Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I am sticking with New rules. I am on stage 4 workout 2A tomorrow.

Not sure what I'll so afterwards. I really have a lot of body fat to lose so I might do more cardio and incorporate half the lifting I learned from New rules. OR I just might restart New Rules :tongue:
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    I've noticed, too, that LOTS of women begin NROL4W, but they sure don't complete it! Not sure what is up with that....

Tell me about it! Don't think there's anyone else doing Stage 6 now :(
  • donnam40
    donnam40 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

I just starte NROL4W today. I was surprised at how little time day one took - 45mins with a warm up, cool down and some extra time on the bike at the end.

I'll be interested to see how I go. I have RA and am trying to get to a managed position. My knee has been giving me a lot of grief but I used a support today and it seems to be okay at the moment. I am praying it holds up. 3 months with very little exercise is killing me.

This group is great - filled with some terrific tips.

Thanks,

Donna
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Trust me the workouts get longer. Much longer. stage 1 is more to get you started break you in and help you build a muscle base. Welcome! and Best of luck to you.
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I know I've talked about finding something else, but I'm sticking it out. I'm finding my groove. I have had to make modifications, but I think I've got it figured out. I plan to do stage 6. My two main goals are to do a pull up and a push up, so I'm actually looking forward to that stage.

To those just starting, or coming back, welcome!
  • manic4titans
    Options
    2nd Sam's comment. Not to scare you , but my workouts have been around 80 minutes in stage 3. I LOVE it. I get so bored with cardio only and didn't know what I was missing before NROL4W.
  • donnam40
    donnam40 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am not scared of a long workout :smile: . I was surprised how short it was, that's all. I'm used to doing much more. This is all a new way of thinking with less training, eating more. I'm very interested to see how it goes.

I'm glad to hear you love it. I hope I do too.

Donna
  • TheGsMama
    TheGsMama Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I know I am new and less then half way through Stage 1 but I am going no where. I score VERY high in follow through. Plus I am LOVING the picking up things and putting them back down. I just bought new "lifting" shoes today. Yipee!
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I remember a lot of people started around the same time as me- when Beeps started this thread talking about Valentine's day! But i think i can help with the mystery of where everyone went- lots of familiar names over on the strong lifts section. Some of them are doing that after NR, some of them switched before finishing.

I'm planning on heading there myself, but want to do stage 7 once or twice, then go away in August first!
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Welcome to those of you coming back to NR or just starting it.

It's funny about all the NR deserters. It *is* a long program, and I can see why people switch to Stronglifts—I think after all the big lifts in Stage 1, moving to smaller moves in Stage 2 is sort of a letdown, for one thing—but personally I'm sticking with it (and then possibly moving to Stronglifts when I'm finished, whenever that is!). Also, there may be more people doing it than post in these threads. I forget to post in the individual stage threads most of the time--reminds me, I should post my results in the stage 3 thread one of these days.

I'm starting stage 4 Monday, after 11 days of rest. I wonder if that will help or hurt me? I guess I'll try to start where I left off in stage 2? I've been running during that time, which I really do enjoy. I'm going to try to stick with 2 days of running, 3 days of NR for the rest of the summer. I'd really love to work some yoga in there, but it's really hard to find the time. And I just looked at the calendar and figured out if I can do 3 Stage 4 workouts per week, I'll be done just in time for our trip to Seattle/Portland, which would be perfect. Rest week while on vacay, then Stage 5 when we get back... I love having a plan.
  • samntha14
    Options
    that being said...

Ok does anybody know what is going on with the ab work in the later stage? I was laying out my planner for stage 5 last night and was scratching my head at 3 set of FOUR crunches. Seems like a complete waste of time. I usually push 10 but I have no idea what Schuler's thinking is here.

Abs are my trouble area, so it will either be NROL4ABS or NROL4L next for me.
  • Jenlwb
    Options
    Sam, i thought the same and ended up totally customising it. See my post on the subject in the stage 5 thread if you like, it was about 2 weeks ago.
  • samntha14
    Options
    Thanks Jen. I was reading it yesterday LOL
  • Jenlwb
    Options
    I'm a bit puzzled about stage 7, looks like the B set is a quick superset of 4 different exercises with 30 secs between each set- how am I supposed to swap the weights around on my dumbells/barbell and catch my breath in that time?!?

I'm thinking of splitting them into 2 supersets of 2 (instead of all 4), so I can pair something without weights (like pushups) with something with weights, so I don't need to be adjusting my plates non-stop, how does that sound?

In other news, went out to dinner and ate a ton, so I'd better be on form tomorrow when i start this stage!
  • manic4titans
    Options
    Stage 7 ---FOUR sets of 15-20 reps!!:noway: How in the world are we gonna do that without decreasing weights? or keep our weight and take as long as it takes to get it done.

I have pulled a muscle in my right quad or I'm super sore. Feeling good though. I get weary of this workout especially during TOM. I love the structure.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Such young babes.... I am 40. It feels like I aged over night. I can't remember when getting out bed wasn't a pain. (ha! double play on the word pain ) I lay there now dread moving.

Off to the gym for Stage 4 WOB1

OMG I'm listening to y'all in your 30s and 40s talking about DOM and stiff and sore... I'm 60 and I roll out of bed every day! It takes me a good 30 minutes to psych myself up to start the workouts cuz I KNOW what I'll feel like later! I don't feel so bad about all these aches and owies, and Beeps, I like the company too.

I haven't lifted since Tuesday. My kids have been here from Ohio for the week, our days were crammed full and while I did get in a whole lot of walking, I had zero time to lift. I'm going to start in the morning with Stage 1 #4A.

I have to say though that my right quad is still pretty sore, and lunges especially are hard to do correctly on that leg. I don't want to injure that thing, likewise, I'm don't want to wimp out on it either. Anyone else have that situation, and how did you know when enough was enough?
  • samntha14
    Options
    Such young babes.... I am 40. It feels like I aged over night. I can't remember when getting out bed wasn't a pain. (ha! double play on the word pain ) I lay there now dread moving.

Off to the gym for Stage 4 WOB1

OMG I'm listening to y'all in your 30s and 40s talking about DOM and stiff and sore... I'm 60 and I roll out of bed every day! It takes me a good 30 minutes to psych myself up to start the workouts cuz I KNOW what I'll feel like later! I don't feel so bad about all these aches and owies, and Beeps, I like the company too.

I haven't lifted since Tuesday. My kids have been here from Ohio for the week, our days were crammed full and while I did get in a whole lot of walking, I had zero time to lift. I'm going to start in the morning with Stage 1 #4A.

I have to say though that my right quad is still pretty sore, and lunges especially are hard to do correctly on that leg. I don't want to injure that thing, likewise, I'm don't want to wimp out on it either. Anyone else have that situation, and how did you know when enough was enough?
    Being a little stiff and sore is ok. You have to understand your body and know what is just muscle tenderness and what is an actual injury. If it's just a DOM effect. then working out will actually make it feel better.
  • manic4titans
    Options
    I don't think my pain is DOM because it doesn't hurt until I do a lunge or squat. After resting today, I hope it will be fine by tomorrow.

sue, I agree with Sam, we just need to listen to our body. it's better to be "safe than sorry".
  • Jenlwb
    Options
    I'm listening to my body right now, it's calling me rude words for doing stage 7 this morning. a total of 60 lunges each side, plus 60 romanian DLs = totally seized up glutes and hammies! Pain..... still stretching but it's getting worse.

Definite day off tomorrow.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I don't think my pain is DOM because it doesn't hurt until I do a lunge or squat. After resting today, I hope it will be fine by tomorrow.

sue, I agree with Sam, we just need to listen to our body. it's better to be "safe than sorry".

I'm thinking mine isn't either. I'll see how I feel doing squats tomorrow, though they haven't been hurting, only the lunges when I'm leading on my left leg and dropping my right knee.

Owie Jen! Manic hope yours clears up.