Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I hit 83g Protein today!!! Had to eat 2 protein bars to get there.

Sam, have you tried name brand whole wheat tortillas? I think the brand is called Mission or something like that??? ( out of them or I would double check name) We really like those.

Beeps, you sound like my oldest daughter. She was tested several years ago. Poor thing she's allergic to everything in the environment except food. Dr suggested we take all carpet out of the house but we can't afford all wood floors . Although, we only have carpet in bedrooms.

Sorry, princes, it has been forever since I've looked in my books so I can't answer you.
  • mlerand62
    mlerand62 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies. I have been following this daily chat for a few weeks now. I am impressed with what you are doing. I have a few questions and I hope you can help me.

I am 51 years old, 5'8" and want to lose at least 70 more lbs. I keep reading about weight lifting so I ordered the NROL4W book and have read it.

I took a free class that the PT puts on to introduce you to the weight machines & free weights Wednesday. I could tell right away that she was not into heavy lifting for women unless you were training for something. Just not necessary. I didn't argue, I don't have to listen. However, here is what she suggested and I am asking if you think this might be a good idea until I do get familiar with the weight machines & room. I am definitely a new comer.

I told her I have to drive from the next town over, so three times a week was it. She wants me to do 50 minutes cardio and then 2 sets, 12-15 reps of 2 of the exercises she showed us per muscle group. I am going to try this for the first time tonight. I will try for M,W,F if possible. Never 2 days in a row.

I am thinking about trying this until the end of the year and then switching to the book. I am OPEN to ideas and suggestions. I know from following you that your suggestions will be worth hearing.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and answer me back. Keep up the good work. You sound like an impressive group of women.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    Here's what I did - hope it helps your thought process, mlerand62:

1. Do NROL4W as written.
    2. Get 10 x sessions with a personal trainer.
    3. Use personal training session 1 + 2 to have that trainer walk YOU through NROL4W stage 1 A + B work-out.
    4. Do Stage 1, on your own, as written.
    5. Use personal training session 3 + 4 to have that trainer walk YOU through NROL4W stage 2 A + B work-out.
    6. Do Stage 2, on your own, as written.
    7. Use personal training session 5 + 6 to have that trainer walk YOU through NROL4W stage 3 A + B work-out.
    8. Do Stage 3, on your own, as written.
    9. Do Stage 4, on your own, as written (it's a repeat of Stage 2).
    10. Do Stage 5, on your own, as written (it's a repeat of Stage 3).
    11. Use personal training session 7 + 8 to have that trainer walk YOU through NROL4W Stage 6 A + B.
    12. Do Stage 6, on your own, as written.
    13. Use personal training session 9 + 10 to have that trainer walk YOU through NROL4W Stage 7 A + B.
    14. Do Stage 7, on your own, as written.

That's what I did. It took 6 months to complete. I regret NONE of the choices I made, re: NROL4W.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    LOVE the kneeling lat pulldown - so much better than seated - you can really feel the difference in the core. If you haven't tried it, you should!

This sounds like a wonderful idea! Is it a version in the book that I missed or is it just something you came up with to make it more difficult?

It's in supercharged :-)

We aren't allowed to sit down in supercharged :-/ LOL
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Great advice with the personal training Beeps. I wold also stress that you need to find a trainer that is comfortable with your goals and won't try to change you to THEIR way of thinking. Given the amount of weight you have lose though, a larger deficit and increased cardio may not be out of the question when considering the book. In later books cardio is no longer a no no. That cardio can be as easy as walking/riding at a good pace around the neighborhood if getting to the gym beyond three days a week is a problem.

Falling on my face tired today and only have myself to blame. Just not sleeping enough. No gym for me anyway. Hubby will be gone until Sunday :(

On the bright side, random compliment today. Never really sure if it's a come on though. Walking out of DD with my half dozen Pumpkin Pie donuts, he says "hey you work out alot?" Why yes I do, over at LA. "It looks it, you have a great build." Thank you random stranger.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    samntha - that is an awesome complimentl

sleep. cardio. basketball.
  • manic4titans
    Options
    I have upped my cardio and I've noticed my hunger has increased. I didn't get my goal of protein in today. I didn't try hard enough. I chose ham and bread for a pre workout meal.

Sam, that's a great compliment. :happy: I probably would have said "yeah I work out a lot. Carrying these donuts around on my hips...."
  • mlerand62
    mlerand62 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Beeps - Thanks so much for your input. You put time into that and I really appreciate it.

Samntha - I agree that with so much to lose I don't want to stop with the cardio. There is only one personal trainer at my gym. Small town's have their downfalls.

Did my first workout tonight. It's hard to know where to start with weights. It felt pretty good, maybe too good tonight. See how I feel tomorrow. I definitely need to up some of the weights Monday. I'm thinking I will keep doing what the trainer suggested for now. I am anxious to get more comfortable with the weights and am sure I will get help from the other lifters as I get to know them better.

Thanks again for your comments.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Beeps you have a good process there- it would be great to have a trainer take you through the exercises.
    Mle- reading nrolw helped me to motivate - I like thinking Im working on a better me. I thought all my athletic " glory days" were behind me.- I can't run or bike anymore. But I can lift and it is very satisfying to track it and see how you have improved.

I am on vacation for the next week - looking forward to being with my husband and kids visiting the inlaws. I as hoping to finish stage 1 before this vacation but I will have one leftover workout pending
  • samntha14
    Options
    Before discovering New Rules, I met a trainer who wanted me in the weight room. Couldn't afford the trainer so I took his ideas and found a machine sequence online I thought I could do. Just that little bit of practice gave me the confidence to go in the "big boy" room when I did start new rules. Now the guys just get out of the way when the see me coming lol though I am very sweet when I say are you finished with that, and can you get out of my way. Going to try to watch my cals this week while I am not in the gym. I'll see how that goes.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I'm BACK!!!
    Just got to the weight room again yesterday. I was away for 3 weeks- first business, then vacation. The hotel for the business trip had a GREAT gym- I still need to get to TripAdvisor to compliment them for it. Vacation was in Italy and involved a LOT of walking- but no gym. It was major NSV- I am in such better shape now that the walking including a fair amount with steep hills was really pretty easy!!

OK so I started NROL4W over again yesterday, having basically completed Stage 7 before I left, though I combined the last 2 workouts into one. Beeps I love your plan. I am doing kind of a modified version. I went through the book first exactly as written (for the workouts). This time, instead, I am incorporating some suggestions/styles from the trainer I used last year before doing this plan. I don't really like the decreasing number of reps- so I have reverted to his plan of doing the workout in the book, but instead of starting with low-weight-high-rep I do whatever weight I can do about 6-8 reps, then keep that weight until I get up to 12, by which point I know I can increase it. I will see how that works with the new rules workouts. I just started it with workout 1-1 yesterday. I have a whole two weeks before my next business trip - woohoo!
  • samntha14
    Options
    THat actually sounds interesting, not increasing the weight until you increase the reps. i bet you build a lot of strength that way. Something to ponder.

Today's adventure, pumpkin pancakes. I love October. Funny, I was never a pumpkin fan before.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I can pack away A LOT of chinese food when I want to!!!

Eeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The sodium! The bloating! Thank goodness no weighing until Wednesday, lol!
  • manic4titans
    Options
    I keep my reps at 8-10 and when I can do those with somewhat of an ease, I increase slightly when I can. Most of the machines I'm using increase 12 lbs. A few machines have a small weights to increase. I wish the gym would buy more of those.

On the assisted chin up, I lowered the weight again :bigsmile: I started the weight at 96( about 3 months ago), and I did a total of 2 sets of 5 at 72 pounds Friday. Eventually I'll be pulling my own weight. I am over half way there.

Sam, I've always loved pumpkin. You need my pumpkin chocolate chip muffin recipe. It is NOT diet friendly but it is soooo yummy.

Beeps, I like Ichiban restaurant. Do you have one nearby? It's the only Chinese food I will eat.

Kathleen, welcome back!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Now I want Chinese food and pumpkin cheesecake(my favorite pumpkin dessert) after reading through this thread!

Sam, I would've kissed that guy!
    Kathleen, welcome back!
    Princess, kneeling pull downs are awesome.
    Beeps, I like your thinking. I wish I'd had a PT that knew heavy lifting to help me through NROL4W.

I'm most definitely NOT going to meet my 22% BF goal before I turn 30. As long as it keeps going down, I am ok, but the perfectionist in me is freaking out a little.
  • samntha14
    Options
    Now y'all are making me hungry! Pumpkin chocolate chip sounds awesome, I LOVE Chinese food, even if it is Americanized and full of MSG, and today we have my cousin's son's birthday party so pizza and cake for dinner.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Manic - my bookkeeper owns a Chinese restaurant in my city....and when we go there,she always brings out waaaaayyyyy too much food and waaaaayyyyyy more items than what we actually ordered! It's freakin' yummy as heck, though!

Chubby - you won't return to where you've come from, so now, whether it takes 3 more months or 13 more months, who CARES??? You look awesome! You are healthy and fit! Life is good!!

Hi Sam!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    OMGosh, Beeps! I'd be in pig-out heaven! Any type of Chinese is delicious! Thanks for the encouragement. You are very right- I've come further than I ever dreamed I would- weight loss and fitness wise. Today I picked my 50lb son up and put him on my shoulders at the zoo. My SIL just watched and said, "wow". It's those little things in life that are easier, better, and more fun that make being fit and strong so worth it.

Sam, I love excuses like bday parties to enjoy treats! Today was my dad's company picnic at the zoo and he brought all of us kids and grand kids. Got free hamburgers and cookies. Fun!
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I'm BACK! What an awesome 2 weeks! Lots of family and friends - old & new, LOTS of food but I didn't put on weight because I compensated. Not much exercise except for the walking, but I'm back and I'll lift tomorrow at home ( I have to be in the city very early for my annual mammo).

I MISSED ALL of YOU!!!
  • manic4titans
    Options
    Hi, SueBoo!!!!!:flowerforyou: :heart: :bigsmile: You've been missed you beastly woman!

I just ate 45 g protein in a single meal. I'm stuffed. Definitely over my 70 g daily goal.

Cowgirl, can I ask what is your bf% now? You look awesome.

Beeps, you are lucky! I bet the food IS awesome.

Sam, seriously PM your address and I'll mail you some 2 day priority later this week. Well, that is if I make them this week.