. If you go over your daily limit, you choose to go over. We are free independent adults who dont need to explain outselves. We make choices but then we must live with them. Of course it goes on to talk about how they arent good to do either.

I'm having a great day. Did a little, very little, yard work really early. Then tai chi on a dock of a small lake at 7 am and a nice walk. Hit the gym and the stationary bike, stretch machine and an indoor walk. Breakfast at Tim Hortons where I am now finishing my coffee and it is only 11 a.m. Im going to go home, shower, change, grab some drinks, bag chair and spend the rest of the day reading my kindle and maybe another walk or two.

You guys have a great day!
  • drags59
    @Charlie Your plan for the day sounds heavenly! Enjoy.
  • gaylebodine
    A bit of sun today but just had another thunderstorm. Nice day visiting with friends, making art, goofing on facebook and grading. Feel strong today with my food. Still have 100 calories left and not yet sure if I will spend them. Charlie, you day does sound lovely.
  • maryschwartzroby
    maryschwartzroby Posts: 161 Member

Challenge Goal: 157.6
    April 3rd-157.5
    April 10th-164.5
    April 17th-161.5
    April 24th-166
    May 2nd-164.0
    May 8th-164.0
    May 15th-165.0
    Mat22-165.5
  • gaylebodine
    Mary, thanks for weighing in! The first thing is tell how it is, the next to set a goal (which you have), and continue to make choices that are consistent with that goal. One step at a time.