Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone...
    I'm nearing the end of stage 1 (doing 8B tomorrow) and I checked my measurements yesterday. I haven't seen many positive changes until the last week or so. But I started to notice little things like... is that a bicep? Is that a muscle in my back? Is my butt bigger :noway: but tighter:bigsmile: ?

So I checked some stats:
    When I started I was around 162# (5'8"). I gained to 165 by week 2 or 3. Now I'm back to starting weight but lost a few inches.
    Chest 37 to 36.5
    Waist 33 to 31
    Hips 42.5 to 41.5

It's going in the right direction!!!

My strategy for the next few weeks is to follow this:
    According to the calculator on scoobyworkshop.com my BMR=1495, TDEE=2317 (3-5 hrs exercise). With a goal of 15% deficit that leaves me at 1970 cals a day. When I realistically look back at my exercise it's not that much (stage 1 is HARD work but not much time in the gym) so I lowered my calories a little to reflect that. I've set my calorie goal to 1800 right now.
    So if I actually get 4 hours of exercise in then I'll be sure to eat up to 2000 a day.
    In Stage 2: I will do NROLFW three times a week and cardio 2x a week. I like jogging (a little) and cycling (a lot) but I slacked off when I started to lift. Both was too much at first. Now I'm ready to add a bit more.

If you have experience in finding the right calorie balance OR transitioning to stage 2, your thoughts are appreciated :smile:

Have a great day!

I'll be starting week 4, so maybe I'll drop back to starting weight. Heck, anything is better than more :p I have noticed that my butt looks bigger, but I think it just crawled off the back of my legs >.>

Congrats on the measurements! I'm crossing my fingers that I lose even .25 on something. I just don't see if I look smaller but I do have to look at myself all day.

Scooby gives me a BMR of 1527, TDEE of 2367 and a calorie goal of 2012 with a 15% cut. Right now I'm using the book calculations and have my calories at 1600 (the book gave me a little over that for a 300 cal cut) and 1800-2000 on workout days so unfortunately I don't have any help for you. I'm doing the weights 3 times a week and 2 days of cardio (walking or running, usually HIIT if running) so I'd be interested in seeing what people note with their calorie issues too :)
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Ugh copped a shoe in the knee today at netball and it's way swollen. I was going to lift after netball but that was obviously out! I've iced it and it's currently elevated but since I have a 4km fun run on Sun I'm thinking it's best if no lifting this week? Sucks as I only have 4 workouts left and wanted to fit 2 in as I can only do 2 next week (softball tournament all weekend so he latest I can lift is Wed)
  • lostalykat
    lostalykat Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I just want to say thank you to so many people on this thread. I was feeling discouraged this morning, partially because I am tired and I think I am fighting a cold. I almost wanted to abandon the program and go back to trying to "lose weight" I even considered trying these diet pills that I got as a free sample from GNC. But all it takes is coming on here and realizing what I really want have happen and how I want to feel on my wedding day in around 3 months. I know I want to feel and look strong and be healthy and that doesn't come with crash dieting or "cleanses" that make the weight drop. I had a rough weekend being really busy, had too much wine at girls night on Friday but I did walk bay to breakers on Sunday which was super fun and got me some good low impact exercise. I am exhausted from that still so I am going to rest today and possibly tomorrow and get back to NROLFW on Wednesday, possibly Tuesday depending on how I feel. I really need to take measurements on Wednesday and pictures so I can see some measurable progress. But in any case thanks a lot I feel much better just checking out this thread :)
  • worthyofchange
    worthyofchange Posts: 165 Member
    Options

I have noticed that my butt looks bigger, but I think it just crawled off the back of my legs >.>

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • worthyofchange
    worthyofchange Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I really need to take measurements on Wednesday and pictures so I can see some measurable progress. But in any case thanks a lot I feel much better just checking out this thread :)

Lostalykat: that's how I feel too. It really does help me from making a rash decisions. Eat nothing! run a marathon without training!, etc...
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    That does suck Lozze, you're going to need your knees, so be cautious!

I did an experiment this morning, I've been getting horrendous DOMS in my butt/hips/hamstrings and don't have a foam roller (can't find them here), so I got some tennis balls and kind of rolled around on top of one, which looked REALLY silly, but totally helped! Hurts like hell, but after a good sleep the pain/stiffness isn't so bad.

I'm exactly halfway thru stage 4, and now am on a week off from lifting as i have a long weekend away and some other stuff, so after this i guess I'll power thru the rest of stage 4 and all of 5 in one go.

I've been looking into stronglifts 5x5, I think i'm going to try that when this is finished. Seems so simple and effective. Would love to see how high i can get the big lifts up to. I'm already wide-grip deadlifting more weight than I was regularly deadlifting in stage 1.

Happy Monday!
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options

I've been looking into stronglifts 5x5, I think i'm going to try that when this is finished. Seems so simple and effective. Would love to see how high i can get the big lifts up to. I'm already wide-grip deadlifting more weight than I was regularly deadlifting in stage 1.

That's my plan as well. I want to get strong!

Lozze - sorry about the knee!! probably best to give it a rest.
  • crystal8208
    crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm attempting to lose weight as well, but I'm kinda testing the waters to see what will happen. If I lose some inches/pounds fabulous, but if I'm understanding correctly, doing this program as a big 'ole gal will help me lose fatness and look better overall. I'm hoping that by strengthening the muscles now, it will help me to lose the fatness more than just cardio-ing myself to death. :sick: I hit such a strong plateau I was ready to try anything LOL! :wink:
  • DrG3n3
    Options
    I measured my hips today. I don't know if it's retaining water (I did B5 yesterday with some heavier weights) or if its that I was wearing pants, or a combo of the two, but I think I ended up measuring a 1.5 inch increase o.O Which is weird because I have NOT been eating over my TDEE, about 100 above my BMR on non workout days(174 below what the book recommends and 400 below what scooby recommends so 1600 here whereas the book lists 1774 and scooby says 2000), and I FEEL smaller, and I feel like I look smaller. I guess I'll def have to wait until my rest week (for all of the water to flush out) and see. Anyway, did you guys notice that you held water all the time? It's almost been 4 weeks into the program and I guess I thought my muscles would get used to the workouts. I've been increasing weights pretty much, so that it's hard to finish the reps, so could it be water still?

Also, besides doing the workouts 3 times a week, I do two days of cardio. Could I not be working hard enough? I feel practically dead afterwards, like a limp noodle sloshing up the stairs to leave the gym. Or maybe not eating enough? But if I didn't eat enough, would my inches increase? Sorry guys, as a chunky gal it hurts to see anything change in the wrong direction and I'm just looking for insight.
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I have a dr appt this morning. Hopefully she can help figure out why I don't sleep as well as some other issues.

I'm exhausted this morning. Sunday I did my first 5K mud run (walk for me). It was a lot of fun. Took me forever. I did it with my 13yo dd. She did terrific, and could have finished earlier if it weren't for me! I breezed through the obstacles (thank you new muscles), but my CV is pitiful.

Being the optimist that I am, I lifted yesterday instead of resting. Needless to say, I am hoping for a nap later. Even though I know I won't sleep. I am also pet sitting my mom's yorkie, who is high maintenance. I have a Boston Terrier, who thankfully is not, but I have to watch them very closely when together. Better than babysitting, I suppose. :-P

I am also very thankful to be halfway though stage 2. I bought the NROL4L and NROL4A this weekend. DH has the original book. I'm looking forward to sitting down and comparing them all.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,981 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking 'strong-lifts', too. But, I might also try "Strong Curves" which is coming out August 1, 2012. We shall see.

DrG3n3 - follow the calories in the NROL4W book - you won't gain weight after the first 6 - 8 weeks (which was all water weight, anyway, from the introduction to weight-training, actually). If you are EXHAUSTED after a work-out, I say "congrats" - you've left it ALL on the floor and that's ALL that you can do!

Jessica - I hope you get some answers. Sleep deprivation is THE WORST.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I did get a work-out in all 3 days of the long weekend. I won't get one in today, because I have a luncheon and I have (other) commitments after work.

I did my 2nd "B" work-out from Stage 5 yesterday. It was good. I went up in weights on my BB deadlift-row combo and my wide-grip lat pull-down. Nice.

Only 9 days left in the month of May. So, I'm doing "strict" diet over those days - because I know I can and because I have to weigh-measure-take photos at month-end and I REALLY want something to show up, somewhere....
  • DrG3n3
    Options
    I'm thinking 'strong-lifts', too. But, I might also try "Strong Curves" which is coming out August 1, 2012. We shall see.

DrG3n3 - follow the calories in the NROL4W book - you won't gain weight after the first 6 - 8 weeks (which was all water weight, anyway, from the introduction to weight-training, actually). If you are EXHAUSTED after a work-out, I say "congrats" - you've left it ALL on the floor and that's ALL that you can do!

Jessica - I hope you get some answers. Sleep deprivation is THE WORST.

Thanks. Hoping to up to the 1774 at the beginning of the new month. Trying to give my body time to get used to 1600. I was on 1440 so I don't want to shock myself too bad. Plus I get paid and can buy more vittles. Good luck with the weigh in! I can't wait for the darn scale to go the right way.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    yeah....I can't wait for the scale to go in the right direction, as well.

however, the truth is, NROL4W is about "fat loss" - it really isn't about weight loss. And, how do you know if it's "fat"?? If it jiggles, it's fat. I have plenty o' jiggly parts on my body that lead me to believe I've got plenty o' fat to attend to....

And THAT'S where the heavy-lifting comes in, lol!!
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Contemplating if I should walk today. A nice stroll outside would be great but I hate walking outside by myself. IF I go to the gym I will push and push myself because I feel like I must. (Therefore, exhausted for the rest of the day)

hmmmm, decisions decisions.
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Contemplating if I should walk today. A nice stroll outside would be great but I hate walking outside by myself. IF I go to the gym I will push and push myself because I feel like I must. (Therefore, exhausted for the rest of the day)

hmmmm, decisions decisions.

oh, you sound sooo much like me. It is funny but on my little street, I putz when I run. When I'm running on the 'big roads' with traffic, I bust da move! lol.. Sounds like you NEED the gym. Exhaustion for me = way better sleep!
  • DrG3n3
    Options
    yeah....I can't wait for the scale to go in the right direction, as well.

however, the truth is, NROL4W is about "fat loss" - it really isn't about weight loss. And, how do you know if it's "fat"?? If it jiggles, it's fat. I have plenty o' jiggly parts on my body that lead me to believe I've got plenty o' fat to attend to....

And THAT'S where the heavy-lifting comes in, lol!!

Haha, trust me, you've got a jiggly partner then. I jiggle myself just because it makes me laugh and my partner looks at me like I'm nuts. My question is, if I am doing the fat loss, and losing fat, is it the water retention that masks the weight loss? Because if I lose a lb of fat, however long that takes, but the scale goes up 3 lbs, that seems like a lotta water.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    You won't retain water, from weight-training, forever....but, as a newbie, you will probably retain it for a month- or two-.

I don't think I'm retaining water (anymore) from weight-training. I think I retain from salt intake (sometimes), from carb intake (often) and from TOM (once-per-month).

That's why going up- or down- 2 or 3 lbs. is meaningless to me. Get me into the 5-lb. range, now I *know* it's fat loss.
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm the same with 2-3 pound fluctuation... I don't post a weight loss on the MFP check in unless it's a couple of pounds down and has been there for a week or so.

Pictures, pictures, pictures, measure, measure, measure. Weigh on the scale, make a note, forget about it. Eat right, workout, live your life!

:flowerforyou:
  • DrG3n3
    Options
    My measuring skills seem to be lacking, because it seems like my hips went up when I feel like they went down. We'll see in a few weeks. Fingers crossed.