Exercise and Weight Loss Challenges

Replies

• dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Sept 4: 168.5

Right behind you Marney!

Not behind, beside! But I am nowhere near my goal weight, yet! Good for you! Race you!
  • gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,689 Member
    Sept 4: 168.5

Right behind you Marney!

Not behind, beside! But I am nowhere near my goal weight, yet! Good for you! Race you!

Yes, I will race beside you, even though our finish line might be in different places!
  • gaylebodine
    Charlie, thanks so much for your great acknowledgement of us all! I did write to Cheryl and invited her to start the new challenge, and she might at some point. Guess she was feeling that she was putting too much pressure on herself and needed to take a break.
  • Cclill
    Cclill Posts: 191 Member
    Weight: 190
    Have not seen 188 again since first time, aug 20!
    Jeans: not looser after all; different pair!
    My goal Going into this next challenge is to not get plateau depression.
    I have a very low threshhold for plateau.
    This Cant be real plateau after only five pound loss, in two months, right?
    Im not hungry enough to eat 1200 cals a day, but my body cant think im starving when im 60 lbs too heavy, right?
    Last week thought problem was water, so i have made sure got enough water, to no effect.
    Got more exercise, to no effect.
    Now hope problem is pesky muscle weight.
    But Can pilates isometrics create 2 lbs of muscle all of a sudden?
    I hold out hope that i will have a Charlie whoosh.
  • Cclill
    Goal: 169
    7/03/15: 174.3
    7/11/15: 175.1
    7/18/15: 174.4
    7/24/15: 175.5
    7/31/15: 175.0
    8/08/15: 174.4
    8/14/15: 173.5
    8/21/15: 173.1
    8/28/15: 172.9
    9/04/15: 169.5

My big goal for this challenge was to get under 170 pounds. And I did it! :) In my mind the 170's are the last weight decade where I really feel "fat". For some reason(s) I had been stuck in the 170's for months and months. I did my half calorie day yesterday so might have a bounce up tomorrow but today I am really embracing this big breakthrough!!!

My initial goals for the September 4 - November 6th challenge is to get to 165. That was the initial weight goal I established on mfp. I'll add more goals as I get my stride this challenge.

Congratulations making your goal!!!!!
  • Cclill
    Food journal made me notice i don't eat enough vegetables ( understatement)
    Bought bag of raw veggies and am eating them throughout the day.
    Feeling virtuous.
  • MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    Lill: Im not hungry enough to eat 1200 cals a day, but my body cant think im starving when im 60 lbs too heavy, right?
    Charlie, weigh in here too (pun!) with you thoughts... but I disagree. You should eat more. You may have an extra 60 lbs but you are slowing your metabolism down by eating less than 1200 cal. I never went to sleep without 1200 minimum. Grab some string cheese or nuts- protein and fats.

Pilates is great for flexibility, but make sure you have an extra activity every day (clean out a closet... really scrub a bathroom - a workout with rewards!)

I am reviewing my MFP weight chart that I printed out periodically and annotated. After my first three months on MFP I just logged my new lows. It made for a more encouraging line :smile: And I see many plateaus followed by drops. That's just the way it happens.
  • gaylebodine
    Pam, I agree! The 1200 calories is already a diet number. You can eat more calories if you exercise. I noticed when I was on weight watches a few moons ago that I lost weight best when I ate all the points plus the bonus points each day. Our bodies are designed for us to survive food scarcity. Continued extreme calorie shortage will cause the metabolism to drop to assure survival. I like a weekly "half the calorie" day, I think that works. I really like what Charlie is doing with the 16/8 diet too. She is eating all 1200 calories just skipping breakfast to extend her overnight fast.

Good to make note of scale around the same time each day. Record the lows in the "check-in" feature (or an excel spread sheet or whatever). One may be able to understand a bump up as water weight, salt, etc. but that is still your REAL weight for the day. Lill, did you ever follow the Cathy cartoon? You remind me of her (I remind me of her too). http://www.gocomics.com/cathy/2015/04/01
  • gmabethof3
    gmabethof3 Posts: 267 Member
    edited September 2015
    Hi Ladies, back from VA.. tried to stay good, but did overdue it a few times. Back to reality......Sorry I am so behind on everyone's update's...I see everyone did well on the last challenge, and Happy to see that everyone is geared up for this new challenge. I did post my weight before I left, and will be weighing again Friday. It's so good to be back, and get back on the diet and exercise. Here's to a great new challenge!!!! Good Luck Ladies!!!
  • gaylebodine
    gmabethof3 wrote: »
    Hi Ladies, back from VA.. tried to stay good, but did overdue it a few times. Back to reality......Sorry I am so behind on everyone's update's...I see everyone did well on the last challenge, and Happy to see that everyone is geared up for this new challenge. I did post my weight before I left, and will be weighing again Friday. It's so good to be back, and get back on the diet and exercise. Here's to a great new challenge!!!! Good Luck Ladies!!!

Welcome back Beth!
  • Cclill
    Thanks for clarifying advice Pam and Gayle! Will follow it!
    Just so weird that my metabolism slowed after only two months! Maybe its my age?
    I stumbled upon an mfp list of fat burning/ metabolism revving foods today, that i will eat to add the calories.
    Some of them i already eat - avocado, plain greek yogurt, blueberries, salmon (when paul cooks it) - and i will eat more.
    Some i will start eating - chia seeds, flax, kale, ginger (whats a good way to eat ginger?)
    The rest i cant fit into my lifestyle - oysters, coconut oil, garlic.
    Thanks again guys!
    And welcome back Beth!
  • Cclill
    Pam, forgot to say that i walk uphill as my extra activity -- immediately gets me aerobic, and i get to watch "Alfred hitchcock presents"on youtube at the same time. :-)
  • Cclill
    Just had dinner and only up to 871 cals.
    Tho not hungry, will follow advice and eat more.
    The suspense! :-)

• Cclill
    Wouldn't you know, after i ate yogurt i remembered i had my weekly cookie at panera, so end day with 1400 cals! Luckily i walked uphill already today, so don't have to in middle of night.
  • gmabethof3
    gmabethof3 Posts: 267 Member
    Thanks Gayle, good to be back and get back on my diet. :)
  • gaylebodine
    Thinking more about my goals for behaviors during this new challenge.
    • Drink water (room temp) throughout the day
    • avoid cold or icy food
    • Eat protein focused breakfast
    • finish eating by 8:00 pm (except for snack before bed)
    • prepare morning snack in advance (muffin tops) and freeze
    • prepare protein items (turkey and chicken breast, hard boiled eggs) in advance
    • Have Green Giant vegi medleys available to add to protein for quick satisfying meal
    • Have a cup of tea instead of food when peckish
    • Move my body
    • Get a weekly exercise routine established
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Hi Ladies,

The weekend got away with me. We had guests and won't you know..... they brought chips, scoops, bread, dips, and jube jubes! We both tried, we really did but .... we failed. Back on the wagon tomorrow. I sent all the extra bread, scoops, chips, melon and jube jubes home with them (they have a teen at home),

I agree with the others 1200 is a minimum and your body needs that much. Give it a try and see how it goes. I think you will be surprised.

Good list gayle, very practical and do-able. Gets me thinking.

Welcome back Beth! Feels good to be back in control, at least for me.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,356 Member
    I hope everyone had a great holiday.

I hit 600 days on MFP today. But, what's the alternative?
  • gaylebodine
    I hope everyone had a great holiday.

I hit 600 days on MFP today. But, what's the alternative?

Charlie, that is very, very impressive. The alternative, for many, is to give up after 10 days. 600 days is pretty darn amazing! Tomorrow is my 365.
  • Cclill
    600 and 365 days are very impressive!
    I will never get close - not because i wont stay on the program - but because every once in awhile i forget to check in before its too late.
    Mfp descriminates against night owls!