Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Beeps, hope the DOMS isn't too bad.
    Sue, hearing your stories about spin class and seeing how Sam loves Zumba- it makes me want to try some of the free classes at my gym.
    Protein...eh, I haven't done so great lately. I usually average around 130grams/day, but I think it's been more like 100 lately. Macros have been crazy.
    Lifting this evening. It's been a brutal day at work- I need some stress relief.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,004 Member
    Options
    20131219_zpsbf5eb023.jpg

^^^ I'm titling this selfie "thin-line thursday".

Seriously, in REAL LIFE, that line was D-E-E-P.

BOOM!
  • sleepyjen
    sleepyjen Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Wow, beeps!! Amazing!
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I've had too many glasses of wine, pasta and butterscotch pudding today-/ and I took a three hour nap.

Back to lifting tomorrow Im bringing my Dad to the gym!
    I've been struggling with my mood- but I'm happy to have my parents visit for the holiday.

Rocky I love my foam roller!

Uhmmm carbs and nap...... I have the hard grey one which works great although it hurst so much. Glad to hear you are enjoying your parent's visit.
  • rocky503
    Options
    I had a FUN lifting session today - while I'm in between stages (starting new one Jan - too much on atm), I thought I'd just pick a few and get an hour in.

So I did 15 mins intervals (treadmill), then 3 sets of 10 each on swiss ball rollouts, squat jumps (18kg), DLs, push ups (feet elevated) & Bulgarian spilt squats. Then was running out of time so did 2 sets of 10 for shoulder press and the side plank row from supercharged. Very hot here today (43 degrees C) so the sweat was epic, lol.

Nice to mix it up a bit, and skip the bits I don't like so much. That said, it'll be good to refocus after xmas.

Where are you that you get that lovely warm weather?
  • rocky503
    Options
    20131219_zpsbf5eb023.jpg

BOOM!

NICE!
  • rocky503
    Options
    Went dress shopping today, toggle between a size 6 and 8 or small & medium. I did find a couple of items but frustrating overall since most of these dresses aren't built for hips. It can be very difficult to find stuff being pear shaped, long waisted and shot legged. Kinda of a borderline misses/petite situation and I have yet found that clothing department.

I might post a picture this weekend in one of the dresses.

Good luck ladies as we go into the final days til Christmas
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Please post pics
    Beeps your arms are great

I finished stage 4
    Front S Pp 45 to 60 not Olympic bar though
    Step up 22.5
    Db 1 pt row 10-17.5
    Static lunge rear foot up 10-17.5
    Push-up 15
    Cable horizontal woodchop 15-25

Wg dl 95--125 mixed grip
    Bul ss25-25
    Under hand lat pd 90-90
    Rev lunge box for reach 10-17.5
    Db prone cuban8--10
    Planks to 90 s
    Prone cobra to 120s
    Side planks to 60s
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Beeps, Amazing! You need to send me your workouts. I'm bored with the one my son has had me doing.

No one answered my question so I'll ask again:

I am not getting DOMS anymore. Do I need to change the workout or greatly increase weights?
  • sleepyjen
    sleepyjen Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I don't get it as consistently as in the first few weeks, manic, and generally feel it only when I up weight.
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Looking good Beeps!!!
    20131219_zpsbf5eb023.jpg

BOOM!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    manic, DOMs is not a sign of "good work" or "bad work"....there's an article someone pointed me to, but I'd have to locate it. Some people (i.e. ME) get DOMs no matter what. Some people never get DOMs.

Also, have you added some supplements into your program?? BCAA's or L-Glutamine or creatine?? I've heard these can diminish DOMs, too. In fact, I've been on L-Glutamine for 1 week to see if it helps (so far, I've noticed no regression in my DOMs, but it's only been 1 week).

I hope EVERYONE starts posting selfies!!!! HOW FUN!!!!
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Lifting this am was great! I have been watching some great Dead-lifting videos, and it works! The gym was very empty as well...had lots of fun. And now off to my monthly massage session...mmmm....
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    20131219_zpsbf5eb023.jpg

BOOM!

BOOM indeed Beeps, that's impressive! I'm envious!

Mary, I'm with Beeps on this - I think some people just don't regularly get DOMS and some do. I take all the supplements you named Beeps - BCAAs during workout, L-Glutamine in my protein drink after and creatine as a supplement to help my old body keep the muscles I've made. I'm not sure they "prevent" DOMS - I get them all the time, especially lower body - upper and lower glutes, hams a quads, but I KNOW the BCAAs interworkout keep me energized - not speedy like an amphetamine, but I don't tire as quickly as when I'm only drinking water. I found out rather by accident - I ran out and my order didn't arrive as expected, so I worked out with only water one morning and wow I just had no energy to finish! I know some of it might have been due to sleep issues etc, but it was surprising to me just how much I was affected.

I'm not getting in 4 lifting workouts this week.- I had scheduled today as my bench day but I went out with gfs last night and didn't get home until 10:30, then spent another hour or so talking to hubs, so a 4 AM wake up just seemed ridiculous. MAYBE I'll lift tomorrow and Sunday, but that just depends on what I accomplish - I have so much to finish up for the holiday!
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I had a FUN lifting session today - while I'm in between stages (starting new one Jan - too much on atm), I thought I'd just pick a few and get an hour in.

So I did 15 mins intervals (treadmill), then 3 sets of 10 each on swiss ball rollouts, squat jumps (18kg), DLs, push ups (feet elevated) & Bulgarian spilt squats. Then was running out of time so did 2 sets of 10 for shoulder press and the side plank row from supercharged. Very hot here today (43 degrees C) so the sweat was epic, lol.

Nice to mix it up a bit, and skip the bits I don't like so much. That said, it'll be good to refocus after xmas.

Where are you that you get that lovely warm weather?

South Australia :-)
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Here is how I did in the "Striving for my Svelte" challenge:

Start of Challenge Weight: 147 lbs
    Challenge Goal Weight: 135 lbs
    Working to Lose (lbs): 12 lbs

09/23: 147.0
    09/30: 146.2
    10/07: 145.6
    10/14: 145.4
    10/21: <<<mini goal weight: >>> 142.0 - UNREAL - I bounced to 149.8 TODAY.
    10/28: 150.2 (even WORSE than last week!)
    11/04: 146.6
    11/11: 149.2 (this was after Halloween stuff, so it's "ok"
    11/18: <<<mini goal weight: >>> 138.5 - I'm a full 10 lbs too MANY! 148.6
    11/25: 146.8...nearly 2 mths to get BACK to where I STARTED!! SHEESH!
    12/02: 148.8...ugh!
    12/09: 146.8
    12/16: 146.8 - holding steady!
    12/23: 147.0<<<challenge goal weight: >>> 135.0

I kid you not!! I literally weighed EXACTLY the same amount of scale-weight, at the beginning of this challenge, as I do right now.

meaning: I seem to have MASTERED MAINTENANCE.

THAT would be totally awesome, if that were my goal....but, I'm 10 LBS from goal, so, shyte, I still have to KNOCK THAT WEIGHT down come 2014, lol.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Beeps, your muscles are popping! Woohoo! I love it. You will do great in 2014. I'll try to post a selfie later.

Sue, I don't know how you can cram 4 workouts into any week. I barely can get my 3 and my schedule is pretty flexible.

Beepee, that's great that you got a good session in. Love in when I have one of "those" sessions when everything just feels "on".

I was able to do 3 reps of 175lbs on my DLs last night. Probably could have done 5, but my friend was watching me and my concentration was scattered. It felt great to lift something really heavy after doing the 15 rep workouts with her.
    I'll lift tomorrow AM if we don't have much ice. We're under an Ice Storm Warning. Gotta love living in the southern midwest.
    I seem to be in self-sabotage mode lately- I bought Peppermint Oreos and made some snowman sugar cookies for the kids. I was running late this morning and just stopped by Starbucks for "breakfast" (my 11 o'clock meal) and then agreed to eat out for a later lunch with my SIL. Sigh. Something about the Holidays just makes me want to stuff my face with junk.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    In the program I am following, the author states "don't try to diet during holidays. You only beat yourself down." (a lot of paraphrasing) Therefore, I am trying to maintain my TEN pound loss :bigsmile: .

Beeps, it kills me that you and I are the same weight but YOU ARE HOT! and If I am not mistaken, you are a good 4 inches taller than me. LOL What challenge are you in? Your own?

Sue, I've been thinking about you and your diet. You say you don't want to cut just yet due to possible muscle loss. I have read many articles that state to have a deficit , cardio, and weight lifting is recommended. According to my knowledge, the only way to lose muscle loss is ketoacidosis and/ or starvation. We all know not to cut all carbs out of our diet and to keep our body fueled. I believe if you did a 200-300 deficit you would be fine. What do you think?
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Beeps that is frustrating but seems cyclic- do peaks correlate with menses?
    You might ask Sarah and side steel at eat train progress group for advice They have helped people through plateaus
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Looks everybody has been so busy. YEsterday we walked approximately 3 miles in Manhattan having the time of our lives, eating the world's best Pizza, giant pretzels from street vendors, and waffles and dinges YUM. The kids saw Santa at MAcy's in Herald square (always a wonderful experience), rode the ferris wheel at the toys R us in Times Square, watched the ice skaters in Bryant Park , and then stood under the tree in Rockerfeller Plaza :)

Today I kicked off my vacation with a long winter nap.