Exercise and Weight Loss Challenges

Replies

• Cclill
    Cclill Posts: 191 Member
    Good luck Gayle! An apple a day might help.

Anyone have a scale they really like?
    I Bought a digital but it isnt consistant so dont know which weight to believe.
    So bought the kind with dial, but cant see the lines between the five pound lines! And thats with my glasses on.
    Made me laugh.
    Went to my anytime fitness club tonight but key didnt work.
    Id forgotten i was doing free7 day trial and week over already.
    So i drove to hilly neighborhood and walked there, which was great since not raining.
    Monday i will join club.

• grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,356 Member
    edited June 2015
    It is still a downward trend. Don't give up yet, Gayle. I think it is challenges like this that will help us maintain when we get there.

However. I did move my goal from 115 to 130. That was my original goal, but, I think 115 will be too thin. 130 will be 108 pounds loss total and 100 on MFP. Of course, losing 15 more pounds can't be that same 5 pounds three times, can it?
  • gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,689 Member
    Wow Charlie, if I could count all those 5, 10 and 20 pounds that I've lost (and regained) during my adult life it would be an astounding number. No! It can't be the same 5 pounds X three ;)
  • gaylebodine
    Lill, I think you are on to something with the apple a day. Funny about all the obstacles in your weight loss path but impressive that you kept on going and just collected all the humorous thwarts. Don't think the word thwart can really be used that way but letting it stand.
  • gaylebodine
    Speaking of humour: I've started a "discussion" tied to this group that's "Quotes and Jokes About Dieting".
  • gaylebodine
    Lill, about the scale.
    1. make sure that you are not on a carpet
    2. put your feet on the same location on your scale
    3. record the weight after you have weighed and see the same number 3 times in a row
    4. weight the same time each day, if possible
    5. get magnifying glasses at walgreens ;)

• gaylebodine
    I mean weigh the same time. I find my weight to be very different when I weigh at 6:00 am as opposed to 10:00 am. And I NEVER weigh myself late in the day, to avoid shock.
  • grandmothercharlie
    Great day! Gym. Library. Son's for a fathers day cookout. I went to downtown park this evening for theater in the park. Captain Blood!
  • Cclill
    @maryschwartzroby: Make sure there is not something else going on with the dry mouth. I have an autoimmune syndrome called Sjögrens where your own white blood cells attack your moisture producing glands. I don't have bad symptoms and my rheumatologist diagnosed it (often accompanies RA). Symptoms dry mouth and eyes, joint pain, fatigue and can lead to more serious stuff.

Here is a link: https://sjogrens.org/
    Lill, I think you are on to something with the apple a day. Funny about all the obstacles in your weight loss path but impressive that you kept on going and just collected all the humorous thwarts. Don't think the word thwart can really be used that way but letting it stand.
    Lill, about the scale.
    1. make sure that you are not on a carpet
    2. put your feet on the same location on your scale
    3. record the weight after you have weighed and see the same number 3 times in a row
    4. weight the same time each day, if possible
    5. get magnifying glasses at walgreens ;)

• Cclill
    I love "thwart" as a noun! :-)
    Thanks for scale advice!
    Will try it in the morning, after i pee.
    Will avoid it rest of day!
    I am going to make tuesdays my 600 calorie days because i teach two classes, which keeps me too busy to eat much anyway.
    I know from experience that All i need before first class is an egg.
    Then have protein meal during break between classes.
    Then after second class have protein snack and go to bed.
    Thats the plan anyway!

• MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    The only goal I haven't reached this time is spending time reviewing my Korean classes. DH and I know that watching dramas doesn't really count, but we enjoy hearing words we know.

Since I've hit my target weight loss of 48 lbs. and down to 130.0 lbs.(and sometimes have actually seen 129.6 yipes) I haven't changed anything. Still logging and keeping active. Not really sure how to proceed. Maybe I'll just see how it settles in. I'm trying to find time to write my success posting with before & after pics.

I don't understand the constant water drinking. I drink when I'm thirsty. I googled <the myth of 8 glasses of water> years ago, it's worth reading - the snopes.com article is a good summary.

• MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    Gayle: you asked what I map a while ago. Graphics are the easiest way to share information. Currently I am working on: the Christina River Corridor trail guide, a small cemetery in Bohemia Manor, root control treatment maps for New Castle county, the Claymont Historic Tour Guide, and scanning/indexing 15 drawers of vintage park maps.
  • drags59
    drags59 Posts: 85 Member
    Scales: I have a BalanceFrom Smart Step-on Technology And I totally like it, especially when it weighs me in low! Got it off of Amazon and the reason I preferred it is because 1) it has large numbers and 2) it lights up in the dark. 3) it has a warranty.

Due to inflammation in my SI joint, I have had to curtail the exercising, so no more walking for a bit. Hopefully the injection this morning will alleviate the pain from hell. PT should start soon as well...joy, joy...NOT.

The water intake has gotten better, seeing that smaller number on the scales may convince me to give up the tea or scale down quite a bit...the headaches suck!

Gayle, I have a couple of suggestions...will email you later. Don't give up yet.
  • gaylebodine
    Back to my one fast day a week. Yesterday did it and down on the scale today. That is the encouragement I need. Today within calories so should be in shape tomorrow as well. Know I'm walking with a friend tomorrow. And Wednesday teaching so active during the day. Should be a good week.

Pam: fascinating about the maps. The only kind of maps I do are "mind maps". Also, maybe different people are different with the water. When I drink my 8 or 9 glasses I feel less hungry and have a better scale. I personally think it is important, especially if eating a higher protein diet. Also like the idea of "washing the fat away". Congrats on your attainment of your goal!!!!! We are watching you re: maintenance.
  • grandmothercharlie
    Pam, the older we get, the more likely we will allow ourselves to dehydrate, but I agree, 8 glaases a day is myth. However, it can subdue appetite AND if you do tend to dehydrate, your body will hold water as protection and can cause a water weight gain. I was liquid restricted for so long, I still dont drink a lot of water.

Some people on maintenance increase their daily calories by 100. they stick with that for couple of weeks or so and increase again. they do this until they gain. Thats how they determine where they should be.

I am really enjoying Divorce Layer in Love.
  • grandmothercharlie
    I had a whoosh today. Friday I was at 150 I think. Yesterday, 148. today, 144. thats a new low.
  • grandmothercharlie
    Pam, sorry for all the typos above. Late at night on my smart phone.
  • grandmothercharlie
    Oooh, 143.5 this a.m. That is usually it. Usually I will get down 1 1/2 lbs from the low and then stagnate again. I am really going to push though. I don't see 140 by the 3rd though.
  • grandmothercharlie
    Just posted a "water" article that came to me today via MapMyWalk. It is in the links/articles thread.
  • gaylebodine
    Did a radical thing today. I got sick of struggling to get back to my low (I'm up again today) so reset my goals to reflect today's weight. Fast on Sunday, then a good day and I'm up today. Well, I'm not going to quit and am going to forge on. I was actually messing with my goals in hopes that my daily calories would go down. So quite a shock to see my profile say I've lost 44 pounds, not 47. Sigh. Well, the truth will set us free, right, hopefully from unwanted pounds.