Exercise and Weight Loss Challenges

Replies

• drags59
    drags59 Posts: 85 Member
    So I've been here what a week now? Last night or the wee hours of the morning if you prefer, was the first time that I got to listen to the inner voice say, "Who's gonna know? Eat what you want." I wanted something sweet. Thankfully I don't buy sweet stuff. Then today at the grocery store, I heard it tell me I can have the Hostess mini crumb donuts. Number one, Don't buy the stuff you shouldn't eat in the first place and number two, having no short term memory means you remember the donuts on the way home. I did not CAVE....
  • maryschwartzroby
    maryschwartzroby Posts: 161 Member
    Welcome Pam and Cheryl.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,356 Member
    Good for you Cheryl.

Mary, I went ut days this last time before I saw a loss. It will come.

There was a great segment on this week's The Splendid Table on public radio. You can find it at splendidtable.org. This week's episode was "On the Lambic", but if you look further down the page click on "5 things you can do at home to avoid overeating." You can listen or read the transcript. Some you heard before but it really goes into the science behind it. Others were new to me.

Finally, I went for a device check today. I have a CRT-D implant. They had to make an adjustment. First time ever since I got it. I dont know if heart was acting better or worse, but she did say is could be a result of all my exercise. So that sounds good, right? Anyway, she got it synching properly again and I felt better during my workout. Might be in my head, but I didnt feel any of the muscle weakness or shortness of breath I've been having recently. Print out also showed water retention for quite some time so maybe this will help with that, too.
  • grandmothercharlie
    Mary: I meant to write "75" days, not ut!
  • grandmothercharlie
    A day just for us! Today is National Senior Health and Fitness Day! What will your fitness and health activities include today?

Me: I will take a fitness walk for at least 30 minutes. I will ride the stationary bike for at least 30 minutes. I will stretch and do my dumbbells! I will stay close to 1200 calories!
  • maryschwartzroby
    Monday I exercised for 70 mins,Tues I push mowed my yard gor 90+mins. and today I exercised for 72 mins.I'm drinking my allotment of water and using MFP again.I'm doing everyting I can to get back on track.I have to quit complaining about my weight gains when i'm the reason I have them.Monday I weighed in at 169 which was 15 lbs .from my lowest at 154.I'm really out of control on this eating healthy.I had gained 4 lbs since my weigh in Friday.I'm only human and have my faults.I pray for strength that I can control my food and not let it control me.Eat to live not live to eat.
    Thank you everyone for your support.I can't do this by myself and I need to visit this group more often.
    i hope everyone is having a good day.Be strong.
  • gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,689 Member
    Cheryl, Mary, Charlie, such great attitudes, such great strides! One day at a time is what I say! I will check out that article "5 things you can do at home to avoid overeating."
  • drags59
    Dang Mary, I need your exercise mentality....that's fantastic! Every time I think about taking the critters for a walk, the sky gets dark and it starts raining. Course if I woke up earlier, it would help... One more day and I have to go back to work; then I will be walking more as I have to go move the truck or get a parking ticket
  • drags59
    And my BP was 108 over 75 and that is for all the doctors that make assumptions!
  • maryschwartzroby
    Cheryl,I have a very bad mentality about exercising and my eating habits.If I exercise I do pretty well about eating healthy.If I don't exercise I don't eat healthy.They have to go hand in hand.Both going on at the same time.It's crazy.I have Leslie Sansome walk at home tapes I use when I can't go out to walk.A 4 and5 mile tape.They are great workout tapes.
    Quote from MyFitnessPal this morning,"Nothing will work unless you do".
  • maryschwartzroby
    I mowed again today for 45 mins.but ended up eating over my calories.52 calories over.I may have to exercise some more to cover that.I hope everyone is ready for the weigh in tomorrow,come what may.
  • MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    I wore a pedometer today since I won't be seeing my treadmill for a week. After packing and moving stuff for over 6 hours it says only 4200 steps. I really thought it would be much higher. I guess leaning and shuffling around doesn't impress it! But I feel I had a great workout. Plus, tonight I had a chicken panini and I asked the waitress to substitute a salad (a bit of dressing on the side) for the french fries and then packed up half the sandwich for lunch tomorrow. Now it's time to relax with a kdrama, milk and cookies before bed :)
  • grandmothercharlie
    Mary. You have done some great workouts lately. It seems that if the working out controls the eating correctly, maybe rather than making your goal weight loss your goal should be to workout so many days a week. Then you will automatically eat better without worrying about the scale. Start at two or three and work up from there.
  • grandmothercharlie
    Pam, hope you are enjoying the change of pace and scenery.
  • maryschwartzroby

Challenge Goal: 157.6
    April 3rd-157.5
    April 10th-164.5
    April 17th-161.5
    April 24th-166
    May 2nd-164.0
    May 8th-164.0
    May 15th-165.0
    May22-165.5
    May 29th-164.0
  • maryschwartzroby
    FINALLY had a loss,been awhile.Monday I weighed in at 169 so I must have had some fluid issues.Made me determined to not see 170.I know I need to keep up on exercising and logging on my food intake.Also checking in on this wonderful group of ladies for wisdom and understanding.Thanks for the encouragement.
  • grandmothercharlie
    Challenge Goal: 140 by July 3rd
    4/3/15: 152
    4/10/15: 151
    4/17/15 150
    4/24/15: 149
    5/1/15: 150
    5/8/15: 150
    5/15/15: 145.5
    5/22/15: 146
    5/29/15: 146

Continue to use the rowing machine most days. 0x :(
    Continue Tai Chi twice a week. - 5X in past 7 days. One class, one demonstration, and three practices.
    Try to get more sleep. Not done.
    Start back up on outdoor walking -- weather permitting. - Did 4X in past 7 days.
    Continue meditation - Learned a great new meditation. 3X in past 7 days.
    Try, try, try to at least do strength/resistance training once in a while. 1x strength training with dumbbells.

I sure would like to see a new low of 145, at least, for next weigh-in. I leave for vacation next Saturday, so it will be harder to keep to 1200 calories.

@maryschwartzroby Look at you. 1.5 pounds since last week! Great job!
  • gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,689 Member
    Mary, love that quote! "Nothing will work unless you do". I'm going to do my weekly weigh-in tomorrow cause I would like to record better than I saw today. You guys are working so hard and doing so great! I think I've been just working to maintain the last few weeks. You are all so inspiring!
  • drags59
    @SageCharlie, Wish I had thought of your advice to give Mary, makes a lot more sense.
    @ Mary, Don't concentrate on the details of your goal, look at the big picture. If you screw up a couple of days here and there, and still meet you weight goal, does it really matter how you got there? Which is something math teachers need to learn as well!
  • drags59
    So... Today was definitely not a good day. Lots of emotional turmoil as Mom is dealing with being old, my sisters are "trying to help" financially and Mom just lost all her independence including buying her own groceries. Far as I am concerned, they are teetering on elder abuse! I haven't spoken to one sister since Feb as I am tired of being judged and invalidated and then that same sister, didn't want me involved in the meeting with the counselor that Mom requested. Told her this is about Mom, not her and I. So when I got home last night, I had visions of food dancing before my eyes which I didn't eat. But this morning was a different story and I knew full well what I was doing and gave myself permission to do it as well. So not hanging my head in shame, it is what it is and tomorrow is a new day. And I took the dogs for a long *kitten* walk to sorta make up for it.