Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    One a separate note, are you all on target for your protein intake? I am having a really hard time keeping it around 30%. I am vegan but I still eat lots of high protein foods. It's more a matter of fitting it in with other foods. It feels like I'd have to eat protein all the time at the sake of other things like veggies, fruits and carbs. Carbs are hard because a lot of beans have a high carb content despite being good sources of protein. I'm trying to change up some recipes to see if it makes a difference. In the mean time, how much does the ration matter? If I'm stuck around 25% for a while with high carb and low fat percentages, will it really derail me?

Hey, I imagine getting ++ protein and being vegan is really tricky. Thinking of my non-meat protein sources, a lot of what I eat is dairy so that doesn't help either. I do eat a lot of soy also though - I get the TVP 'mince' and, as it has no flavour of its own, I add it to brown rice to make my GF porridge (which you could do with a non diary milk) or similar. Also, I use it as a topping for fruit and yoghurt - you could do similar with a soy yoghurt or other dessert. I don't think being slightly off on macros will matter - its more about ensuring that you do eat adequate protein. I'm always lower on fats more than anything else but I don't think it has hindered me particularly. Do you use any protein powders/ supplements?

With my daily cals and macros set at 40:30:30 I think my daily protein goal is about 130g? Can't quite remember but check out my diary if you like. I do come close a lot of the time, but big workouts push those numbers up and I'll not reach my target on those days. Setting my macros just made me more aware to eat a range of foods (before it was literally all carbs!), but I use my cals for day to day logging.

Back to the chin ups - underhand lat pulldowns girls..... that's where the trick is if you ask me. When you can pull almost bodyweight you can probably do a chin up. Stage 6 (? I think) NROLFW I had to swap to chin ups as had reached 1kg under my bodyweight for the pulldowns - meant that I could no longer improve the pulldowns as I was unable to actually pull the bar down into position for the exercise - the weights were heavier than me so I'd just hang from the bar with my feet off the ground.... was a tad embarrassing, LOL.

I think we should have some chin up motivation here.... who doesn't want to go to the gym and pump a few out? We will all be freakin' awesome!! I'm still nervous about attempting them in public..... I have one of those over the door bars here at home which has nice comfy grips and no one will see me if I fail, LOL
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Veggiemama, Please let me know what you ARE eating because I've so much animal product to my diet. I was vegetarian for a number of years before being diagnosed as hypoglycemic and it was easier and more expedient to just add chicken and tuna back in, but I HATE it. I wasn't able to eat enough protein AND keep my carbs and calories down. My husband is still vegetarian and basically lives off of engineered food to get his 4k calories a day.

Stage 6 is a around the corner and once I get my chin up back I'm keeping it in the repertoire.
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I have the Harbinger Classic (with wrist support). They are very comfortable (even though they are just a bit big...I could never find my size. These are Small size).

I got a pinched sore spot on my hand from doing the dead lift. Anybody have a brand of gloves they like a lot? I have two pairs and and they either pinch or poke me somewhere.....

BepeeJaye
    Thank you, I'll look into those. I am super pumped today. I finished the last workout of stage 2 of the Life edition. I do feel and look different. I especially notice a change in my tummy and low waist. Not a lot of weight loss but feeling fitter. My hammis are singing today.

Tomorrow plan on start stage three. Training session then I will be bad with super snacks....
  • rocky503
    Options
    One a separate note, are you all on target for your protein intake? I am having a really hard time keeping it around 30%. I am vegan but I still eat lots of high protein foods. It's more a matter of fitting it in with other foods. It feels like I'd have to eat protein all the time at the sake of other things like veggies, fruits and carbs. Carbs are hard because a lot of beans have a high carb content despite being good sources of protein. I'm trying to change up some recipes to see if it makes a difference. In the mean time, how much does the ration matter? If I'm stuck around 25% for a while with high carb and low fat percentages, will it really derail me?

Hey, I imagine getting ++ protein and being vegan is really tricky. Thinking of my non-meat protein sources, a lot of what I eat is dairy so that doesn't help either. I do eat a lot of soy also though - I get the TVP 'mince' and, as it has no flavour of its own, I add it to brown rice to make my GF porridge (which you could do with a non diary milk) or similar. Also, I use it as a topping for fruit and yoghurt - you could do similar with a soy yoghurt or other dessert. I don't think being slightly off on macros will matter - its more about ensuring that you do eat adequate protein. I'm always lower on fats more than anything else but I don't think it has hindered me particularly. Do you use any protein powders/ supplements?

With my daily cals and macros set at 40:30:30 I think my daily protein goal is about 130g? Can't quite remember but check out my diary if you like. I do come close a lot of the time, but big workouts push those numbers up and I'll not reach my target on those days. Setting my macros just made me more aware to eat a range of foods (before it was literally all carbs!), but I use my cals for day to day logging.

Back to the chin ups - underhand lat pulldowns girls..... that's where the trick is if you ask me. When you can pull almost bodyweight you can probably do a chin up. Stage 6 (? I think) NROLFW I had to swap to chin ups as had reached 1kg under my bodyweight for the pulldowns - meant that I could no longer improve the pulldowns as I was unable to actually pull the bar down into position for the exercise - the weights were heavier than me so I'd just hang from the bar with my feet off the ground.... was a tad embarrassing, LOL.

I think we should have some chin up motivation here.... who doesn't want to go to the gym and pump a few out? We will all be freakin' awesome!! I'm still nervous about attempting them in public..... I have one of those over the door bars here at home which has nice comfy grips and no one will see me if I fail, LOL

Thanks
    Now I know how to work up to a chin up with pull downs, I am going to try it.
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to try them as well...but will use a home pull-up/chin-up afore I can muster the courage at the gym :)
    One can only try - "do your best and forget the rest" - Tony Horton - P90X

On a much jolly good note, I cannot wait to watch the Puppy Bowl X come the morrow!!! Just tuned into the Puppy Cam, and they are asleep...aaawwww!!! This year's cheerleaders are penguins and the halftime show will be by the keyboard cat...I do not know if they will have the Kitty Halftime Show.....!!!!
    Cheers!!
    :drinker:
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Gotta love Tony quotes.... "tip of the day, think like a cat"
  • veggiemama81
    veggiemama81 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Veggiemama, Please let me know what you ARE eating because I've so much animal product to my diet. I was vegetarian for a number of years before being diagnosed as hypoglycemic and it was easier and more expedient to just add chicken and tuna back in, but I HATE it. I wasn't able to eat enough protein AND keep my carbs and calories down. My husband is still vegetarian and basically lives off of engineered food to get his 4k calories a day.

Stage 6 is a around the corner and once I get my chin up back I'm keeping it in the repertoire.

I eat TVP, tofu, tempeh, quinoa, etc as well as Phood meal shakes (I'm not much of a morning person) and soy protein shakes as a snack. I've never had a problem with my diet before as far as health, it's just trying to elevate my protein so much now that has been a struggle. I was vegetarian for most of my military career and vegan for the last couple of years in and always ran first class fitness tests, many of them near perfect. I just wasn't lifting heavy. I'm sorry you had to add animal products, but that is not an option for me. I can easily meet my calorie requirements with what I am eating now. I'm nowhere near needing 4k so it's not an issue at all. I've been looking at recipes and I just ordered Brendan Brazier's new book. It is geared towards regular athletic types so it's meals normal people can actually make. I loved his Thrive book, it was just totally unreasonable to try to make some of the meals he had in there on a normal person budget who didn't spend all of their time next to a Vitamix. I'll let you know what I come up with :)
  • samntha14
    Options
    Help me out ladies. I can't take any more bad news. It's has been two long weeks of bad news climaxing yesterday. While nothing is directly affecting me, these are people I care about and I am powerless to help them. My best friend lost her FIL and then her husband had a psychotic break but apparently never made it to the hospital and is now missing. My good friend whom I carpool with lost her mom. She dies in her sleep at 59yo and in relatively good health, She just never woke up. ANd my 43yo cousin, a RN in very good health, had a stroke yesterday. My BF lives 1500 miles away otherwise I'd be with her now.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    Geez us, Samntha....I don't even know what to say!

Sorry for all the crummy news and for all the loss! That is super-sad stuff!
  • sleepyjen
    sleepyjen Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    My word, Sam, that's a lot at once. Take care of yourself. It's easy to fall apart helping to keep everyone else together.
  • bepeejaye
    Options
    So sorry Sam...please hang in there :flowerforyou:
  • bepeejaye
    Options
    Love it!!
    Gotta love Tony quotes.... "tip of the day, think like a cat"
  • samntha14
    Options
    THanks ladies. I just absolutely hate feeling powerless. I even forgot to call my dad and wish him happy birthday yesterday with everything going on. He's used to it though I've been calling him on Groundhog day most of my life lol
  • rocky503
    Options
    THanks ladies. I just absolutely hate feeling powerless. I even forgot to call my dad and wish him happy birthday yesterday with everything going on. He's used to it though I've been calling him on Groundhog day most of my life lol

That is definitely a pile up of unfortunate events. We can only be there as much as possible for our friends and family in what ever way you can during times like this. But also not maxing you self out. Best wishes for all involved.

With these types of events I try to find ways to stay connected even if it isn't in person. Just let them know you are available to listen when they need it is a great gift.
  • rocky503
    Options
    Alright, "NO EXCUSES" challenge, is done. My month-end-reporting is done (scale weight/measurements/photos).

I'm kinda bored with the side-by-sides (although I still do them....even for this month, I've done 'em...).

In 2 minutes, I tried something silly, and IT WAS FUN! --->>>

EndofJan2014posing_zpsebc4d914.jpg

Thanks for sharing, your'e so brave. I might post pre post after I go through phase three.....might
  • samntha14
    Options

That is definitely a pile up of unfortunate events. We can only be there as much as possible for our friends and family in what ever way you can during times like this. But also not maxing you self out. Best wishes for all involved.

With these types of events I try to find ways to stay connected even if it isn't in person. Just let them know you are available to listen when they need it is a great gift.
    WEll... I think February 1 2014 will go down as the most screwed up day ever. Now we can add the death of my school's namesake (never met the man so no bearing on me) but my dad let it out that he broke up with his girl friend of five years on his birthday and oh by the way she has spots on her mammogram and we are now praying it is not cancer. My cousin got her test results back and it was finally confirmed a stroke. HEalthy 43yo nurse. Anybody who has frequent migraines please for the love of God and all that is Holy go get a cat scan. Lets add a snow storm to the *kitten* storm that may keep me from the wake tomorrow night for my friend's mom.

I am counting my blessings I really am. #1 my cousin's 16yo son was home to call 911 when she collapsed (how often is a 16yo home on a saturday, so thank you GOD)It's really hard to say yay I am happy and healthy and so are my family when so many people you care about are suffering. :(
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Sam sorry you have had so much sadness lately

My shoulder is better and I am lifting again after a short break.
    I am at a conference so I will have to adapt my lifts a bit.
    Nutrition will be challenging as well !
    I will do some more cardio as I am trying to get back on my bike - my pt cleared me but I am increasing time slowly--

Veggie there is a group called eat train progress. There is a thread on that group that has protein sources. I am an ex vegetarian but still eat plenty of meat substitute products--
    Good luck
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Sam - how awful! Thinking of you and those around you. Hope that is well and truly your *kitten* out the way for this year! It can only get better! ((hugs))
  • samntha14
    Options
    Again thank you :) I just needed to vent. WHo do you usually dump on when things are rough but your BF and right now my BF is in one hell of a sh*tstorm herself, and the last thing I want to do is dump anything on her, so thank you all for listening. I will in fact be missing the wake today due to the storm. Couldn't make it down my street and called out of work (the only district in session). Hubby is stuck home today too, so I'm hanging with all my men :)

Happy lifting ladies!! Stay safe if you are in the snow zone.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    I hope everyone can get off to a good start to the week (especially samntha....).

For me, this is the FIRST week, in 6, that my work-out scheduled will be TOTALLY normal! I am SUPER-STOKED! I don't have to "squish something in here" or "fit it in there".

I lift M/W/F . I'm going to do a cardio class after work tonight, as well - with daughter, so likely not more than 30 mins. And, my regularly-scheduled Saturday cardio can FINALLY go ahead (kidlet activities are ALL POST-LUNCH-TIME!). Thank goodness....rumour has it SOMEBODY stood in MY SPOT this past week!! (I've missed 5 weeks in a row....)

Mexico is 2 weeks away.

I'm officially in this to win this and am watching my calories, drinking my water, getting in my work-outs, and making sure to get 7.5+ hours of sleep nightly.

BOOM!