Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Had a great workout last night! I upped the weight so I did 60# step ups (my forearms hurt the most out of anything) and I was able to squat 75#. I'm thinking I could up the weight for the squats another 10# for next time. We shall see. It's exciting to see my strength increasing!

I have had this problem in the past as well...that your hands can't keep up with your legs. Keep progressing!!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,993 Member
    Options
    LB2LL - 60 lb step-ups?? How high is your bench?? Step-ups get my heart racing and I sure can't do a LOT of weight, without losing my form.

chubby - I really wanted to get through Stage 6 of NROL4W BECAUSE my upper-body strength just isn't what I want it to be. I still haven't finished that stage....maybe I should just do THAT stage, when I'm done VI Phase 1 (next week). It's either that, or just move on to NROL4Life.

If anybody can post on "Supercharged", I'd like to hear a report on those work-outs....

Hey, a SHOUT OUT to all the February Streak Challenge participants ... HOW IS IT GOING SO FAR?

Today is my little gym club at the office. On tuesdays, thru Feb, I'll lead a "ugifit" class - 30 minutes of cardio/strength mixed - I'm only doing it because of my February "streak" challenge.....it will keep me on track!

Had to buy all new gym bottoms.....mine don't fit anymore. So, capris aren't in stock - I bought full length, which never are long enough for my legs, anyway, and my nanny is going to shorten them to capris! Problem solved. Also, thank you "Costco" because <$20 is about what I want to pay for my pants!
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Beeps...awesome on the pants. I too need to get some new workout pants. I worry mine might fall off doing some of the overhead stuff. but I like that feeling too. lol I know Natini is doing supercharged...maybe she will chime in about it.

welcome to all the newbies and way to go to everyone else.

My son came home sick yesterday from school and I am feeling pretty pathetic myself. I am hoping to still hit the gym tomorrow, I typically go m-w-f but we'll see. maybe just a light workout.

Question for you ladies. since I started stage three, which feels like so much upper body work, my shoulders have been aching. especially my right shoulder. not pain necessarily but an almost constant ache I can't seem to shake. anyone else experience this? should I worry about it ya think of just keep on going. I don't remember any pain during the routine so I don't think I have injured anything...I don't know. I know that those YTWL things are hard as frick. and I only do them with 5 pound weights. any suggestions or thoughts welcomed. it is more annoying than anything.

ETA- I am 4 days to the good on my streak challenge. with the way I am feeling today I may lose that battle though. we'll see. I was trying hard to make it yesterday though and did so maybe the day will pan out better than I think.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    My challenge has been going great! A few days I was slightly over my allotted calories but I am counting it in my favor!

My step ups never had good form with increasing weights. I am starting out with the 12 inch step. The weight bench is way to high for me to have good form with or without weights.
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed my workout this morning. There were only 3 people in the weight section, all women!!!

I have been using the smith machine for squats, no other option at my gym. However, the husband just get weights at home. So this morning I did squats using the real bar and no machine. I upped my weight by 10lb, it felt great to do these without the machine. It took a little time to get the balance, but I really felt the difference.
    Unfortunately I still need to go to the gym for the seated row, but its only 3 mins from my house. So squats at home, then to the gym for the rest.
    The step ups killed me. I use the bench. I only use 7.5lb weights and I struggle to finish 10 on each leg. So hard.
    I also still cannot do a real push up. I use the window sill, but I am determined to do a real one by the end of this stage.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Beeps - Sunday was not pretty, I went way over on all of my macros. I was back on track yesterday and today is off to a good start with an AM workout and a clean breakfast!

LB2LL - I'm super impressed with you r 60# step ups! I use a 30 lb barbell and 18" step and I want to die at the end!

I also have the problem with my grips, I was advised to just wait it out and they will catch up, I would like to do more on the dead-lift though and I'm impatient!
  • LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Beeps, I use the weight bench so however high that is... 18''? 20"? I'm not entirely sure. With that said, I've noticed that with the higher weight I HAVE to take a small 15sec break between legs to complete the set. And yes, I feel like I am dying throughout. My form has been good, I just noticed on the VERY last one last night that the dumb bell started "slipping" and was at an awkward angle. The tightness in the forearms corrected itself last time by the time I did the next workout of step ups.
  • lcuconley
    Options
    I use the weight bench for my stepups too. I sure wish they would get a plyobox as it really is not optimal. I usually take a 30 second break between my two legs (both step ups and lunges).

Beeps - I thought my streak would end when I did not go to the gym yesterday am, but I went to the gym last night. I appreciate being held accountable! Went running this am, so I am at 5! (More if you go back to January)

Gadenni - totally agree with you on the YWTLs. They are hard even at low weights! I don't remember constantly aching shoulders.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    gadenni - when you are doing your upper-body work (specifically, shoulders), are you 100% sure that your shoulders are DOWN-AND-BACK?? Check your form. If your shoulders are down-and-back, you are doing things correctly, and the "pain" probably isn't a brewing injury. If your form is even a little bit off, your shoulders are TELLING you to focus on that FORM!

manic - all sounds good. I only want you to report that you are "taking it slow" and that you continue to see a physician, or physical therapist, re: back injury.

rachie - I'm with you on the step-ups. My lazy glutes just get in the way of every damn step-up I do!

kat - try a reverse-hand grip.....it probably will permit you to go higher on the weight of your deadlift.

LB2LL - Well, I'm totally impressed with your step-ups! I'm on a 20" bench and, despite strong shoulders, I can't do more than 15 lb DBs on my step-ups....and that's on a REALLY GOOD DAY. Mostly, I use 12.5 lb DBs. My glutes are hurting just thinking about 60 lbs!

lcuconley - YAY FOR THE STREAK!

Today will be day 5 of my streak. Thursday is gonna be my "tricky" day this week....but, hopefully, I can manage to keep my streak going!
  • lcuconley
    Options

kat - try a reverse-hand grip.....it probably will permit you to go higher on the weight of your deadlift.

Do you mean a mixed grip? One hand facing you and the other facing away? That is a good suggestion. Alternate the hands each set.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

Do you mean a mixed grip? One hand facing you and the other facing away? That is a good suggestion. Alternate the hands each set.

I actually did try that this morning! It felt awkward at first but it did seem to help. Thanks ladies!
  • tennesseeleigh
    Options
    No workout yesterday because the kiddo had 2 drs appts. Cardio day today. I have to admit I don't really care for cardio but on days like today where my mind is frazzled (no sleep last night - DS is teething and got 3 shots yesterday) it's nice to tune out and do something mindless. When I lift I have to be very "in the moment." Weights tomorrow.
  • manic4titans
    Options
    awww, Beeps. you are kind. I am taking it slow. My next dr appt is in June. Yesterday, I did dabble with increasing some weight such as:seated row and squats.

I can't express enough to everyone about proper form! The first time around all I wanted to do was lift heavy and see how much I could lift the next round. What did I get out of it? A herniated disc. These past couple weeks, I've focused on form and little weights and I am just as sore the first time around.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    lcu and kat - yep, the reverse grip is one hand overhand, one hand underhand - and then do the reverse of that on your next lifting set.

manic - I'm with you on the "GO HEAVY" part. I spent most of 2012 trying to get to 1 x BW on my bigger lifts. Didn't happen....so, then I was all depressed. Now, I realize, that my diet has been (truly) what held me back, in 2012, from getting the SHAPE I wanted. So, 2013 is a brand new year and I don't care (anymore) if I EVER get to 1 x BW on a deadlift, or 2 x BW on squats, or whatever. I'm getting the SHAPE that I want, from lifting as heavy as I (safely) can, and from dialing back the calories. Period.

But, I still admire the chicks who can LIFT BIG. It just isn't *my* focus, anymore, but I'm totally cool if it is theirs....
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I still have nearly 3 weeks left of stage 1, but I took a peak at stage 2. WOW. Thats all I can say. I hope my body os ready for that assult!!!!!
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I still have nearly 3 weeks left of stage 1, but I took a peak at stage 2. WOW. Thats all I can say. I hope my body os ready for that assult!!!!!
    It's a nice change of pace after stage 1 which I felt took forever. prepare to spend an extra twenty minutes working out though, if i remember correctly. and that's not counting the HIIT when it's called for.

i'm posting to make sure that i don't totally fall out of this group. i haven't been lifting like i should, first i was sick, now i'm going through a tough break up and not eating enough to fuel me through workouts. i tried doing stage 4 workout 2b last night and almost passed out so i'm just going to take it easy until i feel better and stronger. i'll be back at it soon and kicking azz!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    rachie - you'll totally be ready for Stage 2. No worries!

lhergen - it's okay to split up your work-outs, if that makes it better (following an illness). Just do what you can. But, keep doing it. Believe me, the DOMs is NOT worth it (if you quit - and then start again!).

TODAY IS DAY 5 OF THE FEBRUARY STREAK CHALLENGE! How are y'all doing, streakers?? I'm 5-for-5!
  • manic4titans
    Options
    5 for 5!!!
  • juliep1974
    juliep1974 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm going to restart on Monday. I got 3/4 of the way through stage 1 last year and then ended up with stitches in my hand and couldn't grab anything for a couple of weeks and then it was time for Triathlon season and it was too difficult to do both.

This year, I was training for a half marathon but ended up with a stress fracture in my foot so I'm off the running for at least a month and then it is going to be a slow build up in mileage. I've been doing p90x but there is a lot I can't do because I can't run or jump. I am hoping the foot comes back with no issues but figure if it takes longer to heal than anticipated, this is a great way to spend my time (and I'll be able to work in spin classes and swimming on my non-lifting days).

I really enjoyed it the first time around and am really excited this time. I'm more or less at my anticipated goal weight and want to focus on body composition and the signs are saying nows the time. I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself :happy:
  • manic4titans
    Options
    Welcome back Julie!