Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    HEy Runnermom!!
    Sorry I've been MIA the last few days. Back to school week is always nuts, especially with being in a new grade level where I feel unprepared and like I'm running in circles. But I already adore my new class :bigsmile: I think we are going to end up having a great year.

Thanks to Sue for constant comments and posts on my wall. You really keep me going lady, and remind me so much of a friend I miss dearly (she's still alive, but she moved away and haven't seen her in three years) And i Love your FB posts LOL.
    Jojo, What is the fundraiser? That sounds like it will be an amazing experience.
    Beeps, always the voice of reason and inspiration!!
    Welcome to EVERYONE. Thread is getting crowded and THAT'S GREAT.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    OK, I got back to the gym last, YAY!! It felt great to sweat and in a good way, not a "Dear Lord this room is HUMID and I want to die with no A/C" kinda way." So, I finished stage 6A...and I did an unassisted chin up!! woo hoo.
  • RUNN3Rmom
    Options
    UNASSISTED!! You rock :)
  • jojojo909090
    jojojo909090 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Sam - the fundraiser is run by Oxfam all around the world. This is the one I am participating in: http://www.oxfamtrailwalker.org.nz/

I'll send you guys the link to our team page next week, we're just adding content to it now. :)

Lovely seeing this thread so busy, it's really motivating that we are all at different stages and ages! (I think Sue rocks by the way - 110lbs deadlift! WTG!). I seriously need to go buy some more weight plates now although I will be havng 2 weeks off the same as Sue very shortly. Am taking my HRM and workout gear away with me though so I can run / walk and stay in the zone.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    OK, I got back to the gym last, YAY!! It felt great to sweat and in a good way, not a "Dear Lord this room is HUMID and I want to die with no A/C" kinda way." So, I finished stage 6A...and I did an unassisted chin up!! woo hoo.

YEA!! Congrats Sam!! I can't wait to be able to say that.

Jo I agree! I get so much encouragement and useful tools & information.

There was a woman on the train tonight who had absolutely gorgeous shoulders and biceps. Unflexed, she had perfect tone and definition. I caught her eye and mouthed "weighlifter" and flexed my arm. Nope, she's a swimmer. I bet there wasn't an ounce of body fat on her either. I was totally green with envy!

I did the step ups with the barbell rested on my shoulder, like when I squat, but I felt a bit off balance. I couldn't really stand up straight without the bar slipping a bit down my back. I really can't hold it at my hips, it impedes my step up onto the riser. I'm too short for that I guess. But by using the barbell, I did 60. I think I should have done this a while ago!

One more then AMRAPS and vacation!
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Today I feel like I did when I started the program--completely exhausted by the end of a lifting day. I could get in bed and fall asleep right now (it's 7:42 here)! I've also been STARVING for all no-no foods, like chocolate and cheese. And I've indulged. But tried to force myself to log and to stay under cals. I'm annoyed with myself for having so little willpower though...I'm just hoping when TOM finally heads out the door (and it's been a doozy this month for some reason) I'll regain my diet composure. Argggh.

Mary, I feel like you do....frustrated with the lack of fat loss. Of course, I know that fat loss isn't what the program's all about, I get that (and I do have muscle gains, definition, etc.). But it's still mystifying to me how eating at a deficit for months and months hasn't helped me lose this fat. Generally speaking (don't look at my diary today) I eat carefully, and still NOTHING. Maybe this is it.

It stinks being a female, doesn't it? I am crazy bloated and I still have 3 weeks left:grumble:

And yes, I don't understand it either. I've been eating at a deficit too and NO weight loss. But I will not accept this is it for my body. I know I can get smaller, I've done it before.

Sam, a real chin up!! :drinker:

Sue, great work with the step ups. I hate them and had to do them today.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Woot woot! Just coming in to say y'all are doing great! CHIN UPs! whooo!

Oddly enough, I think I'm supposed to start Stage 5 tomorrow. These last stages are so quick, even when I fall behind and end up doing a few 2 workouts per week.

We're having a west nile outbreak - and like an idiot I had a late night run in a park with a creek. Few monster mosquito bites, and the next day I had flu symptoms and the worst headache ever. I guess it's almost done now, but geez. I'm just glad it wasn't one of the awful forms.
  • joannezuk
    joannezuk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Just a quick hi today. But I can't stop in without saying:

Runn3rmom: UNASSISTED? You rock!

Sue: Awesome arm shot! You're doing incredibly!!!

Have a fabulous Friday ladies!
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options

YO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mad respect!
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Okay, I have a really serious question for those of you who work, or go to school,and have kids at home. How do you manage to find the time, energy, and motivation for working out? Please, I'd love to hear what an average week looks like for you.

I have started taking classes again, and next fall will hopefully be starting an RN program. I also have a nearly 14yo and a 10yo. I feel like I'm being stretched thin (and not the good kind of thin). I have been continuing to workout, but it's not been as regular as I want. I am a "morning workout" person, but I have to eat first. BUT, I have to take my stupid thyroid pill first and wait an hour to eat. Then I wait 30-45 to workout, so I don't throw up my breakfast.

I have thought about getting up even earlier. I don't think I could do the full workout though, before I have to leave to take the kids to school. I can only get up so early, ya know? I need my sleep!

Is it possible to "retrain" yourself to workout in the afternoon? Assuming I can squeeze in the time? Usually by afternoon I feel spent, and I have no energy. I wonder if I just make myself do it anyway, would I get used to it?

So, please, tell me how you manage it all?
  • heatheralia
    heatheralia Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Jessica - I do all of my lifting at home after work, usually after cooking dinner for the family. I sit with them and visit while they eat, then lift before I eat (otherwise it makes me feel sick). I also have that run down at the end of the day feeling, but reading these posts on MFP when I get a chance really helps me to be motivated to get home and get another lifting day done. I may not post very often, but I read the threads daily and it is sooo encouraging to me! None of my friends or family lift, so this is where I get all of my motivation & inspiration. :flowerforyou:
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    samntha - BIGGEST PROPS, to you, on the "unassisted chin-up". I'm very PROUD of you....you've earned EVERY SWEET SECOND of this achievement. Awesome!!!

Jessica - about 2.5 years ago, I changed my work-hours and, as a result, I HAD to change the time-of-day that I worked out. I've always been a working mom.....so, I've always had to prioritize my work-outs, before any other "free time", as it were. In my 20's, I easily fit my work-outs in at night-time. Would hit a 7:30 pm class, or head over to the gym with my brother at 7:00 and bang-out a work-out. Or I'd bike with him for a couple hours. In my 30's, I had MORE kids, and I changed to doing aquacize, while pregnant, and then ALWAYS did my work-outs in the mornings. My gym held cardio classes at 6:00 am, 7:30 am, 9:00 am, whatever. Easy-pleasy! (I had flex-hours at work and usually did a 9:00 am work-out and headed to work for about 11:00 am and worked until around 7:00 pm.)

2.5 years ago, I headed straight into a "8 - 6 pm" work schedule. So, no more morning work-outs....if I wanted to see my kids, awake, at all. So, I now have breakfast with my family, head to work, and I *have* to get my work-out in at the lunch hour. I sneak out most days at 11:00 am. Aim to be back at my desk at 1:00 pm. I don't take any other breaks and I get all my work done, or I stay late to do it.

i have NEVER worked out at home.....and never could. WAY TOO MANY DISTRACTIONS, for me.

And, working out in the evening hasn't happened since my 20's. I have NO energy in the evenings, at all. Mostly, I spend them driving my kids to/from their sports and hanging out watching whatever it is they are up to.

I'm in bed every single night at 10:00 pm. Period. Regular sleep, for me, and regular exercise, is the ONLY way that I survive all of the stress that comes with the life that I lead.

I hope this helps!
  • Jessica1274
    Options
    Jessica - I do all of my lifting at home after work, usually after cooking dinner for the family. I sit with them and visit while they eat, then lift before I eat (otherwise it makes me feel sick). I also have that run down at the end of the day feeling, but reading these posts on MFP when I get a chance really helps me to be motivated to get home and get another lifting day done. I may not post very often, but I read the threads daily and it is sooo encouraging to me! None of my friends or family lift, so this is where I get all of my motivation & inspiration. :flowerforyou:

Thank you for posting. :) It's pretty awesome that you're able to get that motivation to do what you need to do, even when you don't feel like it. I hope that I can do that, too.
  • Jessica1274
    Options
    Beeps-- I'm the same way about my bedtime. I HAVE to go to bed on time. I've always been that way.

I'm wondering if I joined a gym closer to my classes if it would help me to squeeze in workouts. I'm also wondering about breaking up the workouts, so they are shorter. Right now I'm working out at home. It works out well, except for the time factor.

It's really hard to manage everything. I am so not wired this way. I've always been bad at managing multiple things. I'm doing much better, and it gives me hope. But, I always feel like something is slipping. So far it hasn't been my school work or exercise, but don't come to look at my house. Or ask me what I've fed my kids.
  • manic4titans
    Options
    I have an awesome support system at home or I would never fit in a workout. My husband works from home and my teens are old enough to take care of themselves and my little one. I can NOT work out in the evenings. Like Beeps, 20 years ago I could workout at night but no more.

Jessica, I think you need to set a routine and stick to it. Find the time that works and make it a habit. Pretty soon it will be second nature.
  • Jessica1274
    Options
    I have an awesome support system at home or I would never fit in a workout. My husband works from home and my teens are old enough to take care of themselves and my little one. I can NOT work out in the evenings. Like Beeps, 20 years ago I could workout at night but no more.

Jessica, I think you need to set a routine and stick to it. Find the time that works and make it a habit. Pretty soon it will be second nature.

Well, I agree on the routine, Mary. The problem is everyday isn't the same. Right now I have class only on Mon. And Wed. Next month it will be Mon thru Thurs, but not the same times. Every day will be a different schedule, with Wednesday being all fricking day. I'll have an 1 1/2 hr break for lunch, and a few hours in the afternoon, which is when I'll be picking up kids and feeding them. I'll also have clinicals starting, and I have NO idea how those will fit in.

I love routine. I think that's why I am struggling. It is hard to have a routine when things aren't the same from day to day. :-( Ideally I will figure out some way to CREATE one.
  • manic4titans
    Options
    Jessica, I totally understand the school schedule. I am a RN. My kids were 3 and 5 when I began the nursing program. WKU built a nice fitness gym and a friend and I worked out for an hour after our class but that meant that was another hour I wasn't with my kids. Thinking back on it, they didn't mind. I had guilt but they are 17 and 19 now. They don't even remember.
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Hi, Jessica--Do you *have* to take the thyroid pill in the morning? Could you ask your dr. about taking it at night before bed? I mean, your body doesn't know what time it is, really. As long as you take it at the same time every day maybe it wouldn't matter.

I work, often a crazy schedule, and have kids (8 and 10, no childcare after school) and a husband who works full time and travels a lot. My days can be very different and sometimes I have NO time. So I realized this summer that if I was going to fit in regular workouts, I had to do them before the day started. It's the only time that's always free. So I get up at 5, go to the gym or go running, and I'm done before I get the kids up for school at 6:45. I don't eat before I workout, usually. I just have coffee with milk. Occasionally I'll eat a handful of nuts or something small just to tide me over, but I'm okay with semi-fasted workouts. It's been working for me, other than my husband's eye-rolling when he sees me set the alarm for 5.

Good luck...
  • Jessica1274
    Options
    Jessica, I totally understand the school schedule. I am a RN. My kids were 3 and 5 when I began the nursing program. WKU built a nice fitness gym and a friend and I worked out for an hour after our class but that meant that was another hour I wasn't with my kids. Thinking back on it, they didn't mind. I had guilt but they are 17 and 19 now. They don't even remember.

I was a freshman when the Preston Center opened! It was so nice!

I wish I'd finished all of this years ago. Changing directions later in life can be a drag. I think it would have been easier in some ways if I had done this when they were younger. Now they are involved in things and are needy in different ways.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Samantha, you are my hero!
    Jessica, you are a much better woman than I to be able to manage all that. I find that I have less energy in the afternoons when I start my workout, but once I start I am able to push myself harder. Like you, I prefer mornings after breakfast, but many times I have to settle for late afternoon when hubby can watch the kids. And sometimes I workout at 9 pm. I think you will be able to figure out something that works for you. Once you get into nursing school your schedule will probably be very sporadic, unfortunately (I am an RN too). But I know many of my classmates used the gym at the school after class.

You ladies are scaring me talking about no fat loss. I love this program, but I also need something that will make me smaller and get rid of fat. Starting Stage 3 Monday- hopefully i continue to get results. I've been losing weight and inches very slooooowly. I don't mind slow as long as it works.