Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Hello I did stage 5a-third wo today. Any advice about bench press? It is my worst lift and I somehow went backwards on it this stage.

I couldn't fit in the body weight matrix this am too much rest in between sets. I will finish them this evening.
    Happy and healthy new year to everyone!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    YEah SUe, New YEars is NOT a day to be in Times Square. Leave it for the tourists. I'd rather go during Christmas or on a hot Summer night. The energy is ALWAYS there.

Hope you are home snug and warm Beeps. We got a dusting here today as well.

PM, sometimes you just have days where you have to back off the weight. You'll get it back next time. I have trouble moving up those weights too. It's that one lift where I need a spot and I prefer not to have to ask and just keep it low.

I didn't make it to the gym today. hubby finished his vacation challenge and got home after the gym closed early today. They close early tomorrow too. Screw it, I'm on vacation. I think my goal for 2014 will be hitting a 200lb Squat and DL. First goal for Jan will be 140lbs
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Sue, I can't imagine living that close to all the hubbub this time of year! Must be exciting!

Beeps, I hope you got to go early. It's been a colder than usual winter for us- can't imagine what it's like up there!

Pm, I think most women struggle with the upper body exercises. I am just now at 35lb dumbbells for 6 reps. Just keep at it- make sure your form is good. Don't worry about increasing it as much as making sure it's serving it's purpose (working those shoulders, arms, chest, back.

Sam, those sound like great goals. Have you considered switching to a program that is specifically strength-oriented like the one Sue is doing? If you want PRs, I'm reading that there are some better programs other than NROL. I I like that all the NROL programs rotate through rep ranges, but I think you might have great results with other programs too.

I won't be staying up to ring in the New Year. Had a very busy day at work and I'm on call until 11 tonight. Tomorrow I will do DLs(my favorite!). Hopefully I can do 2 or 3 sets of 165lbs.
    Have a blessed New Year everyone!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,998 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year! I'm off to lift....

Samntha, I agree with CCG (my 2014 acronym for the "chubby cowgirl" misnomer....), there are better lifting programs out there if hitting high PR's is your aim.

Go get it, ladies!

BOOM!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Wow, it's quiet here today!

Got my lifting done. I did 1 set with 155lbs X 6 and 2 sets of 165lbs X 6. That's 15lbs more than my body weight- yay!
    Tomorrow I will take end of month pics and measurements. I only lost 1 lb in December, so I don't expect to see much change.
    <
    finally getting a tiny bit of definition in my arms.
  • sleepyjen
    sleepyjen Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I had an off day today but ate like a workout day....yesterday it was waaaay over. Oops.

Lim planning on lifting tomorrow morning and then getting some stuff fine before the snow really flies. Instead of running on Friday I'll be shoveling and snowshoeing!
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Happy New Years everyone, I'm not new to MFP but I'm new around this group. I just started stage 1 this afternoon. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's results in the months to come!
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year everyone!!!

Finally finished Stage 2 yesterday after 2 weeks break in the middle for Christmas!!! Stage 3 starts tomorrow!!!

I really hated workout 1 of Stage 2 so I'm glad that's over!!! I'm also really happy to see that there are no lunges or step ups in Stage 3 :) I think I'm going to enjoy it.

I'm not going to bother giving starting/finishing weights of Stage 2 - I made next to no progress - the break in the middle really set me back!!!!
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Happy 2014!!

Welcome to the group Ptery!
    Lawlorka, Stage 2 is done already? Good for you!!! Do not worry about the break that may have set you back, you will bounce back in no time!!

I begin Stage 2 come Monday...I will go to the gym today for a prep session, check my form, what weights/machines to work with and do a dry run.
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Happy 2014!!

Welcome to the group Ptery!
    Lawlorka, Stage 2 is done already? Good for you!!! Do not worry about the break that may have set you back, you will bounce back in no time!!

I begin Stage 2 come Monday...I will go to the gym today for a prep session, check my form, what weights/machines to work with and do a dry run.

The rest of the stages are so quick compared to stage 1!!! Its really good, you don't really get a chance to get bored of a routine. Only 4 A workouts and 4 B workouts, and then its onto the next stage. I lift 3 times a week so only took me 2.5 weeks to get through the stage (with a week break in the middle so 3.5 weeks in total)
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Yay for "definition", CCG!!

sleepyjen....snowshoeing is pretty fun....

lawlorka - step-ups are still one of my LEAST favourite exercises!

No lifting today. But, yep for tomorrow!
  • sleepyjen
    sleepyjen Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    A8 today! It went well but I'll reiterate the loathing of stepups.
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Need to go to the gym today. Took about 1.5 weeks off (travel and weird gym hours) and have gained some Christmas weight. Dreading the "New Years Resolution" crowd. Anyone experienced it yet being January 2?
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    terrie - there wasn't that many peeps in my gym yesterday....so, I don't know, yet. But, I *do* know that when I hit my cardio class on saturday morning, it will be a NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTION GONG SHOW.

Ugh. 6 weeks of trying to locate "parking space", a "bench", and a spot to call my own.

Blech.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year everyone! I was asleep by 11:30 and spent all day yesterday on the road headed out here to Ohio. We had about a foot of snow overnight so today Cody, my 10yo grandson and I shoveled snow for about 90 minutes. We make a great team. Came in and he made me a peppermint mocha latte. Last night we hung out with Mike's nephew and his family - eating at Famous Dave's and gabbing for hours. Love those kind of meals. I finally finished all the wrapping (it always seem to take forever!)

I too hate step-ups but I still do them! They really work my quads a.nd that's what counts! Sam, I love 5/3/1 but StrongLifts 5x5 is another great program too! I am gymless for the rest of the week but I see Scott has his DBs out so I can do some SLDLs and goblet squats and pushups etc.

I think of all the NROL4W Stages I liked 3/5 the best.

Ok, off to hang out with my grandson.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Bikini Competitor Chick at the Gym and I were talking about the New Years crowd yesterday. I seriously hope they all stay, but I know they won't. Yesterday was really busy for my gym.

Jen and Lawlorka, I hate lunges and step-ups too. I mean, I feel like they're more a cardio/quad exercise. I don't get much out of them. I like to do other things for my glutes and hamstrings as doing squats tends to hit my quads enough.

End of month measurements and pics are done. Nothing too major to report. Although I only lost 1.4 lbs this month, I'm down a little in the hips, down .5 inches in the "mom pooch", waist is the same (it's holding steady at 28", dang it!), down a little in the calves, but I lost .8" in my chest- where I DIDN'T need to lose. I'm hoping the chest loss in from fat around my back and not from the boobs, LOL!
    The frustrating thing is that according to the BF% calculators, I've lost 3+ lbs of lean mass with my most recent 10lbs loss. I realize that it's only a very broad estimation, but I've been maintaining all my lean mass up to this point (according to the calculator). My guess is that maybe as I get leaner, the numbers are becoming more accurate and I was losing mass (or maintaining the lower number) during my weight loss. To lose an entire 3lbs of lean mass in 10lbs doesn't sit well with me.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Options
    Chubby that is a bummer! Are you estimating bf by measurements?

Sue it sounds like you are having a nice holiday

Beeps and others more experienced than I how did you decide what to do after New Rules? Supercharged seems obvious but Id like to look into a few others I need to follow something

I did stage 5 7A

Looking forward to stage 6!
  • Pmagnanifit
    Options
    Oh my gym hasn't been busy but I go very early
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Pm, yes I'm just using the calculator that uses measurements. Up until now, my weight loss corresponded with BF% loss and with very little lean mass loss according to the calculator. But not recently.
    I decided to do Supercharged because it's more well rounded than the other "strength" programs. There some type of HIIT with every workout. Since I am still in "fat loss" mode, I wanted a program that I could do 3X week, get some good calorie burns along with strength, but not have to do separate cardio to stay in shape. If I were in maintenance mode, I would be doing a more Strength-based program like the 5/3/1 or the All Pro workouts(http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/12707-all-pro-s-beginner-intermediate-lifting-routines). Eventually I will do Strong Curves- probably with a bulk next Fall. I think Strong Curves is a great routine if you want to maintain weight or bulk while changing your overall shape. It's written for women who want to build their booty and curves.
    I'm sure others will have great advice. I'm still trying to decide what my next step will be.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Pmagnan - I think you should go for "supercharged"....the methodology in there makes a TON of sense!! (It was too much "D-I-Y" for me, so it sits on the shelf....but, if you can organize your work-outs, it'll be a GREAT lifting work-out!).

CCG - I purchased "Strong Curves", too....but it is TOO HEAVY to drag around and I'm TOO LAZY to photocopy the pieces that I really need. But, I incorporate MUCH of the "strong curves" moves into my current work-out....