Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    MAde it to the gym today, even with ice covering every surface. Streets are decent but you can skate on the sidewalk and it will be a bad week for weather all together. Apparently 16 people have died from the arctic cold. So important to be safe and dress warmly. Back to work tomorrow. Only worked one day last week and I am so ready to get back to routine. he plan is to be at the gym four days this week. I like being at work, when I'm not working lol. I'm a creature of habit and I need my routines. Even though my weight didn't change, I know I ate like crap. My macros totally sucked and I feel unhealthy. I may have met my calorie goals but not my nutrition goals.

Had a good lifting session. Weights felt good, and I did a kneel to stand with the 25lb bar for an interval though I only did two sets on each leg.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Manic I hope all is well with your daughter-

I lifted yesterday and tomorrow is my last stage 5 workout. I am planning on stage six- and thinking about goals. Hope everyone is happy and healthy
  • cheshire29
    Options
    Newbie here. Just in case anyone is interested here is a but of my back story:

I lost 40 of the 80 lbs I was hoping to lose about a year and a half ago. Since then I haven't been very motivated or inspired to continue. About a month ago I started to feel my drive return and this past week committed to giving it a try again. I am up 12 lbs from where I left off and so I would like to lose 52 lbs over the next year.

Started logging my food again yesterday and am aiming for tdee - 20%. Aiming for 40/30/30 for macros and have come close so far. I've done my first a and b in stage 1 and am feeling good about the program so far. Luckily I used to lift when I played sports in high school so this isn't too foreign. The hardest part of this for me will be getting to the gym. It is a 30 min drive from my house and my work schedule is pretty crazy. I was able to rearrange my hours a bit so I should be able to make it to the gym 3 days a week.

I've read a few of the last few pages and was inspired to see so many people working so hard. Just wanted to introduce myself and say keep up the great work!
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Welcome Cheshire, sounds like you have some great goals. If you can get to the gym 3 times per week that's great. I do a lot of workouts in between at home with cardio DVDs etc. Once you've figured out how to juggle it, its just a matter of showing up! xxx
  • RedBess
    RedBess Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I am so very happy the holiday season is over. Time to get back to normal. Well, almost… my boyfriend is still here until Thursday before heading back to England. BUT, I made it to the gym this morning and will go for a run this afternoon. This was my first real workout in 2 weeks or so. I have run in between, but not made it for lifting. So, I have made the decision to repeat Stage 1 before moving on. I made great progress in how much I am lifting and am very pleased, but I don't feel like moving on since I didn't really finish it. I may not do the full 16 workouts, but I would like to do Stage 1 a few more weeks and then move on.
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Did my first Workout A of Stage 3 last night.... LOVING IT.

Though I could only manage one round of the bodyweight matrix. It took me over 4mins to do and when I went to walk over to a chair to do the rest period my legs almost buckled under me! So I think I'll work up to that one!!!

But I definitely think I'll be able to see some gains in this stage.

I'm also amazed at how much more confident I am at the gym now. I have no problems wandering into the free weights area any more even for the first stage of a workout when I have my book with me and don't know what I'm doing or what I need! I even managed to get in on a bench without much trouble and being the only girl there, it seems I had the luxury of scaring all the boys off as even though it was busy people left me to use the bench by myself even though there were probably 3 people to every other bench!!!!

I have lost 5lbs of water weight this week so am back down to my pre-Christmas weight and ready to tackle this stage head on. I really hated Stage 2 so its nice to be looking forward to workouts again!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,998 Member
    Options
    Pmagnan - I'm excited to read what you think of Stage 6.

cheshire - welcome!

RedBess - Stage 1 can get long (and boring)....don't be afraid to push on!

lawlorka - the BWM is just a b*tch. I still remember it with terrific NOT-fondness.

Today, I lift, but later than usual as I have a lunch-time teleconference.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Newbie here. I'm 32 and have about 10 lbs to lose. I just finished day 4 of the first stage today. I am planning on lifting 3 days a week and 2-3 days of some kind of cardio on the other days. Looking forward to seeing my muscles finally!
  • LovePBandJ
    LovePBandJ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I just started New Rules this week. So far, so good. I like that it seems to include my previous lifts that I know are primary and important lifts.

Looking forward to working my way through this program, now, if I can just figure out the logs!

Jill
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Welcome newbies
    Good jog Laworka

I finished stage 5 today

1 armed db snatch 22.5 to 25 #
    db single leg rom dl 15 to 20#
    BB bent over row 60 to 70#
    db single arm overhead squat 7.5/15to 15/27.5#
    db incline bp 20 to 22.5
    rev wood chop 20 tp 25#

BB Rom deadlift/Bent over row 75 to 90# (105 x2)
    wide grip lat pulldown 90# to 90!!!!!
    back extension 125# to 135
    YTWL 7.5 # to 7.5 #

It felt like I made more progree in my lift, but I guess I had more times where I backed off. It was fun. I am looking forward to stage 6.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Very impressive #'s, Pmagnanifit!!!

I did get my lifting in-and-done, but had to change-up the routine a bit....or it would have gone on FOR-EVAH!!! (No can do when I'm in a deficit....nevermind that my boss probably wants me at my desk and not at the gym....)

BOOM!
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Had today off so lifted earlier than normal (plus 930 pm volleyball tonight, ugh). Finally, since the beginning, a month and a half, I have moved up on lat pull downs!!! So excited, didn't think it would happen before the end of stage 1.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    The holidays are dead and over, I finished reading the book last night, and today after work I'll complete my first workout! I'm super pumped!...and a tad nervous to be honest. I've always enjoyed strength training in the past but never had a concrete plan to follow so I never really progressed. I'm looking forward to growing strength and power with this program but I must admit that I have a fear of the unknown. I know it's been debunked time and time again, but I just can't seem to get that fear out of my head that I'll get thicker, not smaller, and that terrible word "bulky" instead of more slender. I hope that as I go through the workouts and rediscover the fun and powerful feeling of lifting, that'll I'll just forget about that voice or it'll be drowned out.

Either way, I'm ready to get started!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    WOW!! Welcome to all of the new people. Happy New Years. NROL4W was the best resolution I ever made...two years ago.

Beeps you crack me up, at least you got it in!
    PM Nice stats!! Is your YTWL total weight or per hand? I hate that one. I never progressed on it. I do the first four like it nothing, then I do the second 4 in the most pitiful form possible.
    Synthialou, just start friending folks here and looking at photo albums, that will cure the fear of the bulk. I lost am way smaller than I ever was.
    My first piece of advice to all newbies: Lock your scale away, don't look at it, don't step on it for at least a month, or better, forever. This is NOT a weight loss program, but you will most likely love how good you look and how strong you feel when you are done.

Rest day for me and boy are the DOMS getting me today. In fact I think I need a nap.
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Good advice, Sam.

Congrats Pmag!!

I started Stage 2 today...was a bit awkward as it is new ....I will master forms first afore adding weights...but hoping to get better with time.

The gym was packed, but not as badly as I expected :)

A warm welcome for the new ladies and happy lifting!!!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    samntha - I think you and I started NROL4W the same time! (I began right before end-of-December, 2011). Gosh, it has been >2 years, already (I was doing Body for Life all fall, 2011) and I must say that I began THIS january 1st in the BEST SHAPE OF MY LIFE.

So, THAT is how I know 2014 is gonna be MY YEAR!

BOOM!
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Wow. My first workout was...amazing! I never knew I could feel so challenged without doing any cardio, but man I really broke a sweat! I think it helped that my husband pushed me to try harder. I asked him to help me make sure my form was correct through the different moves (he's a trainer), but going beyond that he pushed me to try weights I never would've tried on my own, and I still made it through all of my reps (except one set and we lowered the weight at that point).

Afterwards, I was thoroughly exhausted and pretty proud of myself. Can't wait for more!

Thanks Sam! The scale will probably be my biggest temptation, as I still have a goal to lose 9 more pounds. :grumble: But I'm trying really hard to shift my mindset to fitness goals and nutrition goals, rather than a scale goal. Just like the bulky voice, its a much louder voice with many more years behind it.

I hope to get to know you ladies much more in the coming weeks :) Just lurking through the threads here is inspiring, so thank you all.:flowerforyou:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    http://bradpilon.com/weight-loss/the-truth-about-calorie-deficits/

^^^ This is what I BELIEVE. (This was in my in-box this morning.)

BOOM!
  • emilyc85
    emilyc85 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Hello! My name is Emily and I am starting NRLFW on Wednesday the 8th of January. I BELIEVE I understand the training schedule and am totally pumped to start! I am not necessarily a 'beginner' to weight lifting, but I have not done weights like this in I think 8 or so years. So, I am going to call myself a beginner and do 3 rounds of each work out :)

I am excited to start and if there are any tips I would love to hear them!

I joined this group to make sure that I am doing things correctly :) I must admit, that the book is sort of confusing :p
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    emilyc - welcome to the "daily chat thread"....I tend to talk about 1,000 other things BESIDES NROL4W, lol.

I'm off to piano lessons....don't ask....it's been about, what, 30 YEARS since I had one!