Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options

Yeah. That squat makes me feel like a weakling. I think it was Sam who said if you did it with your legs really far apart it wasn't as jarring.. I'm not sure if a plie (is that how you spell it?) squat does the same thing, but I know that squat feels all kinds of wrong.

I also did it with wide stance, otherwise I'd get badly bruised knees from my cheapy screw-on-plates type dumbells! And if you can do the move without your upper arm bending as you drop, you are a goddess!
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Good morning,

Hope everyone is having a great day!!

Last night I did stage 2 workout 1B and i LOVED it!! The head trainer walked past me duing the workout and she is like "Wow, Claudette that is some crazy stuff you are doing tonight - love it"

I do have a question though on the deadlift from box - we do not have a low box so I used a step and I found that during the reps I wasn't able to place the weight back ont he floor to squat and pick up again cleanly as the bar is the same width as the step - any suggestions?

Thanks
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Good morning,

Last night I did stage 2 workout 1B and i LOVED it!! The head trainer walked past me duing the workout and she is like "Wow, Claudette that is some crazy stuff you are doing tonight - love it"

I do have a question though on the deadlift from box - we do not have a low box so I used a step and I found that during the reps I wasn't able to place the weight back ont he floor to squat and pick up again cleanly as the bar is the same width as the step - any suggestions?

Thanks

How much weight are you lifting? Unless you've got 45lb plates on each end of the bar, you don't need a step.
  • jnh17
    Options
    So...random thought I have occasionally in the gym - checking out to see if any OTHER women are doing NROL4W. Anyone ever do that? I've yet to find anyone else doing it but I've *almost* though it a couple of times with a couple of ladies doing prone jacknifes and a few other weird lifts that are in the book...
  • cushygal
    Options
    Good morning,

Thanks

How much weight are you lifting? Unless you've got 45lb plates on each end of the bar, you don't need a step.

I am lifting with 35lb on each side, but will certainly move that up tomorrow as it felt a little easy.
  • cushygal
    Options
    So...random thought I have occasionally in the gym - checking out to see if any OTHER women are doing NROL4W. Anyone ever do that? I've yet to find anyone else doing it but I've *almost* though it a couple of times with a couple of ladies doing prone jacknifes and a few other weird lifts that are in the book...

Yes, I am constantly looking and in fact I have turned 2 women onto that program - at this point they are both reading the book and will start the program on Monday.
  • jnh17
    Options
    Good morning,

Thanks

I am lifting with 35lb on each side, but will certainly move that up tomorrow as it felt a little easy.

Since you're having a hard time finding a box that works, instead of using 1 45lb plate, I'd use a 35lb one and a 10lb one so you're still working at the deficit and not needing a box. Graceful I am not and I'm just not comfortable lifting that kind of weight from a box that could flip or more probable -- me losing my balance and taking a nice tumble.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I use the aerobic step for the wide deadlifts. I only have the 25lb plates on there, but it does help you get LOW.

I am nursing my DOMS today. Feels like the first week of the stage ha ha. Don't know if it's from adding weight or from have 5 days off. It's raining here and my plans for the pool are blown out of the water. Have to find something to do today, besides laundry, to keep my very active little boys form destroying the house or themselves.

Decided to head into stage 6 after vacation.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options

I was the only female on the "male's" side of the gym yesterday while the same women I see everyday on the treadmill or elliptical. None of them lift weights with the exception of one young girl (20ish) who I saw weeks ago do a pushup hand stand. . although I haven't seen her since.

I feel awesome lifting weights.

Maybe the ladies saw you doing the prone jackknife and saw how awesome you look :wink: , JNH.
  • samntha14
    Options
    Oh yeah, I'm seeing more and more women in the weight area, though the men are more inclined to chat. I see some doing stage 1 type moves, but because they are basic moves, you really can't tell without asking. I think I will ask next time I see somebody.

Looks like we're going bowling and yes, I will log those 50cals lol. Ugh, the muscles attaching my shoulders to my pectoral muscles is screaming at me.
  • jnh17
    Options

I was the only female on the "male's" side of the gym yesterday while the same women I see everyday on the treadmill or elliptical. None of them lift weights with the exception of one young girl (20ish) who I saw weeks ago do a pushup hand stand. . although I haven't seen her since.

I feel awesome lifting weights.

Maybe the ladies saw you doing the prone jackknife and saw how awesome you look :wink: , JNH.

I work in a very affluent area and since I workout at lunch, my gym is here. First of all, it amazes me at all the people working out in the middle of the day (clearly not working out at lunch)? Plus, a LOT of very wealthy women that don't work. There are a lot of women that are on the "boys" side of the gym with big muscles. Monday, I swear it was ALL girls then yesterday, I was the only one. Weird!

I've seen a few doing the jacknife but the one that stands out was the one doing in in a sports bra with her hair down and fixed. She's giving we lifting women a bad rap! Hahahaha!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,997 Member
    Options
    Clarification, please?? I thought if you had 25 lb plates on the OB, that was sufficient height for deadlifts. Is it truly the 45 lb plates??

There usually are women on the free-weights side of my gym when I go. Two or three, at least. One woman I see always has her trainer with her. I'm not sure if she is an athlete (and this is her off-season), because I didn't see her around until about June - but now she is there consistently. She doesn't use heavy weights....her trainer has her doing a lot of plyometric stuff. Another woman that I consistently see is "trying" to use heavy weights. She must be on some program, but it isn't NROL4W. She's not 30 years old, but she is in good shape and her weights, while not as heavy as mine, are heavy.

The rest of the women who show up are using 10 lb DB, max. I discount them completely. And some women just shadow their boyfriends as they move around the gym. Um, dumb.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    The woman at the gym that I *most* want to look like MUST have a LOT of natural athletic prowess. She's turning 50 and she is solid muscle. She used to be a triathlete, but gave that up about 7-9 years ago, I think. She is a postal carrier, so she gets in lots of stuff there. And, mostly, she runs. On the treadmill.

She does come over to the weight side at least once per week (and it might be more - she sometimes arrives after I've left), but she NEVER does "heavy weights". So, I'm confused as to WHY her body looks soooooooooooo muscular?? (I mean, she's Jillian Michaels tight!) When I see her on the weights side, she does:

- a gazillion V-sits.
    - push-ups (okay, I get the strength piece, here - but it's never weighted push-ups or anything fancy. Just pure on your toes push-ups with 10 reps per set).
    - pull-ups (okay, I get the strength piece here - I cannot do one, and she does 3 sets of 5-6 reps)
    - bench press - she uses only 12.5 DB's for this.
    - DB rows - she uses 10 DB's or 12.5 DB's for this.

So, here she is, with this physique that I admire SO much, and am trying to emulate, and she doesn't do squats, she doesn't do deadlifts, she doesn't do BB bench press. And yet, she LOOKS AMAZING!

I guess it shows: a) having an active career (i.e. carrying mail) helps one with their body fat % remaining very low; and b) lower weight work-outs, with TONS of reps, can give you MUSCLE results.

She looks great - there's a program for everyBODY!
  • joannezuk
    joannezuk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Beeps: I too have wondered about those women. I actually work with one, and finally asked her what her training is like. As it turns out, she was once a competitive athlete, solid muscle and totally ripped. Now, she doesn't work at all to increase her strength or build muscle, but basically works to maintain it. And like the woman at your gym, Theresa only does two workouts a week - all compound moves, but no crazy heavy weights.

I guess once you get to the point where you trim the fat off your body and build so much muscle that your metabolism is raging, it may not be that difficult to maintain. At least that's what I'm hoping for!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I'm sure you are right, joanne. Part of my issue is that I still have WAY too much fat on my body. (The body fat % loss isn't working out the way I had anticipated.) She has NO fat on her body. I'd bet she is in the 16th percentile, or perhaps a bit lower. Now, in her job as a postal carrier, she certainly is getting cardio work, about 4-5 hours worth, on a daily basis. And, she is obviously getting strength work, too. This is NOT something that I can compete with - or work towards. I'm not a postal worker - never will be! So, there's that.

Plus, the fact that she was an elite athlete for about 20 years. She put in her time there, for sure. Triathlon is biking, running AND swimming. So, she's got that going for her, too. Me, I spent the last 20 years doing cardio-bunny stuff. And, an hour a day, tops. So, I cannot change my past.

I'm not sure I can even get to 20% body fat. And, if I can, I'm certainly not trying hard enough on the nutrition front, that's for sure.

I have to decide what I REALLY want. If I REALLY want 20% body fat, I have to eliminate many of my dietary choices. So, that's the question for me: what do I REALLY want??

I think what I REALLY want is what I can accomplish with one hour per day in pursuit of the goal. Time limit is key, for me. And, likely, that might mean sitting right where I'm sitting - and making peace with that.
  • samntha14
    Options
    I'm sitting at about 23-25% bf and I'm still plenty giggly. I wonder if that 3-5% is really going to make that much difference for me. I want to have my cake and eat it too...literally lol

One of my cousins, because I just have so many, is doing high rep stuff and she looks phenomenal. Not ripped and muscular but smaller and not giggly. High rep is good for cutting fat, just look at stage 7, but low rep is better for building lean muscle and keeping that internal furnace burning ( I can eat that light weight under the table lol) I'll stick with low rep. I also REALLY like being stronger. low rep doesn't really do that.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I have to admit that I don't know any truly ripped women in RL. Even the gym I go to is full of people like me- moms trying to get their bodies back. And a lot of women in their 60s and 70s. Without knowing anyone with the body I want, I struggle to know how to accomplish it. My sister is the closest thing I know and she simply does the JM videos and eats what she wants in moderation.
    Anyway, I keep telling myself this is a life-long process. Those women you are talking about have been working out for years. If I had started NROL4W or training for triathlons when I was 23, I'd probably look amazing now at 28. But I didn't. I had three kids instead :)
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Its taken me 4 days to read back LOL.

So many new names and inspirational stories, especially all of you who started the same time as me in January/February and have now completed or nearly completed. I'm back at Stage One (2nd week) and am so much stronger than last time. Chiro has sorted my neck and twisted pelvis and I've been slowly building back strength up. Biggest difference has come from me buying a hydraulic couch so I am working on clients at the right level - best £700 I've ever spent!!!!!

I'm also trying to reduce Carbs. I'm finding I've become quite addicted to them lately esp bread and butter. I'm also finding a lot of bloating occurs after eating and I don't like that either. I just don't know what to replace bread with, as my lunches are usually sandwiches of some sort. Would appreciate any suggestions on what you all eat mid-day.

Can I ask a question, do any of you find your tongue drys out from increasing protein. I can't really explain it but I have to drink more, and my tongue feels dry more?

Its 29 degrees here today, so off to meet a girlfriend and have lunch at the Sailing Club by the River Hamble, I LOVE days off LOL!!!!

Have a good day everyone.

Gilee-
    I am a former carb addict :)

I never thought I'd be able to give up my oatmeal/cereal for breakfast, but I've substituted it for eggs and an avocado, often with some berries. Great high protein, high healthy-fat way to start the day.

For lunch, I usually do chicken (I cook up a bunch on Sunday for the week), with a side of baby carrots or sliced up green peppers. Lately I've been adding in a cheese stick, too, since I struggle getting all my calories without carbs!

For snack at work, I'll eat an apple or banana; almond butter is also good to have on the side as some healthy fats that is also tasty and filling.

I found eating this way (do it for a week before you give up!) keeps me full throughout the day. If I get too hungry, I'll keep some protein powder at work to guzzle down to fill me up if I need to, but mostly that has been working out for me.

I do allow myself my "splurges" on the weekends. I feel like if Monday-Friday, I can be disciplined, I can allow myself to have the junk foods I crave without going crazy!
    Thank you for these suggestions, they sound delish!!
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Its taken me 4 days to read back LOL.

I'm also trying to reduce Carbs. I'm finding I've become quite addicted to them lately esp bread and butter. I'm also finding a lot of bloating occurs after eating and I don't like that either. I just don't know what to replace bread with, as my lunches are usually sandwiches of some sort. Would appreciate any suggestions on what you all eat mid-day.

Can I ask a question, do any of you find your tongue drys out from increasing protein. I can't really explain it but I have to drink more, and my tongue feels dry more?

Have a good day everyone.
    I use Whole Wheat Pitas, they are only 80 cals and 18 carbs about the same as 1 slice of bread but holds more. You can really cram that thing with veggies with your lunch meat, chicken, or tuna.
    Thanks Sam, yes I have tried these and they are a lot less bloaty than bread I find.

Am enjoying salads at the mo with olive oil and balsamic vinegar dressings :happy:
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I'm sitting at about 23-25% bf and I'm still plenty giggly. I wonder if that 3-5% is really going to make that much difference for me. I want to have my cake and eat it too...literally lol

One of my cousins, because I just have so many, is doing high rep stuff and she looks phenomenal. Not ripped and muscular but smaller and not giggly. High rep is good for cutting fat, just look at stage 7, but low rep is better for building lean muscle and keeping that internal furnace burning ( I can eat that light weight under the table lol) I'll stick with low rep. I also REALLY like being stronger. low rep doesn't really do that.

I had my BF% done at my gym a few months ago and it said I was 20% bf and trust me....there's still jiggling going on....especially on my thighs and lower tummy. Unfortunately some of the lower tummy is loose skin from pregnancies....but still I wonder how much better it would get with lower bf%?