Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I've been realizing the same thing - my job is sedentary. I work on the 10th floor and take the stairs twice a day, routed my documents to print at a far away printer, but other than I'm on my butt too. Thinking about a fit bit or some such to motivate movement throughout the day.

Did 3A last night - lower back is saying hello.

Going on a 2 day motorcycle trip out of town this weekend, hotel has a gym , but wondering if my back can take lifting workouts plus 4 hour rides!

Happy belayed Canada day - only 2 more days to go and three day weekend!

Enjoy the ride!

Regarding lack of activity from a desk job or summer break: it makes a huge difference. According to my BodyMedia, it's a 300-500 cal/day difference between a normal activity day(just doing household chores) and me sitting on my butt a lot. I was shocked at the numbers. It's very frustrating to have it vary so much. It can literally destroy your deficit for the day. One reason that the MFP method of eating exercise cals back isn't a bad idea. Anyway, I hope you ladies can figure it out!

Beeps, walking is always good! And it's a great calorie burner.

For those of you who are getting bored with NROL4W or find that you need more than 3/days week, I looked through Erin Sterns program on bodybuilding.com and it looks really solid. It's a split routine, but uses all the usual compound moves:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/erin-stern-elite-body-4-week-fitness-trainer.html
    And it's free.

Sam, yes, exactly- we are getting to the point that our bodies want to just maintain. The "newbie" phase is completely over- I really have to push myself to get results!

I did not like the "RIP" class. It felt like a Gillian Michaels class- high rep strength training. And all the ladies(including the instructor) had horrible form.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,994 Member
    Options
    I totally didn't notice the comment about your husband's complaint, runzalot....what did he say? What did you say back?
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    ...also, can't wait to hear the 'drop 2 sizes' work-out thing....spread the good word, if there's a good word to spread, k?
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Hi Ali!

Kate, I think if you get dizzy during static lunges, you need to: a) make sure you aren't holding your breath (and you are properly breathing in-and-out through the move); and b) check with your doctor to make sure that you are okay. I don't think that is normal.

BBCowgirl- I LOVE ERIN STERNS! I might have to check that out!

I think I will be HAPPIEST girl when somebody comes out with the "daily app" work-out, that incorporates full-body moves, but in a change-it-up sort of way....and, when the work-outs are LIMITED to 45 minutes TOPS.

:)
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Barbell, I checked the link and that is a possibility! The comments and forums were very helpful for finding alternatives if you didn't have access to the same equipment.

Beeps, he was cleaning the carpet the other night and picked up my barbell to move it out of the way. He told me, "Your weights are getting too heavy for me! I think I aggravated my hernia." I laughed :laugh:
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I've been realizing the same thing - my job is sedentary. I work on the 10th floor and take the stairs twice a day, routed my documents to print at a far away printer, but other than I'm on my butt too. Thinking about a fit bit or some such to motivate movement throughout the day.

I was thinking of getting one too! But in reading, it seems to me it only counts steps and calories burmed from that. What about other activity where you're not actually walking? Like perhaps standing while washing the bathroom, would it count calories burned from that? Anyone have any experience with the fitbit or bodymedia?
  • jamaicanlady
    Options
    Hi all!

I did a successful fast on Canada Day, so that has spurred me onto my new eating plan for summer:

4 days deficit followed by 1 day maintenance, followed by 4 days deficit, followed by 1 day maintenance, etc.

Hopefully that will move the bodyfat off my body!

Meanwhile, I need a SHAKE-UP at the gym. I think the 3 x weekly is bumming me out because the work-outs just keep stretching WAYYYY longer than 1 hour. So, I am wondering if I should do EVERY WEEKDAY lifting, limiting EACH lifting session to 45-minutes!?!?!?!?

I am going to give this a try, today.

Plus, I start walking with my walking partner TODAY or TOMORROW!

BOOM!

I am now going back to read all you posts!

I'm feeling the same way about my gym sessions. They definitely take more than an hour, plus I tack on 20 mins of stretching at the end. I'm thinking maybe I need to break up the sessions into more days too. We'll see.
  • jamaicanlady
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I'm not a great housekeeper. So, this summer I've been committing one hour a day for 5 days a week just focusing on housekeeping. I can do anything I want for that hour. I can clear out drawers or I can scrub bathrooms. Whatever. It makes a great light cardio workout and the work is really showing! My house is looking good! It's just 5 hours a week and it's nothing compared to 50+ hours during the school year. I've been good and consistent.

My AMRAPs sucked balls yesterday but my run this morning was pretty bada$$. I felt so good, I tried AMRAPs again. Score.

I ordered Drop 2 Sizes this morning. I'm getting bored with New Rules :indifferent: Standing on one foot mess just got worse as Stage 4 went on. I've even modified the heck out of these workouts so they don't drag on so long and to what I think benefits me the most.

I like P90X but I don't want to commit to 6 days a week :sick: I know lots of folks skip the yoga and just do five... eh.

Also, I posted yesterday that MY HUSBAND COMPLAINED ABOUT MY HEAVYA$$ BARBELL and no one noticed :laugh: It made me feel good :tongue:

This is such a great idea! Housework! My place really needs some serious clean up work for real. I really hate housework, but maybe if I look at it as a workout to burn calories I'll be more inclined to do it. 1 hour a day! I can do this. Thanks!

Also, I did P90X a few years ago, I LOVED it. Tony Horton is great, although some people find him annoying. You either love him or hate him and I loved him. His corny jokes never failed to amuse me. But yea, 6 days a week is killer. Don't know how I managed back then, I didn't know any better. NROL spoiled me on 3 days. Now its hard for me to do more than that.
  • ROBINSTL67
    ROBINSTL67 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit ,and I LOVE it. But you are correct that it isn't going to count non-walking activities. It does count flights of stairs, which has encouraged me to start taking the stairs. My best day so far was 50 flights. Other types of activities you would have to log manually. It gives you a running calories burned total for the day based on what you have entered as your activity level, height, weight, plus steps. It also tracks how long you sleep and whether you are restless or awake during the night, which has confirmed for me what a crappy sleeper I am. I like that it allows me to link to friends who have one as well and use their step totals as motivation to do more. I basically use it to determine how many calories I can have in a day, aiming for 300 to 500 below what it tells me I used that day.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

I did a successful fast on Canada Day, so that has spurred me onto my new eating plan for summer:

4 days deficit followed by 1 day maintenance, followed by 4 days deficit, followed by 1 day maintenance, etc.

Hopefully that will move the bodyfat off my body!

Meanwhile, I need a SHAKE-UP at the gym. I think the 3 x weekly is bumming me out because the work-outs just keep stretching WAYYYY longer than 1 hour. So, I am wondering if I should do EVERY WEEKDAY lifting, limiting EACH lifting session to 45-minutes!?!?!?!?

I am going to give this a try, today.

Plus, I start walking with my walking partner TODAY or TOMORROW!

BOOM!

I am now going back to read all you posts!

New eating plan sounds good. I sat down and worked out mine too - and made sure I alloted the needed extras for the weekends for when my husband occasionally surprises us with cooked breakfasts and lunches out :smile:

I may be naughty, but I'd been doing NROL 4x a week on and off without the cardio added at the end. I'd lift M/T and T/F with rest days on W, Sat & Sun. It seemed to work fine and allowed me to work around anything that came up and allotted time for my coffee date every second Wednesday lol

I'm going to keep doing it, probably every second week, lifting 4x plus adding in some more cardio. Complete rest days on Sat/Sun and only do a workout on Wed if work load allows. I am seriously missing my workouts this week, but I know I need the week off physically & mentally and really, having the kids at home and running them to swimming intensives in the middle of the day as well as trying to work isn't really all that conducive to getting a proper workout done.

I may or may not be slightly addicted to the feeling of having completed a strength session....
    Also, I posted yesterday that MY HUSBAND COMPLAINED ABOUT MY HEAVYA$$ BARBELL and no one noticed :laugh: It made me feel good :tongue:

Hehe... with the current state of the garage, my husband has to step over my barbell to get through to his workshop - it's too heavy for him to lift :tongue:

Ali, just jump on in. That's what I like so much about this group :smile:

I have a question for lunges: Do they need to be stationary or can I lunge across a room? For some reason when I do stationary lunges I get dizzy after about 5.

Not sure really, but give it a go. Anything that gets the workout done without having you fall over is probably a good thing.

Housework?? What?? >>>Lalalalalalalala I can't heeeaarrr yooooouuu<<<<

Although that being said... I probably do need to get some more done. But the main living areas are tidy, that's enough, isn't it?
    There are loom band things all through the playroom though....

I have decided I either need to find the beanie I bought myself years ago (and I know is stashed somewhere in my cupboard) or make a new one... my ears are freezing of a morning. Kids are hopefully heading off on Saturday some time, I hope... My father is an odd one at times - he insisted he would drive up to pick them up, and now he's off on another tangent. Not all is lost though, it may just mean that I will need to do a 4hr round trip on Saturday to deliver them to my Mum halfway. I'm not keen on a 6hr round trip ;)
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    That;s a long trip DNA. I can now do 13 hours no problem but that's going somewhere to do something. I think I'd be annoyed just to go and come back but I've done 4 hours doing that too. Keep warm.

So far so good. Got in Zumba tonight despite horrid weather. We had a crazy thunderstorm kicking our butts today, but anything is better than the 98F heat with air thick enough to choke you. I came home and went to sleep.
  • Ali_momof2
    Ali_momof2 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Ok I've got a newbie question. I got a weight lifting belt since my BF suggested it when my back was sore from the 2nd workout. I figured he's been lifting for over 20 yrs so I'll listen. I even got a girl one but it doesn't seem to fit right. Do any of you use these things. He tried to adjust it so its where it should be on my back but its squishes my little tummy pooch ( kids left me with the stretch marks & stretched skin around my belly button). I don't know if its because Im curvy, it seems that my hips push it up when I bend and if I really tighten it my tummy squishes out the bottom. Is this going to be another thing that doesn't fit me right because I'm small? Im only 5ft, & I have a very short torso. This belt seems to cover my waist & the top of my hips but my waist is like 31 inches & my hips are like 38ish. I'm sorry about the rambling. I come across problems with things fitting me since I'm as tall as a child ( my 11yr son is my size) but I have the curves of a woman. Should I just forget the belt? :ohwell:
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Ali welcome- I have no advice about belts- I know "some people say it's better without and to gradually strengthen your core."
    But I can't remember where I read that and I don't use one.

I had a crazy day but no near fainting today so I am hoping it's over.
    I am missing lifting this week too. It helps a little to read what you guys are doing.

Nice to see the resolve and new eating plans.
    I need a new eating plan but I am hoping for a little medical guidance after they check out my innards.

It sound like there are some cute junior lifters out there!
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Ali, I don't use a belt, but speaking as someone who is 4'9... yeah, it could be the height vs curves thing. Nothing fits me properly either. It's a right pain in the proverbial!

Try going slower/lighter for a bit without the belt and see if that helps? I have a split in my stomach muscles, so had to take it really easy to start with. Slow and steady is always a good idea :smile:

Child/grandparent issue has been fixed (for now lol). They are now driving up Sat night and sleeping over and heading home on Sun morning. I can handle that :wink: :laugh: Although in all honesty, I don't mind the 4hr halfway drive - I get 2 whole hours in the car by myself on the way back home :bigsmile: I've even done the 7hr round trip when they lived further away - it was such bliss on the way back... and then I slept for 12 hours :wink:
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I'm not a great housekeeper. So, this summer I've been committing one hour a day for 5 days a week just focusing on housekeeping. I can do anything I want for that hour. I can clear out drawers or I can scrub bathrooms. Whatever. It makes a great light cardio workout and the work is really showing! My house is looking good! It's just 5 hours a week and it's nothing compared to 50+ hours during the school year. I've been good and consistent.

My AMRAPs sucked balls yesterday but my run this morning was pretty bada$$. I felt so good, I tried AMRAPs again. Score.

I ordered Drop 2 Sizes this morning. I'm getting bored with New Rules :indifferent: Standing on one foot mess just got worse as Stage 4 went on. I've even modified the heck out of these workouts so they don't drag on so long and to what I think benefits me the most.

I like P90X but I don't want to commit to 6 days a week :sick: I know lots of folks skip the yoga and just do five... eh.

This is such a great idea! Housework! My place really needs some serious clean up work for real. I really hate housework, but maybe if I look at it as a workout to burn calories I'll be more inclined to do it. 1 hour a day! I can do this. Thanks!

Also, I did P90X a few years ago, I LOVED it. Tony Horton is great, although some people find him annoying. You either love him or hate him and I loved him. His corny jokes never failed to amuse me. But yea, 6 days a week is killer. Don't know how I managed back then, I didn't know any better. NROL spoiled me on 3 days. Now its hard for me to do more than that.

Haha, I can quote Tony too..... you have to laugh through Plyo X.... it's that or die. LOL

I found the yoga the hardest one! Firstly its hard to find the time for the 90 mins, but also because I am so bad with flexibility. I really should do more of it, but I can't commit the time.

So yesterday I went to the gym after a week off. The rest was v unlike me, but my head/ body/ study needed it. Exams done, back at it. So... my new workout is HARD. And LONG. Max squats (PB! 60kg aka 132lbs) followed by single leg DLs and lunges is freakin epic. My legs and butt were like jelly. And today they are crippled..... tomorrows workout will be interesting :noway:
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Ok I've got a newbie question. I got a weight lifting belt since my BF suggested it when my back was sore from the 2nd workout. I figured he's been lifting for over 20 yrs so I'll listen. I even got a girl one but it doesn't seem to fit right. Do any of you use these things. He tried to adjust it so its where it should be on my back but its squishes my little tummy pooch ( kids left me with the stretch marks & stretched skin around my belly button). I don't know if its because Im curvy, it seems that my hips push it up when I bend and if I really tighten it my tummy squishes out the bottom. Is this going to be another thing that doesn't fit me right because I'm small? Im only 5ft, & I have a very short torso. This belt seems to cover my waist & the top of my hips but my waist is like 31 inches & my hips are like 38ish. I'm sorry about the rambling. I come across problems with things fitting me since I'm as tall as a child ( my 11yr son is my size) but I have the curves of a woman. Should I just forget the belt? :ohwell:

Nothing fixes a bad back like a strong core. In my (uneducated) opinion, a belt is just a way of avoiding the issue. Work on core strength and be cautious to do exercises with correct form.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options

This is just what I *think*: Most people I know say to have one custom made, so it could be improper fit. I would only wear on your really heavy lifts- like 6 reps or less, but that's just me. My deadlift coach (a raw 500-lb deadlifted) tells me our cores act as a weight belt if we use them properly during most lifts. I've never worn one and I deadlift 160+ lbs. If your lower back is sore, it could be normal - deadlifts are supposed to work your lower back to an extent. But it also could be a form issue, so check your form....and then check it again. And then have an experienced lifter check it. Good luck and welcome!
  • jdgro
    jdgro Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    re: sore back after 2nd workout -- this could be from deadlifts. Have you ever done them before? This program was my first time ever doing deadlifts and I was a little worried to be sore the next day. But it definitely is a "muscles sore from working out" not a "I'm hurt!" or injury type of soreness. So maybe that is what it is.
  • jdgro
    jdgro Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Ladies, should I be pushing myself harder to up how much weight I am using? I am still in stage 1 (middle of week 4), doing it 3x/week so stage 1 should take me 6 weeks.

Here are my logs. Wondering if this looks right or if I should actively challenge myself more. Opinions?

Squats
    June 9 (substitute holding dumbells) 15#/10 + 15#/10
    June 13 (substitute holding dumbells) 15#/10 + 15#/10
    June 19 (substitute holding dumbells) 15#/10 + 15#/10
    June 23 (substitute holding dumbells) 20#/12 + 20#/12
    June 28 (Real bar squat) NW/10 + NW/10 + 20#/10

Pushups
    June 9 On floor 10 + 7
    June 13 On highest slant 15 + 15
    June 19 On highest slant 15 + 15
    June 23 Lower slant 12 + 12
    June 28 Lower slant 10 + 10 + 10

Seated row
    June 9 (substitute bent-over row) 20#/15 + 20#/15
    June 13 Seated row 50#/10 + 40#/15
    June 19 40#/15 + 40#/15
    June 23 50#/12 + 50#/12
    June 28 40#/10 + 40#/10 + 50#/10

Step ups
    June 9 15#/15 + 15#/15
    June 13 15#/15 + 15#/15
    June 19 20#15 + 20#/15
    June 23 20#/12 + 20#/12
    June 28 20#10 + 20#/10 + 20#/10

Prone jackknife
    June 9 10 + 8
    June 13 8 + 8
    June 19 8 + 10
    June 23 10 + 10
    June 28 12 + 12 + 10

Deadlift
    June 11 30#/15 + 30#/15
    June 17 40#/15 + 40#/15
    June 21 50#/15 + 50#/15
    June 26 60#/12 + 60#/12
    July 2 50#/10 + 60#/10 + 60#/10

Dumbell shoulder press
    June 11 10#/15 + 10#/15
    June 17 15#/15 + 15#/15
    June 21 15#/15 + 15#/15
    June 26 15#/12 + 17.5#/12
    July 2 15#/10 + 15#/10 + 15#/10

Wide-grip lat pulldown
    June 11 50#/15 + 50#/15
    June 17 50#12 + 40#/15
    June 21 40#/15 + 40#/15
    June 26 50#/12 + 50#/12
    July 2 50#/10 + 50#/10 + 60#/10

Lunge
    June 11 15#/12 + 12#/8
    June 17 12.5#/15 + 12.5#10
    June 21 12.5#12 + 12.5#/12
    June 26 12.5#/12 + 12.5#/12
    July 2 15#/10 + 15#/10 + 15#/10

Swiss ball crunch
    June 11 15 + 15 (smaller ball)
    June 17 8 + 8 (bigger ball)
    June 21 10 + 10 (bigger ball)
    June 26 15 + 12 (bigger ball)
    July 2 12 + 12 + 12 (bigger ball)
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options

Did 3A last night - lower back is saying hello.

Going on a 2 day motorcycle trip out of town this weekend, hotel has a gym , but wondering if my back can take lifting workouts plus 4 hour rides!

Happy belayed Canada day - only 2 more days to go and three day weekend!
    Enjoy your ride!! I will too to pay my respects on Friday to all those that have sacrificed their lives, and those that continue to do so for this country. Plenty of pit stops should take care of your back. I had to buy a ...erm...uhm...bottom/seat gel cushion...lol...it does help a little. I also had the foot pegs adjusted so that I can shift into different positions while riding.
    Live to ride, ride to live!!!:drinker:

We get every other Friday off at work, and since the 4th falls on our off-Friday, we will get from Thursday off!! So today is my virtual Friday! Yayyy!!!

awesome so you get a 4 day weekend, even better.

beepeejaye - you know what they say, there's two kinds of people in the world: those who ride....and those who wish they could. :smokin:

supposed to be a gorgeous weekend in upstate new york - totally psyched!! enjoy, everyone!

I agree!!! The freedom is so exhilarating!! Have lots of fun!!

Welcome to the new ladies!

I enjoyed P90X too!! Once am done with this workout that I am doing, I aim to go back to it. The only reason why I did not like it is the convenience of being at home. I love going out into the gym...that poses a great challenge for me, and breaks the monotony of being at home; Also takes out the chance that I may be distracted to do something else while working out, say, like doing laundry etc.

My right hamstring has been acting up for three days now. I have been doing various stretches, and using Aspecreme, but I think it is time I rested it for the rest of the week.