Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year everyone. I'm here but I'm sick so not been doing anything :-(

I knew the stress and losing weight etc would come and bite me and it has. Been ill over Christmas, my birthday and NY and it still hasn't let up. On 4th lot of antibiotics.... my immune system is at rock bottom. So fed up. Just wanting to be back to normal and having fun with my kids these hols and starting afresh with lifting. Sulk. Today I am going to invest in berries and all kinds of 'immune boosting' foods..... hopefully will be back soon xxxxxx
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Jo - hope you feel better soon. It is especially hard being sick over holidays :(

I absolutly hate step ups, and second is the lunges. I thought anything involving legs would be my downfall but I love doing the squats with a bar. I know I am only 75% through Stage 1 but am feeling my pants getting tighter, kinda the opposite effect I wanted being pear shape.
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I am soooooooo sore today! Not "pain" sore, but I'm definitely feeling it. Someone please tell me that my body will get used to this as the weeks progress!! :P
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,998 Member
    Options
    I don't do step-ups - I'm quad-dominant already. Don't need MORE quad-work!

I don't do most lunges, either....although I do curtsy lunges because my glutes seem to FIRE with that particular lunge-style.

I've given up bulgarian split squats, but may give them a whirl, again (I read that the placement of the front foot - closer or further from the bench - can change glute activation).

I can do wide-legged squats to engage glutes - otherwise, it's all quads.

I have a sh*tty body for most squats - very long-legged and very short-torsoed. But, that also means I can deadlift like a CHAMP!
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Just realised their are in fact lunges in Stage 3 - I had overlooked the Body Weight Matrix....... Doing my first Stage 3 Workout A this evening...... Hoping I still enjoy it!!!!!

I have pretty good quads - I can feel the muscle in them... I'd skip lunges and step ups but I don't want to deviate from the programme as its written. I think when it comes to designing my own programme after NROLFW I might avoid these exercises!!!!!

Oh also - what weight did people start YTWL with? It says low weights, but I'm not sure how low to go - I used 4kg Dumbbells for the Cuban Snatch?
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    You miss one day lol. I love seeing how active everyone is and hearing about your goals. Thanks for the advice ladies. I want to got to Supercharged actually so I can be Cowgirl when I grow up (especially now that the book is finally available in paperback). I entered a raffle to work with a PT. He was my friends coach when she did fitness. FIngers crossed. I think I'm at a point where I need a coach. I've pretty much have gone as far as I can on my own. HOwever, CCG, I will look at those programs you mentioned. Sue busts out those PRs like it's nobody's business. Not crowded at the gym...yet. We are under a foot of snow so nobody is going to the gym right now. Glad I got to zumba last night.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    lawlorka - I did NROL4W as written, too....deviation from program is NOT my strong-suit!

samntha - can't wait to hear about your "supercharged" PROGRESS!! BOOM!

Today, I lift! Actually, I'm doing a BOSU + weights workout that I pulled from an old issue of "Oxygen". Am meeting a gf to work-out....this RARELY happens, so we're gonna try something new to both of us!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Lawlorka, I didn't deviate from NROL4W either. It's written that way for a reason. Now that I am semi-designing my own workouts in Supercharged, I avoid lunges and step-ups and do more split squats and (assisted) pistol squats. I started with 2.5lb weights for the YTWL. I think I worked up to 7.5 eventually. But you don't want to go heavy at all for those. Focus on FORM- I learned that the hard way :)

Jo, feel better! What a bummer to be sick through the holidays. Hope you can get back to "normal" soon!

PT, you will find that the soreness eases as you get a few workouts into each stage. But at the beginning of each stage....ouch!

Sam, I'm flattered. But I would LOVE to be as lean as you. You would kill Supercharged, but I think having a PT would be AWESOME! A person to keep you motivated and check form would be so productive. I hope you win it!

Beeps, that sounds FUN! I love taking a break from the norm.

Probably won't lift today- got a sick little one. Hoping I can at least keep moving. It was cold and windy yesterday, so I was stuck in the house with my feverish 2-year-old trying to find things to do.
  • sleepyjen
    sleepyjen Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    At the risk of sounding silly, what's ytwl?

I'm totally sore from pushing it yesterday. So pt , for me that never really ends, but varies in intensity.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    google "ytwl exercise"

click on "images" tab

There's some drawings that show the 4-arm placements.

In NROL4W, you do it while front facing on an inclined bench, with dumbbells in hand.
  • sleepyjen
    Options
    Ahhhhh. And here I figured it was another workout routine, lol.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    All BLOAT is gone and my waist is back down to <27". So, YAY!!

Now, I really CAN start moving bodyfat off me.....I'm doing scheduled cardio today, but then need to REST, because my fast on the 2nd and my low-low-cal day on the 3rd totally f*cked with my sleep.....

Need to fix SLEEP more than anything, or it DERAILS EVERYTHING!

BOOM!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    You got this Beeps!!

I can officially say zero weight gain over the holidays :)
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Ugh, sleep. Ya that's a big part of the fat loss equation. That and stress. Hopefully you can get it all figured out, Beeps!

Sam, way to go! That's when you know you've mastered a healthy lifestyle- when you can make it through the tempting times without veering off course.

Got my lifting done. Was able to bump my squats back up to 135 for 2 sets of 6. I realized today that I have regained so much flexibility through lifting. Things that I couldn't do are easy now. I'm sure much of that is from weight loss, but I know it has to be partially related to being stronger and pushing my body to the limits with all the lunges, squats, single-leg work, etc. Yay for agility!
  • sleepyjen
    Options
    I did b8 today and celebrated by overrating ardunner tonight. I look like I'm going to give birth, as my husband joked, to dim thin small like a garden gnome. What's weird and I guess awesome is that my poor distended gut is super firm, thanks to dull the lifting. Lol.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    THREE cotton pickin weight gain over the holidays for me. BAck to the gym Monday.

My daughter situation has turned for the worse. We cut her off financially and she hasn't contacted us in 2 days . It is hard to do this but she wants to play grown up she can pay for her own way.
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with the sleep thing. Impossible for me to lose weight if I'm tired all the time. Finally got to te gym today too and wasn't busy at all, which was great. Although I went down 2 reps, didn't increase weight except row and squat, two week break for ya.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Jen, your post made me lol!

Manic, I will keep praying for her! I can't imagine the stress you're under right now.

Terri, I hate coming back after a long break.

We've got snow again. This is our third snow this year. Pretty unusual for us.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Yay for those of you with "no gain" over the holidays! And "cheers" to those of you who are heading back to the gym and watching your nutrition in order to lose more bodyfat - I'm right there with you!

It's -40C here today, sue....the sun is shining, though!
  • sleepyjen
    Options
    I tried out my snowshoes today, once I could finally move again after last nights meal :) it was fun!

Off for the next week in New Orleans, so I'm planning on gaining at least a pound. See you next weekend!

Good luck with your daughter, magnalift!