Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• elliebellie78
    elliebellie78 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    ... when you list weights are you lifting - do you record what you lift in each arm separately, or is it combined weight? And for squats and dead lifts and other bar lifts, do you include the weight of the bar?
    - So for example I used 17.5 today in each arm for barbell rows... so is that 17.5 or 35? And my squats were just the bar, which weighs 45lbs.
    Rookie problems i know... ;) But did my first offfical stage 1, workout 1 ... all went well, except not sure i did the prone jack knives right at all ?? :\ who knows...!
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    elliebellie - For bar work, include the weight of the bar. If using dumb bells, it doesn't matter how you record them as long as it makes sense to you. Personally, I write the weight of each dumb bell. So if I used 2 x 10kgs, I'd just write 10. But it doesn't matter so long as you're consistent :smiley:
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Had a good session at the gym tonight.
    DL 100
    DB BP 25dbs
    Kneeling Pull down 75
    SL Squat 10
    And I totally rocked the metabolic.
    I have to skip zumba tomorrow because...I have a date with my husband. No special reason or special occasion. There is a musician we like who is playing a local club and the tickets were cheap. :D
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Sam, enjoy your date! You never really need a special reason to go have fun :)

Can I ask everyone how much protein they're aiming to get over day? I shoot for 100g a day and can usually get it if I eat my usual higher protein foods each day (protein shake, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, peanut butter, walnuts, high protein pita, cheese, some lentils or beans - I'm a vegetarian). One or two days a week (usually weekends, my off workout days) I don't track and don't worry so much about protein cause I get tired of eating those same foods every day.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    ....this f&cking group, or others, don't show up on my on my phone. So, posting is becoming a bore-chore.

Waaaahhhhhhhhhh.

Tomorrow i will be back at the gym closer to the lunch hour! I will get to see all my old lunchtime friends!! I hope they have missed me! BOOM!
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Hi all
    I keep being shocked at the numbers here.

Dl 170!! I wish

I tested mybp today 2x 85 but I had a spotter - so maybe not a pb

Boom keep at MFP it will get better ( or get a new phone - that's next on my list.

Sam good luck - have a great date.

So I am generally mad at technology today- it is counterproductive but how many phones/ computers/ mice/ can one person know how to use ????
    Rant over
    Tomorrow rest/ kids/ soccer/mandarin/ home remodel???
    No wonder I am exhausted can't sleep need to bench more.
    Have a good one ladies
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    A couple more pounds will do it Pmag, almost there! :smiley:

I've managed to yell at my children this afternoon. I was all nice and zen-like and then they decided to pick at each other and the girl had a meltdown over something minor... ugh. I want to be zen-like and peaceful again! :relaxed:

Maybe I'll throw one in the bath upstairs and one in the shower downstairs and then I'll make dinner.

I'm so out of it that I actually logged my food for today and after dinner I still have about 400 cals leftover. I'm stealing one of the husband's beers (all macros met and accounted for lol).

Well, either that or I'll hang on to it and have an actual muffin when I have my coffee date tomorrow.

Nah. I'll take the beer. Knowing my luck they wouldn't have any dairy-free cakes available.

Or I could be nice and just have my wine.

Decisions, decisions....
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

Sorry I have been awol again. I finally recovered from my flu and injury last week but then didn't have time to get to the gym. Instead I went to England to have my oral exam of my thesis. And I passed!!! I am now a doctor!! My eating might be a bit terrible for the next week or two because I think I will be celebrating for a while. But today I will lift!
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Thread moves too fast so I can't comment on everything. LOL

Dou, congrats on your doctorate!! What an amazing accomplishment!

dna, congrats on finishing the program. And I would have went for the wine myself. Which did you wind up choosing?

I completed Stage 4 today. Looking forward to Stage 5 and 4 reps only. The hard part will be trying to figure out how much weight to use for each movement. I don't want to go TOO heavy as I have to do 4 sets. Decisions, decisions. Any advice on that?

Did anyone here do NROL for Abs? I'm leaning towards doing that next (or Stronglifts).
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Dou - that is incredible, a huge congratulations to you!!!

Dna - it happens to all of us, beginning with the best intentions. I'm always amazed at my little one's ability to start a fire in my belly, I think it's because we're so similar :\ Enjoy your beer!

Pmag - You're so close that's awesome!

Sam - enjoy your date <3<3<3

I'm interested in the answer to lovetowrite's question, too. Getting close to the end of stage 4.

Slept through all 3 of my alarms this morning, so I missed my scheduled workout. I'll have to play catch-up tomorrow. We're out of town again this weekend, a friend's 30th birthday weekend, we're going to a little town in Nevada, kind of a "mini-Vegas" minus the hookers (I think). We've been gone so much, my house is 100% disaster I can barely walk through it :'( Sometimes I feel like I've got a pretty good rhythm down and other times it's like I barely keep my head above water ugh. We've done a lot of fun things, but I am just ready for a less busy season.

Beeps - I don't know if your phone is the same as mine, my app has never had access to the forums or groups, but in my browser it shows up like this, it took me a while to find the groups since they're in the drop-down menu from the forums.
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Congrats DouMc!

So I attempted to do an offset squat instead of my front squats this morning and failed big time :P Couldn't even do one rep with a measly 15 pound dumbbell :( So back to front squats I went, as much as I hate them. Le sigh.
  • Ali_momof2
    Ali_momof2 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Ellie, I agree with Jo. Add the weight of the bar and as for the dumbbells list is as whatever makes sense to you. I tried adding them together at first but found listing them separately easily to keep track of.

Pudding, I read somewhere that you should try to eat a gram of protein for each lb of you but that put my carbs too low to make me happy & it felt impposible to reach so I keep mine around 94 grams & if I go over yay me! I like to put a scoop of my chocolate protein powder into my greek yogurt which makes it taste simliar to chocolate pudding and has 26 g of protein. I have that for breakfast during the week.

Dou CONGRATS!!!!! That is so awesome & I am so happy for you. I'm glad al that hard work (and you worked really really hard) paid off.

Pmag, you're almost there! This is so exciting & I'm not even the one doing it lol. :D

My back feel a little bit better today, so I'll see how I am at the end of the day maybe I can do so hiit. I'm not sure about lifting though. I think I may be better off waiting a bit longer rather than forcing it & end up more hurt & doing a half assed workout.
  • elliebellie78
    elliebellie78 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Ali - what happened to your back?
    - I strained my back last night doing something idiotic... (lifting my camper... weight was okay, my stance was not, ugh) looks like i am sitting out for a little while, hoping just a couple days though at the most. If not, warning to all, because i get cranky when I miss workouts...
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    Big congratulations, Dou! That is a preety decent accomplishment.

Pmagnan - that is an awesome bench press. I did my feeble 70 BB today...mind you, i feel like i will go up to 75 BB next time bench press shows up!

I am super-duper tired, today. Missed ANY gym crowd of my own.....the morning crowd was gone by the time I showed up and the noon-time crowd had not yet arrived by the time i left.

Lonely.

Also, some chickadee in the gym was doing bicep curls with a 50BB. 50!

Holy *kitten*. she was half my age and she scared me. I picked up my 15 DB's (to do my own bicep curls) and fed her ego....what-evah!
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. But from now on its Dr Dou! :smiley:
    I finished stage 7 of NROLFW today. But I felt weak after being sick so couldn't get my normal weights and reps in. I think I am going to repeat it. and then on to Supercharged!
  • samntha14
    Options
    I'll be back tmro to read everyone's posts, but I wanted to share about my miserable walk today. We had our semi-annual evacuation walk at walk. It took us ONE HOUR to walk ONE MILE. I thought I would get a little burn to make up for missing Zumba. NOPE. Ugh, off to the show ttyl
  • samntha14
    Options
    Congrats DouMc!

So I attempted to do an offset squat instead of my front squats this morning and failed big time :P Couldn't even do one rep with a measly 15 pound dumbbell :( So back to front squats I went, as much as I hate them. Le sigh.

I like the offset. I do have decent balance but I keep the nonworking arm straight out to my side to keep from tipping over. :p

• Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Hello I've decided coaching soccer is out. Really I only exercise my vocal cords. Somehow I messed up my it band.
    Dr dou - you are amazing congrats on both the doc (major) and finishing nrolw.
    - Sam I hear you two miles biking with kids is like walking one mile.
  • snbouchard81
    snbouchard81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Instead of doing the next NROL4W workout, I joined my sister and family in a step class. The class wasn't bad but all I kept thinking was that I was missing my workout. I don't think I am going to do it again, but for tonight my arms are so sore.

Has anyone ever had the feeling after reading NROL4W that classes emphasizing individual muscle lifts like bicep curls are such a waste?
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever had the feeling after reading NROL4W that classes emphasizing individual muscle lifts like bicep curls are such a waste?

I'm assuming you don't mean in step? Bicep curls in step would be weird. I think individual focus points are useful if you want to improve a specific area. I, for example, add exercises to my workouts which focus more on upper body as my lower half is much stronger. Of course, legs/ back are still a major part of my workouts, but I select exercises which focus on shoulders and chest to supplement these lifts. If I was worried about my biceps, I'd probably pick bicep curls.... thankfully my guns are developing nicely ;) But for those wanting overall strength workouts.... yeah, bicep curls are not going to cut it