Exercise and Weight Loss Challenges

Replies

• drags59
    drags59 Posts: 85 Member
    Charlie, Did you notice whether the absence of your two morons had dissipated your stress level at all?
  • gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,689 Member
    I'm back,again.I've had my 3 grandchildren staying with me for a few days and they've decided they were ready to go home.Tomorrow I need to clean and straighten up,get things back to normal.
    Ladies ,great job on the weight losses!!
    When the next challenge starts I'm going to start on my current weight and go from there instead of going back to my original.I'm up to 172 from my low of 154.Sad but true.So whatever I weigh Friday will be my starting weight.i exercised today,first time in a couple of weeks,5 miles using an exercise tape.I got so off track and feel bad.
    No more excuses.

Welcome back Mary! The new challenge starts on this Friday, July 3rd!
  • gaylebodine
    Cheryl, all I know is I was eating handfuls of almonds a day (or more) when I bought bulk, but now down to one 100 calorie pack a day. So actually more expensive when I "parcel" myself, if you know what I mean.
  • drags59
    ...handfuls of almonds a day (or more) when I bought bulk, but now down to one 100 calorie pack a day. So actually more expensive when I "parcel" myself, if you know what I mean.

Sounds like we are the exact opposite on this one.
  • Cclill
    Cclill Posts: 191 Member
    I am going to follow Gayles advice about not doing too many low calorie days
    But first i had to have my planned 600 cal day, which will be every tuesday.
    I chose tuesday because im very busy teaching two 3 1/2 hr writing classes.

Here is how it went:
    Today was start of term, in a new place that is on "mainstreet" of small college town.
    Had My usual one egg for breakfast at 11 am ( I'm night owl so my breakfast is your lunchtime)
    with plan to eat lunch at 5 pm between classes, at a tiny sandwich-to-go shop across the street.

Before first class, turns out i had to lug 3 long tables out of a closet and set them up.
    Then after class, had to take them down and lug them to another room and set them up to be ready for my 6 pm class.
    Told myself it was good strengthening exercise.
    (Should explain that i teach above a theater, in dance rehersal rooms, which is why tables not already set up.)

Then i was finally ready for lunch break, but not much time left.
    And place across the street was closed! so had to walk to nearest place two blocks away
    for a slice of veggie pizza that took 15 minutes to make!
    ran back to second class (more exercise) but there was no time to eat the pizza.

At end of night class, my students helped me put tables back in closet, so not much more exercise.
    Finally Ate my slice of pizza at 10 pm.
    Going to bed early due to exhausting day.
    Tuesdays good day for 600 calories.
    :-)

• grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,356 Member
    drags59 wrote: »
    Charlie, Did you notice whether the absence of your two morons had dissipated your stress level at all?
    I think it has. Although right now I'm scrambling to get work done with one foreman and one temp and short week. But it is better than the complainers.

@gaylebodine I'm not up, but I'm not down either. I haven't had much exercise (cardio) as I am still so tired.

@Cclill Great planning. This way of life requires a good plan.

@drags59 Like Gayle, I will binge on crunchy snacks if I package them myself. Wish I had your willpower!

@maryschwartzroby Hope you had some fun with the grands. My son and I are taking his two little girls to PA camping starting this Sunday through Wednesday (actually, I'm going to go to their house Saturday to help pack, buy groceries and celebrate the 4th!). A 2-year old and a 5-year old in a 27' camper. Oh, and their dog! Doesn't sound like the most relaxing vacation to me, but his wife will be out-of-town and he wanted to go back to PA, so...I imagine you feel like me. I love spending time with the grandkids, but there was a reason we have children when we are young. They are exhausting!

I need to get back on a good routine again, too, Mary. I just have been sloughing off so much lately. July will be our month!

• Cclill
    Interesting. Mfp doesnt consider furniture moving (aka lugging long tables) as strength exercise.
    But it does give me calorie credit for cardio.
    And i know table-lugging will make me stronger, so all is good.
  • gaylebodine
    Now, if you were dead-lifting said tables, repetitively, then that would be strength exercise. Man, so many furniture movers in this group! ;)
  • drags59
    Hey if you go to www.calorielab.com and click on calories burned, there is a huge list in there for basically life. Although I did find one thing that wasn't listed, standing, pacing, typing while attached to a headset at work. Finally went for light walking around the office, but there should be something for pacing back and forth in a cubicle for X number of minutes.
  • drags59
    @drags59 Like Gayle, I will binge on crunchy snacks if I package them myself. Wish I had your willpower!

In this instance, it's not about willpower, it is more about ulcerative colitis. And I have learned not to binge as the end result just freaking bites!
  • Cclill
    Thanks for calorielab.com tip!
  • gaylebodine
    drags59 wrote: »
    Hey if you go to www.calorielab.com and click on calories burned, there is a huge list in there for basically life. Although I did find one thing that wasn't listed, standing, pacing, typing while attached to a headset at work. Finally went for light walking around the office, but there should be something for pacing back and forth in a cubicle for X number of minutes.

Cheryl, I walk around the room when I teach, but mostly pacing up front. I've counted it as "walking leisurely pace" since I start and stop.
  • gaylebodine
    All, just a reminder that tomorrow is the final weigh-in for this challenge, and the start of a new challenge which runs from July 3rd until September 4th, 9 weeks. Start thinking about what you want to accomplish in terms of weight loss and holistic health goals?
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,356 Member
    We have invited Beth or gmabethof3 to join us. Beth lives in Cincinnati and is logging daily and is really enthusiastic! She will be a great addition to our group.
  • drags59
    All, just a reminder that tomorrow is the final weigh-in for this challenge, and the start of a new challenge which runs from July 3rd until September 4th, 9 weeks. Start thinking about what you want to accomplish in terms of weight loss and holistic health goals?

Initially I was going to do the kettlebell stuff, but until my back heals...I think I am going to leave that off my list.
    1. PT begins soon, so am going to use that for the strength exercise and try to strengthen the glutes and whatever else is attached to the SI joint from hell.
    2. Goal is to work up to 2 bottles of water daily
    3. Goal of 10 to 15 pounds lost by September, even with multiple slides backwards should be able to accomplish that.

• maryschwartzroby
    maryschwartzroby Posts: 161 Member
    edited July 2015
    July3rd-171
    My goal for today-exercise and drink 14 glasses of water,
    Long time goal-lose 10 lbs on this challenge.
  • gaylebodine
    We have invited Beth or gmabethof3 to join us. Beth lives in Cincinnati and is logging daily and is really enthusiastic! She will be a great addition to our group.

Charlie, she is having trouble finding this group (apparently the search function is broken). If you could offer guidance as well that would be good.
  • gmabethof3
    gmabethof3 Posts: 267 Member
    July 3rd - 176.5 goal. My challenge from July 3 till September 3 is going to be 15 lbs.
  • gaylebodine
    Challenge Goal: 164169
    4/03/15: 177.3
    4/10/15: 174.7
    4/17/15: 173.9
    4/24/15: 174.1
    5/02/15: 174.7
    5/08/15: 172.4
    5/15/15: 175.2
    5/22/15: 173.6
    5/30/15: 174.2
    6/06/15: 172.9
    6/12/15: 174.3
    6/19/15: 175
    6/26/15: 173.2
    7/03/15: 174.3

Just lost 3 pounds during this challenge but have been losing much slower after the first 45. Guess this phase is more like maintenance: bouncing up and down with a slow adjustment down in weight. At least that is how I'm viewing it.
    Thanks for being here guys! Really helps me to be accountable to others as well as myself and to have my goals be stated for others to see.

For this challenge: I would like to lose 5 pounds. My weight goal for this next challenge is 169. I intend to do a fast day (600 calories) once a week, consistently. I intend to walk a minimum of 3 times a week for a minimum of 45 minutes. In terms of life accomplishments: create and conduct at least one online class and establish a SoulCollage open studio group that meets twice a month. Develop a weekly routine to get more done each week. Improve my finances. Get my car body work done. Work on my health.
  • gaylebodine
    July3rd-171
    My goal for today-exercise and drink 14 glasses of water,
    Long time goal-lose 10 lbs on this challenge.
    Mary, 14 glasses is a bit high. You don't want to stress your kidneys or spend all day in the ladies room. Strive for 9 or 10 and record on your mfp diary. Great to have you on this challenge!