Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I wish I was properly moved! We are just in short term accommodation living out of boxes/ suitcases
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,991 Member
    Options
    1) stephie, i would keep the wide squat, hit parallel and don't go over 40 kg...the knee valgus thing can be worked an and improved before upping the weights anymore.

BOOM!
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Stephie-for whatever reason (compressed disc lower back, shot torso long legs,...) I do better on a wider stance squat and can get lower. I notice a little knee cave, particularly my right knee which is the weaker one b/c I tore my medial and lateral collateral last December, but I can still feel more progress with those than a closer stance shallow squat. ((Hugs)) on the terrors, that's awful, but hopefully will pass soon! IF is working well for me!

Supermel- I was a lcer for 12 years so hitting my protein goal is not hard for me. I keep boars head smoked turkey in the fridge, Lf Greek yogurt and supplement with shakes if I need to. I shoot for 100-120 a day. I eat about the ratios you listed, and am trying to lower fat and up Carbs a bit.

Beeps-some days are just like that, you've got this.

Jo-((hugs)) moving, twice! Really stinks :(

Aigre-youre doing great! Love the rewards after each stage! Great idea! And your sprint is fast! Wig!!

Dawn-it's kind of nice to just do what you feel like in the gym, enjoy walking in the nice weather!!

I'm doing well, Tom finally came (late!) and left, so I'm finally moving down the scale again. Still following IF, 7 weeks now, and feeling good. I'm surprised how easy the fasting times are now, they were rough the first few weeks. This is the only thing that has helped me lose some weight in over a year of trying! Yay!

I think I'll get Strong and start it this summer. I like my lifting plan and am confident in my moves, but the variety in NR will challenge me and shake things up, and in all honesty, probably be harder than what I am doing now. If I don't enjoy it, I can go back to PHUL.

I leave for my big European adventure in 2 weeks!!!! Crazy! I'm excited but know I'll be heavier when I return. I don't care ;) croissants, gelato, pizza, baguettes.,,all part of the fun for me. I'll repair when I return :smiley:

• Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I decided to run nrolw again then try strong so far so good.
    I also plan to cycle more as our family vacation in June will have some Rides.
    Have a good Monday
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Belated congratulations Dawn - nice job on the meet
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday!

Stephie - sorry about the yucky workout. I don't know the answer to your squat question, obviously, since I'm still struggling with mine. Honestly, I wish I had given up nursing around 12-14 months like I did with my son. At this point she is too attached and it is difficult to wean her, even though I don't even think she is getting much, if anything.

Jo - ugh, moving! We moved last summer, I hope to never move again!

Julie - So exciting about your trip! Where in Europe are you going?

Saturday 2.6 mile run
    Sunday rest day, 2 mile walk with stroller
    Today Strong, Stage 4, Workout A, #6
    Suspended plank 1x60s, 1x30s. Really tried for 2x60 but my back was caving in.
    Bird dog 4x15, 2 sets
    Half kneeling cable chop 2x10@25 lbs
    Back squat 2x12@50lbs, 1x8@50 lbs. Not sure why I completely hit a wall here. My right shin has been bothering me and I think I'm somehow pushing off with it to keep my weight on my heels. I did 3x12 at this weight 2 weeks ago, so not sure why today just seemed so difficult.
    Chin ups 3x5 flexed arm hangx3 seconds then negative descent with resistance band
    Step ups 1x12@8 lbs, 2x12@10 lbs. Felt these tweaking my shin too so went light
    Bench press 3x12@20 lbs. Wanted to try for 25 lbs, but knew I wouldn't be able to do it.
    Skipped intervals due to shin thing.
    All in all, a worse workout than the same program 2 weeks ago. Oh well, I'll keep on keeping!
  • SuperMelinator
    SuperMelinator Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Stephie - I have PCOS also - I've never met anyone else with it. Was diagnosed in September 2014. I had no idea that going 2+ months in between girly times wasn't normal until I was trying to get pregs! I really don't know much about it at this point because it doesn't cause me pain since I got a tubal ligation. The info you provided is food for thought. I don't typically try to go low carb, but I definitely try to watch it because they tend to make me gassy and uncomfortable. I went on Metformin for a couple months at first - most uncomfortable, gross 2 months of my life.

Aigre - I never thought to do intervals by HR. I'm a newb so maybe that's why. Maybe I'll try that instead. I have short legs so running that fast makes me super nervous that I'm going to shoot off the end of the treadmill haha! How much time do you spend at the gym?? Just doing a few sets of different lifts + a 5 min warm-up takes up a whole hour for me. I only have my lunch break to lift, so I have to keep it to an hour max. As long as you keep keeping, that's what matters sometimes.

Jo - Living out of boxes really REALLY stinks. Hope you don't have to be in short-term for long.

NROL, stage 1, workout b, #4
    Deadlifts, 15@65, 15@75
    Dumbbell shoulder press - 2x15@25
    wide-grip lat pulldown - 2x15@35
    lunge - 2x15@20
    swiss ball crunch - 2x20@bw
    hip abduction - 15@40, 15@50, 15@50 pulses

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Pmagna - thanks. :smile:

Went to the gym after work last night for an upper body session. It is nice to bring back things that dropped off near the end of training but will be nice when I can figure out some programming since I want to increase on the main lifts by October. I will probably be doing something similar to PHUL just with some tweaks to accessories in the near future. Need to plan out the days I lift and cardio time since have the 10k obstacle run in under a month, and eventually the half marathon.

Bench 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 75 and 3x5 @ 95

pull ups 1x1 and 2x2 with different grips. On the assisted machine but it was broken so a weight was holding the assistance part down on the ground. So, it was just regular pull up attempts. First set wide grip and other two on the pegs that jut out closer to the center.

lat pull down 3x10 @ 70
    overhead tri 3x10 @ 35

face pull 3x8 @ 70

Then went on the elliptical for 30 minutes to watch a little youtube on phone, also texted with my sister. Am planning just to increase cardio instead of doing low calorie for right now since I also have cardio goals and if I go too low calorie it affects my performance.
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Hello lovely ladies! I hate this whole business of feeling "meh" and being out of routine. The hip is improving but it won't allow me to run, and I'm scared to squat heavy, lunging hurts as do step ups (although I don't miss those in the same way!) so I've hidden away from all things exercise other than one measly trip to the gym about 10 days ago. I've also stayed away from these boards, because I got jealous of what you were all doing!!

This also overspills into my eating - bags of Haribo, bars of chocolate, a complete lack of tracking. It's frightening how much everything overlaps....exercise, food, wellbeing blah blah blah.

So, having noticed that my muscles ache MORE from a lack of exercise than they do when I exercise, and being aware that my previously firm tum is rather too "soft" for my liking, I have done something about it. I can't do what I want to do, but I can do something.

I tracked yesterday, and have done so for breakfast this morning.

I went for a 2 mile power walk at lunchtime yesterday (in place of my run) and then went to the gym last night for an hour - did 2 miles on the cross trainer, and then did a bit of arm and shoulder work in the gym.

I want to be back in my proper routine. I realise what I like, and what I need, and I MISS IT. I also need the support that these boards give, so I'm hiding no more!

So, its up to me to do something about it. It's not just about looks, in fact, the majority of it is NOTHING to do with looks. It's to do with my sanity. My wellbeing. My feeling of being in control of something. I'm sure you can all relate!

I can do this. More importantly, I WANT to do this. I don't know what my current goals are, but I am about to book next year's ski holiday, so I need to be fit, not injured by then!!
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    And keeping the momentum going....power walked three miles in my lunchbreak today.
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Aigre - I'm sure you're still giving her benefits by nursing! I think with my next (hopefully!) baby I will try to nurse for a bit longer than 6 months.

Beeps - thanks, I will keep the wide squat and work on my cave. I think it is to do with not strong enough glutes (or perhaps just not activating them) so I have plenty of things to work on there!

Julie - Thank you. I am hesitant to say for sure, but the last two nights and her last two naps (she only has one nap a day now) she hasn't had any terrors, so I am super hopeful that she is over them for now. She seems to be learning to talk so it may have been related.

Supermelinator - I think many people are like yourself and don't realise they have PCOS until they try to get pregnant. I actually didn't have much trouble getting pregnant (we tried for 5 months before I got pregnant), but I have many other obvious signs of PCOS - the increased hair growth in "male" areas, acne, additional weight on stomach, and insulin resistance. If you don't have insulin resistance then you will not need to limit carbs as much as I need to - however you would probably be best to stick to lower glycemic index foods as PCOS'ers tend to do better on those, even if they don't have insulin resistance.

Dawn - I will be very interested to see how you incorporate your 10k training with your weights - please share your routine/thoughts when you get it planned out. It is one of my life aims to be able to run (at least 5k, maybe 10k) in a decent time.

Kimi - I have the same trouble. If I don't go to the gym everything else falls apart. I'm glad you're focusing on YOU right now, and I hope you can find some calm. The power walks will definitely help.

I ended up going home yesterday from work with a migraine so didn't risk the gym today.

Tomorrow I'm getting my hair sorted (it's currently dyed a vibrant red, so I'm getting the red stripped out, a brown put back in, and getting it cut - with the eventual plan of going blonde), which I cannot wait for. It means I won't get to the gym until Thursday though to work on my squats.

Well that turned into an essay - apologies :) have a good tuesday!

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,991 Member
    Options

Beeps - thanks, I will keep the wide squat and work on my cave. I think it is to do with not strong enough glutes (or perhaps just not activating them) so I have plenty of things to work on there!

Dunno....I know when I worked with a personal-trainer, to help me with my knee-valgus issue, this is what he said:

1. it was due to "weak" ankles...so we did quite a few warm-up things (prior to every lifting session) to work on "weak ankles"); and
    2. that if you put a band around the top of your knees (i.e. so low down on your quads....), that would help your body PUSH your knees out, while you squatted.

I did both of those things. I do think I have strong ankles, now, since my balance is actually exceptionally good (and I work on balance-deficiencies by doing quite a bit of single-leg and single-arm work). But, the whole "band over your knees" thing....I dunno....I did it, but I just have never really gotten very good at squat-form.

Bret C. also hi-lited, just a few weeks/months ago, what happens to squat-form if you have LONG thigh bones .... and once I saw that report, I thought "BINGO!"....I think my squat form sucks, in part, because I have long-thigh-bones. So, keeping "upright torso" is really a challenge for me. Basically a "no-go".

For you, valgus knee might be a response to something else....weak hips....who knows?!?!?

• Julieboolieaz
    Options
    Beeps/Steph-I'm in the long high, can't stay upright squatting group too. After lots of videos, reading etc I have accepted that each of us squats a little differently and needs to find what works for our body best. Very freeing reaching that conclusion!!

Pmag-so good to see you!! Missed you! Glad you're doing NR! I am gonna try strong this summer :)

Stephie-I liked your essay ;). Hope the headache passed! Enjoy your hair apt. I am getting some highlights and good cut next week :)

Kim-((hugs)) yes! I have the same connections! When one area isn't on track the others seem to fall apart too. Glad you're back on track and doing well! Hope the hip heals soon. I got a bit derailed last year dealing with back pain, so I sympathize.

Aigre-were going to London, Paris, Rome and Florence! Trip of a lifetime! Can't wait!

Supermel-nice job!!

I'm doing well, hit a new low weight yesterday! If is working well for me! But my clothes are actually getting a little big! I am thrilled, but don't have time or $ to buy new stuff before my trip! Hope the dryer on high will help tighten up my jeans and not make my tops too short! A good problem to have ;). Lifting is going well, bakc to my normal weights, and sore today! Lifting 3x/week and content with that for now. When I get back from vacation I'll probably go to 4 days again. :)
  • Julieboolieaz
    Options
    Dawn-you're amazing! Enjoy the race and training for the half! You go girl!!
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    Julie, I can't believe your trip is almost here! How time has flown!!

Went to the gym early this morning and put in 3 miles on the cross trainer. No lifting, but managed a 75 second plank...will work on that! Then did a 2 mile walk to work....took the long route as it wasn't raining! It all helps, I guess. Frustrating, though, that I can't do what I want to do. Must be patient, and I'm not very good at that!!
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Hello all! Happy Wednesday! I can't believe it's almost May.

Supermelinator - wish I could take credit for the HR intervals, but I just follow what is written in the book. I'm extremely uncreative and trusting, apparently. My Strong workouts including 10 min of intervals generally take me somewhere in between 1 hour and 1:15. The earlier stages I could generally finish in 45-55 min. Now, I workout at home in a spare bedroom so it's different than a gym. I don't have to wait for equipment or walk around to different areas, but I do sometimes get interrupted by kids' tantrums and the like. Perhaps it's a wash, not sure.

Dawn - I'm interested to see how you transition to more cardio. Good for you for having so many goals!

Stephie - Aw, my little one is my last baby, maybe that's why I've been so ambivalent about weaning her. Have fun getting your hair cut. Blonde sounds fun, but I'm jealous of the vibrant red. I have the type of job where I couldn't pull it off, but I wish I could!

Julie - yeay for the new low weight! Wow, what a fun trip you have planned!

Kim - 75 second plank is great! I understand feeling impatient, but best not to push it with an injury and worsen it.

Yesterday I had a rest day, supposed to run but took a day off to let my shin feel better. Not really sure how much rest to give it. It doesn't hurt 90% of the time but I can feel it as 2/10 pain or so for a few hours after a run or the occasional twinge in the right position, like kicking a soccer ball. I don't want to injure it but don't feel like shin splints are typically a terrible chronic problem. But maybe I'm wrong.

Today did Strong, Stage 4, Workout B, #6
    Suspended side plank 2x30s each side
    half kneeling cable lift 2x10@25 lbs each side
    Deadlift off blocks 3x10@110 lbs
    Suspended pushups 3x10
    Side lunge and touch 3x10@30 lbs each side
    Single arm low cable row 3x10@30 lbs each side
    5 intervals in 10 minutes
    Bye bye Stage 4! Will start Stage 5 on Friday I think. Dreading the return of front squats, but like the single-leg RDLs are back.

Ended up getting new running shoes as my present to myself for finishing Stage 4 and C25k simultaneously. Hopefully the added bonus is that they will help my shin. They felt good this morning, so looking forward to a real run tomorrow.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Options
    Aigre-great workout! Nice reward with the shoes, and I'm sure that'll help your shins. Good job!

Kim-doing what you can, you're doing great! Walking is still one of my favorite things :). Hope you continue to heal, and don't overdo it :).

Did upper body lifting today. Back to my PRs on all of my lifts! But wiped out! IF does take a bit of a toll I think, fueling my lifts better will certainly help. 2 lbs from my "goal" weight, but may shoot for lower. Definitely still have plenty of fat to lose. Progress, not perfection!!

Kutgw ladies!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    @StephieWillcox - Last year when I was doing NROLFW and the random lifting after before switching to PHUL, I trained for a few 5k runs and a 10k. It wasn't too hard to fit in even with the lifting as I was lifting 3 days a week and running 3 days. I do sometimes run on lifting days but usually had them separated by several hours.

For those interested, I'm not going to do much for the 10k because it's in less than a month and it's not a just run 10k event. It's not going to be the distance at one time because it's an obstacle course. I'm doing longish runs in the park at least once a week for the running part but the rest will depend on what they put on the course. I'm worried more about jumping than anything else. I can even do a pull up, if I can use my feet climbing gets even easier but I'm really short and don't have much of a vertical. Crawl through mud, climb things and such, it will be interesting.

The half marathon training plan starts with just 3 mile runs and works up over the weeks. I will probably start it soon but extend it like I did the 10k training where I repeated most of the weeks. It's 3 days a week of running. Long run will be on day off from gym, probably work too, and not after squats day. Short runs can be on lifting days but probably will be upper body days. Nothing concrete yet but will figure out a plan soon.

Last night lifting was a little rough. Squats were a challenge so just managed 3x3 even though it's not trying at max or anything. Then did deadlifts, which were easy. Attempted rack pulls and man I suck at those. 135 was easy enough. Tried using the top part of the aerobic step because using the lowest safety spots on the rack puts the bar at knee height instead of just below. Think the step is too tall for this but can't stand on the plates with the ones the gym has. Need to work on that. I tried 225, which I can deadlift, but couldn't get the weight to move in a rack pull. But not bad overall.

Last night:
    squat 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95, 1x5 @ 135 and 3x3 @ 185 with belt
    deadlift 1x6 @ 135, 1x5 @ 185, 3x3 @ 205 with belt
    rack pulls 1x3 @ 155, 3x3 @ 185
    cable kickbacks 2x10 @ 30

elliptical for 30 minutes while watching Food Network

Today I went to the park and attempted to jog. Health wise, I was fine though legs were a tad sore cause last night's squats. However, I tried using the fuel belt thing I got for the half-marathon training and it was a fail. The water bottle is nice and good to have spot for things, but it would not stay tight. Kept getting loose and even tugged down my leggings some. Part way through the run I walked to the car and abandoned the water. It was cool so I had a jacket anyways. I may need to get a wrist water bottle because that won't work for the big run training, not at all.

Then I went to lululemon and bought a pair of shorts just to have one thing that wasn't 100+ dollars from the location. They do have really nice clothes but over my budget most of the time. It was a little treat. I had lunch at Whole Foods grocery store and got some small items. I wanted a whole container of the honey sunflower seed butter. Alas, had to settle for the last few small backs as they didn't have a bigger container. FYI - honey sunflower butter on carbs or protein bowl cake things, it is pretty delicious. mmmm I'm loving nut butters in general and it helps me get my fats to above 30 some days.

Going to be planning and getting ready for my trip to LA. I leave on the 11th and can't wait. Don't know what we will do yet. Do have plans to meet up with someone from instagram who actually knows my sister and we're going to lift at Barbell Brigade. Other than that, just hanging out with sister, maybe walk on the beach, and have a good time.

• kimiuzzell
    Options
    Dawn, you are a machine!!

I walked 3 miles before work this morning. Hoping to get out again in my lunchbreak and/or immediately after work if the weather allows to get a few more miles under my belt, and trying to keep my general fitness up, if nothing else.
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Back from the gym (and the hairdressers yesterday!)

Today I was working on my deadlift form aka PULL THE DAM BAR UP YOUR SHINS

It was a big improvement

Deadlifts 3 x 8 @ 70kg, I'm definitely trying 75 next time
    DB incline bench press 3 x 8 @ 14kg dumbbells, the 16's were in use (I was thankful)
    Rear foot elevated split squat 1 x 8 each leg @ 25kg barbell, 2 x 8 each leg unweighted focusing on depth and form
    Cable X pull down 3 x 8 @ level 5

Valslide push away 2 x 12

And then I messed around with some unweighted squats - trying to "spread" the ground with my feet gave me a marked improvement in form and I actually felt my glutes working. Am excited to try again tomorrow with weight!!

Dawn - thanks that was helpful. Strong stage 3 is so legs heavy that I couldn't imagine trying to run in between days, hopefully this will let up a bit soon and I can attempt to run again :)