Options

Replies

• SteAnnMui
    SteAnnMui Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    October 2nd

Me: 2
    NEP: 0

I like this challenge. I do tend to focus on my macros, but this makes me focus more on protein.

Oh, and yesterday while working out and waiting in between sets, I noticed in the mirror my thigh muscles bulge out now. Way better than being flabby!
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Saw my dr today. Finally got something to help me sleep. I'm so excited for bedtime! Lol!

Beeps, I think I'm on workout A6 in stage one. I'm going to go to 8. It's just taking a while at twice a week. I'm just proud of myself for not stopping with my schedule having gotten so nuts. I'm the Little Engine that Could, slowly chugging on. :tongue:

I think I will either lift tomorrow or Thursday. Hopefully tomorrow.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.

I guess today I'm winning.

Me: 1
    NEP: 1

Go bulging quads SteAnn!
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Me 1 - although according to MFP I should eat 40 gms of protein, I ate 166 - my body weight in protein
    NEP 1
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Me:1
    NEP:1

Today has been a long day. Hubby had endoscopy early this am and of course, we were at the hospital until after 12pm. THEN he had another dr appt. an hour away for a different problem. My workout and food intake suffered yet again. Life is flying by. I am spinning my wheels. Is my health really getting better by what little I do or am I only kidding myself!

I am wondering if I am eating more calories than what I am logging or the bmf is inaccurate. Really? Eating at a deficit compared to what my body media fit says a person would think a deficit of 500 or more (5-6 days/weekly) would result in a scale or body inch loss. Calorie wise-I do measure or weigh food and if I am uncertain with the calorie amount , I tend to go with the middle.

If you are still with me, yes, it is TOM.
  • TheFunBun
    Options
    Hmmm, Mary, do you use the numbers that your BMF gives you for weight lifting when calculating things? because you may be at a stiffer defecit since it seems to think weightlifting is not really a physical activity. I average mine out with my HRM because I move around a lot between sets and figure that it's fairly accurate that way... but maybe you're having a bigger deficit than you think and it's making your body cut muscle rather than do anything else?
  • TheFunBun
    Options
    Oh wait. I forgot to mention I eat at a deficit too and haven't seen a loss ... pretty much in forever now. I'm pretty sure my problem is hormonal. Maybe you too? I don't lose weight at 1200-1800, and I don't gain it at maintenance levels (2500+ish) so I know something is going the eff on.

And this was pre-NROL4W and any weight training, too, so I know it's not the magic weight training slow you down thing that happens to some of us...

But maybe we're hormonal screw up buddies? ;)
  • blushingmama
    blushingmama Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Newbie to the program and have a question.

Has anyone noticed headaches in the beginning stages?

I've had a headache since Tuesday morning. I started the plan on Monday. I'm not exactly new to weight room but it's been a few years. However, I am new to headaches. I never get them. I haven't taken any medications because I wanted to see if it would go away. This ins't a debilitating headache just more like wow my head still hurts.

I'm thinking it might be from lower carbs. I'm struggling to get my protein levels high enough, I managed to get 135 grams of protein yesterday with 141grams of carbs. But I was way over my calories. I was super hungry yesterday, 2100 calories.

Anyone have suggestions?
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Blushingmama - I did not experience headaches from doing New Rules. I think you're right: it might have more to do with nutrition. It has happened to me before when I changed my diet (e.g., cutting out sugar for a month, I got serious headaches initially). You may have to play around with your macros. But if it persists, you might want to see your doctor. Also drink lots of water!

FunBun - Before joining MFP, I was convinced my hormones were preventing me from losing. The few times I tried to exercise and eat better, the scale didn't move. It is definitely possible it's hormonal. But for me, the weight training seems to be working. It was definitely a jolt to my very sedentary system. Here I go again, but have you talked to your doc? You never know...

Manic (Mary?) - It's the TOM speaking. You will feel better soon and back in the right mindset. We have ALL been there. You gotta just start each day "anew" and do your best. And don't beat yourself up.

Sue - Daaaayim. I have never come close to getting in that much protein. I really need to step it up.

Hi to everyone else - Sorry I didn't scroll back to read the previous pages. (lazy)

AFM - Todyay's workout kicked my butt!! I don't know if it's because I'm pushing a little harder with weights (finally doing what I consider heavy) or if I just didn't get good sleep. But the workout was tough and I'm sore all over again. Two more weeks then Stage 1 will be done. OH - one thing: I did 2 of my 3 sets of pushups today with my feet on a step. Very proud of that!

-Kathy
  • SteAnnMui
    Options
    Thanks TheFunBun! It's nice seeing real progress on my body.

Ugh, so tired today. But I'm going to push through a workout. Sloane (my daughter) suddenly thinks it's the cool thing to get up in the middle of the night and play. I have an option of napping during her first nap or working out. I'm going to choose the workout as much as I desire a nap.

Thankfully my husband gets back from out of town tonight and will be here for four days to help.
  • mermegan
    mermegan Posts: 143
    Options
    10/2/12

Hit my goal yesterday!

Me: 1
    NEP: 1

Had a great workout yesterday Stage 1 B4. Only rested 30 seconds and that made a big difference in heart rate.

Have a great day ladies!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,003 Member
    Options
    sue - check your macros...if they are set for ONLY 50g of protein per day, I think your ratios are incorrect. I've set mine at 40/35/25 (protein/carbs/fat) to make sure I'm getting in protein which is AT LEAST 125g, but preferably 150g per day. If your body weight is 150 lb, you really should be aiming for 150g of protein per day. So, just re-calibrate your macros and it will probably help make sure you are getting in the protein your body NEEDS for muscle repair!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Jessica, I forgot you were having sleep problems! But, it sounds like you might FINALLY have found something that works?? You know, it's pretty damn amazing that you've been steadily getting your weight-training in, even when feeling UN-rested - YOU AMAZE ME, GIRL! And, I thought about doing "8" workouts, but decided 6 was enough. I still have NROL4Life to give a whirl, after NROL4Abs, and I also have the Venus Index workouts....so, I've got LOTS of pre-programmed weight-lifting stuff to try for the next 12 - 18 months and I'm just TOO excited to give it ALL a whirl, lol!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    manic - I actually *didn't* get that TOM was your issue as I read through your post, lol.....so, thanks for enlightening me!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Protein challenge:

Me: 2
    NEP: 0

I feel pretty confident in this challenge. I probably should change my macros to 40/25/35 (protein/carbs/fat) to recognize I'm kind of low-carbing it - and probably need more healthy fats!
  • NthnButMoonshine
    NthnButMoonshine Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Newbie to the program and have a question.

Has anyone noticed headaches in the beginning stages?

I've had a headache since Tuesday morning. I started the plan on Monday. I'm not exactly new to weight room but it's been a few years. However, I am new to headaches. I never get them. I haven't taken any medications because I wanted to see if it would go away. This ins't a debilitating headache just more like wow my head still hurts.

I'm thinking it might be from lower carbs. I'm struggling to get my protein levels high enough, I managed to get 135 grams of protein yesterday with 141grams of carbs. But I was way over my calories. I was super hungry yesterday, 2100 calories.

Anyone have suggestions?

YES!!! However mine were terrible debilitating ones. The ones that would force me to take out the heavy drugs and put me in bed for remainder of the day. (I was diagnosed with migraines at age 13. Its rare I pull out the heavy drugs, because after so many years of dealing with them, I'm pretty good at heading them off before needing the heavy stuff or avoiding them in the first place.) With a little experimentation I found it was indeed a combo of carbs and blood sugar levels giving me fits. For a while, as soon as I arrived home from the gym I would have my protein shake with a piece of whole wheat toast and some jam. Just enough carbs and sugar to keep my blood sugar from hitting rock bottom too fast. Now that my body has adjusted a bit I forgo the toast and jam, however, I dont dawdle with that protein shake. I still get a more "mild" migraine every once in a while, but usually only on days I push extra hard with the weights.
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Ugh, so tired today. But I'm going to push through a workout. Sloane (my daughter) suddenly thinks it's the cool thing to get up in the middle of the night and play. I have an option of napping during her first nap or working out. I'm going to choose the workout as much as I desire a nap.

I had to drag myself out of bed today as well. For some reason on the nights I have to get to bed early, my husband stays up late, tosses and turns, gets up in the middle of the night to pee, etc. AND last night my daughter came wandering into our room at like 3am. So I did my workout, but I'm dog tired right now due to lack of sleep.

I vote for a nap!
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Wish I had more time to respond. I'm buried in tax returns and it's quarter end. Ahhh the joys of being a tax accountant!

Me - 2
    NEP - 0

I caved and had half a donut today. It was sooooo good!! People have been bringing them in to the office almost every day for the last couple weeks. It's awful!!
  • SteAnnMui
    Options

I had to drag myself out of bed today as well. For some reason on the nights I have to get to bed early, my husband stays up late, tosses and turns, gets up in the middle of the night to pee, etc. AND last night my daughter came wandering into our room at like 3am. So I did my workout, but I'm dog tired right now due to lack of sleep.

I vote for a nap!

I ended up working out! Then after I even had time to make stuffed peppers for the crock pot for dinner later tonight. It's a new recipe I'm trying :) That's usually what happens though, I end up working out and then for her second nap I don't feel like sleeping anymore.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    "Booooooooo" on debilitating headaches - HOW AWFUL!!

kmsa - I say if you have the time for a nap - GO FOR IT! My daughter was sick all through the night last night, too. Alas, I'm a working mom - no rest for the weary!

jennie - we are losing our tax accountant at the end of december - don't know what we'll do without him - he's IRREPLACEABLE! Yay for the donut - now, back on track, right??

I did my first "B" work-out in Phase 2, NROL4Abs. Here are my comments:

1. The ab-work with the pulley is just D-U-M-B. As in, I'm not capable of balancing on 3 points (rather than 4), without somehow moving my elbow more central to my body....so, the front plank was lame - and that was with a WHOPPING 5 lbs on the cable. ULTIMATE FAIL.

2. The swiss-ball jack-knife is back. LOVE THIS.

3. Aaaaggghhh, the reappearance of 'step-ups'. HATE THIS.

4. And, I can unequivocally say that, even though I have not TRIED a 'chin-up', I am now 100% confident that I CANNOT do one! Mixed-grip chin-ups appeared for this "B" phase 2 and I had to add 75 lbs (that's right 75 POUNDS) of assisted to do the 8 reps. Another ULTIMATE FAIL.

5. I did have time to add a big-lift to the end of the work-out. I chose shoulder-press because my shoulders are THE BOMB and after all the other ULTIMATE FAILS of this work-out, I needed SOMETHING to save my poor, fragile ego!!!!!!

The. End.