Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Everyone seems to be doing great and looking fantastic!

I did Stage 2, Workout A2 yesterday.

I didn't enjoy it as much as I did the first time - but that may have been down to the fact that it took me 10mins to find any matching DB at suitable weights and even then the DBs I found for Step Ups were just a bit too heavy so I couldn't complete the full 2 sets. So it put me in a bad mood.
    I also really really hate the static lunges with the foot on the box.... so much so I was halfway through my 2nd set and actually contemplated not finishing. But I did, but its making me dread the next one!!!!
    Happy with my FSPP though, made it up to 20kg, struggled with the last two reps of the second set, but really happy with my form. Going to try an empty Olympic Bar next time.

So here's what I got to yesterday

FSPP (2 x 10 x 20kg)
    Step Ups (1 x 10 x 14kg, 1 x 5 x 14kg)
    DB 1pt Row (2 x 10 x 8kg)
    Static Lunge (2 x 10 x 8kg)
    Push Ups (2 x 10 x 30degrees) Form is really improving
    Planks (2 x 60s)
    Cable Horiz Chop (2 x 10 x 10kg)
  • sleepyjen
    sleepyjen Posts: 679 Member
    Options

I managed to do well at work, but I made the mistake of keeping my cals a little too low while I was there. Ate lunch at 1200 and when I got home at 430, I was grabbing everything in site(I carb binge when I get too hungry). Several m&ms and some cereal later, I was able to control myself, but I definitely wasn't planning on using 500+ cals for junk today.

I ate a boatload of chinese food last night. Oops. I was at if not over workout day calories, without having worked out :) I think this week is going to essentially be a wash--it's exam week.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Life is always a little hectic at this time of year, but I am managing as good as it gets. At this point just trying to maintain through the holiday. Stage 2 workout A was great, but B last night was a little on the boring side.

Confused on what the difference between a static lunge with rear foot elevated, and a Bulgarian split squat can someone clarify?

Is it just simply the height at which my rear foot is elevated?
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,007 Member
    Options
    nancyrose - yes.

Also, particularly with the bulgarian split squat, it really is VERY different for every person how FAR away from their bench that front leg is supposed to go! So, really understand what MUSCLES you are supposed to be working with the BSS - and then EXPERIMENT with putting your front leg out REALLY far vs. CLOSER in, etc, etc.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    nancyrose - yes.

Also, particularly with the bulgarian split squat, it really is VERY different for every person how FAR away from their bench that front leg is supposed to go! So, really understand what MUSCLES you are supposed to be working with the BSS - and then EXPERIMENT with putting your front leg out REALLY far vs. CLOSER in, etc, etc.

OK, Thanks!

Another question I thought of as I was reading your response.

On the Reverse Lunge w/ Forward reach it feels very weird to me. I just step back off the platform, and reach my arms forward to chest level at the same time right? I feel like it is not a deep enough lunge to really be doing anything good. Can you recommend a good youtube video that shows this move clearly.
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Lifting Day!!!

Just did my second Stage 2 Workout B and I enjoyed it much more this time round (probably because I had a nice empty gym and knew what I was meant to do!!!) The Cuban Snatch still baffles me, pretty certain I'm doing it wrong - it feels wrong. But made some gains today so I'm happy.

WideGrip Deadlift on box (2 x 10 x 40kg)
    Bulgarian Split Squat (2 x 10 x 10kg)
    Overhead DB (gym has no Lat Pulldown) (2 x 10 x 5kg/db)
    Static Lunge with Forward Reach (2 x 10 x 7kg/db)
    Cuban Snatch (1 x 10 x 5kg/db, 1 x 10 x 3kg/db)
    Swiss Ball Crunches (2 x 10 x 10kg)
    Reverse Crunches (2 x 10)
    Lateral Flexion (2 x 10)
    Prone Cobras (2 x 60s)
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    nancyrose - I don't have any youtube.com stuff that comes to mind....that channel is blocked through our office firewall, so I don't get to youtube very often!

Doesn't bodybuilding.com have an online video-dictionary of moves, though??

lawlorka - sounds like you are improving every time! Nice!

I do get to lift, today....then a busy weekend....enjoy yours!
  • sleepyjen
    sleepyjen Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Lifted yesterday, B5. Today's a long day of socializing and grading put on hold--I'm not even sure I"m going to bother counting, it'll be too much like work since I'm not doing any of the cooking myself. We all get the occasional day off, right? I haven't taken one since summer :)
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Dropping in to say hi all and happy crazy days! I've been so busy at work, we had a mock trial and then mediation prep and then trial prep on another case. My eating has been all over the place but I have at least been able to workout! Nothing spectacular, no PRs this week but some good solid barbell work and strong accessory work! Tomorrow I do squats.

Nancyrose, try ExRx.net and as Beeps says, Bodybuilding.com has an exercise database. AND here's a youtube video but it's not from the box. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjPQgIQMhlE That was a difficult move for me in Stage 2!

I'm sorry I haven't been around much lately. I am trying to stay in touch but failing miserable.

I have 3 parties to cook for and go to this weekend. I will probably not log, since as Jen said, I am not doing any of the real meals myself. I have been trying intermittent fasting to give me extra room for these holiday bashes! Partially successful.

Hope you all have a great weekend.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!!
    Well I'm still lacking motivation to go further for myself. It's funny how when you don't know what way to go, fate steps in to give you a push in the right direction. I think I mentioned that a friend of mine just joined my gym, she and her boyfriend. It's kind of nice reconnecting with an old friend and having someone around to keep me motivated IRL. I may not feel like working out for myself, but teaching her the ways of the force will keep my going. It's the teacher in me. I'll find my own success through hers :) I had so much fun last night teaching her the basic moves (she didn't bring the book with her), and just talking about fitness and lifting. Very cool.

I did manage to get my workout done; final WO S3B:
    RDL/BOR 85lbs
    SIngle Leg Squat 10
    WLPD 85lbs
    Back extension 25
    YTWL 5x2 dbs (I HATE this exercise)

I know I've been saying for over a year that I want to become an instructor. time to really take it seriously. I like learning and I like teaching more. I guess I'll never get away from it LOL
  • RedBess
    RedBess Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    The Christmas season is killing me… or at least it is killing my workouts and eating. Had planned to go for a run between work and work party but go stuck working later than planned and had to rush home from the office to shower and change for the party. Had planned a long run today, but after being at the party last night until 2, then waking up a 5:30 (not from an alarm, just my body's happy-wake-up time regardless of when I go to bed) and really feeling the one too many glasses of wine I had that didn't happen either. My boyfriend is back for the holidays… he is studying in the UK until June… so I am hoping that will actually HELP keep me more on track as he will at least go run with me. I missed my lift on Friday as well, and that is making me feel worse. I know it isn't the end of the world, but I like my workouts (most of the time) and I really miss it when I cannot get at least something in. Am hoping to do better this week.
  • suelegal
    Options
    Whoop, new PR for squats! 105! Felt great too and did 10 tho the last one was REALLY hard to push out! Accessories were inverted leg press, SLDL, abs and flexions all either with higher weights and strong form, or increased reps. Today is a rest day.

Bess, I'm struggling too - too many parties with too many sweets and cakes etc. I just can't resist. So I'm continuing the workouts but I'm giving myself permission to eat. And I'm the same - today, the only day I could sleep in, I'm awake at 5:15. Thankfully I went back to sleep for a couple of hours.

Another party today. I'm making my famous deviled eggs, and there will be good food to concentrate on - veggie trays, and chicken, turkey and I think she said fish! I will try to steer clear of the pre-meal munchies and eat the meats and veggies and only 1 dessert (she makes KILLER choc. chip cookies!)

Hope you all are having a killer weekend!
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I had to take six days off due to pain and my last workout Tues I was sooo tired. I used a mixed grip for the first time on my dls today and had a pr at 110 lbsx 5
    I was happier at the gym than I have been for a long time
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Hi , ladies. Tomorrow I jump back on track. I've sabotaged myself the past few days. My oldest has decided to make some very heart wrenching adult decisions. She won't move back home. It's difficult to see her throw away what she knows is right and the best for her. But she has people on the other side whispering in her ear..... Anyway, our trip was cut short last week. We were visiting her but turned around and came back home. i 've been in the bed since. My husband would bring me food and my little girl would bring me the junk :grumble: :happy: gotta love her though. She was only trying to make mommy feel better.

I hope I haven't lost all motivation. What interested me before seems so distant.

OK ENOUGH BLUBBERING

GEt your lifts going tomorrow and I'll be here to cheer you on.
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options

Can't get away with no baking here. I am thinking of going on a baking strike to see if my 5th grader would get desprite and learn how to bake herself. she has no interest but she and hubby need their cookies....

I can't either, but I love baking! And, as far as my intake goes, sometimes coeliac disease has its advantages, lol. I can't eat any of it so I don't need to worry. However, Christmas usually generates an influx of wine and chocolate...... which I consume in vast quantities :drinker:

I hear you Jo, I love baking but have cut way back since its' not the so great for me and most every body else around. I even tried to get into no calorie things like beading and candle making...... I have been indulging in the grog lately too.....but really two more weeks and the holidays are done so feeling good right now with my intake. :drinker:
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Hi , ladies. Tomorrow I jump back on track. I've sabotaged myself the past few days. My oldest has decided to make some very heart wrenching adult decisions. She won't move back home. It's difficult to see her throw away what she knows is right and the best for her. But she has people on the other side whispering in her ear..... Anyway, our trip was cut short last week. We were visiting her but turned around and came back home. i 've been in the bed since. My husband would bring me food and my little girl would bring me the junk :grumble: :happy: gotta love her though. She was only trying to make mommy feel better.

I hope I haven't lost all motivation. What interested me before seems so distant.

OK ENOUGH BLUBBERING

That sounds tough Manic as it has sent you to your bed. I hope you can make peace with your daughters decisions and let it be. Although it can't be easy. I am not looking forward to days like that with my own either, but be in your life and take care of yourself and well being. Plus you have a little girl who sounds so worried for you.
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Manic...All will be well...You have to hope for that....

Whatever I had, must have been a bug or something, has slowly abated!! Yayyy!! I only have a few sniffles left, by by Jupiter, I will hit the gym today come rain come sunshine! I am going to repeat the last week of Stage 1!!!! It has been one long week! Be gone bug....hellooooo weights! I have missed you!!! :drinker:

OK ENOUGH BLUBBERING

That sounds tough Manic as it has sent you to your bed. I hope you can make peace with your daughters decisions and let it be. Although it can't be easy. I am not looking forward to days like that with my own either, but be in your life and take care of yourself and well being. Plus you have a little girl who sounds so worried for you.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options

OK ENOUGH BLUBBERING

Manic, I'm sorry. I'll be praying for you and your daughter.

Beepee, glad you're feeling better.

Sue, congrats on the PR! That's some killer lifting!!!!!!

We made a last minute trip out of town Thursday and Friday. It was filled with my MIL's homemade bread and pecan pie. Saturday we picked up my Christmas Present- a new SUV- so my eating was very random between doing the paperwork etc. Then Sunday was a 5-year Survivor Party for my friend who had breast cancer 5 years ago. I ate horrible, but I'm still maintaining my weight. That's basically my goal with all the sweets and parties this month. Maintain through December work on losing again in Jan or Feb. Today I will lift and eat better.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    adult-children are a PITA, manic!! Ask me how I know....

anyway, I hope you don't sabotage all of your efforts/gifts/talents - you have come SO far and done SO well!

I think I'm going to try 4 work-outs this week....so none of them will be HARD effort (but hopefully medium effort and medium weights!). I think I'll only get in 1 work-out next week, so am trying to work ahead a bit.

Next week, frankly, is supposed to be a de-load week.....but, I'm 1 work-out behind so am trying to squish it in somewhere!
  • suelegal
    Options

OK ENOUGH BLUBBERING

Wow Mary, I'm so sorry! But you have worked too hard not to continue! Get back at it girl! She will do what she will do no matter if you continue your good work or not, so do not let that sabotage you!!!

Wow it was so hard to get out of bed this morning!!! Beeps, I'm doing 4 lifts this week too. It's actually week 3 or my 4 wk cycle and it's the hardest week of the 4. Today OHP - I pressed 65 1x but that was all I could do. Accessories were flys, seated rows on the lever machine, and skull crushers. I started each of the 3 with more weight than usual and did drop sets. Next week is my deload week too Beeps.

This was a really awful food weekend. I knew it would be, actually last night was better than Saturday night since I really tried to stay with the proteins and veggies, but dinner included several varieties of quiche and a Phillipine noodle dish that was too yummy to resist. I didn't eat the cherry cheesecake but I caved to the homemade choc. chip cookies. Back on better eating today!

bepeejaye, I repeated the last A & B of Stage 1 for 2 weeks before I went on vacation. It's a good solid stage and I think it doesn't hurt to repeat those big lifts before moving on.

I don't bake at home anymore. We eat it and quite frankly, my husband and I both don't need that junk. When I go out to OH or AR to see the grands, I bake, usually with the kids help, and that's more than enough.