Replies

• samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    LOL Beeps, sounds awesome.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! I'm still in holiday mode - last night several of the women in my riding club met for dinner, I did sort of ok, except that I ate too much bread - homemade and fresh out of the oven with olive oil to dunk it - I couldn't resist. Had steak & scallops for main meal with steamed veggies and a salad, and then dessert - raspberry bomb, which I shared with others. Very yummy, loads of fun!

I lifted yesterday - it's my deload week, no heavy lift at all, not main lift, not accessories. I did OHP, and for accessories, flys on the pec deck, seated rows, tricep extension, face pulls and abs. It felt great, my concentration was on form, but I still got a great workout in.

Today is a rest day so I'm doing laundry, wrapping the Ohio family Christmas gifts and cooking for NYE party. Then, after I put away all the wrapping stuff, I'll run the vac and wash the floors - dang that all sounds very ambitious!

Sam, you should see if there was any sort of disclaimer about that when your husband signed up for the race, if not, he should be getting royalties for using his pic!

Beeps Happy Birthday to the hubby!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Beeps, I think I need a "nothing but coffee day" myself. Your dinner sounds amazing! At least since you weren't in a ravenous mood and could taste it without wanting to eat ALL of it.

Sue, sounds like you've had a great (yummy) weekend. Enjoy your "rest" day!

I'm so frustrated right now. Several people I know have bought into the "pink drink" craze. I don't really care what other people do, but one person has her Type 1 diabetic daughter on it. When you start giving herbal supplements to a teen attempting to override a bad diet, there's a problem. I don't know if I should say anything or just stand back and watch. The nurse in me wants to give them a piece of my mind, but at this point they're convinced it's a magic cure-all. The company claims that it has cured diabetes, ADHD, acid reflux, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc. What a bunch of crap! I cannot believe people believe all this. UGH.
    Thanks for letting me vent:)
  • sleepyjen
    sleepyjen Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    What's pink drink?
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I've decided to eat hazelnut bourbon chocolate pie everyday. My lifts we improved.

I don't know what a pink drink is either
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    I dunno what pink drink is either....
  • suelegal
    Options
    Cowgirl, that's such a hard place to be. Were I in your position with your medical background, I would speak to the mom. Explain that although it makes those claims, there's no such thing as truth in advertising, that the junk doesn't require FDA approval, they can basically claim anything they wish, and that it could be seriously dangerous to her daughter's health.

I've accomplished some of what I set out to do today - most of the laundry, some of the food for the party, some of the gifts wrapped. I did get through all my dresser drawers and cleaned out piles of socks that I don't wear or that were singles, abandoned by their mates. I also put together a few bags of clothes - the Lupus Foundation is doing a collection in a couple of weeks so I'll have plenty to give them.

It's about time for bed for me - DLs tomorrow!
  • sleepyjen
    Options
    I'm wrapping up the regular stage 1 workouts this week and will have to skip the specials as I'll be out if town. Next week's a rest week , then stage 2. I just looked at it and it looks terrifying!

I'm a little concerned that I'll have to start with the 45 pound barbell for the squat push press, as the lighter ez curl bar isn't ling enough to set in a rack. Any tips?

Also, what do you use at your gym for the wood chop?

Thanks!
    J.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Pink drink is also known as "Plexus". It contains a bunch of "natural" ingredients (hoodia, etc). There's no actual research done on it, it has some questionable ingredients in it, and it's a "quick fix" diet drink that will. The only positive reviews you can find are from the people selling it. Its being touted as completely safe for everyone including breastfeeding moms and diabetics.

PM, that sounds like a great plan:)

Jen, I loved Stages 2&4. I used the tall cable system that adjusts up and down to do the wood chop. Does your gym have the smaller Oly bar that is 25lbs (or 35lbs)? It's long enough to go in a rack. I'd recommend looking at videos on form for the FSPP. It's a tricky movement. Make sure when you do the front squat squat, the bar is resting in the grooves of you deltoids- keep your shoulders pushed back and down and your chest up so the bar can come across the very top part of your chest. It took me a very long time to get the form right on them. Enjoy!

Sue, sounds like you got a lot done. Enjoy your DLs. I've decided to just keep my mouth shut unless I'm asked. It's a sticky situation- these people are somewhat distrustful of medical professionals even though they themselves have no education at all. I'm concerned and I will voice it if it comes up.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    chubbycowgirl - I'd totally keep my mouth shut!! Let other people do whatever they are gonna do - and you keep doing what you wanna do!

Today it is back to logging and counting and exercising and ALL of IT! I'm ready....here we go!
  • sleepyjen
    Options
    That stuff sounds shady.

I found the thing to do the wood chop today. There are a few other long barbells in the gym but I don't know if they're lighter or not. I'll have to check them out.

B7 today. I upped my dead lift, lunges, crunches, shoulder press. So tired now!
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Two more workout in Stage 2, and moving on to Stage 3. I took a little longer than usual, simply b/c of the holiday season I could only get two solid workouts in these last two weeks. Reading to get back on track, and knock Stage 3 out of the park. My podiatrist wants me to stop deadlifts, and squats altogether. He said they put undue stress on your feet, and ankles. Unless you are trying to compete there are better options, but I love them, and am not giving them up. I told him that, and he said just be aware they cause tiny hernias in the fat pad of your heel, and to watch them closely.

He also is giving me a good arch support, because I have (I can not remember the technical name) Barbie doll foot. I walk on my tip toes, and a weak Peroneal tendon (makes my feet want to turn out like first position in ballet) With this and the strengthening exercises he has provided. I hope to take some stress off my knee without surgery.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    sleepyjen - aren't the long Olympic Bars all 45 lbs (without plates)??

nancyrose - I haven't heard of anybody having problem with their heels from deadlifts and squats - get your doctor to show you that research....I do hope you are working out with flat-soled shoes, though. My big lifts improved 1,000-fold once I was in flat shoes (rather than cross-trainers or runners).

I got my lifting in-and-done....it took me 90 FRICKIN' MINUTES!!

BOOM!
  • sleepyjen
    Options
    I thought so but cowgirl is talking about a non Olympic barbell.
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    lol@ Sleepyjen about the stuff being shady

I also do not know of the squats and lifting
    My plane got from vacation got in at about 3am, and I had to wake up at 5 am for work. Yipes!
    So tonight, there will be no lifting for me. I need to get this zombied-out feeling out of me.
    Hitting the sack early tonight. Sssooooo sllleeepppyyyy!!

Happy lifting all!!!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    I thought so but cowgirl is talking about a non Olympic barbell.

Yes, there's the standard 45lb Oly bar and then a shorter 15 KG, smaller diameter Oly bar (http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-bella-bar.php?utm_source=amazon&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=ProductAds). I had to look it up to see the exact weight. They're both "Olympic", but the one is a "Women's" Oly barbell. My gym has both. I like the 15kg for some things(front squats), but I like the wider weight distribution of the 45lb bar on most things.
  • sleepyjen
    Options
    I will have to check. In the meantime I may not get all my lifts in this week--lots of snow headed our way for Thursday. My ability to lift will depend on timing, but since the spouse and I share one car, even an afternoon-starting storm will be an issue as I don't want to have to drive in the snow to get him . I don't particularly like snow driving. So perhaps the shovel and I will have to suffice!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I hope our office releases us a bit early, today....it's super-cold, super-snowy, the roads suck!

Anyway, happy new year to all you heavy-lifting ladies!! 2014 is gonna be AWESOME!
  • suelegal
    Options
    Our offices are smack dab in the middle of Times Square - I worked from home today and the office itself closes at 1PM - it was crazed last night, and from past experience, it will already be overcrowded even now!

I hope you get out early Beeps and home safely!!

Yesterday DLs, good mornings, walking lunges, back extensions and upper and lower abs and obliques. Deload so not super heavy but I feel it all today so I know it was a great workout - I did slow reps and focused on form. Today, early spin class that was high tension - OMG it always kills me after lower body lift day!

Tonight I am going to a party with my club sisters - I'm making deviled eggs and a lasagna. There's other great food there and I'm saving the rest of my cals because I want to eat it all! I won't stay late because I leave tomorrow early for Ohio to have late Christmas with Mike's mum, son and nephew and families. I still have to finish wrapping.

Wishing each of you a safe and happy new year and indeed Beeps 2014 is going to be our year to SHINE!!
  • sleepyjen
    Options
    I ran/walked 3.43 miles in 13 degree weather this morning! Happy new year, everyone!