Exercise and Weight Loss Challenges

Replies

• Cclill
    Cclill Posts: 191 Member
    I had a whoosh today. Friday I was at 150 I think. Yesterday, 148. today, 144. thats a new low.

Congrats on your new low!!!!
  • Cclill
    Back to my one fast day a week. Yesterday did it and down on the scale today. That is the encouragement I need. Today within calories so should be in shape tomorrow as well. Know I'm walking with a friend tomorrow. And Wednesday teaching so active during the day. Should be a good week.

Pam: fascinating about the maps. The only kind of maps I do are "mind maps". Also, maybe different people are different with the water. When I drink my 8 or 9 glasses I feel less hungry and have a better scale. I personally think it is important, especially if eating a higher protein diet. Also like the idea of "washing the fat away". Congrats on your attainment of your goal!!!!! We are watching you re: maintenance.

So happy for you Gayle! Good job with that 600 cal fast!!
  • Cclill
    Did a radical thing today. I got sick of struggling to get back to my low (I'm up again today) so reset my goals to reflect today's weight. Fast on Sunday, then a good day and I'm up today. Well, I'm not going to quit and am going to forge on. I was actually messing with my goals in hopes that my daily calories would go down. So quite a shock to see my profile say I've lost 44 pounds, not 47. Sigh. Well, the truth will set us free, right, hopefully from unwanted pounds.

Life is not fair!! You are doing everything right. It has to show up eventually! I wonder if metabolism can be hypnotized to speed up? You are my hero!
  • gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,689 Member
    Lill I know the big secret is more muscle mass and not eating Hershey's nuggets after I've closed my diary for the day ;)
  • Cclill
    I just lied to mft in order to get it to show my diary post. Today was my 600 caorie day, so i added 500 calories i didnt eat. Gayle is that what you do on your fast day?
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,356 Member
    You can add them as quick calories OR I would just leave it and not close out. You don't have to. Then write a note on your status to friends on newsfeed that you were light and they can go to your diary directly if they choose.
  • gaylebodine
    Right Charlie. It will yell at you (you are eating too few calories! in red) or you can quick add calories to keep the program happy.
  • gaylebodine
    Cclill wrote: »
    I just lied to mft in order to get it to show my diary post. Today was my 600 caorie day, so i added 500 calories i didnt eat. Gayle is that what you do on your fast day?

Lill, mfp is not set up to support the 5/2 diet. It is designed to make clear that they don't endorse the use of mfp to support eating disorders.
  • Cclill

Lill, mfp is not set up to support the 5/2 diet. It is designed to make clear that they don't endorse the use of mfp to support eating disorders.

Yep i understand they probably do that for liability reasons. Just feels weird to lie to a computer program rather than myself :-)
  • Cclill
    Lill I know the big secret is more muscle mass and not eating Hershey's nuggets after I've closed my diary for the day ;)

Ha! Speaking of chocolate, i have discovered that only one bite of an 88% chocolate bar satisfies my craving! I can have it in the house without eating it all at once! Need it in car with me, but it melts. Small cooler is the answer. A cooler just for a chocolate bar. Ha!
    You can add them as quick calories OR I would just leave it and not close out. You don't have to. Then write a note on your status to friends on newsfeed that you were light and they can go to your diary directly if they choose.

Thanks Charlie! Is this the newsfeed page? (I haven't had time yet to read those tutorials sent me)
  • Cclill

Ha! Speaking of chocolate, i have discovered that only one bite of an 88% chocolate bar satisfies my craving! I can have it in the house without eating it all at once! Need it in car with me, but it melts. Small cooler is the answer. A cooler just for a chocolate bar. Ha!

Thanks Charlie! Is this the newsfeed page? (I haven't had time yet to read those tutorials sent me)

I meant the tutorials Gayle sent me
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,356 Member
    edited June 2015
    Not sure if you mean how to use quick calories or how to use the Newsfeed, so I'll tell you both. Of course, it is a little different depending on how you access MFP. I have it on 2 phones, one tablet and two computers. So:

On a computer, to do quick calories. Under the meal in your diary, it will say Quick Tools. Just click and it has the option to "quick add calories." Click again and put in whatever you want. You can also subtract, if you choose with a minus sign.

Also on the computer: To get to the newsfeed, it is on your home page. There is a text box that asks, "What's on your mind." You can leave messages to your friends there. That is also where your diary posts when you close it out if you are sharing it.

On android app: When you add food to your diary, it gives you a +Add Food, but across from that it says ...More. Click on "more". You then are given the choice to "Quick Add." You can add calories, but cannot subtract on the app like you can on the computer.

To add to newsfeed message on the Android app is a little harder to find. If you click on the very top (3 lines on the left next to myfitnesspal) from your Home, it will bring up a menu with your photo. Click on your photo to get to My Profile. You will see a blue line that says History with a caption sign at the right end. Click on the caption sign and it will bring up a text box so you can add a comment to your newsfeed.

• gaylebodine
    edited June 2015
    Lill, This is the the main discussion page for our Senior Challenge group. I think you have noticed that there are other discussions under this group, thanks to Charlie. I think that Charlie is talking about either: posts you make on your profile page or comments you make in response to the automatic updates or comments others make about your automatic updates on your home page example of automatic status update:

Cclill
    lost 0.6 lbs since her last weigh-in!
    Like · Comment · 3 hours ago

Course Charlie has been here a much longer than I have (think she is over 400 days) so knows more specifics including the proper names for the program's functions. Sorry, I couldn't help jumping in.
  • gaylebodine
    Lill, I will try that with the better quality chocolate! Great advice!
  • MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    Speaking of melting chocolate in car... I found that the Dove Promises fit snuggly in the AC vent fins (or whatever you call the louvered things). They get cold and hard very quickly!
  • drags59
    drags59 Posts: 85 Member
    What exactly are quick calories and do they mean the same thing in everyone's food diary? Now that I am finally getting more water in said body, I am finding it harder to get 1290 calories in said body at the same time. Mostly I focus on the protein and sugar sometimes to the detriment of the fat. But getting the protein in is the most important to me. When I am at work, most of the time I cannot eat the entire entrée in one sitting so it ends up in me later or not at all as I am just not hungry. Is it really a big deal if I don't hit the calorie goal?
  • drags59
    drags59 Posts: 85 Member
    I am a chocolate feign as well, usually at work when the stress level is climbing. I have managed for the most part to get the chocolate from the Kind bars. They have a lot of flavors: Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate, Dark Chocolate Cinnamon Pecan, Dark Chocolate Mocha Almond, Dark Chocolate Nuts & Sea Salt, Dark Chocolate Chunk, Dark Chocolate Cherry Cashew, Dark Chocolate Chili Almond, Salted Caramel & Dark Chocolate Nut. Depending on the flavor you get, they either add antioxidants or protein and that is what turned me on to the Kind bars in the first place. Began my love affair right after the bypass surgery. For me, it is better than other things I can snack on too. And then there is all the fruity stuff, Blueberry this, Strawberry that, as well as Yogurt covered stuff and on and on. Obviously I'd rather have a Snickers or a Milky Way, but 5gm of sugar for kind bar? I can deal with it. And the majority of the fat is usually due to the nuts.
  • gaylebodine
    MapDancer wrote: »
    Speaking of melting chocolate in car... I found that the Dove Promises fit snuggly in the AC vent fins (or whatever you call the louvered things). They get cold and hard very quickly!

Genius!
  • gaylebodine
    Cheryl, I haven't tried the kind bars yet. Tried on of my son's Cliff protein bars today when I was running late and was hungry in an hour again. You know what I like that certainly aren't all natural, are the Slimfast Peanut Butter Crunch Time snack bars that taste like Butter Finger candy bars and are only 100 calories.
  • MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    I found the Kind bars a few months back and enjoy them a lot. The Apricot Yogurt bar is almost like dessert. Dove dark and Chocolove (with ginger or raspberries) are my favorite chocolates.