Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    DNA-dang! Great back photo! You look wonderful!!! Sorry about the ILs!! But wet & wild will still be fun!! :)

Jamaica-good to hear from you! Enjoy your rest. Looking forward to your progress report :)

Musings-I'm hypothyroid and have been tracking my body temps for over a year in an attempt to measure my metabolic health and thyroid health through keeping track of my symptoms and temps. Long story, but suffice it to say, my temp has been steadily in the 97.9 range for the past few weeks. For me, that is huge!! I have been known to have a 95.8 deg body temp as "normal" for years. I'm warm, my hands, feet and even the tip of my nose is warm!! Hair not falling out, skin not as dry, nails growing, not foggy brained, not tired!! Woohoo! Just came to that realization today. I feel really good! It's wonderful! That's all :D

Happy Sunday! rest day and looking forward to church. :)
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Pudding I did 3 sets - just the middle ground.
    - DNA I didn't recognize you. You are smokin.
    - Jamaica good luck with the wedding plans

Julie glad you are feeling healthy.

So I rested more this week and my lifting improved. I limited my cardio (after Tuesday). And I deaded 155 today and I benched 70. I am getting really excited about the competition.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Wonderful news Jullie!!
  • snbouchard81
    snbouchard81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    My sister went to the gym with me today and decided to lift with me. Historically, my sister is the more athletic of the two of us and today was no exception. She is already able to squat and row weights I worked the last three weeks to get to. And a part of me wanted to say "ah hell!" but then I thought about it more. Before NROL4W I would have been where I started which would have been way lighter than her. Now we are almost equal. That is a big accomplishment for me. So I am celebrating that tonight. :smile:

Glad to hear you are feeling better Julie! I have family members with thyroid issues so I know how important temperature can be.
  • elliebellie78
    elliebellie78 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    So fun reading about everyone else's lifting and lives :)
    Being that I lift and workout alone, makes it feel a little more fun, knowing others are doing the same!

I started Friday... with the program. Still feeling sore today (normally I am okay by day 3), so will probably just go for a run today, and try lifting again tomorrow... hopefully have recovered by then! My goodness.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Julie, that is so awesome! Do you think it is related to lifestyle change?

DNA, what a bummer. Hopefully you have fun in spite of the ILs. You look amazing!

Sue! What a crazy job. I won't complain about my crazy schedule anymore!

SN, I agree with the others. I think NROL4W lays a great foundation for Supercharged. Yay for being strong as your sister!!

Jo, I will never understand you cardio addicts, but go you! I am sure your cardiovascular system thanks you.

JL, good job on the protein!

I only lifted once last week. Fail.
    This week is going to be awesome!
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! The trip went really well, my little girl was an angel - not a single breakdown and she slept about half the time both ways! I’m officially deadlifting my bodyweight now which is exciting, I get to use the big boy plates (!) totally felt like a beast in the gym this morning :D:D

Doumc – sounds like a good plan to rest a bit, ouch! I had a horse throw me in high school & bruised my tailbone – I was also in a weightlifting class at the time & remember it being miserable.

Julie – I don’t know for sure what S3 accomplished either, but it’s a good feeling to have just stuck with it.

Dna – That’s awesome you finished it, way to go!

Sam – 150 is a VERY respectable squat! You’ll get there again

Cowgirl – I’m a big advocate for listening to your tired-o-meter

Sue – I’ll definitely check out the grips

Ali – Oh man, I am a sucker for Doritos, I admire your resolve! Good luck with the party

Snb – wtg with the squats, you’ll just keep getting stronger!

So I follow several NPC competitors and other lifting ladies on Instagram, and I came across this a couple days ago.

Since we were talking about the ab work being too easy and modifying and adding weight (especially the weighted side bends) I thought it was relevant. Maybe this is why they keep the ab work light? What do you ladies think?
  • Julieboolieaz
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Elsie-noooo! I sure hope that doesn't happen from side bends...but it could! Gah! That would stink! So glad your dd did well on the road trip! And WTG on the big plates! I want to feel like a beast too!! I'll get there :smile: , but you're killing it!

Bbc-I'm sure it's a combination of things. I've been re-feeding and upped my calories & carbs a lot in the past 4-5 months, my meds are stable, and I'm hoping the exercise is helping too. This week is going to be awesome!! Once is better than none! :wink:

Ellie-so glad you're enjoying it!! I like that connected feeling too! And I'm still sore from Saturdays workout too! My triceps! Ouch! It'll pass. Hang in :smile: .

Snb-very good perspective on working out with your sister. I'll bet she pushed it to keep up with you! In a few months you'll have passed her! Your doing great!!

Pmag-good job listening to your body! I added an extra rest day last week too, and can tell a difference. Great job on the bench and DLs!! WTG!!!

Sam-thanks! :smile:

Did stage 4 B1 today. Forgot about those Romanian split lunges-ouch! but so happy to DL again. I modified the ab work, but now I'm nervous that the side bends aren't gonna help...hmmm. I added weighted glute bridges too and like those! :smiley:
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Jo, I will never understand you cardio addicts, but go you! I am sure your cardiovascular system thanks you.

Lol, I certainly don't see myself as a cardio addict! That's why I choose fun classes to get my cardio rather than running atm.... can't get my groove back with that. I like combat because it's a great stress relief - I don't notice the heart rate (through the roof!) because I am focusing on the strength and direction of my punches, while the leg tracks (think plyo lunges, kicks and squats) bring on the burn.... love it.

I do have a great level of cardio fitness and I know it helps with my lifts too. Lifting and cardio compliment each other - muscles = faster, while cardio fitness = increased ability to lift heavier for longer. IMO anyway! xx
  • Ali_momof2
    Ali_momof2 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Elsie I agree with Julie NOOOOOO! But my abs are looking good and toned. My one problem are is the loose skin around my belly button area and stretch marks :'( If I could get rid of those My stomach would look great.

Dna, your back amazing. I hope mine gets like that.

Julie, thats awesome that your health has stabilized.

Ellie, I'm 100% with you. I love coming on here and sharing and seeing how everyone else is doing. There is such a great connection here and its so supportive. Its great to have a place to go and ask questions, share stories and vent when needed.

The sleepover was ok, but I'm glad its over. I'm ready to get back on track.
    I lift tonight and I think its needed. I'm having a grumpish day. Work sucks & I'd rather be home my the kids. I'm going to go home and lift away my frustrations.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    elsie_fair wrote: »
    Hey everyone! The trip went really well, my little girl was an angel - not a single breakdown and she slept about half the time both ways! I’m officially deadlifting my bodyweight now which is exciting, I get to use the big boy plates (!) totally felt like a beast in the gym this morning :D:D

Since we were talking about the ab work being too easy and modifying and adding weight (especially the weighted side bends) I thought it was relevant. Maybe this is why they keep the ab work light? What do you ladies think?

Congrats on the DL! That is awesome!

The reason the ab work is light in NROL4W is because you are indirectly working your core throughout the workout(if you're doing all the exercises correctly). Squats, DLs, BSS, lunges, push-ups, lat pull downs...they all require core strength to be performed correctly. Also, I think Alwyn considers isolation ab exercises similar to bicep curls- they are somewhat useless for those who want strength that will benefit them in everyday activities. My husband can do 50 crunches, but can barely do one prone jackknife. His overall core is actually week in spite of the fact that he's worked his abs directly for 20 years.
    As far as whether working the obliques will make your waist thicker? Probably. Just like working your glutes makes you booty "bigger". But you have to take into consideration the overall balance of your workout. But that's just my opinion.

• samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    ^ what she said lol I feel like my core is pretty strong, but flat belly I shall never have. I can do flat two minute planks (though why) and advanced plank positions and 100lb pull downs. Like Jenn Garner, Mrs. Afleck, I will always have a belly. I've come to accept it.

I had a day off, so needed it, and I spent most of the afternoon having a long lunch with my aunt and cousin and then spent three hours dealing with the kids school stuff. My youngest is on the road to being fully evaluated. I will now be the parent of a child with learning disabilities as well as teacher of students with learning disabilities. The experience has seriously increased my empathy.
  • snbouchard81
    snbouchard81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Elsie--interesting picture/message. I have been wondering if anyone has or plans to do NROL for Abs? I wonder if he discusses that idea in that book? Congrats on your deadlift!

Ali--love the perspective of lifting away your frustrations!

Barbell--do you think working on planks more often would be a better way to improve strength in the abs?

And for the people who have read Supercharged--since that is the latest version what kind of core work do they recommend in there?

• dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    It's 7.30pm and I is bored.... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Oh look, more smilies!

Supercharged and core work... what I loved the best was - no crunches! :smiley:
    I'm not allowed to do crunches (diastasis recti - split stomach muscles), so the fact that there is no emphasis on them at all makes me very happy. The jackknife is thrown in there at level 4 & 5, but I don't have to do them, I can choose something else. Lots and lots of plank variations, which I am allowed to do, so I'm nice and content to work my way through that :smile:

My tummy ain't ever gonna be pretty ever again, so I'll take what I can get :smile:
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Oooohhhh I found a cookie!!!! :cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie:
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Congrats Elsie! Nice work on the DLs.

DNA - shame you can't do the jack knife - that's my fave abs move right now! Re: abs - I echo the other replies.... the rest of the lifts engage the core and if they don't, you aren't doing it right ;) I do literally 1 abs exercise per workout in supercharged and my core is still as strong as it has ever been, no reduction in capability since I finished NROL4W.

I wasn't going to go to the gym today but a work conversation inspired me. Glad I did - new PR on DLs - 170lbs! Only 2 reps, but hey, I'll take it!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,998 Member
    Options
    lol @ cookie, dna....beautiful back shot!

I still don't like the new forum style....hope my brain can catch up quick.

Hope thanksgiving went well for canucks.

I am off to a strength group class today.
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    dna, great back photo! I want my back to look like that

Julie, yay! for feeling "normal". Makes me realize how much I take for granted

pmag, great DL! I am getting excited about your competition too.

snb, I agree with Julie. I bet your sister had to work super hard to catch up to you.

elsie, good job on the "big boy" plates! That's really where I want to get to with my squats.

Re: ab work. I just do planks and all its variations. No crunches, no side bends, nada. I've seen people with flat tummies that never do any direct ab work for the same reasons cowgirl said, doing the compound lifts already work your core.

jo, AMAZING PR! 170 is no joke!

So I'm currently on a break from dieting, and it hasn't been going so well. It's as if I've given myself permission to eat everything in sight. WTH? I'm monitoring my weight closely though, if I gain more than a lb I will have to reign myself in. For now I'm only up 0.2 lbs, so for now anything is fair game. Read: CARBS, YUMMY.

I will post my results from Hyp II in the Supercharged thread later when I come from class.

PS. I am having nightmares about the wedding.
  • Ali_momof2
    Ali_momof2 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Nightmares about the wedding OH NO :o I hope you're not stressing yourself out too much.

As for the ab work, I know my core is getting stronger I can feel how much my balance has improved. I feel a litlle less clumsy as well. And I am getting a nice toned look, ( my BF says so, so I'll take it :) )

I did make a mistake with my workout last night. I felt it as soon as it happened too. I upped my DL from 125 to 130 and I did the 1st to sets but couldn't finish the last. I did 3 reps and I felt something pull so I took off the extra 5lbs but could only do 3 more reps. I felt it the rest of the workout and couldn't do the prone cobra (what a same lol). It didn't occur to me until I was laying in bed that I added the weight wrong and I was DLing 140 not 130. I mean woo hoo for 2 sets of that but ouch. I'm going to take it easy the rest of week and hope its just a pulled muscle. We have plans to go hiking in Sedona on Saturday & I don't want to miss that. Any of you who are not familiar with Sedona, it beautiful red rock mountains & the leaves should be changing. Saturday is suppose to sunny and around 80 there.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Options
    Ali-we love Sedona! It's our favorite place! We camp at manzanita right on Oak creek (just south of Slide rock). They finally reopened the creek access and west fork is open again too I think. That fire really destroyed so much up there :(. Have a great time! Oh, and about the back, I pulled my back doing DLs early on...I know that feeling. Rest! It's hard, but it took a few weeks to feel right and whole again :o .

Jamaica-enjoy your break! Sometimes a good refeed will jumpstart losses again. If you can enjoy yourself and not gain that's a huge win! Are you worried about the wedding itself? There is a lot of stress in the planning. How's the coordinator working out?

Bb-thanks for clarifying the ab thing. I've found that as my abs have gotten stronger my form is better on DLs. I don't think I was keeping my abs strong enough initially and that is why my back got so sore. But I hate planks! Lol!

Sam-(hugs) my dd(11) has ADHD and we had an awful time in 1st and 2nd grade. She was in trouble all the time, suspended 3 times (at 7!!) and started to say she was "bad" and no one wanted to be her friend. :'( it was a really rough time for all of us. So, we started homeschooling! Crazy, I know, but it's been amazing for us. Terrified at first, but she's thriving here at home and I wish we'd done it sooner. You being involved and working with the kids is so important! You're doing a great job!

DNA- where'd you find the cookie one? Good for you planking it up! I hate them!! Wish I didn't!

Jo-dang! Great job on the DLs!! WTG!! And I like the prone JKs too!

Beeps-enjoy your class! Glad you're tackling the new forum as we'd miss you otherwise!

Snb-how do you like planks? I can't seem to get past the 60sec point. My back will hurt and I'm bored to tears! That's why I switched it up. I sure hope it's not undoing some of the good of the compound lifts!

Did my Zumba class today and 15 min on the bike since I got there early. Feels good! I don't care for cardio, but I do like my Zumba class and need to get some cardio mixed in there. If only it would actually burn off some of my extra fat stores...then I'd be super happy! I'll settle for some endorphins and fun time with my friends :).

Have a great day all!