Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Sue, welcome back! I hope you enjoyed your vacation!

Mary, based on calculators, calipers, and comparing myself to others, I am in the upper 20's. Probably 28%. I have so much in my thighs and lower abdomen.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options

Mary, based on calculators, calipers, and comparing myself to others, I am in the upper 20's. Probably 28%. I have so much in my thighs and lower abdomen.

I. DON'T. BELIEVE. IT.

You look so much slimmer than 28% bf.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    calculators - not reliable

calipers - not reliable

Get a DXA scan to be "sure". And, yep, likely overall body composition is upper 20's....it's pretty tough to get <20% and, even then, your upper body might be, like 4% bodyfat and lower body at 26%, or whatever. If you can't get a DXA scan, do a bodpod.

All the rest of it is "noise".

(Although "comparing to others" is likely as good as any thumbnail sketch I've seen.)

I do plan on doing a "DEXA" scan by end of 2013, but I still have to reduce my bodyfat some more (in order to feel good, going in, about what the results might possibly be).
  • pearlmullet
    pearlmullet Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    In the absence of a good scan, and on the 'compare to others' track, this website is kind of helpful:

http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/

I upped my weights for split lunges yesterday and man! DOMs in the old quads and glutes. A nice NSV tho, another woman at the gym (there aren't many of us at my new place) said I was 'dedicated.' Asked if I was trying to become a trainer.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with "not knowing" what your bodyfat % is. I just know, at Venus, if you say, "I'm 22% bodyfat according to calipers, those Venus Veterans will JUMP ALL OVER THAT, because it just isn't true."

:noway:

I'm pretty sure I am LEAN upper-body, but also pretty sure I'm still 25% bodyfat lower-body. Which is just DEPRESSING. Alas, I'll get the DEXA to find out, for sure, and then figure out a 2014 plan on HOW TO TACKLE lower-body fat (when upper body is LEAN).

I think I'm gonna be finding it purdy interesting for 2014...
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Checking in because I'm dressed for lifting and don't wanna lift.

Body fat %... I'm at the crossroads of I Don't Care and Who Cares. It's an awesome place to be :laugh:

With that great attitude, I'm motivated to go lift. Thanks, y'all! :drinker:
  • manic4titans
    Options
    How's this for macros Carbs 58, fat 28, and protein 85!!! I think this is the best I've ever had.

I wish I didn't care about bf%. My lower body is so FATTY!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Hi Beeps!!

Yes, we pears are scrawny in the upper body and fatty in the lower body such is life. I just want to make it less giggly. My last "estimate was around 25% and that was the electrode thing that zaps you.

No gym all week. I'm under cals today, and my exercise was cleaning my house ans doing laundry. Now I have to go grade papers, sigh. Happy lifting ladies.

Oh, great increase on the protein Maniac!!
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I am on vacation which is actually stressful because we are visiting my in-laws. No matter what my hubby says. Or how much I like them after 13 years they still seem like aliens to me- no one reacts the way I'd expect them to and my hubby is on edge all weekend.
    As a result I've been trying new workouts- no gym and until today no pool. So I did some calisthenics and today I swam..
    My youngest daughter is 6 and she started pushing up to a handstand from a headstand... She weighs about 40 lbs but still I'm amazed..
    I am in the upper twenties bf% I think- I am afraid to get it checked and find out my bones don't weigh anything..
    I had it checked fifteen years ago when I ran 60 miles a week and was ((I thought ) in the best shape of my life, weighing about ten pounds less at 25%)
    Hope you all have a good week
    Good job working out even though you didn't feel like it runzalot
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Well I have yet to make it to the gym and all I did yesterday was more walking. Same today. I forgot I had a late meeting, home past my bedtime, so I skipped the gym today. I will get to bed early tonight and get in there tomorrow.

I guess I'm not truly pear - I have bosom (my sisters all claim I got it all).but I carry so much weight from my hips down. My thighs especially are very heavy - both my parents have/had heavy middle European lower bodies. It's really difficult for me to lose that flab too! I waiver between acceptance and loathing quite frankly! Even my thin sister - a true pear - carries extra weight in her thighs.

I have never had a bodyfat scan, I used calipers, percentages and that digital machine thing you hold out at arms length (gyms use them). But I know my bodyfat is down since I started - I don't know the actual true percentage but plugging in information on the same website calculator - and it was lower after finishing NROL4W. I don't know if there's a DEXA scanner or BodPod around anywhere. I doubt I'd spend that $ anyway. Runz.. I'm not quite to I don't care, but truthfully, my goal is to get to consistency (even when no gym is available) no matter what I weigh and do it all because I like me!

Pmag I have heard so many women say similar things about their in-laws. I'm so blessed! My MIL is the absolute best. We agree on lots of things and we get along famously! I'm so grateful!

Mary I know how hard it is for you to get that 85 gms of protein! Congrats on your efforts!! They are paying off!

Sam, I honor your teaching and I don't know how you do it quite frankly! You're a blessing to the young people in your classes!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    calculators - not reliable

calipers - not reliable

Get a DXA scan to be "sure". And, yep, likely overall body composition is upper 20's....it's pretty tough to get <20% and, even then, your upper body might be, like 4% bodyfat and lower body at 26%, or whatever. If you can't get a DXA scan, do a bodpod.

All the rest of it is "noise".

(Although "comparing to others" is likely as good as any thumbnail sketch I've seen.)

I do plan on doing a "DEXA" scan by end of 2013, but I still have to reduce my bodyfat some more (in order to feel good, going in, about what the results might possibly be).

You're right, but there's no point in paying $$$ to get a DEXA done unless you think you're close to where you need to be. All those other methods are great for "trend tools"- which is what I use them for. Just an estimate to make sure it's going down. When you look in the mirror and like what you see, that's the best tool. Then get the DEXA to confirm it if you want to shell out the money. When I see DEXA confirmed BF% pics, I'm always surprised at how high they really are. Us pears can really carry our weight well sometimes. So when people ask, I just give them an educated guesstimate of what my BF% is.

Mary, you're too kind. But my whole body still jiggles! Great job on the protein!

Sam, you are superwoman for teaching other peoples' children.

Sue, I hope you can get your workout in tomorrow.

I think I'm catching the kids' cold. Hopefully I can lift tomorrow.
  • ashley11scott
    ashley11scott Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Currently Stage 1 A5 @ 3x/week occsionaly 2x depending

It feels to easy only takes 25-30mins so do am I doing it right? also when its lunges i just so 15 one leg them switch 15 other leg is that cheating or same as alternating? The abs are way to easy as well i feel like i should be doing more but not sure if i should?

Thanks gals we are all bad *kitten*!
  • ashley11scott
    ashley11scott Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    No way I think more like 18-20% easy look at you!
  • manic4titans
    Options
    115 carbs, 27 fat, and 73 protein!!! Thanks Sue and Cowgirl.:flowerforyou: It means a lot that someone notices my effort. :blushing: One day I hope to get the protein as high as yalls. I would have to become creative though. I am a creature of habit.

Carbs are higher to day than I would like but that's what I get for eating Taco Soup (corn added) twice today.

No workouts for me today. Yesterday I was close to passing out while we were working in the yard after I had come back from the gym. So today I took off from the gym so we could plant flowers and spread "pretty" rocks.

Hi Ash! Yes the workouts seem easy and short. If you can safely increase your weights then increase without sacrificing good form. As for the lunges, I think that's fine. Everyone finds their own way on workouts. As for abs, if you can hold a weight on your chest or over your head that will help make them harder.
  • pikminprincess
    pikminprincess Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Got my lifting on yesterday and definitely feeling it today. Surpassed some of my husbands amounts that he lifted back in highschool so I feel pretty good about myself!
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    YES! Lifting done for today - upper body no new PR, actually felt great but so very tough - it's been 3 weeks since I've moved any weights. It will come back!

Mary, I eat loads of chicken, and I almost always have a protein supplement of some sort, either a drink or a Quest bar. But I also eat low carb so that leaves me more room cal-wise for added protein.

Pik, how to get that workout in, congrats on beating hubby's PRs

Ash, I adapted all my core exercises to make them harder - I hold a 35# plate when I do crunches, I do standing side flexions with a 45# plate and I do hanging leg raises since those are the hardest way for me. For back extensions, I hold a 35# plate too Early on, I had a tendency to throw the weights around, instead of lifting, pressing or pulling with control - in all directions. Making sure I'm controlling everything actually slowed down the time I spent on each set and made it harder too!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Today, I lift!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Ash, the workouts are pretty quick and may seem easy at first. Like Mary said, increase those weights (with good form!!!!). I wish they would've given more options for the core exercises in NROL4W. There's some great ab exercises in Supercharged- maybe mountain climbers, add some planks, or something like that if you want more of a challenge? But also make sure you're using your core properly on all the other exercises to get the greatest benefit. This is something that I wish I would've realized sooner.

Sue, way to go!!!! Doesn't it feel awesome to get back to the weights?

Beeps, go kill it!

Mary, that's still a great ratio and a good number. When I first started tracking protein, I think I was getting like 50 grams a day. No wonder I was always stuffing my face! I eat so much chicken and Greek yogurt now, it's ridiculous. I had more than a lb of chicken breast throughout the day yesterday. But it was only about 800 cals for 100+ grams of protein. Build in some veggies and beans, rice and fats around that and you've got your macros. But it gets very boring (and expensive!) to eat this way everyday. That's why I give myself a break on the weekends.

Princess, way to go! I love telling my hubby about how much I lift! He's never lifted so to him it all sounds like a lot, LOL.

I will do my second workout of 4X5 of DLs and split squats today. Looking forward to it. My DLs are still at 165lbs, but that's now about 10lbs more than my BW.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I found a weight room at my mil's apartment complex. I had to use db for my deadlifts but I finished stage 1.
    Here's my stats squats 75--120
    Deadlifts 55-110
    Seated row 40--90
    Lat pull down 55--90
    Shoulder press 10--17.5
    Lunges 10--22.5
    Box 10--22.5
    Jackknives x 25
    Push-up x 20
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Daaang, those are impressive stats! Nice job!

I think we should start a challenge- from now until thanksgiving. Maybe a "choose your own goal" challenge? If we started Monday, that would be 6 weeks until Thanksgiving week.