7/11/15: 175.1
    7/18/15: 174.4
    7/24/15: 175.5
    7/31/15: 175.0
    8/08/15: 174.4
    8/14/15: 173.5
    8/21/15: 173.1
    8/28/15: 172.9

Just one more weigh in (on the 4th) for this challenge. Be thinking about your wins and losses and what you want to challenge yourself with in the next challenge. This next challenge is the last challenge before the holiday season challenge begins. Hope that wasn't too confusing. Sick today so my energy is not great but hope to feel back to normal on Monday.
  • gmabethof3
    gmabethof3 Posts: 267 Member
    Gayle, hope that you feel better soon!

Marney and Charlie, I too do not like eating breakfast, but starting a diet I was told that breakfast was one of the important meals. A cup a tea or protein shake is enough. I too would rather my first meal of the day be lunch. I's nice to know that I am not the only one.
  • gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,689 Member
    edited August 2015
    Marney and Charlie, great to hear your body is happy/regular. I hate being out of balance and feeling colon congested! I do think that the 5/2 is probably my maintenance plan. Since my energy was so bad (the spleen stuff) then I did not have the energy to get motivated for the 6/1 I was doing. Now that I've stopped eating cold foods (especially my icy morning smoothie and tons of iced tea) my energy is amazingly better. Eating more grains than I like to, in general, but I will find my happy stop at some point. Beth, good job with your consistent loss!

Our last weigh-in for the current challenge is next Friday (or Saturday), September 4th.
    Yes, the next challenge is from Sept. 4th to November 6th. Then the Nov/Dec challenge takes us to the New Year! We start the challenge after the November one on January 8th.
  • gaylebodine
    They tell me that the "spleen" (non-Asian version adrenal/pancreas) is most active in the am and spleen likes to be warmed. They tell me breakfast is the most important meal. But I've also done other diets that insist that breakfast is the meal to skip (makes you overnight fast longer). If anything, I've learned that we are all different. Know if I try to exercise or think straight without breakfast I get hypoglycemic. Charlie, help me, I'm having trouble translating 16/8.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,356 Member
    Wow look at those losses, Beth, Marney & Gayle! Great jobs!

Beth: You are going to have a wonderful trip. Drink some wine for me, please!
    Marney: You are really getting this right this time! Good for you!
    Gayle: How are you feeling?

Gayle: 16:8 is fast for 16 hours, eat all your food within an 8 hour window. Pretty much for me it is Noon to 8 p.m. Or sometimes even shorter than that. I eat lunch around noon or 1 p.m. Have a snack about 3 and then eat dinner by 7-7:30 p.m. so I'm done by 8. You eat the same amount if you want, but I find that I can eat a bigger lunch and dinner and I only want a small snack bar or something light around 4 p.m.

To avoid all the people who think that is awful, I list the snack bar as breakfast and then lunch as lunch and dinner as dinner with maybe one of my sides or a snack as a snack. I have coffee, tea or water all plain until lunch. I really don't notice it as I have always had to pretty much force the breakfast.

You are right though. We are all different. Low blood sugar is not a problem for me unless I carb too much. We have to find what works for us. In my case, I spent 50 years of my life thin and 33 (quit when I was a teen) of those not eating breakfast. I was able to lose weight here even with eating breakfast, but I think that for me, as my weight gets lower and it becomes more difficult to lose, I'm better off not. As far as breakfast foods, I can still have them for lunch or dinner if I want.

Had a great lunch at a local Japanese restaurant (not a steakhouse). Got a bento box for lunch. Squid (both fried and squid salad), tofu, tuna, seaweed salad, spring mixed salad, miso soup and sushi roll! Yum. I figure that as about 557 calories, but missed my lunchtime walk as a result. My best buddy who is 1/2 Japanese and used to work here left a few years ago to go work at the University. He and I get together occasionally and always go to the same restaurant because his American wife, kids, etc. don't like Japanese food! I'm his only friend who likes it and yet none of my friends do either!

Again, great work ladies.
  • MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    My DH looked at me the other day and said 'you need a vacation' - true, but when you're self employed like both of us are, sometimes everything comes at once. I've been juggling a lot this summer and a few are almost complete. I'm sure the activity has been keeping me on track weight-wise:) This is his busy time too - he repairs musical instruments and the schools get all the band stuff done in July-early Sept. So, in October we'll plan a break.

I think my solution to staying "regular" seems to be, being inspired by my dogs. I walk with them in the backyard in the morning. I have to promptly do pick-up duty since my beagle loves Soleil's poo (Hachi's gets ignored for some reason). Then I do my morning weigh in.

So, 107 days I've been maintaining between 129.0 and 131.8. BORING IS GOOD!

I like breakfast food - but it can be eaten at anytime. I'm going to put the recipe link to my recent favorite breakfast Bengali Breakfast Grains.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Dogs!!! I used to call it "dirty dog tricks". Yech.

All good losses this week and yes, boring is good when you are maintaining!

I am still trying to get salt out of my system and diet since my BP did not like it at all. I made a mistake at lunch though. And I have increased carbs to increase potassium. Still experimenting but it seems to be working for me. Thanks Charlie for the encouragement. I am alot less hungry with fewer carbs.

Good job everyone. One more week!
  • Cclill
    Cclill Posts: 191 Member
    Interesting discussion about breakfast, guys. Odd it is so idividual when we are same species. When i went off to college i never made it to breakfast (being a night owl) and never noticed the lack. When i joined the working world i tried eating breakfast - it was said to get the metabolism going -but then got hungry by 11am so what was the point of breakfast except extra calories, so quit again. Took me years to realize it was the breakfast carbs that caused the hunger. Thats when i stopped having carbs for breakfast. And Oddly, just one egg fills me up. Like Gayle's brain, my brain works better when fed.
  • grandmothercharlie
    Lill and Gayle: You are assuming that I have a working brain to begin with. Thanks for the assumption, but not always sure it is correct! :D

Pam: You are the proof that all the people who always say that they want to be their own bosses don't realize that you then have to work so much harder. Hope you get a break soon. Maybe in time for the fall colors? So proud of the way you are maintaining.

Marney: I admit, I'm a saltaholic. Will always be. Hope you are better at the cutting it down than I could ever hope to be.

Okay, so I said I was on a steady path right now. Wrong again. I had a whoosh. Saw my 143 this a.m. First time in a while. Can 142.5 be around the corner? Fingers crossed!
  • dasher602014
    Charlie! Great news for you! Fingers and toes crossed for you.

I went the other way this morning.1.5 lbs up! Might have been the boneless chicken wings I had for lunch. Doh! Salt anyone? felt dreadful last night. So.... no stepping off plan for awhile.
  • Cclill
    Gayle congrats on your continuing downward direction from the plateau!
    Charlie congrats on the surprise whoosh!
    Report:
    Goal lose one pound a week.
    8/22, 190.4
    8/29, 189.4
    That is only loss of water weight.
    My low last week was 188, but this week never saw 188 again.
    I still claim 188 as my real weight.
    This is the first week, not including travel week, that i cant report real loss.
    Only difference i can think of is i wasnt keeping good track of my water intake.
    So being very vigilant again.
    Water ho!
  • gaylebodine
    Man, can't believe it has taken me a really long time to realize that I can put a lid on my water cup to keep cat heads out of it (they like the filtered water better too). But really, thanks Lill, don't think I can take credit for a working brain. Course I only found the lid to that cup when I cleaned out the silverware (stainless steel) drawer a couple of days ago. Anyway, I'm only mentioning this because my cats were reducing my water consumption. I would draw myself a cup of water (half heated water, half from the filter fridge tap to keep it on the warm side) then I would catch my cats with their heads in my cup and I wouldn't drink that water.

Speaking of dogs, they are all the same "species" and look how diverse they are! Now men and women, they are two separate species, right?
  • dasher602014
    I think we now have an example of why "cats rule and dogs drool". Cats prefer the filtered water and dogs eat _______! Glad you found your lid Gayle. And glad to hear from you. Hope you are feeling better.

I am down again today, so the seesaw continues. I have up my carb level to increase potassium but I think I may be about to manage BP within the content of Atkins. Just have to avoid the bacon, ham and tinned meats/fish. Bought some regular fish and meat and have cooked it up and put it in pieces in freezer. And Peter, my cook, now takes my aversion to tamarind sauces and the like, as a real need, not just a complaint. So, on a steady course ahead. Boy, I wish for the days when I could eat anything!
  • gmabethof3
    Charlie Fingers crossed!!!!!!!
  • Cclill
    Just learned this great news
    A kids size gelato is only 118 calories!
    Its great news cuz the gelato place here doesnt offer sugarless, and i wanted to join my friends.
  • gmabethof3
    Cclill wrote: »
    Just learned this great news
    A kids size gelato is only 118 calories!
    Its great news cuz the gelato place here doesnt offer sugarless, and i wanted to join my friends.

Thanks for the tip Lill, I love gelato but have been staying away because of the cals! ;)
  • gaylebodine
    We don't have a gelato place near by but we love Coldstone. If I get a "like-it" sized skinny vanilla with a strawberry mix-in it is 250 calories.
  • gaylebodine
    Yes, cats rule but don't want them drooling in my water! ;)
    Are you guys gearing up for the final week of our challenge?
  • grandmothercharlie
    Broke my low! Hit 142 today. If I see it, that is my new weight! 12 more to go to goal. Don't think I will make it this year, but hope!
  • gaylebodine
    Broke my low! Hit 142 today. If I see it, that is my new weight! 12 more to go to goal. Don't think I will make it this year, but hope!

Good for you Charlie! The 16/8 is working!