Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• LovePBandJ
    LovePBandJ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I don't even want to LOOK at a scale! I am focussing on my macros and my jeans :) When the scale is invited to the party, I become so obsessed with what the scale thinks. I prefer to know what my jeans think.

Looking forward to round one, week two. :)

Jill
  • LovePBandJ
    LovePBandJ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Hello! My name is Emily and I am starting NRLFW on Wednesday the 8th of January. I BELIEVE I understand the training schedule and am totally pumped to start! I am not necessarily a 'beginner' to weight lifting, but I have not done weights like this in I think 8 or so years. So, I am going to call myself a beginner and do 3 rounds of each work out :)

I am excited to start and if there are any tips I would love to hear them!

I joined this group to make sure that I am doing things correctly :) I must admit, that the book is sort of confusing :p

I agree, the book is confusing.

Jill
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    When you get into the program you'll find it less confusing - honest!

Then when you think you've got it, you move onto supercharged...... and then you ain't got it all over again, LOL. That's me right about now
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Did anyone find Workout B of Stage 3 a bit easy...I'm just back from the gym... I didn't even break a sweat... bit disappointed!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,995 Member
    Options
    I'm going UBER-low in calories, today, in part because "date night" is now Wednesdays and I want some tid-bits of yummy food for supper! I'm also going to lift, today, so because I'll be completely fasted and no hope of eating calories (until supper), I don't think I'll be banging out any PR's today....

My "NO EXCUSES" challenge is keeping me VERY HONEST for January, 2014 - which I really like. No, I do NOT think my human condition could have me carrying on this sort of challenge forevermore, but I TOTALLY think I can do it for 3 more weeks!

BOOM!
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Beeps, what is the 'No Excuses' challenge? Or rather, what does it entail?
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Hope you had a good date night. Man I need one of those.

I've been eating very light this week, but today we had an international buffet at work and I loaded up. I've felt sick ever since.

I had a kick-*kitten* lifting session last night!
    Wide DL 3x8@120
    Under Lat pull 3x8@105
    Bulgarian split squat 3x8@25
    YTWL 3x8@5dbs
    static lunge 3x8@25dbs
    I felt badA$$

I hit zumba tonight. Always a good class but she had a new apprentice tonight. This poor girl had zero rhythm. The class basically stopped when she took over. Let's just say that if she is taking over fr the Thursday instructor who is leaving on maternity, I will switching to Friday.

Newbies who may confused about anything, just ask :)
  • alericmckearn
    alericmckearn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Ok, ladies. I need some advice.

I've been lurking on this board since about July when I started NROL4W. At the beginning of December, after only 2 workouts into stage 6, I pulled my pec-minor. The pain went from my shoulder blade, under my armpit, and underneath my breast. Needless to say, no lifting for me for a bit. Right around Christmas, the pain was mostly gone and I felt that I could resume my lifting. No, I got a really bad cold instead. I'm just now starting to feel normal again.

So, here's my question: where do I start over? I was SO PSYCHED about finishing the program. But starting over on stage 6? Moving on the stage 7? It just doesn't seem like the right move. Should I start over completely? Maybe do abbreviated versions of stage 4 and 5? What would you do? TIA!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    synthialou - the "NO EXCUSES" challenge is pretty simple:

1. eat (by week) ONLY the calories alotted (I use the Venus Index calculator to come up with my calorie number ~ you can use whatever system you want); and
    2. lift 3 x per week.

That's it! This challenge only runs for 1 month. No, daily "perfection" isn't expected, but, by week, it is!

BOOM!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    samntha - yep, your numbers show, FOR SURE you had a KICK-*kitten* workout!!! Nicely done!!

BOOM!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    aleric - I only got through 1/2 of stage 6 (shoulder issue). I went on to complete Stage 7 - did it TWICE.
  • WillLift4Tats
    Options
    That sounds like a pretty excellent challenge, Beeps! I always liked viewing my goals in the week format, as it's so easy to feel defeated and overwhelmed if you go over one day. But viewing it as a weekly goal helps refocus on the long-term. Thanks for the info, I think I might take up that challenge personally :)

Samntha: WOW. Those numbers are hella' impressive!
  • WillLift4Tats
    Options
    I completed my Stage 1, Workout B for the first time yesterday. Gotta say, I'm really loving the routines! It's funny; on paper, I was almost a little underwhelmed with the layout. Going in and completing them in reality though....WOAH. I am not disappointed. The book should really have a little side-note: CAUTION: Workouts on paper may be rougher than they appear. Or rather, will be!

One question though. Do ya'll like the ab-portions of the workouts? I liked the prone jackknife, but the swiss ball crunch seemed stupid easy so I went ahead and added on to it. I'm sure they will progress further into the stages, but for now, I felt like I needed a bit more.
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Synthia...for the abs on stage 1 I did P90X Ab Ripper workouts. The jack knife hurt my wrists badly, and I found those choices monotonous.

Second day of 102 fever. I am down with Type A Flu - this is just great!!! A lot of good the flu shot did, though I have not been ill for a looonnggg time!Now I have to wait for all this to pass, meds and etc...ugh!!!! Cannot wait to get back to starting Stage 2

Lift on ladies! You never know what you have till it is gone (ability to smell, non-achy joints, no migraine headaches et al) :sad:
  • samntha14
    Options
    Aleric, I was fortunate enough to get hurt ate finishing lol, but I see where you are coming from. Like Beeps said, I would either doe stage 7 or just chuck it altogether. You can start over with an abbreviated stage 1 (four workouts instead of 8) or try one of the other New RUles books or another program. There are many programs that the ladies here have moved onto. Remember that NROL4W was written quite some time ago, and Alwyn improves with age, meaning all of hi NEW stuff is based on new research so they are worth a look. That being said, I AM SO GLAD I started with 4W because I felt like it was perfect for a beginner like I was.

Synthia, Again ALwyn has completely changed his attitude and approach to abs in the later books. You can do whatever you want in your abs portion of our workout. I use the moves and ideas in the ABS book and LIFE. I now START my workout with my abs workout and I do plank variations and some other things like dynamic stabilization. I also don't do the intervals. I go to a zumba class every week for my cardio and that is an hour worth of intervals. I figure I'm set.

bepee, that es no bueno. The real flu is sucky. I really hope you feel better quick.

I decided to take a rest day instead of hitting and extra class tonight. I was asleep on my feet. In fact my eyes are open now but I'm really asleep as I type. I want to be energized and on point tomorrow when I lift so I can have another kick-*kitten* workout.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Here's a link to the "PLANK PROGRESSION FOR KILLER ABS" piece that I always refer to when I think my ab-work is getting "easy":

http://www.wannabebig.com/training/general-physical-preparedness-core-strength-and-conditioning/plank-progressions-for-killer-abs/
  • RedBess
    RedBess Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    As much as I miss my boyfriend when he is in UK (four months this time :-() I am happy to be back to normal life.

Got my lift on this morning. Followed it with 30 minutes on the Elliptical. I then did a 12km run in my VFFs after work. My macros have been great, I have kept my protein up all week which is awesome.

Feels good to be back!

Have a great weekend everyone!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Red, I love routine. Anytime my DH is off work or gets home early it throws us off. I totally understand you being glad to have "normal" back.

Aleric, I would start stage 6 again or just go to 7. Really depends on your goals.

Beepee, feel better!

Sam, totally hardcore weights! Love it!

Synthia, if I ever do NROL4W again, I would not being doing crunches. Jackknife or pike, planks, side planks, planks with pull down, and mountain climbers are so much better for me. You can make all of these progressively harder.

I'm debating on doing my usual Supercharged workout today and then lifting with my friend (NROL4W Stage 1 Workout B) tomorrow. The NROL4W workouts just aren't as intense- maybe I will just add some HIIT.
    Cut has resumed- only 300 cals below TDEE. So far, so good. My waist is deflating 12 days in already and the scale appears to be moving.
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Synthia...for the abs on stage 1 I did P90X Ab Ripper workouts. The jack knife hurt my wrists badly, and I found those choices monotonous.

Second day of 102 fever. I am down with Type A Flu - this is just great!!! A lot of good the flu shot did, though I have not been ill for a looonnggg time!Now I have to wait for all this to pass, meds and etc...ugh!!!! Cannot wait to get back to starting Stage 2

Lift on ladies! You never know what you have till it is gone (ability to smell, non-achy joints, no migraine headaches et al) :sad:

hope you are better soon, at least the flu is protecting against H1N1, which is the severe strain circulating right now....
  • samntha14
    Options
    Hanging out, all dressed up waiting to go to the gym. Thinking I should wait a little longer so I don't hit rush hour. I guess because of the horrible weather, the gym hasn't been completely crowded with newbies. I like Friday nights though because it is already less crowded. I feel awake but a little head-achy. I really was half asleep last night when I was typing. Does any part of that entry make sense LOL?
    I'll report in when I get back :)