Exercise and Weight Loss Challenges

Replies

• gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,689 Member
    Cheryl and Charlie--LOL!
  • gaylebodine
    My house guest just left so no more excuses. Said I would get serious in June, and here I go. BTW, Lill, just left my house but she has joined mfp and this group! Goodbye Lill! Welcome Lill!
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,356 Member
    edited June 2015
    Welcome, Lill!

@gaylebodine: You guys stayed up late as I could see what time she joined! Were you girls giggling?

I didn't come to this group at the very beginning. Gayle invited me about 3 months after she formed it. I like the small group format and we all bring something different to the table. We aren't all serious either. We are supportive, and we don't judge. We learn a little about each other as we aren't strictly diet and exercise, either.

We are on page 29 of this thread. I would like to add two more threads. Neither will require comments, but will be for references. Since they are things we might want to refer back to occasionally, it will be easier if we keep them separate.

1. Recipes. You make a good "low calorie" recipe, add it! If you can put all the nutritional info, do that, too!
    2. Links to interesting articles, blogs, and studies. If you read something of interest regarding fitness, nutrition, getting older, weight loss or maintenance, post a link with a short description as to what or why you are posting. This will become our own library of information. The two new threads will show up on the group page.

Here goes!

Charlie
  • gaylebodine
    Charlie, are love these additional discussion threads! I am always looking for low cal "emergency meals": things that are yummy for dinner when I've already used up most of my calories. I have simple tastes. My favorite is an egg beater omelet made with 3/4 of egg beaters, pam non-stick spray, 1/8 cut of low fat mozzarella. 115 calories.
  • gaylebodine
    Charlie, I will put future recipes (the above isn't really a recipe ;) in the recipe thread.
  • gaylebodine
    Oh, and Charlie, yes, we giggled and belly laughed as well! Nothing like old friends.
  • gaylebodine
    Going to do a Saturday weigh in since I have to have my son to school super early this morning and hate to weigh in so early.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,356 Member
    Hi, all! It's Friday morning check-in! I have a new low of 145!

Challenge Goal: 140 by July 3rd
    4/3/15: 152
    4/10/15: 151
    4/17/15 150
    4/24/15: 149
    5/1/15: 150
    5/8/15: 150
    5/15/15: 145.5
    5/22/15: 146
    5/29/15: 146
    6/5/15: 145

Continue to use the rowing machine most days. 0x :(
    Continue Tai Chi twice a week. - 2x at class. (weather not nice enough to go to park to practice though).
    Try to get more sleep. Averaged over 6 hours, that is better!
    Start back up on outdoor walking -- weather permitting. - :( Weather wasn't permitting.
    Continue meditation - 3X in past 7 days.
    Try, try, try to at least do strength/resistance training once in a while. 2x strength training with dumbbells which is all I want to do.

A couple of notes about my goals for this challenge:
    1. I should be able to do 140 lbs. by July 3, BUT, not the way I am going. Will be lucky if I see 143.
    2. I hate resistance training with the bands, but I don't mind it so much with the dumbbells (only 3 pounds, but heavy enough for right now. They still get tough the last few of reps). Moral to the story: If one thing doesn't work, try something else!

I leave for vacation tomorrow. We have rented a 5-bedroom cabin in Canaan Valley, WV. My son's family, my daughter and her SO (although neither she nor he will be able to stay beyond Monday) and my ex. (Some of you may not know, but my ex and I are un-American. Divorced for 26 years, but best friends!)

We will cook most meals, but the challenges will be 2nd helpings (I don't cook at home so 2nd helpings aren't an issue) and snacks and alcohol (particularly guacamole, which I will make and then want to binge on. I will buy plenty of raw veggies rather than chips though).

On the other side, we will do lots of hiking and other outdoor activities if the weather is good (and some even if it isn't). I don't expect to lose, but hope to maintain, at least.

We will have wi-fi at the cabin, so logging in shouldn't be a problem.

Hope you all had, and will have, a good week!
    Charlie
  • gaylebodine
    Charlie, good for you with the new low! That sounds like such a great vacation. Hope the weather is good at the cabin! The guacamole is something I've been craving and indulging in lately. I really need to make some at home--do you have a good recipe? Think that is so great that you can be friends with your X. My first is gone now (no, was not the death of him) and might be friends with my last X but don't really get on that well with her husband. Although I respect her saint-like qualities for putting up with him! But, when kids are involved, and grandkids, it is so great if the family can just enjoy themselves together! I think you are doing well with your goals. I dropped out my daily walks when it got so rainy here. Hopefully we will start having more sunny days soon.
  • MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    Current goals:
    1) reach 130.0 - not yet, close but...
    2) not gain while in NY - achieved goal! and lost 1/2 lb.
    3) Korean homework - none, but my sister left today for FL and my schedule should settle down.

I look forward to the new recipe and study threads- good idea Charlie!

For anyone wanting to start a Korean drama (drama doesn't mean dramatic, in this context it is just a TV series - some are romantic comedies, thrillers, historic, action...) I would recommend Coffee Prince, a very popular rom-com. Hulu has it. What would you recommend Charlie?

My DH is waiting for me right now to join him for the next episode of "City Hall" :smiley:
  • gaylebodine
    Challenge Goal: 164
    4/03/15: 177.3
    4/10/15: 174.7
    4/17/15: 173.9
    4/24/15: 174.1
    5/02/15: 174.7
    5/08/15: 172.4
    5/15/15: 175.2
    5/22/15: 173.6
    5/30/15: 174.2
    6/06/15: 172.9

Happy with today's weigh in! Almost back to my "low" and that is such good news. New goal for this challenge: get into the 160's. I've been bouncing around in the 170's for too long. Hurt my foot, painful to walk on, bummer! Have a busy work day so will just have to limp around and get into the podiatrist on Monday.
    Pam those look like great goals!
  • drags59
    drags59 Posts: 85 Member
    So, what I have learned thus far:
    If it rains you can still walk, but the odor of wet dog permeates EVERYTHING
    Taking even one step off the reservation opens the floodgates to many steps...we won't be doing that again.
    Most of my high protein items also have high sugar, so to meet the daily limits and still get the protein that I need, I have to drink the Isopure. Which thankfully doesn't taste all that bad.
    Guilty crumb donuts do not taste the same as regular crumb donuts.
    It is difficult to get the water in when you are drinking your protein especially when at work.
    If you log your food after 12am, you lose all your days even if you still log your food...
    My walk on the wild side only netted me 3 lbs more, so I am back to my starting weight...Thank God.

• gaylebodine
    Cheryl, did you get hooked by the "free donut day"? I think I would have had one but forgot about it while doing other errands. Good recovery! I learned the hard way about losing my login "streak". I should be at 1 year on July 7th but it will only be showing 303 days when I get there because I didn't log in before midnight one day last August. Sigh.
  • drags59
    drags59 Posts: 85 Member
    Nope, Mom wanted to go partake, but like I said, guilty donuts taste different. And that would have meant putting clothes back on and leaving the house and I am very much a homebody these days.
  • gaylebodine
    Hey guys, 4 Fridays left in this 13 week challenge...time to kick it!
  • MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    Thanks for the reminder Gayle!
  • gaylebodine
    Need to state (again) my new goal for this challenge: get into the 160's!!
  • gaylebodine
    Hi Guys, be sure to check in with you weight and goals for the next week, either today or Saturday!
  • gaylebodine
    Hi Guys, be sure to check in with you weight and goals for the next week, either today or Saturday!
  • gaylebodine
    Challenge Goal: 164169
    4/03/15: 177.3
    4/10/15: 174.7
    4/17/15: 173.9
    4/24/15: 174.1
    5/02/15: 174.7
    5/08/15: 172.4
    5/15/15: 175.2
    5/22/15: 173.6
    5/30/15: 174.2
    6/06/15: 172.9
    6/12/15: 174.3
    Not proud of myself, going the wrong direction. Have 5 pounds to leave behind if I want to reach my new goal of 169. And three weigh ins before the end of this challenge. How is everyone else doing? Are you thinking of the next challenge and where you want to be by the end of summer? Hey, it has been kind of lonely in here lately. Where is everyone else? My pledge from now until July 3rd, the end of this challenge and the beginning of the next: Back to: measuring everything, recording everything; no substitutions or dodgy estimations. Drinking every drop of all 9 cups of water. Walking 4 times a week, minimum.