Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I have one additional work out left in my first round of stage 7. I'm going to start another round on Monday. I'm officially down five pounds from my heaviest weight and 1 pound away from my original goal weight. And I've lost half an inch off my waist since I started stage 7! More importantly I'm really noticing a visible change in my body. It's not a small change that I can talk myself out of in a moment of weakness. I really am slimming down. Excited!
    Stage 7 is rough and this is about the time when I start getting bored with the workouts but I'm getting such good results that I don't want to quit.

I'm so excited for u! My waist (and more specifically my lower belly pouch) is where I really want to see changes. I could take not losing weight if the tummy would just go already!
  • jamaicanlady
    Options
    bepee, EXCELLENT results! Keep going, you got this
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Hello- I'm having insomnia- and I ve been reading about strong lifts- I had a good workout yesterday and I will extend BT 3 a little because I think I can do more.
    My single standing chest press stinks though hasn't moved at all.
    I can do some harder push-ups but the chest press is still terrible, even after trying some negatives.

Sam that's a great compliment.

Way to go beepejaye

Beeps you have the best attitude

Jamaica you have made progress
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I went I lifted.
    M clothes feel extra tight and I made the mistake of stepping on the scale at the pediatrician's office (which is a whole other story). I think I need to think about my food intake a little more. Jamaica, I'm totally with you on the belly!
  • jdgro
    jdgro Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Good workout to close out week 2 today:-) Hubs and I went to the gym together so he could check out my gym with a possibility of joining. But he hurt his shoulder over Thanksgiving and has been kind of hiding how bad it is. Today he was showing me where a bone (??? or something??) is visibly poking up where it should not be. He said it still hurts a lot. So no more workout duo until he gets to the doctor. He is your stereotypical guy who will not willingly go to the doctor but I think at this point he's pretty freaked out.

But, the nice thing having him there with me today was he showed me how to use the squat rack. I have been doing a squat substitution because I've been intimidated by squats. I'm still a little intimidated and I think I'm going to need to get a few workouts under my belt before I feel more comfortable. It's all just like this ginormous clangy metal machinery and pretty intimidating. I squatted just the bar and felt really unbalanced like I was going to lose it at any moment and fall over.

Anyone have an issue with the bar on your back and it presses against your spine in an uncomfortable way? I am thinking I need some type of pad or something to put under the bar. I feel like I'm going to have a bruise tomorrow.

Progressing a bit with amount of weight I can lift. I moved up from the 40# to 50# barbell today for deadlifts and that was good.

This morning worked for three hours doing farm labor! My older daughter and I are in this volunteer activity and one of the things we do is this organic farm that grows produce for the food pantry so the needy folks can get fresh stuff in addition to the canned/boxed items. This was heavy manual labor. I felt like I had already done a bunch of squats, deadlifts etc for 3 hrs before I even hit the gym today. SO tired right now!
  • jamaicanlady
    Options
    I went I lifted.
    M clothes feel extra tight and I made the mistake of stepping on the scale at the pediatrician's office (which is a whole other story). I think I need to think about my food intake a little more. Jamaica, I'm totally with you on the belly!

Belly? What belly? I looked through all your photos and couldn't find this "belly" you speak of :huh:
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,986 Member
    Options
    I always used a foam pad for my squats....it is circular and fits around the barbell center.

I have to use it fir weighted hip thrusts and weighted glute bridges, too.
  • sunshinelively
    sunshinelively Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I squeeze my should blades together creating a pad of muscle over my spine.

The lower back pain culprit is motorcycle riding. after 4 hours on the bike yesterday left lower back says f you. I need to put risers on my handlebars or some other adjustment or I'm going to keep having this battle between riding and weight training.

Its been a beaut of a weekend! Enjoy everyone.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I always used a foam pad for my squats....it is circular and fits around the barbell center.

Me too.

But you could use a towel to wrap round the bar instead
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I use the pad on the barbell for back squats as well. Even with that I still get sore.

I have one more workout in stage 3 to do, tomorrow, then it's on to stage 4. I am so not wanting to do FSPPs again. I really hate then and could never get the arm positioning right.

My eating has been horrible lately. I just can't seem to stay on track for more than a couple of days.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I've been out of town since Wednesday so I'm really behind!

Pudding, I've been overeating quite a lot lately, too.
  • samntha14
    Options
    I went I lifted.

Belly? What belly? I looked through all your photos and couldn't find this "belly" you speak of :huh:
    I am a master I hiding it. I wear tunic length shirts and everything comes in at the belly button, I NEVER wear a dress without a spank, plus those pictures are mostly older, but thank for the compliment. Turns out I was just really bloated and retaining water the other day. I put on the shorts I bought on Friday, which were quite tight, without any problem at all. They fit perfectly :)

I use the pad, which makes me feel wimpy, but I bruise really easily. I want to buy this shirt http://liftbigeatbig.spreadshirt.com/the-10-squat-commandments-A13689365/customize/color/2, but I use the "tampon" :( Maybe I can fake ti with a towel.

Went to the bike races today with all of my guys. EVerybody raced. It was my older son's first real competitive mountain bike race. He was the youngest and least experienced in his class, so we were just happy he didn't come in last. Hubby didn't do much better, but everyone is in one piece and had fun. I got in some decent walking myself. Good day had by all.
  • jamaicanlady
    Options
    Ladies, ladies, ladies! This past week was SO great for me. I finally feel like I'm back on track. No more excuses. I didn't overeat AS USUAL. I didn't skip my cardio AS USUAL. I made a plan, and stuck to it. I went as far as to type it up here and in Word and I'd look at it everyday to remind myself what I needed to do that day.
    To meet my goals, my plan this week:
    1. 3 days of lifting. I'm going to be starting Basic Training III in NROLS.
    2. 1 day of HIIT cardio.
    3. 1650 cals on non-lifting days, 1880 cals on lifting days. This averages to TDEE-14%.
    4. 25% of cals should be from protein
    5. 6 cups of water daily
    6. 3 days consisting of 20 mins of stretching
    7. No eating after 8 pm.
    8. Eat 3 servings of vegetables daily. This is hard for me because I hate veggies.
    1. Check
    2. Check
    3. Check
    4. Almost. 24%
    5. Check
    6. Check
    7. Umm, not quite. 3 nights I ended up eating after 8pm.
    8. Check

And VOILA, a 2.2 lb loss this week! I know that's a bit much, but after being in a plateau for so long, I'll TAKE IT. Plus, I've lost inches all over. I'm HAPPY :happy:
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,986 Member
    Options
    Pudding - my eating was bad last week, too. Not anymore. I just have to rein it in.

Samntha - that sounds like a "win" on the shorts part.....i gave up on shorts. I wear tennis skirts now and am waaaayyyyyy happier!

jamaicanlady - you are KILLIN.g it! BOOM!

I got a lovely walk in today, between baseball and hockey games. Good enough!
  • Ari112233
    Ari112233 Posts: 91 Member
    Options

Like Beeps said, lifting is always the answer, especially in women. What most "cardio queens" do not understand is that they are destroying their bone density and are at greater risk of osteoporosis and bone issues. Weight bearing exercise helps stave that off. My hubby learned that the hard way.

How does cardio destroy bone density?
  • samntha14
    Options

Like Beeps said, lifting is always the answer, especially in women. What most "cardio queens" do not understand is that they are destroying their bone density and are at greater risk of osteoporosis and bone issues. Weight bearing exercise helps stave that off. My hubby learned that the hard way.

How does cardio destroy bone density?
    Not normal cardio, but extreme endurance cardio ( or in this case "cardio queens that are doing HOURS a week). It pulls the calcium out of your bones to feed your muscles. Fractures are very common among swimmers, endurance cyclists and runners. My husband crashed pretty bad once and ended up in the trauma unit. He's had bad crashed before and this didn't seem any worse, but he broke nine bones including his scapula (a tough bone to break) all in one shot. His ortho informed him of the hazard of endurance training without weight bearing exercises. ( he's the chief of surgery at RWJ/UMDNJ and leading sports med doc in the state. Opinion to be totally respected) Hubby had to learn how to spin at his anaerobic threshold using his HRM and power meter, and get in strength training during the week as well. He's been solid since (going on four years)

NSV: someone I haven't seen in a few months said, "Damn girl you look good. busting your butt at the gym is paying off. those are some arms you got." I'll take it :)
  • runzalot81
    Options
    Oddly enough, I get a 2/3 this week.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Cyclist and swimmers aren't getting the "weight bearing" they need. ANY exercise that is weight bearing (weightlifting, walking, running, jump rope) is great for bone density.

Plus, Sam had a great explanation of the calcium being pulled out due to the lack of weight bearing.
  • runzalot81
    Options
    I skipped HIIT. On purpose :drinker: I need the rest of my energy for a shower and I wanna do some Suzie Homemaker crafts.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I'll give myself a 3/3 for the last week. I'm feeling really good getting all my water in :smile:

And I got to lift today - woot! The tradies that were meant to turn up last week are turning up this afternoon (well, they'd better be!) so I got my workout in this morning after dropping the munchkins at school :)

I upped my weights on the dead lift again - 37kg now :bigsmile: Almost body weight :happy: I feel fantastic.

I shall do two more sessions of Stage 4 then have a rest week and start fresh for Stage 5.
    I'm fiddling with my diary here to get into prep for cutting a little come August/September... I've put on about 1.5kg-ish over the last 3 months, so I'm pretty happy with that. I'm a bit squishy, but not too bad. It's most noticeable in my stomach, but there isn't much I can do about that. A friend of mine is due to go have surgery to fix her stomach muscles in the next few weeks, so I'm going to see how she goes before I think about possibly getting them all stitched back together. Other than that, tight high-waisted jeans and spanx are my best friends :wink: :laugh:

Re bone density, my Mum has osteoporosis. It's a hell of a lot simpler to try and avoid it than having to deal with it once you've got it. I'll do anything I can not to get it. For me, that means lifting lots and eating enough.

Oh! And I made my own strawberry chia pods/pudding! Absolutely delicious! I just need to figure out exact serving sizes etc and then I'll be able to work out calories etc. The kids dug into it before I had a chance to weigh the finished product (ok, yeah, so I did too - it was really, really good). Bonus is, because it's dairy, gluten & nut free, it's perfect for their school lunchboxes and an awful lot cheaper than the pre-packaged stuff.