Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    To the rest of you carb-a-holics.. you will not believe how much better you feel if you start cutting back on the "white" carbs! I follow a semi-primal/paleo diet (basic idea is here: http://paleodietlifestyle.com/paleo-101/ ).
    I am telling you this as someone that could not live without oatmeal or cereal for breakfast, and often at tortilla chips 3x a week, and pasta 4x a week, and of course the best, bread, 5x a week.
    When you cut back, you stop craving it. I read this a zillion times and didn't believe it one bit until I did it myself.

I will admit that on the weekends, I let the "lifestyle" (not "diet") go a bit, and enjoy my pizza, basket of bread or a handful of tortilla chips, but once you cut back and then try to eat it, you just start to feel gross about it! I still enjoy the "bad" foods, but just feel so much better physically (and your gut will thank you, too!)

*sigh*

I don't want you to be right, but I'm afraid you probably are. LOL! Just this week I've cut way back on my cardio (I haven't run in 5 days aside from two 15 minute HIIT sessions on the treadmill after lifting) and also cut way back on my carbs and I'm feeling so much better. My stomach looks a lot better too. I still eat plenty of carbs but I'm hitting 40/30/30 this week and it's making a big difference.
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Well it's spooky that this subject has come up in a week when i seem to have gone on a total carb bender. Partly because I got really into refrigerator oatmeal, and being ramadan here, that's something i can take to work and eat discretely without upsetting those fasting. But just one of those weeks really.

I find it hard to keep protein up and carbs down being a pescatarian, I don't want to eat fish daily, and many of my fave dishes are Indian/Further east with lentils/beans etc. I never eat white bread/rice, but the complex carbs sure add up. And I have a sweet tooth, so that screws me too.

I just have to increase the dairy- greek yog/cheese/milk/eggs/protein powder etc.
  • winetoweights
    winetoweights Posts: 32 Member
    Options
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,994 Member
    Options
    When it comes to gauging how much "body fat %" a woman is carrying, I defer to Oxygen magazine, which often posts this info on their "bikini", "figure" and "fitness" competitor-categories.

Women really don't get down to 12% body fat without looking INSANELY muscular.....my friend at the gym isn't THAT ripped. Which is why I figure she's in the 14-16% category. (i.e. still seriously muscular without body fat - she does NOT jiggle!)

I'm pretty sure if you get to 18%, you aren't jiggling. Even 20%, I doubt there's much jiggle, excluding things like excess tummy skin (from past pregnancies), where that skin fold might *always* jiggle.

My friend at the gym, although turning 50, only had one baby (I think he's about 23 years old, now). She has a career/job that keeps her on the "excessively active" list. She had a recreational career as a triathlete. All very advantageous to her current AMAZING condition!

It's probably just WRONG that I look at her as "my inspiration" - because I do not think I can realistically get there....given my self-imposed limitation of 1-hour per day in the gym. Well, I could certainly reduce my body fat % if I cleaned up my diet MUCH MORE SIGNIFICANTLY than I have done. Which really means, I'm NOT that interested in cleaning up my diet, lol, more than I already have!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,994 Member
    Options
    Anyway, enough about hot-bod gym woman....I'm here to post about me, lol!

I had a GOOD lifting session, today.

I will confess that I have modified my second trip through Stage 7.....too much going *wrong* with my Stage 7 work-outs to keep it going that way.....I've actually been AVOIDING the gym these last days and that, to me, hi-lighted that I have to CHANGE IT UP! (I rely, very heavily, on the gym to keep me physically and mentally in balance!)

I've decided to do 4 sets (8 reps) of the BIG lift at the top of each work-out. And then, the 4-circuit-style exercises follow, 4 sets of each, but only 8 reps (no more 15-20 for Beeps!). I am permitting the 60s rests between exercises, that my body needs. And, I'm hoping to return to 3 x week lifting with these changes....the 2 x week wasn't working for me (and, I HAD to have THAT MANY REST DAYS just to continue through Stage 7!!).

As such, I recognize that I will NOT have *completed NROL4W, as written* - I have modified it to suit what my body can handle. What my mind can handle. C'est la vie!

I should be done NROL4W in a couple weeks and then I have a one week vacation planned. Upon returning from vacation, I intend on starting on NROL4Abs.

YAY!
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options

I will confess that I have modified my second trip through Stage 7.....too much going *wrong* with my Stage 7 work-outs to keep it going that way.....I've actually been AVOIDING the gym these last days and that, to me, hi-lighted that I have to CHANGE IT UP! (I rely, very heavily, on the gym to keep me physically and mentally in balance!)

I've decided to do 4 sets (8 reps) of the BIG lift at the top of each work-out. And then, the 4-circuit-style exercises follow, 4 sets of each, but only 8 reps (no more 15-20 for Beeps!). I am permitting the 60s rests between exercises, that my body needs. And, I'm hoping to return to 3 x week lifting with these changes....the 2 x week wasn't working for me (and, I HAD to have THAT MANY REST DAYS just to continue through Stage 7!!).

As such, I recognize that I will NOT have *completed NROL4W, as written* - I have modified it to suit what my body can handle. What my mind can handle. C'est la vie!

I should be done NROL4W in a couple weeks and then I have a one week vacation planned. Upon returning from vacation, I intend on starting on NROL4Abs.

YAY!

Beeps, yay! I love the attitude you have. You are realistic in goals AND what your body can handle.

I'm slowly getting there. I am lifting heavy and Alwyn says that is the best way to lose body fat. Slowly but it will happen. I don't want to be the middle age woman who is "skinny" yet have cellulite jiggly legs. Yall know what I am talking about. :huh:

I "liked" Alwyn's page on Facebook and every morning a few days a week he is open to questions. I have asked him 2 this week thus far . LOL This is not verbatim but you'll get the idea : Body fat 30%. almost finished with NROL4W what should I do until the new book comes out to lose more bf." He suggested NROL4Abs or Rach's book.

I don't know who Rach is.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Baaaaaah.

I went to the gym without my notebook and I don't remember any of the stage 3 stuff, so I figured I'd just have a nice.. "Do what I want" day, since they're fun and you can gauge your progress really well.... except I am a retard and did like 72 compound lifts and am pretty sure my back is going to break in half in the morning.

I even was like, "I really shouldn't do squats and deads in the same day... so I'll just do 3 sets of each only". LOL. Then I did bent over rows. Then I was like, "I don't really feel like I activated my glutes" so for some reason I did romanian deadlifts. And bench. Then I did negative pull ups, 'cause I felt like maybe I should see how that was going to work.

By the time I moved into the abs room to do back extensions, there was no back left to extend. ... so I worked on my hip flexors and got out of there, but I have never been more exhausted in my life. My HRM had me burn 700 cals in 60 minutes, which I am not sure if I believe, but I may or may not have been racing around with very little rest in between. LOL
  • TheFunBun
    Options

Ooooh. Thanks. I too am pesca and I can't be bothered to eat fish every day. I wish I could put protein powder in saag paneer. Then it would be ON.
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Rach is probably Rachel Cosgrove.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options

YAY!

Beeps, yay! I love the attitude you have. You are realistic in goals AND what your body can handle.

I'm slowly getting there. I am lifting heavy and Alwyn says that is the best way to lose body fat. Slowly but it will happen. I don't want to be the middle age woman who is "skinny" yet have cellulite jiggly legs. Yall know what I am talking about. :huh:

I "liked" Alwyn's page on website and every morning a few days a week he is open to questions. I have asked him 2 this week thus far . LOL This is not verbatim but you'll get the idea : Body fat 30%. almost finished with NROL4W what should I do until the new book comes out to lose more bf." He suggested NROL4Abs or Rach's book.

His wife. I bought her book about a week ago for like $4 on Ebay. Intrese
  • Jessica1274
    Options
    Manic-- I joined a FB NROLFW group. Last week Alwyn joined the group. I had posted a similar thread to what I said here about really struggling. Alwyn commented on it and suggested I do the workout, but just do one set. It would still be a complete workout. It's so funny how just having *him* tell me that, to give me permission, gave me enough motivation to do it, plus that second set!
  • manic4titans
    Options
    Sounds great, Jessica. I'm glad you were able to get through the 2nd set :flowerforyou:

I'll have to join over on Facebook.
  • Jessica1274
    Options
    When I finish this program, it will not be "as written". I have had to make many modifications. I'm okay with that. The truth is, this is the longest I have ever stuck with any type of workout program. I have never been this committed to exercise. Forget actually finishing anything. So, to just get through this program, all seven stages, is going to be SUCH an accomplishment. Honestly, I'm going to feel pretty proud!

In other news, I had X-rays of my knees done Tuesday at the orthopedist. (my knees are fine, but I have to do pt for my hip.) I could see the muscle and fat layer on the films. There is definitely a layer of fat that still needs to go, not too bad, but there nonetheless. BUT, there were muscles there! It made me feel so awesome to see those bones all bright white and those muscles, all thick and dense, and shapely! It's was just sort of a confirmation of the benefits of strength training. :)
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options

YAY!

I "liked" Alwyn's page on Facebook and every morning a few days a week he is open to questions. I have asked him 2 this week thus far . LOL This is not verbatim but you'll get the idea : Body fat 30%. almost finished with NROL4W what should I do until the new book comes out to lose more bf." He suggested NROL4Abs or Rach's book.

People on the FB NROL4W page are also raving about the ABS book, so I think that will be the next one for me. So who's starting the group for that LOL or better yet a sub-group here.

Oh for a good laugh, I discovered another reason to love being stronger. I have regained my ability to hover in public restrooms :laugh: Truly it was a skill I had lost. Those leg muscles also come in handy in the bedroom :blushing:

HI MARY! LOL feel free to FB friend me too if you wish.
  • Jessica1274
    Options

YAY!

People on the FB NROL4W page are also raving about the ABS book, so I think that will be the next one for me. So who's starting the group for that LOL or better yet a sub-group here.

Oh for a good laugh, I discovered another reason to love being stronger. I have regained my ability to hover in public restrooms :laugh: Truly it was a skill I had lost. Those leg muscles also come in handy in the bedroom :blushing:

HI MARY! LOL feel free to FB friend me too if you wish.

Sam, I immediately recognized you AND Mary in that group! Lol!
  • manic4titans
    Options
    FB requests sent :happy:

TIP to self and others out there who try this silly stupid stunt:

Do NOT weigh yourself:
    1. late evening
    2. after 3 meals and 2 snacks
    3. AND pre-TOMS

I almost fainted :sick:
  • Jessica1274
    Options
    Definitely NOT a good idea, Mary. :). I weigh first thing in the morning, post-potty, pre-breakfast. And usually not during that week of the month. :-D
  • TheFunBun
    Options
    Heeeee, awesome. How much extra was the wrong place wrong time weigh?
  • manic4titans
    Options
    Crazy right? All that combined and I weighed. :noway:
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    To the rest of you carb-a-holics.. you will not believe how much better you feel if you start cutting back on the "white" carbs! I follow a semi-primal/paleo diet (basic idea is here: http://paleodietlifestyle.com/paleo-101/ ).
    I am telling you this as someone that could not live without oatmeal or cereal for breakfast, and often at tortilla chips 3x a week, and pasta 4x a week, and of course the best, bread, 5x a week.
    When you cut back, you stop craving it. I read this a zillion times and didn't believe it one bit until I did it myself.

I will admit that on the weekends, I let the "lifestyle" (not "diet") go a bit, and enjoy my pizza, basket of bread or a handful of tortilla chips, but once you cut back and then try to eat it, you just start to feel gross about it! I still enjoy the "bad" foods, but just feel so much better physically (and your gut will thank you, too!)
    :sad: *sigh*

I don't want you to be right, but I'm afraid you probably are. LOL! Just this week I've cut way back on my cardio (I haven't run in 5 days aside from two 15 minute HIIT sessions on the treadmill after lifting) and also cut way back on my carbs and I'm feeling so much better. My stomach looks a lot better too. I still eat plenty of carbs but I'm hitting 40/30/30 this week and it's making a big difference.
    I second everything you've said! I've really consciously stuck to my 40/30/30 ratios this week and noticed such a difference in fluid retention/bloat. Not just physically but mentally also.

I think I'm about 27% fat (or so my weightwatcher scales tell me) and would be quite happy to get down to 24%. My biggest worry would be lose skin. I'm 48 now and its not so springy and if i could cut off my lose skin from 3 pregnancies I'd be a dress size smaller too!