Exercise and Weight Loss Challenges

Replies

• MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    drags59 wrote: »
    What exactly are quick calories and do they mean the same thing in everyone's food diary? Now that I am finally getting more water in said body, I am finding it harder to get 1290 calories in said body at the same time. Mostly I focus on the protein and sugar sometimes to the detriment of the fat. But getting the protein in is the most important to me. When I am at work, most of the time I cannot eat the entire entrée in one sitting so it ends up in me later or not at all as I am just not hungry. Is it really a big deal if I don't hit the calorie goal?

Quick Calories are just a "calorie only" entry - protein, fats etc. of course can't be calculated. Useful when you don't have the exact product or it was just a bit here and there and you are estimating.

I'm not interested in the new paying-version of MFP. Is anyone else doing it?

Hitting 1200 calories/day wasn't ever a problem for me till the past few months. There were some days when I looked at my total and it was just 1000. That's when I would go for a Kind bar. I never go to sleep without 1200. Of course, I probably would have lost faster if I could have.
  • gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,689 Member
    Cheryl, I only use the quick add, as a rule, when I do my 1/2 calorie days. I don't like the program yelling at me about being under calories (my fast days are 500 - 600 calories). The auto-scolding is in there to remind you that it is not healthy to go much below your diet level calories. Glad you are drinking more water now. It does help with hunger! Pam, I'm big on a snack before bed. I have trouble sleeping when I'm hungry. I love Dove (a bit too much so I don't keep them in the house) and the Chocolove. Love that the individually wrapped Dove candies have a little affirmation written on the wrapper.
  • gaylebodine
    I use ad blocker pro ABP (free) on my Google Chrome so I already miss all the ads including, apparently, the offer to upgrade to the paid version of MFP. The free version is just perfect for me.
  • Cclill
    Cclill Posts: 191 Member
    MapDancer wrote: »
    I found the Kind bars a few months back and enjoy them a lot. The Apricot Yogurt bar is almost like dessert. Dove dark and Chocolove (with ginger or raspberries) are my favorite chocolates.
    What exactly are quick calories and do they mean the same thing in everyone's food diary? Now that I am finally getting more water in said body, I am finding it harder to get 1290 calories in said body at the same time. Mostly I focus on the protein and sugar sometimes to the detriment of the fat. But getting the protein in is the most important to me. When I am at work, most of the time I cannot eat the entire entrée in one sitting so it ends up in me later or not at all as I am just not hungry. Is it really a big deal if I don't hit the calorie goal?

Quick Calories are just a "calorie only" entry - protein, fats etc. of course can't be calculated. Useful when you don't have the exact product or it was just a bit here and there and you are estimating.

Hitting 1200 calories/day wasn't ever a problem for me till the past few months. There were some days when I looked at my total and it was just 1000. That's when I would go for a Kind bar. I never go to sleep without 1200. Of course, I probably would have lost faster if I could have.

• Cclill
    I say, if not hungry don't eat just to make mfp happy. None of us are anorexic :-). "Quick add" can be found by clicking on "more" which is to the far right of every "add food" on the food diary page.
  • Cclill
    Cclill wrote: »
    I found the Kind bars a few months back and enjoy them a lot. The Apricot Yogurt bar is almost like dessert. Dove dark and Chocolove (with ginger or raspberries) are my favorite chocolates.

• MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    I going to a conference this weekend and will try free-range eating Fri-Sun. I guess I'll log breakfast so I don't lose the streak, but it's not correct anyway.. After 1.5 years of doing this I should be able to judge portion sizes. I'll pop up on Monday with my results.
  • gaylebodine
    Pam, I trust you to stay true. I'm realizing that this is not about a diet but rather a commitment to health and learning how to nourish oneself.
  • drags59
    drags59 Posts: 85 Member
    You know what I like that certainly aren't all natural, are the Slimfast Peanut Butter Crunch Time snack bars that taste like Butter Finger candy bars and are only 100 calories.

Before the bypass, the nurses kept saying you need to stop eating so much and I was honestly trying to cut it down, but it felt like I was hardly eating and was starving all the time. After the bypass was when I realized what the heck they were talking about, I couldn't even eat a whole boiled egg. So I basically had to learn how to eat all over again and started reading labels as the priority other than water was protein. The nutritionist said the way to determine what was good for me to eat was to divide the calories by grams of protein and if the end result was less than 15, then I could eat it.

Now obviously I don't strictly adhere to that anymore because if I did the Kind bars would go out the window, but I look at it now as one of the things I can snack on that will not cause me the same issues that chips or candy or whatever else will.
  • drags59
    "Quick add" can be found by clicking on "more" which is to the far right of every "add food" on the food diary page.

I know where quick add is, just didn't know what it was used for. And personally, I am not going to eat up to the 1290 calories just because mfp says I should if I am literally full. That is partially what got me into this mess in the first place.

• gaylebodine
    Cheryl, I am glad that you are connected to someone on mfp who has also had that surgery. I am sure you are facing things unique to that reality that I know little about. Course I think that each of us has our own particular health related need or limitation that factors into our process of becoming more fit.
  • gaylebodine
    Cheryl, I recommend that you talk to your doctor and others who have had this surgery about your calorie and nutrition needs and how to best utilize mfp.
  • Cclill
    I say, if not hungry don't eat just to make mfp happy. None of us are anorexic :-). "Quick add" can be found by clicking on "more" which is to the far right of every "add food" on the food diary page.

• Cclill
    Btw I have discovered dr advice Has changed lots since last time i dieted. Despite my high cholesterol, my doc told me to eat fat to feel full. It works for me! I was starving on weight watchers, but now rarely need to eat all allowed mfp calories. Doc told me to think of sugar as poison. No wonder the lowfat/high carb craze in the 90's messed me up. Pasta is like poison for me too, since it turns into sugar.
  • drags59
    Cheryl, Course I think that each of us has our own particular health related need or limitation that factors into our process of becoming more fit.

Yeah that's true. I've been trying to fit myself into MFP's idea of what I should eat to lose, but having a hard time doing so. For instance, if I eat just half of the Jimmy Dean mac and cheese bowl that I have fallen in love with. I cannot eat or drink another thing for close to 2 to 3 hours as I am full. But that only gives me so many calories, so I either eat to bulk up the calories or instead, most of the time I just drink the water. Since I know the protein intake is the most important that and the water is what I concentrate on...other than dropping the sugar down.

Ya know, I didn't even think to call the doctor to ask. After the surgery, I never went back for any of the follow up classes as they all conflicted with my work schedule. Strangely enough the world for the most part works the day shift, naturally I do not. Thanx.
  • drags59
    Oh and now that I have been here a month or so, I want a fitbit!!!
  • gaylebodine
    Oh and now that I have been here a month or so, I want a fitbit!!!

lol!
  • gaylebodine
    Cheryl, great that you are going to give the doc a call. I saw there there is a bariatric surgery group (there are probably others as well) that you can check out for more info. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/637-gastric-bypass-vsg-lapband
  • gaylebodine
    Challenge Goal: 164169
    4/03/15: 177.3
    4/10/15: 174.7
    4/17/15: 173.9
    4/24/15: 174.1
    5/02/15: 174.7
    5/08/15: 172.4
    5/15/15: 175.2
    5/22/15: 173.6
    5/30/15: 174.2
    6/06/15: 172.9
    6/12/15: 174.3
    6/19/15: 175
    6/26/15: 173.2

Better today, but weighing at 10:00 rather than earlier, and that makes a huge difference, I think. Think I will just stop weighing on mornings I have to be up at 6:00 early. One more weigh in next week for the big finish for this challenge. Start thinking about how you have done this challenge and the goals you want to set for the next challenge.
  • Cclill
    Here are my numbers since returning from colorado where Gayle inspired me to join MFP Senior Challenge
    6/14/15: 95.2
    6/19/15: 94.2(i know it's the wrong day)
    6/26/15: 93.0

This is actually working! Thanks so much Gayle!