Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• pearlmullet
    pearlmullet Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Yeeps, Beeps. That's a long time. :( But yeah. Please don't go blowing any cataract stitches, ok?

Lifting in and done. Nicest NSV: a trainer at the Y (female) complimented me on how 'tight' my push-ups were. Said I was 'really strong' and asked how long I'd been at it! So nice to be noticed like that. It's enough to make a girl blush. :blushing:
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    That's a great compliment, Pearl!

Beeps, I hope you'll keep visiting while you recover! I had no idea stitches were involved in cataract surgery.

Taking the day off. Might be forced to take tomorrow off, too. We'll see if I end up at a meeting I'd rather skip.

Today was a wild first day back to school. I'm gonna go crawl in bed and watch TV. It's gonna be a tough week.

Last night, I made a meatloaf and taco stuff. I just love beef :heart:
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Interesting thoughts from Lou:

The programs in Supercharged are better than those in Women. Alwyn will be the first to tell you that. (Or the second, since I was the first.) There's nothing wrong with those programs, but these will work better for most men and women.

Dietary needs? If she already lifts, and her weight is stable, and she's recovering from workout to workout, she probably doesn't need to change anything.

The argument that grabbed attention in Women is one I kind of wish I hadn't tried to make. New Rule #14 says, "To reach your goals, you may need to eat more." But then it goes on to talk about nutrient timing, which is something everyone thought was crucial when we wrote the book in 2006 and 2007, but doesn't seem as urgent now. Today we talk about total daily intake of calories and macros, rather than the number of meals or the specific timing.

Then in chapter 7 there's a formula for estimating daily calorie needs, something I wouldn't really attempt to quantify today. The more I read and write about weight control, the more complications I see.

My big point throughout that chapter was, "Don't automatically assume you need to eat less." I advised everyone to do Alwyn's programs for 4 weeks before changing anything. But to a lot of readers I think it came off as, "You probably need to eat more."

IOW, I was trying so hard to wave the caution flag about low-calorie diets that I probably made too strong an argument for higher-calorie diets. It's a great message for readers who're currently starving themselves on 1,000 calories a day. But it's not one I meant to make to everyone.
    Lou Schuler
    The New Rules of Lifting

I take from this, you may not not need to eat more, but make sure you eat enough. And when you eat isn't a big deal at all. Unless your me lol
  • samntha14
    Options
    Lifted Friday, rested Saturday. Bowling Sunday, Walking at Six Flags Monday, hip killing me today. No gym today because it hurts to walk and I have too much house work to do . They are doing some plumbing to my building tomorrow (No hot water), so everything has to get done today
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,997 Member
    Options
    I am not exercising right now, so I have lowered my calories (again!). I want to lose body fat during this forced rest period....and then, when I can lift, again, I will increase my calories, if necessary.
  • samntha14
    Options
    Sounds like a plan Beeps.

Slight muscle/joint ache, keep it moving. Could barely walk this morning, but I have too much to do. I guess carrying 30lb+ loads of Laundry up and down two flights of stairs worked out whatever kink I had.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    doggone it! I forgot to do the kettlebell swings!

The Sumo squats are doing their job at the moment. My inner thighs are screaming but I really want to incorporate some different and aerobic work in.

I am eager to do my measurements. FOUR more days. I know it won't be a great loss. My eating this month has been horrible. I don't mean calorie wise but WHAT I ate. (Too many homemade chocolate chip cookies.) Anyway, how do yall know you are measuring the same place? mole? birthmark?
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    My kids are with their Dad (my husband) getting their spirometry tests, etc. (asthma updates).

My daughter is one month away from age 11:
    102.8 lbs.
    144 cm.

My son just turned 12:
    77.8 lbs.
    146 cm.

THAT IS 25 LBS. of difference, in their weight, and they are virtually the same height.

:(

My daughter TOTALLY looks like a "perogie" and we did manage to "maintain" her weight this summer. (All the research I could find says not to bother trying to REDUCE a kids' weight, but trying to "maintain" that kids' weight, through a number of growth years, is a good idea....).

My son TOTALLY looks like a "string bean" and we are managing to "increase" his weight (which is necessary - he's had full adrenal suppression for sometime - as in years - and is BEHIND on his growth).

But, it's pretty hard to do what we're doing. People comment on my daughter's girth quite regularly. People comment on my son's lack-of-girth quite regularly. Everyday is an exercise in us NOT CARING what the hell people think, say, or do.

Just what we think, say, and do.

We're doing the right things. Trying to achieve the right results. Unsure if we'll get there, but we can only affect INPUTS. Their bodies will determine OUTPUTS.

Remember this, ladies, as you wander the world of nutrition/fitness. Be as DILIGENT as you can, about the INPUTS (i.e. your calories in, your exercise expenditures, your necessary 8-hours sleep, your appropriate management of stress, etc.). And, leave the OUTPUTS to the universe.
  • samntha14
    Options
    Great Advice Beeps. Sorry things are so tough with your kids. My kids a are both string beans, but polar opposites in the academic arena. Parenting is the toughest job on the planet no matter who you are. Best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • runzalot81
    Options
    Sam, thanks for sharing that feedback from New Rules. Very interesting!

Beeps, good grief. I have no idea what it would be like trying to serve the needs of such opposites!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Beeps, I hope you have a speedy recovery. Just follow those docs orders and stay well. On the topic of parenting, it sounds like you're doing things right. I'm glad to hear that there ARE some parents out there who take an active role in their kids weight/health without being overbearing.

Sue, hope you're enjoying 5/3/1.

Sam, that's some major definition you've got going on. And I completely identify with you as a pear. But, like Beeps said, we can change how our bodies appear. Those are interesting thoughts from Lou. But one thing I don't understand is that anyone could take his advice to mean anything but eat at a reasonable deficit or eat at maintenance. Never in his book does he say to eat above TDEE. If you're gaining weight, barring medical conditions or prolonged undereating, you're eating ABOVE maintence. Same with the EM2WL theory. They NEVER tell you can eat above maintenance to lose weight. You eat at a small deficit to preserve muscle mass, take breaks to prevent plateaus, and try your best to eat wholesome foods. I get tired of people saying eating "more" doesn't work for them. Of course it doesn't. Eating "more" doesnt mean eat more than you burn. If you're not eating at a deficit, you will maintain (which can result in slow recomp) or gain. End of story.

Sorry for that rant. Lou's comments don't necessarily address the full issue.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    chubby - I'm glad you posted that! It's a good, thought-provoking sentiment re: shortcomings in some of Lou Schuler's work(s) to date.

I *love* the lifting routines in ALL the NROL series that I have tried. And that is the *stuff* I still promote to (women, in particular) peeps that want to learn to lift!
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    hey my friends, happy hump day. Sam, Cowgirl and Beeps, and that is exactly my issue and always has been! I eat more than I burn, even lifting and spinning because the rest of the time I sit at a desk, or on a couch, or whatever.

It's my never ending battle.

Beeps I agree with you, I really enjoyed NROL4W, and I will most definitely do Supercharged sometime sooner than later. But I have to say that I'm totally loving 5/3/1 too. I think it's the lifting!!

Today, I benched 70# for the first time EVER! I did 1 set x 8 reps! Yea me! I can't tell you how awesome that felt!

Beeps did you look at Brett's glute challenge? OMG! He says anyone with a reasonable amount of fitness should be able to do it! HOLY CRAP

http://bretcontreras.com/30-day-glute-challenge/

I might use this when I am away on vacation at the end of September. MIGHT!!!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Some of my Venus sisters did the 30-day-glute-challenge....alas, i have not. Anything that requires an "every day" part to it, is tough for me - so I choose "no" to those. (Well, unless it's a dietary challenge - that part I can do everyday if I choose!).

I don't go to the gym everyday....so, it's a 'full-stop' on LOTs of challenges out there!
  • samntha14
    Options
    SUe you are kicking butt. I bow to the new master. Then again your are consistent in EVERYTHING you do. I'm not consistent in ANYTHING.

I was exhausted today but I will go to Zumba tonight and get back on the lifting bandwagon tomorrow. No kid care Monday and back to School Tuesday. Pray for me. Every year begins with some anxiety laced with excitement, but this year I feel whoa-fully unprepared even though I've prepared all summer long. I just don't know what to expect. Ok enough.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    just wanted to pop in with some of lifting SCORES! I am proud of myself and wanted to share.

The machine that works deltoids.. I started out "curling" 30 lbs." Today I bumped that up to 50 lb. I am pretty sure I can bump it up another 5 this weekend. But I can only curl 17.5 lb dumbbell per arm. I started out 10 on those. Major improvement.

Leg extensions: 45 lbs>>> 78!!

Skull crushers: 10lbs>>>20 I do have to use my opposite arm to support my wrist.

Assisted pull up 108 lbs >>> 84 (can't wait until I can get it to ZERO weight)

machine that works deltoids I could barely swing back 12 lbs. >>>48 lbs!! :bigsmile:

Plus , various other body weight exercises I have increased reps/set.
  • runzalot81
    Options
    I finished Stage 3 today. Didn't kill it or anything but it's done. Adjusting back into a work routine is tough stuff. My tummy is having a hard time with it, too :sick:

Manic, those are some awesome gains!

I love the latest discussion about calories. A couple of weeks ago, I decided to go with 1600 calories. I'm logging weight lifting as 1 calorie and eating back all running calories. It seems to be working.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Go, Mary! Awesome progress!

Runz, hope you found *that* number. Congrats on finishing Stage 3!

Lifted this evening. Was really losing patience with the kids, so I told hubs I was gong to the gym and took my frustrations out on the weights. I feel better now. TOM is a few days away- I am hungry, irritable, and stressed and my eating reflected it.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Wow, manic - those #'s are AWESOME! so glad you are seeing progress - that's always VERY MOTIVATING!!

runzalot - playing around with calories seems to be a CONSTANT (with me, anyway)....hope you've found what is going to work, for you.

chubby - good for you for going for that work-out! That's awesome!

I did a bodyweight routine from Bret C. last night after work. I could only get through 2 sets....my hips were ON FIRE. Poop. I took some tylenol almost right after....good thing, because THEN TOM ARRIVED!!

And, I'm now fasting (no food OR water) because my eye surgery is this afternoon. The fasting isn't bothering me....but, for some reason, I'm crampy with TOM, and the inability to ingest meds is REALLY bothering me.

:sad:
  • samntha14
    Options
    Way to go Beeps and Cowgirl!

Beeps, hope the first surgery goes well!! :flowerforyou:

I am weird that I don't have real body and diet hangups? Like most people, I would like my belly to be less giggly and my thighs to be thinner, but I sure as don't obsess over really anything.