Exercise and Weight Loss Challenges

Replies

• gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,689 Member
    Guys, I recommend SMART goals: Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Time-limited.
  • maryschwartzroby
    maryschwartzroby Posts: 161 Member
    July3rd-171
    My goal for today-exercise and drink 14 glasses of water,
    Long time goal-lose 10 lbs on this challenge.
    Mary, 14 glasses is a bit high. You don't want to stress your kidneys or spend all day in the ladies room. Strive for 9 or 10 and record on your mfp diary. Great to have you on this challenge!

you're right,10 glasses is a smarter choice.
  • Cclill
    Cclill Posts: 191 Member
    Gayle I love your focus on the positive!
    Your trend IS definitely downward!
    This weigh-morning I am suffering from the vaguries of water weight and bad timing.
    Yesterday was 193..0
    Today am 195.2, which was where i was when i joined this group three weeks ago.
    But rather than worrying that ive plateued right out of the gate, im going to focus on the positive too.
    Which is : I am feeling much better physically, and proud of myself mentally.
    I know I have eaten far fewer calories and burned far mor calories than the scale shows.
    My goal for this challange period is to keep doing what i have been doing, and lose one pound a week.

• Cclill
    I have noticed that timed has slowed down since started weighing myself.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,356 Member
    Mine is a SMART goal; I already have my spreadsheet I created to tracks progress loaded on my phone and started on the first.

I will leave at least one bite of food on my plate 4 days a week for one meal. I will increase it a day a week so that it will be every day at the end of 4 weeks. I will go on to another meal doing it the same way. I need to train myself to stop eating. I always clean my plate whether I'm full or not.

I didn't make 140. I hit 143.5. Still having some struggles, but getting better. I am not going to set a weight goal. I am really slowing down as I get closer to goal and setting a goal will discourage me if I don't make it.

Good luck to everyone!

• gaylebodine
    Cclill wrote: »
    I have noticed that timed has slowed down since started weighing myself.
    That's a good thing, right? Getting more time in my day is a win for me!
  • gaylebodine
    gmabethof3 wrote: »
    July 3rd - 176.5 goal. My challenge from July 3 till September 3 is going to be 15 lbs.
    Welcome Beth! Tell us something about yourself. Great to have you here.
  • gmabethof3
    gmabethof3 Posts: 267 Member
    gmabethof3 wrote: »
    July 3rd - 176.5 goal. My challenge from July 3 till September 3 is going to be 15 lbs.
    Welcome Beth! Tell us something about yourself. Great to have you here.

Hi Gayle, I'm am so excited about this challenge, Thank you so much for inviting me....A little about me. I am 59, live in Cincinnati, Ohio along with my fiance. I have 3 children as well as 3 grandchildren, all the apple of my eye. I have had a weight problem since my last child (25 years ago, yes she was a change of life baby) and have not had any luck getting it off. I had wanted to get on MFP for awhile, and now that I am retired I am able to do so. Again thanks so much for the invite. I know that we will all have a good time together.
  • gaylebodine
    Charlie, good for you about leaving the bite on your plate. A very good practice, I think. It was something that I used to do. I had read in a novel (can't remember what) that a young woman was taught to always do this because it was lady like. ;) At some point (when I was much younger) someone teased me about it, I got embarrassed and stopped doing it. Now a-days I would say "Yes, it is a discipline I try to keep to control overeating". And they would think I was so impressive in terms of my self control. You have inspired me! I am going to work on adding this practice to my way of eating. Also, good for you about the SMART goals.
  • gaylebodine
    Lill, my weight is always bouncing all over the place and I've seen that these things (it could be different for others) really influence my morning scale.
    1. what time I weight (later in the morning, before breakfast is best)
    2. how much salt was in my food the day before
    3. how large even a large healthy meal was the day before
    4. if I got my prunes and activia in
    5. if I drank all my water
    6. how much moving around I did the previous day
  • gaylebodine
    Cheryl, those sound like great goals!
  • drags59
    drags59 Posts: 85 Member
    You don't want to stress your kidneys

If I suddenly started drinking that much my kidneys would think I was trying to drown them!
  • gmabethof3
    gmabethof3 Posts: 267 Member
    Grandmother Charlie, leaving a bite on the plate sounds good. I am going to start and see how it goes...Thanks for the tip.
  • MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    I haven't really dropped off the edge of the earth! I can't recall the last time I've juggled 9 client/projects and I'm feeling swamped. Where were they Jan-March when I was wondering what to do next??

Today I posted my success story. You can find it under "The turtle has crossed the finish line!!". I remember the article about going a bit under goal weight to allow for your body to bounce back up with glycogen and water, so I'm ok with weighing 128.4 this morning. My target range is 130-132.

I'm logging in at least breakfast everyday, but not closing out, just to keep my streak going, though it is wrong number. Today is actually 600 days for me!

Now three weeks into maintenance I find that I am still weighting everything - even though I am surprised that I suddenly don't want to log it anymore. I find that really odd.

I'm doing at least 60 min. of activity everyday, I write that in my organizer. I weigh myself every morning because I don't want any surprises - 132 is my warning weight.

What I find most fun is getting dressed in the morning - I love choosing from my new clothes :)
  • drags59
    drags59 Posts: 85 Member
    What I find most fun is getting dressed in the morning - I love choosing from my new clothes

Another 10 pounds and I will be having that issue as well, thankfully I didn't toss the old ones when I began the journey to a higher weight!
  • Cclill
    Welcome Beth!
    I am new here too. I filled out my profile but didnt introduce myself here, and you've reminded me to.
    Ack! I just went to my profile to copy and paste but nothing is there!
    Apparently i forgot to save it.
    Dont have time to recreate it now.
    Will just say thanks for those tips weighing tips Gayle!
    This morning i ihad time to try your morning trick,
    obsessively weighing myself, and not have breakfast or water for hours,
    while watching my weight slowly go down
    Kinda surreal.
    Stopped when it finally went below 193, my weight last week.
    So my official weight this week is 192.6.

• gaylebodine
    edited July 2015
    Congratulations Pam! Great that you, turtle or not, won your personal race! I know it doesn't stop with reaching goal weight, but is lifelong, finally really got that. 600 days is really inspiring! I think you are right that you ritual of weighing, then logging in and recording breakfast sounds like just the thing for maintenance. I am eager to see how it goes.
  • gaylebodine
    Happy 4th! Actually Lill, I don't weigh myself after 10:00. And now I've mostly stopped weighing myself at 6:00 am, the time I have to get up to get my son to work on time 3X a week. The 6:00 is 1 or 2 or more pounds heavier than I would be at 9:00 or 10:00. It is surreal. And not encouraging. I would like my schedule for meals and weighing to be more consistent, but will have to wait until my son gets his driver's license. Hopefully not too much longer.
  • gaylebodine
    Had enough calories for a red/white/blue dessert: 1/2 cup vanilla lactose free ice cream, 1 cup of fresh strawberries and a 1/2 cup of blueberries.
  • MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    Gayle, we also had a red/white/blue theme. It was watermelon, korean melon & blueberries fruit salad - and since it is raining we made Greek meatballs over brown rice, spinach and garlicky yogurt.