Exercise and Weight Loss Challenges

Replies

• drags59
    drags59 Posts: 85 Member
    For those of you who actually cook, how do you go about figuring out the nutrition facts of what you eat?
  • Cclill
    Cclill Posts: 191 Member
    Speaking of leaving a bite on the plate. I eat out a lot and have a trick for the huge portions. When i order the meal I order a to go box at the same time, and immediately put half the meal away. Dont feel deprived because look forward to having it later. Though now im ordering low cal meals, i still put half in togo box so dont stretch my stomach.
  • gmabethof3
    gmabethof3 Posts: 267 Member
    Cclill wrote: »
    Speaking of leaving a bite on the plate. I eat out a lot and have a trick for the huge portions. When i order the meal I order a to go box at the same time, and immediately put half the meal away. Dont feel deprived because look forward to having it later. Though now im ordering low cal meals, i still put half in togo box so dont stretch my stomach.

Hi Cclill, I do this same thing. It helps so much, and like you, I don't feel deprived because I have it to eat later, (or even as a meal for the next day). Doing this, I do not feel guilty about going out to eat.

• MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    Thanks Gayle for putting into words my new plan.
    I think you are right that you ritual of weighing, then logging in and recording breakfast sounds like just the thing for maintenance.
    I had thought of those items separately but now it seems like a good system. 129-132 is my target.
    It was a real surprise to see 127.8 this morning so I had a whole glass of milk with my leftover peanut butter pancakes. I guess now is the start of the balancing act, not eating in a deficit.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Hi All,

Can I join back in? I logged on today for the first time in months. Life just got to me with travel, and long colds and coughs for both of us then some issues with friend's health and family.

I have been thinking in the past month, that life goes better for me if I am in control of what I am eating and when and how much I am exercising. I totally lost it and my weight and well being paid for it.

There are some old friends here who have done so very well in my absence! I am totally in awe! And, some new faces too.

Am I too late to set goals for this new challenge?

Marney
  • gmabethof3
    Hi All,

Can I join back in? I logged on today for the first time in months. Life just got to me with travel, and long colds and coughs for both of us then some issues with friend's health and family.

I have been thinking in the past month, that life goes better for me if I am in control of what I am eating and when and how much I am exercising. I totally lost it and my weight and well being paid for it.

There are some old friends here who have done so very well in my absence! I am totally in awe! And, some new faces too.

Marney

Hi Dasher,

Welcome back to MFP. I am new to this group, and happy to meet you. I hope to see you on my friends list and hope that you can get into this challenge.

Beth
  • gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,689 Member
    drags59 wrote: »
    For those of you who actually cook, how do you go about figuring out the nutrition facts of what you eat?

When you are in FOOD you can see the link on the next ribbon to recipes. You can either provide the url for a recipe you found online (and mfp will match the ingredients) or you can enter your own recipe, ingredient by ingredient. I do both although I mostly don't do that much cooking. BTW, Sparkpeople and Cooking Light have some great recipes.
  • gaylebodine
    Hi Marney! Oh, glad to see you back! And just in time for a new challenge! We weighed in for the first time last Friday. So tell us where you are at and where you want to be in September!
  • gaylebodine
    Beth, Marney and Dasher are the same person. And Pam = Mapdancer and Cheryl = drags59, and Charlie = Grandmother Charlie and gmabethof3 = Beth, and Gayle = well you know. Also Cclill = Lill, and Mary is around here somewhere as well but if I leave this page to find her screen name I'll lose this post. Have I forgotten anyone?
  • gaylebodine
    Oh, sounds yummy Pam! I want some right now!
  • dasher602014
    Thanks for the welcome! I should have come back ages ago but as we all know you have to be ready.

I am at 175 lbs. For September, I will be:

proud of my record of walking at least 5 days a week

keeping within the MFP suggestions for fat, fiber and sugar within a 1300 calorie diet 80% of the time

keeping to 1500 mg of daily salt, 80% of the time

at least 7 lbs lighter!!

To aid me in my efforts, I will:

log on to MFP daily and record my food and exercise results

wear my step counter daily

do a physical activity when I am cruising through the kitchen outside meal times.

and, enjoy the support offered here.

Thanks

Marney (dasher602014)
  • gaylebodine
    Sounds great Marney!
  • maryschwartzroby
    maryschwartzroby Posts: 161 Member
    Hi All,

Marney

Welcome back Marney!
  • gaylebodine
    July 7th is my birthday and I'm 64. Here is a related link: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1qc95_when-i-m-sixty-four_music
  • MapDancer
    Happy Birthday Gayle! You can make birthday peanut butter pancakes. I use the recipe from Recipes for a Small Planet. About 120 g/serving and keep them in the fridge for the week for quick breakfast. You can see I've been eating them with our backyard blueberries.

Thanks for putting together screen names/names, I was going to ask for that too.
  • MapDancer
    New challenge goals:
    On July 3rd I weighed 129.4, July 5th it was 127.8. My target weight is 130-132. So the plan to maintain my weight will be weighing every morning, logging my breakfast, and eating reasonably the rest of the day.

Now this may seem like a strange goal, but I live 3 hours away it and have never been to New York City. My dear friend is coming from CA to visit with her 2 girls (and I will take them folkdancing, Longwood Gardens, and make fun food like marshmallows). She use to live in Philly 20 year ago and took the train to NYC. Now she wants all of us to go to NYC. Even Philly seems to big for me. So will NYC really happen??

• gmabethof3
    Happy Birthday Gayle...Have a Great Day!
  • Cclill
    Cclill Posts: 191 Member
    Better send you early bday wish cuz tomorrow is my teaching day
    HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY BDAY GAYLE,!!
    IM 64 too and i do still need you! :-)
  • dasher602014
    I joined in just in time! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GAYLE! What a difference almost a year makes. I hope next year brings you joy and happiness.

Pam, I used to live in Toronto and NYC seemed way too big. Toronto is edging up to 5 million in the surrounding area. But NYC? I do sympathize with too big but .... you will have a great time with your friend and family. It will be so much fun to see the city with someone who knows the place and with 20 years passing, it will be new to her too!
  • gaylebodine
    A year ago, today, I resolved to get down to 168.8 in a year. Today I weigh 173.2 so got darn close. Here's to another year of health, fitness and community!