What are you reading currently?

Options

Replies

• DianeG213
    Options
    Just finished Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close -
    and saw the movie. The book was very good, the movie was OK, but did not really follow the book, and it was one of those super quiet movies at most times and I had to make sure not to make alot of noise crackling my popcorn bag. The lady behind us bawled through the whole thing, so I timed by bites to her sobs.
    So my recommendation - read the book.
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    just started the girl who kicked the hornet's nest.
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    One Fine Day in the Middle of the Night - Christopher Brookmyre
  • Trutra
    Trutra Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm reading _The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency_ series by Alexander McCall Smith. I'm on the 10th book. It's entertaining, light reading.

I have read the first one and loved it. It is my daughters set book at school at the moment, so may read it again and then go on with the rest of the series.

I am reading Hyddenworld by William Horwood
  • cafel3
    cafel3 Posts: 89
    Options
    Update: I finished _The Unbearable Lightness of Scones_ by Alexander McCall Smith yesterday and began _Thinking in Pictures_ by Dr. Temple Grandin today.
  • mld2003
    mld2003 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I just finished The Wizard's First Rule in the Sword of Truth series and am working on the second book
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I just finished The Wizard's First Rule in the Sword of Truth series and am working on the second book

Grew up on that series...loved it 'til book 8. Wizard's First Rule is one of the best, though. :)
  • mld2003
    mld2003 Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Grew up on that series...loved it 'til book 8. Wizard's First Rule is one of the best, though. :)

I enjoyed it, going to have to see with the rest of the series.
  • lc504
    lc504 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I am currently (and finally!) reading Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, and loving every page of it.

If anyone has any similar book recommendations for me to dig into, I'm all ears :wink: (Although I'll probably end up reading all 10+ books in this series first :laugh: )
    I started Uglies by Scott Westerfield yesterday. Not something I would normally choose, but I joined a Goodreads Bookclub and it is one of this months books. Really enjoying it so far...

Love Uglies! I randomly picked it up one day at the book store at least 5 years ago based on the cover, and ended up addicted to the whole series. Scott Westerfeld is possibly my favorite YA writer (sorry, Francesca Lia Block... I know, I know. My adult self has betrayed you).
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    I started Uglies by Scott Westerfield yesterday. Not something I would normally choose, but I joined a Goodreads Bookclub and it is one of this months books. Really enjoying it so far...

Love Uglies! I randomly picked it up one day at the book store at least 5 years ago based on the cover, and ended up addicted to the whole series. Scott Westerfeld is possibly my favorite YA writer (sorry, Francesca Lia Block... I know, I know. My adult self has betrayed you).

I did love it and am planning to read the rest of the series soon.

I just started Hood by Stephen Lawhead (first of the King raven series about Robin Hood). I enjoy his books and love Robin Hood so this should be good too...
  • StephTink76
    StephTink76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I just finished A Storm of Swords last night and started in on A Feast for Crows (books 3 and 4 in the Game of Thrones series). It took me a really long time to get into and finish book 1 but I was determined to read this series lol Book 3 was the best book in the series so far I think, but overall I would recommend reading them.
    I loved the first and second books, but by the third I couldn't handle it anymore. Does Martin really have to kill off all the good characters?

I agree.
  • johnlatv
    johnlatv Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I am reading "Afraid" by Jack Kilborn. It's a horror book, this author is NUTS. His stuff is crazy.
  • psiren28
    Options
    A Faint Cold Fear - Karin Slaughter... Only a couple of chapters in, not awful but the writing is a bit clunky :/
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver. This is the most engrossing, thought-provoking book I have read in quite a while.
  • Serenitytoo
    Serenitytoo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I have been going through a bit of a reading binge LOL I just finished "The Timetraveler's Wife", "The Heart of the Matter" by Emily Griffin and "the Surgeon" by Tess Gerritsen (The books Rizzoli and Isles are based on) I know I have very eclectic tastes!

I just started the second book in the Rizzoli and Isles series "The Apprentice" last night.
  • finchest
    finchest Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'm reading "If you lived here, I'd know your name" by Heather Lende - it's an autobiographical book about a small town called Haines, Alaska. The woman who wrote it writes the society notes / obituaries / local news for her local weekly paper. It's pretty charming in a Garrison Keillor kind of way.
  • psiren28
    Options
    We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver. This is the most engrossing, thought-provoking book I have read in quite a while.

I've seen the film which was brilliant, I must check out the book :)
  • psiren28
    Options
    The Psychopath Test - Jon Ronson
  • cannker
    cannker Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The Death Cure by James Dashner. It's the final book in his Maze Runner Trilogy. I've been finding YA books more entertaining in the last few years (ie Twilight, Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, Hunger Games, and anything by John Green!) My boyfriend thinks I'm weird, but then again, he's not a reader (!)
  • gracieabem
    gracieabem Posts: 211
    Options
    A re-read of Tess of the D'ubervilles, Thomas Hardy. And Control Unleashed by Leslie McDevitt (dog book)

I really want to read the Game of Thrones, so that may be next on the list. Or maybe In Defence of Dogs by John Bradshaw. I haven't quite decided yet.