Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Pmag, you look great!

Jamaica, I am in for the 1" off the waist before the end of the year. I know I can do it.

I an binge free 14 days tomorrow ladies. Change is here. It probably won't be forever...I am sure I will have some setbacks...but man, it feels great. I have lost a fee pounds which is a bonus.

Lifting is frustrating me. I am almost done Supercharged Basic Training 1 and have enjoyed it but I just can't improve on my pushups. In NROLFW I always did them incorrectly with elbows pointing out, and decided to discipline myself with Supercharged and try doing them correctly with elbows by my ribs. SO HARD! Bah. I want to give them up every single time.

I'm also trying to arrange an hour or two of PTing to work on form for deadlifts and front squats. They just feel off lately and I need an extra pair of eyes and expert opinion. Its too hard go check myself out in the mirror, I find.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Pudding, I wouldn't stress about it. Try doing them on the lowest setting a a smith machine or a 12" step- something that will make it a bit easier- and work to the floor doing them. But as someone who struggles with upper body strength, I completely understand your frustration. Good job on the eating! Keep that streak going!

Sam, you are the true model for body recomp. 22 inches- that's incredible!

Julie, impressive times on the BWM!

Pmag, I must say, you're rockin' that singlet!

All the crazy-people-at-the-gym stories make me glad that I go to a small ladies-only gym. The only weirdness I've encountered is young girls lifting heavy weights they clearly did not know how to lift.

I did workout B1 today. Constant tension barbell hip thrusts(3X20-30 reps), pull-ups(3X1-3 reps), BSS(3X10 reps), BP (3X6-10 reps), supine leg curls(20 reps), cable hip rotation(15 reps), and a few core exercises. I really struggle with my BP. Hoping to improve it this phase.

I've successfully eaten at a deficit for 4 days now. I know that doesn't sound like much, but after maintaining for the past several months, it's huge for me :)
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options

Jamaican, your lifts are amazing!! My squat numbers are still really low. I don't think I'll ever make it near body weight. I'm at about half my body weight now and not progressing. Also i think my form still sucks but the trainers in my new gym are a but useless. I asked one for help with my squat and deadlift form (mainly just to let him feel like he was helping because he kept harassing me to let him do me up a prgoramme) and without even looking at me doing them he told me not to go to parallel on my squats because that would hurt my knees, and when lowering the bar on the deadlift, only to bring it just below my knees before raising it again. I told him 'thank you very much but I will continue to squat as low as I can and to deadlift from the ground'.

Ha! He sounds like the trainer I worked with last year. She told me the exact same things. She said I wasn't dead lifting- I was doing a cross between a squat and a deadlift. :noway: Apparently it's not required to know anything about real Olympic lifting to be a certified PT. She also told me not to hold the barbell so close to my legs when I did RDLs- it might hurt my back.SMH.

The person who has helped me the most with form has been the "muscle head" owner of my gym. He's been great. If you know a power lifter or body builder or there's one at your gym, see if they'd be interested in eyeballing your form. And watch all the videos you can.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    So I had a bad day - I spent almost three hours in my car. Luckily I got caught up on phone calls to long lost relatives. I was very late for work. My boss seems to think I need a longer commute than anyone else. In a passive aggressive way I called in for a conference call on my Bluetooth so no one could understand me. I am not sure this a productive way to work though...
    My lifting was rough my finger splint hurts.

My oldest daughter is really testing
    My youngest just keeps crying because she is tired. Telling them to go to sleep doesn't help.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Pmag :flowerforyou: (add chocolate, wine, ice cream and cookies - cyber of course, so there's no calories :drinker: )
    I have one child who won't stop talking and/or moving and another in dire need of an attitude adjustment. Thank goodness I am my own boss (although I'm pretty adapt at pissing myself off).

You look great in your singlet by the way :heart:

TEDx news. I am yet to talk to my parents today, but I spoke to Dad yesterday and while he was sound a tad better (he had had his flu shot earlier in the year due to his cancer), Mum was pretty sick (she didn't have her flu shot this year, I'm guessing she will get it next year!).
    DH has organised for his parents to take the kids from Saturday night to Monday morning as the back-up plan. It's the long weekend and most of our friends are away or busy. One friend I know would have them, but I happen to know she is also child and husband-free this weekend, so I want her to enjoy her quiet alone time :smile: IL's were not my first choice (I have now decided that I couldn't be bothered trying so hard anymore, I don't think they've ever really like me that much, so I figured I'll just do my own thing and they can get stuffed), whenever they do something for us, they pretty much expect blood, money, firstborn in return iykwim. And will talk about you nastily behind your back if they don't think they've gotten what they deserve.

But we get to go to TEDx like we've had planned for the last few months. So I shall be happy! :bigsmile:

Anyway, onto much happier things!

I smashed 80 freaking pushups this morning. And now my arms ache just a tad.

And can I mention I do not like lunges any more. Specifically lunges with a rep range of 15-20. Although I guess they're doing something as my legs definitely have the shakes afterwards lol I just find them insanely boring, all that counting and concentrating :tongue:

Apparently I am the 'go-to' person for weight training advice these days :huh: Youngest BIL & SIL (DH's sister & husband) seem to be getting into it. Although when they mentioned she went keto in order to lose water weight for a friend's wedding I basically said "What on earth for?" LOL There's 14 years difference between us :tongue: I guess I have different priorities :laugh:

Okay, that's about as far as my brain will go. I should probably go and supervise the children as they've just got changed, put on sunscreen and let themselves in to the pool area and I can hear giggling, squealing and bomb-diving happening. I'm such an attentive parent :ohwell:
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    Julie, i am in awe of your BWM times. It used to take me about 5 minutes to do that and I hated it so much that I started finding excuses not to do it (like, oh no, I made it to the gym a half hour before it closes, I guess that means i don't have time for the BWM. Shucks.)

Sam, I have Addisons Disease. its an autoimmune illness where I don't produce any cortisol and have to take cortisol replacement steroids. Apparently I am a weird case because after a while my body starts to reject the medication and I have to switch to a different one. I started a new one yesterday and also had my dose of thyroid medication upped so hopefully that will tackle the insane tiredness.
    And I hear you about lifting when exhausted. I managed to lift twice this week but I had to lower the weights both times and I still didn't get in all my reps. Its so hard to find the energy when you just want to lie down and sleep. Despite the rubbish workout though it does help me to feel a little better.
    Losing 22 inches over 2 years is amazing!! You are officially my hero!!:drinker:

Pudding, congrats on being binge free for 2 weeks. I have been struggling lately so I understand what a milestone that is. Keep it up!! Ditto for Barbell eating at a deficit for 4 days. I have been trying but I have been over every day for about a month now. :angry:
    What lifts are you doing in Basic training 1 Pudding? I'm reading the book now and trying to decide what I should do. I want to only do back squats but I think I should probably do a different version for basic training. hmm, decisions decisions...

I'm going to ask a different training in the gym to record me doing squats and deadlifts so that I can see for myself. I will also ask him for advice but if its rubbish I plan on ignoring it. Weirdly there are no real muscle heads in my new gym. Its laid out like a lifting gym with no machines and minimal cardio equipment but they have lots of body pump equipment and most people use that rather than the barbell. There are a few people who lift, but none lifting anywhere close to the lads in my old gym.

DNA, thats excellent that you still get to go to TED. Its a pain about the in laws though. I'm quite lucky with mine in that they like me and want to be involved in my life. But it gets frustrating when every time I speak to them I get asked 'what are you doing this weekend?' but what they really mean is 'are you coming to see us?'. There is only so many times you can say no before you start feeling like a total *****.

80 push ups?? thats amazing!! I suck at push ups. I think it was barbell who said that she did them wrong for NROLFW and is now trying to keep elbows in. I am in exactly the same place. I can do sets of 10 with my elbows flying everywhere but cannot do them at all with my elbows in.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Hey all, I enjoyed your comments but can't remember who said what.... sorry.

Re: push ups and elbows.... isn't elbows in more a tricep push up?

Also re: form.... my DLs were odd today. Thought I'd sorted my form last time, but today I was all one sided - clearly my left arm is weaker as I have friction burn on my arm, thumb (?!) and a bruised knee that side. I get that when I struggle lowering the bar over my knees..... not sure why it didn't happen on the right, never had it one sided before. I moved onto stage 3 of strength and power today (supercharged). Requires the 'wave' - so max lifts for a combo of 7, 5, 3, 7, 5, 3 reps (changing weights each time). My weights were 132, 148, 155, 143, 155, 165 (converted from kg to lbs, hence the odd numbers). Took me ages, lol. These will be long workouts.

The in-laws arrive in the morning..... I really hope this visit goes well!

Have a great weekend everyone :-)
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Jo, it was my understanding that elbows in were a tricep push-up. My elbows don't stick out terribly when I do mine. It never occurred to me that I might be doing them wrong. Have fun with your in-laws!

dna, I'm happy you guys are going to TEDx. I'm sorry that it's your in-laws (who sound like real joys /sarcasm). I hope they're okay with the kids at least. 80 pushups though? Wowza! You are a beast!

Pmag, I hope today is better than yesterday!

Julie, amazing BWM times! Love it! How many of the jumps were you able to do in a row before you took a quick break?

Today was 4A2. I added 10 pounds to the bar for the FSPP and, um, what a difference 10 pounds make! I was able to get the bar up during the first set of 8 reps but the second two sets I could only get to 6 before I knew I better not try this or else I'm going to drop this bar on my head! So, I might stick with 55 next Wednesday or go down to 50 since my gym has 2.5 pound plates.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,998 Member
    Options
    I am glad you did 80 pushups, dna, I did zero.

No workout today. Cardio tomorrow. ZOOM!
  • Ali_momof2
    Ali_momof2 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Ok this is my 3rd time trying to post on here today, damn work keeps getting in the way lol.
    My boys are finally feeling better but I didn't get to lift at all this week which is fine, tonight I start stage 4.

Sam that guy was totally checking out your *kitten* and why wouldn't he? 22 inches, you are amzing!!!

Jamaica how did you not tell that guy off? I wouldn't work out with ppl watching but great job on those squats.

Pmag, I don't know what I was thinking a singlet looked like but what you're wearing looks way better and you're totally rocking it.

Dna I'm so glad you're able to go to Tedx, & screw the IL's some ppl just can't be pleased. We know you're awesome, 80 pushups, that's very impressive. I'm with Beeps, I've done none.

And after hearing all your gym stories, I'm glad I work out at home.
    I'd like to join the 1 inch challenge, but I'm worried I'd just set myself up for failure. I'll give it a try, but I won't beat myself up if it doesn't happen.

Julie, running by the canals sounds great, just not in my neighborhood, I've got the small farm irrigation ones which I'd probably fall in :laugh: and the bigger ones always have either a redneck or a creepy looking guy fishing in them. Eww that can't be healthy to eat :noway: Plus the farms make it smell really bad :sick: But the thought of it all sounds nice.

I 'm sure I'm a few of you ladies, Love & Doumc hope all is well. I had a ton more typed out and then I had to close the page damn work...:grumble:
    Have a good weekend everyone
  • Ali_momof2
    Ali_momof2 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Pudding, great job, 14 days is an accomplishment! Taking control of something like that is not an easy things and if you have a set back, let it go & move forward. We are all human and have bad days. :flowerforyou:
  • Pudding1980
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I get such great support in here. This weekend and next will be tough (my son's 6th bday party tomorrow and Canadian Thanksgiving next week) but I am hoping to make it to 21 days since that's apparently how long it can take to create a habit.

I was totally blown away by a woman at the gym today. She was standing on a stability ball and squatting. Insane. I want to do that.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Options
    Pudding you can do it. I will sent you good energy all weekend.

I cycled to work and back today. There is a ton of construction so it was slow going. But I am working the weekend so I am glad I got one workout in the can.

I hope everyone has a good weekend.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Options
    Pudding doing some squats using a chair first and lighter weight . I was having a hard time with front squats but using a small chair really helped me fix my form. Then I lifted without.

This is a little late but I hated the BMW. I think I got in under four min once!
  • Pmagnanifit
    Options
    I have a huge bruise on my left shin from dls. Did you know in the competition you are allowed to wear shin guards????
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Shin guards? That's Bloody Brilliant! (sorry editing a manuscript by British author lol) No gym yesterday and today. I fought A migraine all day at work then came home and took a 2 hour nap. I might have slept through the night, but my mom called and woke me up. Good thing too, I had to feed the troops.

I forgot what else I wanted to say. Happy lifting ladies.

Oh, my elbows are almost perpendicular. Elbows in are triceps pushup and are crazy hard to do. Whoever did 80, you're my hero. Doing thirty in three sets of 10 is about all I can handle.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Ok this is my 3rd time trying to post on here today, damn work keeps getting in the way lol.
    My boys are finally feeling better but I didn't get to lift at all this week which is fine, tonight I start stage 4.

Sam that guy was totally checking out your *kitten* and why wouldn't he? 22 inches, you are amzing!!!

Jamaica how did you not tell that guy off? I wouldn't work out with ppl watching but great job on those squats.

Pmag, I don't know what I was thinking a singlet looked like but what you're wearing looks way better and you're totally rocking it.

Dna I'm so glad you're able to go to Tedx, & screw the IL's some ppl just can't be pleased. We know you're awesome, 80 pushups, that's very impressive. I'm with Beeps, I've done none.

And after hearing all your gym stories, I'm glad I work out at home.
    I'd like to join the 1 inch challenge, but I'm worried I'd just set myself up for failure. I'll give it a try, but I won't beat myself up if it doesn't happen.

Julie, running by the canals sounds great, just not in my neighborhood, I've got the small farm irrigation ones which I'd probably fall in :laugh: and the bigger ones always have either a redneck or a creepy looking guy fishing in them. Eww that can't be healthy to eat :noway: Plus the farms make it smell really bad :sick: But the thought of it all sounds nice.

I 'm sure I'm a few of you ladies, Love & Doumc hope all is well. I had a ton more typed out and then I had to close the page damn work...:grumble:
    Have a good weekend everyone
    There aren't as many farm areas down this way, some, but not near the canal where I was. It was quite lovely, which surprised me. I think it'll become a regular thing. So glad your boys are better! Hope you have a great weekend!

DNA-glad you're getting to go!! Don't let the ILs get to you...just enjoy yourself and let them worry about their own issues :). Have fun!

Jo-lol! I can't remember each one anymore either! Enjoy your workout!

Dou-I didn't know about your condition. And you're still working that hard? So impressed! Fatigue and exhaustion are no joke! Good for you pushing through but don't over do it...I'm sure you don't need my advice ;). But you're doing great! Hope a new trainer will help too!

Pudding-1 day at a time...good luck this weekend at the party! I was also looking around the gym yesterday and I was lifting at a different location and there was a totally impressive chick there-like competition level muscles...being trained by this wimpy little trainer guy. Made me almost LOL! She could bench press that guy!

Pmag-shin guards? Sounds like that's for babies! You wear that bruise proudly!! (I have an actual scrape on my left shin for the first time...oddly proud of it!) and are you talking about a chair with the stability ball squats? I can't picture that?

Sam-I've done 1 actual tricep push up,,,and that is progress! :bigsmile: hope you're feeling better today!

Jamaica, love, cow, anyone else I missed-hope you're all lifting heavy things and feeling great!

I'm doing well, rest weekend is here :). I'm usually really excited to lift again on Monday which is a bonus! I'm gonna try to keep my cals high this week and hope for sts again...then I'll start dropping them 100-200cals a week and see if I can get the scale going. The other thing I was considering was doing a calorie zig zag thing to try and get some fat going...but I'm not sure it'll work? Have you guys tried that?

Happy weekend all!
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Today TEDx!!!!

Had brekky, need to have shower and chose clothes... supposed to be 28°C here today!! (82°F)... better find a t-shirt and a light jacket for tonight.

Whhhheeeeee!!!

Although I left my boy sobbing last night :sad: Hopefully he'll be fine. Big sister stepped up and said she'd look after him, even let him sleep in the same room as her. They just don't spend enough time with the IL's, even though they're only an hour away.

But anyway, we're going, and I'm going to enjoy it (although I must've pushed it hard on Friday and sitting down is still a chore lol gotta love DOMS :wink: ).

Hardest decisions will be what to wear and which account to tweet from :bigsmile:
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone regarding my squat PR.

And what is this BWM everyone keeps talking about? I'm going to have to check my NROL4W book for that. Sounds interesting.

pmag, I don't know why you think the singlet is hideous. It looks good to me.

dna, TEDx sounds exciting!

julie, I zig zag my calories. I eat higher on lifting days. I don't know if it helps with weight loss, but it makes me look forward to lifting just so I can eat more.

pudding, good job on being binge free for so long. I know it's tough.

ali, it was his first time at my gym and I think he just never saw a woman lifting heavy before. I forgive him.

jo, the "wave" is in the original NROL too and I really hated having to be constantly switching out the weights. Takes too long. I really didn't want to have to deal with it this time around either

dou, I saved back squats for when I started Hypertrophy. For Basic Training I did other types of squats.

sam, it was only 4 sets of 4 reps. 22 inches is amazing! Congrats! That's a remarkable body recomp.

So I need to find a way to increase my activity because eating low calorie is NOT working out. I'm getting headaches and that can't be good. Need to figure this out, quickly.
  • Pudding1980
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips and support with the binge eating and pushups. I realize the pushups with elbows by the ribs are tricep ones but that's how they appear in the Supercharged book, at least in looking at the model. Have I been punishing myself with these for no reason?!? Gah. I am going to go back to normal pushups tomorrow and see how I do. I would much rather get those perfected than work away so slowly on tricep ones cause the latter also kill my wrists!

I start Basic Training 2 on Wednesday and am excited. I have lost a few pounds and some inches on BT1, probably more so from the cutting out binge eating, but it feels great either way.

Still trying to book that training session. I hate doing. Those front squats. They are hurting my elbows and neck.