Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    phew, all that massaging and rolling has helped so much! I think I'll be ok to lift tomorrow (or maybe TRX).

Sam, you sound like a Zumba queen!! It's never inspired me, first because I am so uncoordinated when it comes to dancing and I am VERY self conscious about making goofy looking moves in a group class. But I am excited for you, I really think you will make an excellent instructor! ..and I'll be in and out all weekend, so I'll be stopping by too,

Hi Pearl! Bet those kiddos loved that mom was playing with them! How cool to sling 'em up on your hips and run!! Great NSV!!
    I know that losing weight seems like the most important thing but remember that cutting cals also means you won't gain muscle. Think about that before you really decide to cut. I bet the increase is small AND based on everyone else's results here, your size will change even if the scale doesn't!

Beeps you would love to be me, my glutes are sore all the time, firing is not an issue!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    breezedaze - congrats on smaller-size clothing!! Yay!

samntha - sounds like you really got a work-out in. Yay! (zumba isn't my thing - but I am addicted to cardio-step!)

pearlmullet - recognize that strength gains in Phase 1 are AWESOME! Your "weight" gain might just be water, due to all the 'healing process' of stressed muscles. Don't panic (yet).

sue - it's true I'd love to be anyone who knows they are hitting the RIGHT body parts with the exercises they are performing. So glad to read the massaging and rolling helped - BECAUSE IT DOES!

Today, I lift!
  • pearlmullet
    pearlmullet Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks Beeps and sue. I know I build muscle easily, so trying to keep that in mind. (I once got hot biceps from frisbee. A lot of frisbee, granted, but I was in university, so diet...um, wha? :ohwell: )

Almost forgot my NSV: out of the blue compliment from a coworker. So needed it, because I was feeling kinda down, watching the scale go up.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Pearl, have you lifted before? You could definitely be getting some newb gains if you have never lifted or it's been a long time since you lifted. However, that's only going to be 1/2 lb-1lb a month at the very most. Like Beeps said, the rest is probably water weight. Give yourself a rest week at the end of the Stage and THEN weigh. How are your clothes fitting? You can decrease body fat without losing lbs(I know you already know this, but sometimes it helps to be reminded!).

Someone on MFP friends list posted this yesterday and I found it inspiring. This lady weighs 170lbs, is 5'5" and has a BF% in the TEENS. She's a competitor, so personally I find her a bit too bulky, but, gosh, she's amazing! Ignore the scale and focus on how you look and FEEL ladies:)
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/community/progress-photos/LadyFirefighter#

Last workout of basic training today! Looking forward to fewer reps in Hypertrophy!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    pearl - how do you know you build muscle easily??

chubby - I'm always wary of the "bf %" numbers people post. If they don't have a DXA to back it up, then, for me, it isn't "real" - it's just a guestimate.

Which reminds me - I am going to get a DXA scan done this summer. I'm trying to get <140 and then I'll schedule it.
  • pearlmullet
    pearlmullet Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Pearl, have you lifted before? You could definitely be getting some newb gains if you have never lifted or it's been a long time since you lifted. However, that's only going to be 1/2 lb-1lb a month at the very most. Like Beeps said, the rest is probably water weight. Give yourself a rest week at the end of the Stage and THEN weigh. How are your clothes fitting? You can decrease body fat without losing lbs(I know you already know this, but sometimes it helps to be reminded!).

I haven't lifted in years, and I've never lifted heavy. I used to do BodyPump but it was high reps, lower weights. I don't know that I knew I could reduce body fat without losing lbs...I assumed if I was gaining/not losing it meant I was hanging onto fat. My clothes are definitely fitting better! Thanks!
    Ok, so I'm guessing - but I tend to notice muscle definition relatively quickly after starting a new fitness routine or amping up intensity of regular activity. I got the 'inverted v' above my knees after a summer of biking around on a junker with no gears, for example.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    pearl - that's really interesting. I just keep reading how totally TOUGH it is for women to "build muscle", so it's nice to hear that some women can!!

I got in a good lifting session. Will do cardio tomorrow.

That's it - I'm outta here! Have a good weekend - I'll be in-and-out at son's baseball play-offs and daughter's dance recital, so not sure I'll be back before Monday!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Beeps, I agree- anyone can claim they are a certain % and I've seen some pretty crazy claims. This girl was definitely in the teens- supposedly 15%. She has competition photos posted- visible abs, major definition, etc. I think a DEXA scan is a great tool for anyone wanting to monitor their health. Enjoy your weekend!

Oh, I'm in the 150's for the first time since 2008! Hubby told me tonight he thought I was smaller than I was when we got married. Nope, I'm 15lbs heavier, but in much better shape.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options

I haven't lifted in years, and I've never lifted heavy. I used to do BodyPump but it was high reps, lower weights. I don't know that I knew I could reduce body fat without losing lbs...I assumed if I was gaining/not losing it meant I was hanging onto fat. My clothes are definitely fitting better! Thanks!

Ok, so I'm guessing - but I tend to notice muscle definition relatively quickly after starting a new fitness routine or amping up intensity of regular activity. I got the 'inverted v' above my knees after a summer of biking around on a junker with no gears, for example.

I think most of us fall into the newb category. We are trading fat for new muscle so we tend to equalize as far as "weight". 18 months into this and now I'm at a point where it is harder to develop new muscle, but I'm still burning fat. I had this conversation with someone today. CArdio doesn't love me because I can't get my Heart rate up high enough to be in "fat burning". I burn calories, but NOT fat. When I strength train, it's so strenuous on my body that my muscles just chew up the fat. The little zapper thing is just an estimate, but I need to get zapped again, since I've been behaving myself...more than I was. I know I haven't worked hard enough the last few months to really burn fat or really build any new muscle. Truly just maintaining where I'm at.

My food really did turn out to be as bad as I thought it would. Celebrations are like that...and we have a wedding tomorrow. :ohwell:
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    HI All.

I've been running nonstop for the past 4 days. I've tried to read/catch up on yall but no such luck.

So THUMBS UP to all the awesome work or pick yourself up, dust off, and start tomorrow. :bigsmile:

I managed to workout twice this week amidst the constant errands. Another Saturday workout tomorrow. :grumble: I love my weekends off. Stage 2 just about killed me yesterday. I forgot how much cardio it was for me! The one point dumbbell rows (???) have my hamstrings and glutes sore today. My balance is horrible.
  • samntha14
    Options
    Way to go Maniac!!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Sam, you should send pics to Sarauk and SideSteel for a BF estimate. They'd probably be as accurate as the zapper. Try not to go too overboard at the wedding (although I would totally use that as an excuse to "cheat"). Wedding cake...mmmm....

Manic, did you get your workout in this morning? I don't like to workout on Saturdays either. Good job fitting your gym time in!

I found out yesterday that the girl that works in the office at my gym does some sort of body building competitions or power lifting competitions. I don't know what kind, but she gave me same great tips on glute exercises. I think she's currently in "bulking" mode. Her BF% is probably as high as mine right now, but she's got some MAJOR muscle underneath and her hamstrings and glutes are incredible (that sounded weird, but you know what I mean). Lol.
    I told hubby about this and he said a girl that he works with does figure competitions. He made the comment that her body changes DRASTICALLY throughout the year and he thought it odd. I explained the bulking and extreme cutting that many of them do. I admire their discipline and dedication, but no way I could ever do that. I'd probably develop a binging habit.
    Ok, enough random chat. I need to go outside and do something useful in this ridiculous heat.
  • samntha14
    Options
    I couldn't do it either Cowgirl. I just want to be in my best shape all the time. Powerlifting though I think would be different because you have maintain your muscle and strength. I recently learned you have to be lifting over 250lbs to even be remotely competitive and 300 tends to win.

Ok, I'm going to say something that will probably not go over to well. I want to talk about the importance of proper foundational garments. Such as, if you are wearing a 20-30lb strapless wedding gown, you should be properly corseted, and wearing some kind of body shaper or at least a decent bra under form fitting dresses. I can also say bad things about going barefoot. They sell party shoes and even flipflops for a $1 so there's no reason to be barefoot when you are wearing a dress that probably costs a couple hundred dollars. I never take my shoes off. I can dance all night in my sexy strappy sandals with three inch square heel. I'm old fashioned maybe.

Must get to the gym today!!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Sam, I completely agree with you, but your rant made me laugh. Don't forget the importance of making sure your dress FITS and is not 2 sizes too small. Just going to church, I'm surprised at how the girls younger than me dress (slipless, braless). The most recent formal wedding I went to, some were wearing dresses that I would consider casual beach wear. I think some people simply don't have a grasp of what is considered "formal" or "chic" or even "appropriate" anymore. Not saying we should all go back to the Downton Abbey days of ball gowns and dinner jackets, but putting effort into your personal appearance at a formal event never hurts.
  • samntha14
    Options
    Thank you Cowgirl. It's nice to know I'm not crazy. No gym but I'm under by 400. Tomorrow is a Beach day Woo hoo!
  • pesigrandi
    pesigrandi Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I did my third Stage 1 workout yesterday and was surprised to find myself not sore at all today. The first two workouts gave me a lot of sore muscles in the butt and quads though no real soreness in the upper body. Also, the prone jackknives were a lot easier to do this time around. Looking forward to the next workout.
  • breezedaze
    breezedaze Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    My daughter is getting ready in less than 3 weeks..in another province..I do not have a dress..these boobs do not make dresses work...now my shape has changed again..sigh. Oh well..I'll look like a blob for a night and move on. No pics of that on fb..lol
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I have had a totally repulsive food weekend and a totally awesome workout weekend.

Worked with the trainer yesterday - Beeps, I did single leg inverted leg presses and let me tell you, they hit GLUTES!!!! Try them. I used 50# plus whatever the rest of the apparatus weighs and my glutes are screaming!! RDLs tomorrow are going to be torture. We have some new equipment which is like using free weights but designed so you can use heavy weights without the danger of dropping them. He had me work pecs, shoulders and then I did assisted pullups - lower weight than ever before and I really am feeling them(assist machine you want to lower weights which means you are pulling more of your body weight)

But I had no willpower and I am over both days and macros just suck. I am really having a hard time eating well right now! I don't know why either. Usually I am very satisfied with a big salad and protein but recently I've just gone overboard with carbs!! :frown:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    1. I can't imagine the 'bulk-cut' cycles, either - I don't want them in my life. I really just want a SHAPE that I can hold onto, relatively easily, with 3 x per week weight-training and proper calorie-control.

2. sue - what are single leg inverted leg presses?? sounds like I want to do some....are they in Bret C's latest book, "Strong Curves" (which is sitting on my night-stand - that damn book is WAY too HEAVY to lug around the gym, frankly - so either I have to photocopy and figure out what I want, or somebody else - like SUE - has to do it for me!)

3. Weekend was terrible on the calorie front. Hilarious because I am SO UBER-CONTROLLED all day long - and the binge-blowback, in the evenings, is simply becoming unmanageable. I have to come up with a different "long-term" strategy because this isn't the solution. I've got one week until end-of-month reporting, so I'm going to be VERY controlled this week, but come July, I have to figure out a balance at higher calories more often (the low, low, low, SUPER-HIGH, low, low, SUPERHIGH thing is NOT working for me, anymore).

Today, i lift!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Where the heck is everybody??

My lifting session went great - was a little bit long, but that's because there was quite a bit of single-leg work in it. So, I'm fine with it running long once in awhile.

The sun was out - was tough coming back to work, knowing it's supposed to thunder-and-rain every evening this week (but be sunny and warm every working day - DRAT!).

Despite my eating debacle this weekend, my body is still looking pretty good. I think skin is definitely shrinking around some of the areas that have lost the MOST body fat. Well, that and the lighting at the gym is pretty forgiving....