Exercise and Weight Loss Challenges

Replies

• Cclill
    Cclill Posts: 191 Member
    Food discoveries so far that help me cope (i dont cook, always go out for a cheap lunch, and am a sugar addict back on the wagon for the 100th time)
    1 Baja Fresh grilled chicken soft taco with 3oz guacomole on the side. The fat makes me feel fulll.
    2. 85% dark chocolate bar. Just one piece fixes emergency chocolate craving and doesn't trigger my sugar addiction.
    3. When out for dinner, immediately put 1/2 in a to go box to eat later.
    4. No-sugar-added fudgesicle, 40 calories. In the freezer case with the popsicles.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,356 Member
    I find I use Quick Add most often when I am eating out and the calorie count has changed. (You will find that when restaurants update their nutrition charts, sometimes the calorie numbers change for the same menu item -- they go up or down.) To save time entering all the new info on MFP, I just add or subtract the difference from the MFP listings. I keep a bunch of restaurant nutrition pdf's on my smartphone so when I'm out I can quickly see what the calorie counts are for the most popular restaurants. I update them quite often though as menus and nutrition calculations do change.
  • grandmothercharlie
    Challenge Goal: 140 by July 3rd
    4/3/15: 152
    4/10/15: 151
    4/17/15 150
    4/24/15: 149
    5/1/15: 150
    5/8/15: 150
    5/15/15: 145.5
    5/22/15: 146
    5/29/15: 146
    6/5/15: 145
    6/12/15: Vacation
    6/19/15: 150
    6/26/15: 144

Hit a new low at the beginning of the week of 143.5, but yesterday 144! As you can see, as I always do, I will fluctuate a huge amount and then "Whoosh!" Lose all I had gained and then some! This was a whoosh week.

Yesterday was an absolutely crazy day and I never got to eat after a small early breakfast until 7 p.m. last night and was out with friends and was absolutely starving! I didn't weigh this a.m. and know I am up if only from sheer bulk. Oh well, I'll lose it if I gained. I don't let a day here or there get me down.

I won't be making 140 through as was my goal.

Otherwise I did good on my other goals. Rowing machine. Tai Chi. Etc. Had a good week, but very busy.

I do have to work tomorrow, so I will only have one day off this week. That sucks, but hey, it is better than not having a job! Had a big last minute move given to me to plan on Wednesday. A got movers on board on Thursday and we started yesterday. But needed two days and they were tied up today, so I'm stuck with Sunday! I don't have to start as early as a regular work day though. I might get an extra hour in bed.

Life at work may be a little more stressful starting today, but in a much better way for the next couple of months! I am finally losing two of my staff of three and, believe it or not, even though I will have to juggle how I get projects done until we can hire replacements which takes 60-90 days, I will be so happy to have their lazy butts go! I was given this group a couple of years ago to analyze their work practices and productivity and make the necessary changes and they have been nothing but P.I.T.A.s since. Now if the 3rd one would just retire... Word of advice: Never take on a new group to implement big changes if you are a woman and they are all ex-military males and have been in their jobs for years, especially when the changes will make them actually have to WORK! The two are leaving because even their union told them to either give up or shut up! That their complaints and grievances were frivolous and unfounded.

This is why I am always saying that stress management had become even more important to me this year than weight loss.

• gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,689 Member
    Lill, great job! You are going to scare everyone though if you don't include the 100. ;)
  • drags59
    drags59 Posts: 85 Member
    What kind of work are you in Charlie? I'm with you though on the folks that go to work to do everything but. I work in a call center and am somewhat hearing impaired, hearing aid in one ear, blah, blah, blah. Up until this last year, I mostly sat by myself and was perfectly happy with that, but then they rearranged the desks and even though I didn't move...suddenly the most popular person is sitting in my row. Can you guess where this is going? I do not care anything at all about her life, plans, last Friday night, her mother, and on and on...nor do I care about any of the things that others visiting in her cubicle talk about and wish more than anything that they would just do their job and SHUT THE HELL UP.

But sounds like your job coupled with that evil word "woman" creates a dichotomy in the work place. I would be hard put not to hire a hit man in those circumstances.
  • drags59
    You are going to scare everyone though if you don't include the 100. ;)

Yeah I wondered about that, couldn't figure out if that was how much you had lost or something else.

• Cclill
    HA! Forgetting the 100 might have been a weird denial, or just my usual my "number dyslexia.". I weigh 193.
  • gaylebodine
    Cclill wrote: »
    HA! Forgetting the 100 might have been a weird denial, or just my usual my "number dyslexia.". I weigh 193.

I remember mfp freaking out because, when I was still over 200 pounds, I put in a weight of something like 110 instead of 210. Big red letters: you are losing weight too quickly! Blah, blah, blah. Took me a minute to realize that I had screwed up my first digit.
  • gaylebodine
    Charlie, I am so glad that at least you got rid of 2 of the 3 and that even the union was in your corner. X military guys (I have a lot of them as students) can be real go getters, but sound like you got some who expected easy duty.
  • gaylebodine
    Charlie, you are doing so well with your exercise and weight loss and your goals in general! You remain a wonderful inspiration!
  • gaylebodine
    Lill, it's so great to have you here! :)
  • Cclill
    Thanks to guacamole fat, and no snacks for sale where i worked all day, i wasnt hungry all day! To complete my food diary i had to quick add 900 fake calories! Think i will now have a few real ones before i go to sleep.
    Gayle its so great to be here!
  • gaylebodine
    edited June 2015
    Lill, do recommend that you keep your calories up in general (don't go below 1000 -1200 for more than two days a week) so your body will maintain its metabolism level. If you calories are low consistently it will make it harder to lose because you body will lower your metabolism in response to an apparent shortage of food. I'm not a doctor, of course. This is just what I understand. I'll have to dig out a book I have, somewhere, called "Outsmarting the Female Fat Cell" to confirm. Lill, I love your tip about using good fat to reduce hunger.
  • gaylebodine
    Bought one of those microwave potato chip makers and made some homemade chips today. Pretty good but have to experiment with seasonings. I want to try with carrots, beets, sweet potatoes. I think they might be better baked. The microwave chip maker came with a mandoline slicer (have to learn how to not slice my thumbs) that I can utilize for my experiments.
  • drags59
    So I've been thinking that I don't need to take as much food with me to work as I usually do, I took an entrée, yogurt, water and the Isopure. By 3pm, I was starving, so I wander over to 7-11 with brownies in mind and then after reading the label settle on the peanuts. May have to rethink what I take to work, maybe it is that I need more protein when I am working as the brain matter uses it faster. But an 8 hours day at home I don't eat all that much, or at least I don't think I do.
  • gaylebodine
    Cheryl, I've been impressed by all the new fancy storage items there are for taking food to work. Plus there are a ton of 100 calorie pack items to buy (almonds, cookies and other snacks) to have to avoid the 7-11. I really like the fiber one brownies (90 calories) as well. You may need to walk to the 7-11 just to get out and move, but just buy water there, I think.
  • grandmothercharlie
    I am the Sustainability/Move Coordinator and for my County's facilities. I had a huge move this weekend. Started Friday. Had other moves on Saturday. Then back to the first move on Sunday. That ended up being a 12 hour day. Yesterday I did nothing on my only day off this week. Anyway, I ate awful all weekend as I had to grab food on the run a lot and didn't workout although I got in a lot of steps.

Back to the grind this morning. Have a temp until we can hire two new guys. Already better!

I am lucky to have room in my office for my own microwave, refrigerator and cabinet where I keep a pantry. I have become quite adept at having good meals. I am going to add what I made today for lunch to recipes. Was yummy at 305 calories.
  • gaylebodine
    Charlie, So glad to hear that the moves are going better without the complainers! Bet you aren't up much, if at all because you were so busy. Hope you get final say about who you hire.
  • maryschwartzroby
    maryschwartzroby Posts: 161 Member
    I'm back,again.I've had my 3 grandchildren staying with me for a few days and they've decided they were ready to go home.Tomorrow I need to clean and straighten up,get things back to normal.
    Ladies ,great job on the weight losses!!
    When the next challenge starts I'm going to start on my current weight and go from there instead of going back to my original.I'm up to 172 from my low of 154.Sad but true.So whatever I weigh Friday will be my starting weight.i exercised today,first time in a couple of weeks,5 miles using an exercise tape.I got so off track and feel bad.
    No more excuses.
  • drags59
    Plus there are a ton of 100 calorie pack items to buy (almonds, cookies and other snacks)

Yes, but purchasing things already parceled out into 100 calorie packets can be expensive. If I am going to do that, it is cheaper to buy bulk and do the parceling out myself. What I am trying to do is only take enough to work to keep myself from being hungry. I may have willpower and determination, but that is only because I don't have say a bag of caramel corn rice crisps in front of me. When I have a bag of something and I am my own captive audience because I am chained to the phone/desk...then the willpower goes out the window. My lunch box is mostly packed with protein, but too much can be a bad thing as well. Now the one thing I always have is water, I carry that with me all the time. So still fine tuning my lunch box.