Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday, everyone!

Dawn, awesome numbers! And 80 lbs lost, wow! 130 is my goal weight, I'm currently stalled around 155, despite my diet being pretty much on point. Keep having to remind myself to be patient.

Set up my power rack this weekend, so excited. Even DH was impressed, and he's not easily impressed and he wasn't very enthusiastic about the purchase before. But he realized he could do bench presses and chin ups at home now, so he is happy. I did Stage 4, Workout B, #2 on Saturday, I won't post all those numbers, but it was the 2x15 day and I think I could have challenged myself a little more.

Yesterday I ran 2 miles on the treadmill and then walked around the zoo for a few hours carrying the cutest 25 lb weight and occasionally a cute 40 lb one too.

This morning I did Stage 4, Workout A, #3
    Suspended plank 2x50s
    Bird dog 4x15s
    Half kneeling cable chop, bought the rope attachment but still feeling awkward with these

Back squat 3x12@50 lbs. Heaviest squats yet as now I don't have to worry about knocking myself out trying to get the bar over my head!
    Lat pulldown 3x12@60 lbs. Thinking about ordering those superbands to do assisted chin ups on my new rack.
    Step ups 3x12@12 lbs. Step ups are my nemesis.
    DB bench press 3x12@20 lbs each hand

Managed to squeak in a 5th interval within the 10 minutes, so I guess the plan is working. Weights don't seem to go up in this Stage as consistently due to the changing number of reps and sets, but I did realize that in Stage 3, I was doing DB bench press of 3x8@20 lbs, so 3x12 at the same weight is 50% more work. Woot!
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! Sorry I've been MIA. I was so sick! Sinus infection then settled in my chest. Still not 100% after 2 weeks! Gr, so impatient and just want to be back where I was, peppy, energetic and feeling strong! I lifted today, lower body, and was so bummed at the de-loading I had to do. But, I got in a good workout even thong it took longer than normal and was lighter weights than I'd been lifting. At least I'm back at it. :)

Welcome aigre! Your doing great with Strong! I'd love my own rack!
    Dawn-always amazing! Hope you're feeling better and hit your goal on Friday! I am sure you'll rock this meet!
    Beeps-good routine going there!!
    Jo-woohoo on the dexa! Great work! Hope all the insanity and moving is going well :)
    Manic-⎌hope the tests/MRI go well and you're feeling good.

Where's Kim? And Dna, pudding, sue...

I've been doing some IF and am finally losing some weight again! I've been stuck for almost a year with 10 lbs from vacation!! Finally heading in the right direction again. Yay!

Take care all and keep up the good work lifting!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,991 Member
    Options
    ...getting tougher to (remember to) post, since I am just short-on-time these days.

I did get to the gym on Sunday and I went this morning. So, for the week, I expect ONLY Wednesday will be "rest"....and I am getting better at getting "in-and-out" in one hour. Splits are GREAT FOR THAT!

BOOM!
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I'm here, I'm here!

Only lifted twice last week as I think I pulled a little something in my mid-back doing lay pulldowns on Thursday, so I skipped Saturday's lift (ran instead) and will get back to the weights tomorrow. It doesn't feel too bad so hopefully I can finish stage 4 of Strong next week as planned. Then I should be able to finish the next stage before heading off on a one-week AI vacation at the end of May. I will still hit the gym a few times but more to stay in the habit, and cause it makes me feel good, than to keep going with Strong or make any progress. But it will be much easier to get back to Strong once I've returns if I do a bit on our trip.

I've planned a big Mother's Day/pre trip shopping day for myself in about a month. I try to do that every year for myself around Mother's Day, shop only for me, new spring clothes. I definitely need some stuff, including a bathing suit. I really wanted to get a bikini finally but I still have some loose skin right above my belly button (thanks to two csections) and I just don't think I'd feel comfortable, even though I feel good (and think I look good) otherwise. Undecided. I know plenty of women do it but not sure I can.

Hope you're all doing well...sure sounds like it, for the most part!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Aigre - Thanks. The stalls are frustrating but you'll get there. From December to about March I didn't have much happening. And now it's still very slow but I'd rather eat a little bit more and have slow cause mmm food.

Julie - ick, sinus infection. I hope you get completely better soon. I have been trying out IF too. Kind of like the approach. Trying to get low calorie with several tiny meals just didn't help me before, so it's nice to have the calories in the time window instead.

Beeps - Nice to see you but we understand time restraints. Keep being awesome. :wink:

Pudding - Sounds fun. I am lacking in clothes too and going to LA in May. hmmm That stomach thing, it's tough. I've never had a bikini and finally close to a "healthy weight" but that stomach. Lifting is great but still have to work on that mental side and getting comfortable with body despite imperfections.

Last lifting session before the meet. Did squat, bench then deadlift at the gym even put up with the cage for the bench. Went pretty well though squat felt the most challenging. Think the numbers might work well for my first attempts.

Chapter 9: First Attempts

warm up for squats - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95, 1x6 @ 135
    Squats 3x1 @ 185 with belt

warm up for bench - 1x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 75, 1x5 @ 95
    Bench 3x1 @ 105

warm up for deadlift - 1x6 @ 135, 1x5 @ 185
    Deadlift 3x1 @ 225

Imagined the cues on them all. Still a little nervous about that and all of the details that will be different, like the number of people around. Wish I had family or something nearby so that I didn't have to do the whole event alone. I would like to get video but that may not be plausible since no one is going with me. Will have to wait and see. Anyways, no more lifting until Sunday. I have off from work Wednesday and Thursday, then Saturday and Sunday. Almost like a mini vacation except that one work day in between. Will be nice and I just have a few things to get ready (food and such).

It's almost here. Then will have to figure out what I do next.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Pudding....bikinis are wqaaaaay out of my comfort zone....even as a skinny-minnie i never liked the "bare"ness. This year i bought tankinis, board shorts and a maillot! Haven't done a one-piece in about a decade.....why not?!?! BOOM!
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hi ladies - I'm here, plodding along as usual.

Had an exam yesterday (hopefully the last in my professional career, but i've already tried it twice before so I'm not holding out TOO much hope), and my 30th birthday last Friday (which I spent revising... fun), so eating has been a bit all over the place.

I'm back to low-carbing today (I am also doing a bit of IF, as I really don't get hungry in the mornings when I'm low carbing).

Dawn - your meet is so close, I am excited on your behalf!

Today was:

Alternating side plank - 2 x 12, these are actually quite easy so I should probably figure out how to make them tougher
    Back squat with pause (2 secs) - 3 x 8 @ 45kg, will bump it up to 50 next time just to see. I think it'll be doable
    Single arm dead stop row - 3 x 8 each arm @ 14kg dumbell
    Single leg DL (single arm too!) - 3 x 8 each leg @ 12kg kettlebell
    Incline pushups (level 5 on smith machine) - 3 x 8, these are feeling nicer, going to drop down to level 4 next time and hope for the best!

Finished up with 30 sec on/ 30 sec off treadmill sprints for 10 minutes. I am DEAD!

And one of my teeth has suddenly started to hurt :( hopefully it's just because I drank too cold water and it's a bit sensitive.

Have a good day!
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Hello!

Julie - so sorry you are sick. Hope you feel better soon! That's the worst, really. Good for you the scale is heading down!

Pudding - oh fun, shopping! I don't know that I would ever wear a full on bikini either. For one thing, I'm pale as a ghost and that just means extra sunscreen. I could kind of see wearing one of those retro ones with the high waist though. No new clothes for me until the current ones get too big, though!

Dawn - good luck at the meet! I'm sure you will do great!

Stephie - wow, awesome weights! Hope your tooth feels better. Happy Birthday!

No lifting for me today. Ran 2 miles on the treadmill this morning watching "fixer upper". Now I want a wardrobe like Joanna Gaines. Probably will walk this afternoon to another site and back, about 20 minutes each way. If the rain holds off. Stage 4, workout B, #3 tomorrow.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I don't even know who Joanna Gaines is!

Stephie, I love IF!

Lifted today....three days in a row. BOOM!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Looking forward to the meet anxiously.

Scale showed 130.4 just before 1 pm so made the 80 lbs lost mark, which was nice to hit even if there will be some fluctuations next week. Been a long journey so far but have amazing support both online and in person.

Had a bit of a rough day. Just felt off lately with being tired all of the time and mild nausea. Been doing light cardio lately, the elliptical for about 30 minutes. Thought I'd try to do a run but not super long yet. Bad idea. I didn't make it to the 42 minutes planned. Started okay but ended up stopping after less than 35 minutes. During the walk things got worse too. It wasn't tunnel vision or darkness but instead the opposite where it was like the brightness got turned up a lot. I was under trees but the plants on the ground were near neon in the brightness of their green color. I had to pause often, even sit on a log for 5 minutes. So, that was the closest I've ever been to passing out. On the way home, I bought a box of rice krispy treats and had one. Trying to get up to 1300 calories today and enjoying some dairy but head hurts plus nausea is making it a challenge just to eat.

Resting tomorrow. Doing laundry tonight. Need rest though so good thing I have two days off and not even going to do cardio tomorrow cause body is having a rough time right now.

Nice note: customer commented on my weight loss and said I was looking good when I stopped in to buy water. Was nice even when not feeling up to par.
  • StephieWillcox
    Options
    Beeps - I would not have been able to consider IF before low-carb, but now I'm thinking it might work. It does mean I go to the gym on an empty stomach but it hasn't been a problem yet.

Aigre - Thanks! My tooth does indeed feel better so that's good, the pain lasted about a day though so should probably book a dentist check-up soon!

Dawn - wow 80lbs lost is incredible! That also means that you and I started at the same weight (or near enough - since I started at 211). That is very inspirational - congratulations.

Hope you're felling better after a rest and some more food?

Just got done with the gym, have torn my hands apart deadlifting (well only my left hand, but still, ouch).

Valslide pushaway 2 x12
    Deadlifts 3 x 8 @ 65kg - these were tough, mainly because of the grip. I got them all so I am considering trying 70 next time, will see how I feel on the day
    Incline bench press 3 x 8 @ 2x14kg dumbells - second set i missed one actually, so make that 8,7,8
    Rear foot elevated split squat 3 x 8 @ 15kg barbell, definitely need to pick up a heavier barbell next time. These always feel hard but I could definitely have been pushing more weight up
    X cable pull down - 3 x 8 @ level 5 each arm, whatever that is. Around 40kg each judging from another machine, but bit clueless

Skipped cardio because my legs were hurting, but did have an extended stretch.

Sorry I know we go over this a lot, but should I just suck it up with the ripped up hands, or do people wear gloves?
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Beeps - Joanna Gaines is on this silly HGTV show where she and her husband remodel a house for people. Helps me get through boring treadmill runs, and honestly that's the only time I have to watch TV anyway!

Dawn, bummer about not feeling well but glad you have time to rest before the meet!

Stephie - glad your tooth is better! I did get some gloves off Amazon, but my palms were still starting to blister after my deadlifts yesterday. I really baby my hands as they are a big part of my career, so it is making me nervous. I don't know what more to do and look forward to others' input as well!

Yesterday did Strong Stage 4, Workout B, #3
    Suspended side plank 30sx2 each side
    Half-kneeling cable lift 2x10 each side
    Deadlift off blocks 1x10@80lbs, then increased 2x10@90lbs. Feel like I could go higher on this, worst part was my hand skin burning like crazy despite gloves :(
    Pushup variation. Having trouble figuring out good height to use for these. 18 inch bench is too low for me to do any meaningful reps. Want to do something other than the TRX. I think I need something like 24 inch high, but not sure what to use.
    Side lunge and touch, 3x10@25 lbs
    Standing single arm cable row 3x10 each side, about 35 lbs worth of resistance bands

10 min of intervals, managed 5 this time.

Today was 2 miles of running on treadmill this morning, a bunch of walking around today.
  • StephieWillcox
    Options
    Aigre - you are being very good with following the program.. as you can tell from my report on Stage 3 I have not been so dilligent by pulling regular deadlifts :)

I may go back to rack pulls for stage 4, or I might not... I like deadlifts too much to mess around with them too much >:)
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Oh, it's not diligence, just inexperience and lack of creativity to do anything different than what is written! ;)
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I tried a volume-lifting day, today....good to shake out the cobwebs.

BOOM!
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Hey lifting lovelies!!

Beeps-go girl!

Dawn-it's here! It's here!! So excited for you!!! I know you'll do great!! Not sure what happened there? Sounds like a bad low blood sugar? Be careful!! Hope your feeling better! I wish you much luck this weekend!! Go get it dawn!!

Stephe-you're doing great! Good progress!!

Aigre-you too! Wtg!! You're rocking it!

Got my third workout in this week! Finally!! I feel much better, but still having issues with stamina :(. Not back to my full weights yet, but getting there. Going away for the weekend (ladies refers with friends from church) and going to try to not overeat! I'll be hiking which will be nice.

• DawnEmbers
    Options
    The rest is definitely nice though also getting anxious for the meet. I didn't do much today at all. Slept in really late then walked around the mall. Found a light weight, crop top shirt to wear under the singlet. The shirt I had was fine and small but a tad thick and still awkward length under the thing. We'll see how the crop top feels under it. Felt very weird buying a crop top even though I never plan to wear it just by itself, but had to do that to try on in the store. Also was just weird cause I bought a size extra small... x.x It's still a little hard to fathom after being xxl or xxxl. Yet still overweight for height. Sizing is weird.

Julie - maybe that's what it was, low blood sugar. I dunno. I always run fasted but this last week has been off.

Definitely, next time I have a cold when I'm recovering I'm not dropping to low calorie. Most of the time it's recommended to eat closer to maintenance cause the body needs calories to help with the healing process. Despite nausea, I'd normally try to get an okay amount in and would manage but with the weigh in looming, I went low calorie instead.

Hopefully the food post weigh in and morning of meet helps cause need strength to compete. I won't eat or drink all day Saturday before the weigh in time but probably helps my IF starts after 4pm normally so 5 isn't as big of a stretch for me. Will have a protein snack with me then go get food after am done making weight. Planning on Wendy's cause I can get protein, fat, sodium, and carbs all in one easy meal. Then will grab a couple of things from the grocery store as I think I'll have a bagel with vegan cream cheese for breakfast. I have less than a serving left and some raspberry jam to add to it, which is good on grain bagels. mmm

For now, it's low sodium foods today and tomorrow. Had chicken thigh and veggies with no salt added for dinner. Not going super low sodium, just trying to not go over the MFP recommended amount, which I do probably too often. Food is good though and I like the taste of the products so shouldn't be bad. I'm working 8 hours tomorrow starting at noon. So plenty of time to rest afterwards and drink coffee cause I slept in so late today I probably won't get enough hours tonight, seems to happen often that way. Saturday will be sleep in then go watch some of the men's lifting while hoping to hit the weigh in as early as allowed. ;-) So much to do but it's almost done.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Email from the meet. Plus side, there is also an 8 am weigh in for Sunday lifters. So, I don't have to wait until 5pm if I don't want to do such. However, I would have to get up much earlier than planned in order to drive over there. I was just going to sleep in then maybe go watch the men lift as I missed deadlifts last time I went to a meet since it was still a work day then. But if I get up and weigh in the morning that's a little easier to weigh less plus I have all Saturday to snack and such instead of getting all the calories after 5 pm. hmmm I will probably hit the am one since I'm definitely under 132, so then I don't have to spend all day not drinking water.
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Sooo.......I've been disappointingly MIA. I had a problem with my hip that kept getting progressively worse. I'm stubborn so I carried on. I would like to say I limped off the treadmill one day, but it really wasn't that graceful, but the end result was that I could only get up and down stairs on my hands and knees. Rest was prescribed, but 3 weeks later, although I can walk, I still have the pain. There is clearly something not right. So I have an x-ray on it this morning, and we will take it from there.

During that time, the combination of me feeling meh, and with my husband celebrating his 50th birthday, which did involve a LOT of celebrating, I have really let it all slide. Then comes the spiral of needing to start in order to feel better etc.

The kick up the backside was that I got home last night to find we have a leaking pipe that is difficult to get to - hence the water has been turned off at home. I therefore needed to go to the gym this morning primarily so that I could shower! But while I was there I did half an hour upper body work - lat pull downs, bench press, seated rows, etc. So I have made my re-start, and will adapt according to the hip pain, and the results of the x-ray.

I NEED to do this - I feel so much better when I do. Also, I have a gorgeous full length gold gown to wear for a ball in 8 weeks. I am NOT going to let myself down!!

I've not checked in to see how everyone is doing - so apologies if this post doesn't address other people's successes and struggles. I will read through it in my lunch break and get up to date.

x
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Morning weugh in isbest, Dawn.

Kimi, you can DO this! The gown sounds lovely!