Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Sue if it's the one knee, you may want to have it checked out or try a brace for it to prevent injury.

Soooo.....I did the first workout of stage 5. Yeah that was pretty intense. Tough driving stick when you can't feel your legs. It took a full 1.5 hours doing the 4 sets, but my BWM times are way down. Who'd'a thunk! Would I be totally wimping out if I use the incline press machine because I got the 30dbs up with a bit of a struggle, but I felt I could do 35, but had nobody to help. I really don't feel comfortable asking some random guy walking around to help me. Pretty sure he'll think I'm hitting on him LOL

Not nearly as intense as stage 7 though. WOW Jen, yeah rest up and maybe have a good soak.
    I do have to say that I LOVE going to the gym at 5pm on a Sunday. NOBODY was there. Though the place was a mess and still took a minute to find my dbs.

We are going to Six Flags again tomorrow. I think the water park this time. Lots of walking and standing in the sun, but maybe I'll get a chance to soak in a nice hot tub as well
    PS: if you are now or have finished Stage 5, come visit me other in the thread. I'm lonely over there :(
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I have an idea for you , Sam! Repeat stage 4 and a few of us will go to stage 5 with you. :laugh:
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Damn, these stage 2 workouts are killing me. I'm wondering how sore I'll be for these other stages y'all say are whoopin your behinds!

The last two workouts I've been sore for THREE days. I've made some pretty super increases, and my lunge replacements are pretty serious, but three days? Jeez. My foam roller has been getting tons of action lately. I'm wondering if it's because my protein has been sporadic lately. Huge numbers one day, then piddly numbers the next. Urrg. Probably.

I'll never do it again, body. Promise.

Have fun at six flags, Sam. I'm JEALOUS. Love waterparks somuch!
  • samntha14
    Options
    THanks funbun and Maniac. I'm always super sore the first week of a stage and then it tapers off. I AM feeling it today though.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,984 Member
    Options
    I'm *still* too sore to lift, today.....I did lift on Friday and felt good. By Saturday, my IT band was saying, "HUH??" and yesterday, my IT band just was soooooooooooo sore. I think if I push it, today, I'm gonna rip that band. So, I need to give it another day. That depresses me, but I really do NOT want to be injured.

I am finding Stage 7 to be a REAL BEAR.....yes, I've gone WAY down in all my weights, to make sure I can get in all the reps. Yes, it *is* a true cardio work-out as my heart rate just climbs, and climbs, and CLIMBS, until I'm dizzy and have to take MUCH longer rests (than the suggested 30s). I think it's a good stage....I'm learning about my body and what it can do. And, yes, push-ups, pull-ups and chin-ups were also my goals for NROL4W. I'm not there, even yet.

:sad:

Still, once I'm done Stage 7, I'm actually going to just TRY a pull-up (nobody watching!) and try push-ups from the floor to see if I can do more than 4 of them in a row. (I know I can do 4.)
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I didn't roll on Friday, following my work-out - just plain forgot. So, I *know* that is one reason my IT band just bit the dust. The other reason is that Friday's work-out included "squats with heels on plates" - a move I've never done. So, there I am, deciding to plunge my "*kitten*-to-the-grass" in a show-off way (because I only grabbed 15 lb DB's and felt like a sissy with those).

I *know* my body was NOT prepared to do 60 reps of *kitten*-to-grass....simple as that. And, my IT band has just suffered ever since. I'm glad I don't have to do that particular work-out for 3 more times, lol.

But, today's work-out should have included lunges - and I just don't think I can do 60 proper lunges given my IT band. So, I wait.

Bummed out. A walk outside it is!
  • manic4titans
    Options
    I can tell I have been increasing weights and pushing myself. I CAN'T GET ENOUGH TO EAT! That's a good thing, right?

Beeps, what is IT? I'm sorry you are having a horrible time. OH, and you WILL get that pull up. :flowerforyou:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    "The iliotibial (IT) band is a tough group of fibers that run along the outside of the
    thigh." (from google)

TOO SORE.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    learning2fly - welcome!!! There is a good mix of people in this group so you will get a lot of varied answers in regards to cardio. I do very little cardio - walking or yoga 2-3 times a week.

Misery loves company - so glad I'm not the only one thats sore. Finally started feeling less sore over the weekend, just in time for workout 4A2 this morning. Hopefully those lunges don't do me in again.

I've noticed the same thing on the amount of people in later stages dwindling. I plan on switching to stronglifts in October after I've completed New Rules. I really like the bigger compound lifts. I was actually just considering switching after Stage 5, but I committed myself to completing this program when I started it, so I will see it through. There is plenty of time to do other programs - this is for life, right!
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    OK, so who is still here doing the later stages (6 and 7) other than me, Beeps and Missmaggie? Hope there's a few of us! I'm not going to defect to Stronglifts until I've got this b******** nailed.

I had to google IT band too, strangely I've never hurt there. However I currently have the worst glute/hammy DOMS i have EVER had. Can barely stand up/walk if i sit still for too long. Foam roller is not an option, it's tooooo painful. And now I'm on 4 x 12 hour night shifts with no time for even a gentle walk (even if i could, lol). That was from stage 7 WO1. Workout 2 can wait till Friday i think.

Will just have to sit here all night and roll around on my butt muscles a bit!
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    OK, so who is still here doing the later stages (6 and 7) other than me, Beeps and Missmaggie? Hope there's a few of us! I'm not going to defect to Stronglifts until I've got this b******** nailed.

I've just met someone new in the Stage 6 thread. Yippee!!!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I only did 1/2 of Stage 6 - I just kept re-injuring my left shoulder/neck/back region. So, I moved onto Stage 7. I do want to get back to Stage 6, when I'm done Stage 7, though.

I'm glad you gals are toughing it out! I think it's worth it!
  • manic4titans
    Options
    I hope my bottom half is least a size smaller when I'm finished with this . So far the only size that has changed is my shirts and that INCREASED.

Beeps, I looked the IT up because I thought maybe that's what I have. My pain is on the middle of my outer quad. I bombed the Bulgarian split squats. 2 sets and I was done. It only hurts on lunges and squats. It doesn't affect my knee so it isn't the IT band. Must be a pulled /strained muscle.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    "The iliotibial (IT) band is a tough group of fibers that run along the outside of the
    thigh." (from google)

TOO SORE.

Oh that's exactly what is hurting me! Right leg right side slightly front. So I will go find a foam roller, but please explain what's the best way to use this to ease this!
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Mary - have you considered seeing a chiropractor? Could be any number of things related to that as well. When my hips are out of alignment I can get pain down my legs.
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Ha, this is the DOMS thread right now--it's only 12 hours after I finished my first stage 4 workout and I'm already feeling the lunges in my glutes. I love that feeling (might not love it tomorrow when walking down stairs is a nightmare).

I have outer thigh/hip issues too--on my right side. Deep tissue massage helped a lot--I had 2 full days with no pain after my last massage. Wish I had the money/time to do that more often (like every week). But I should stretch much more on my own, too. There just isn't enough time in the day for all the stuff I want to do for my body!
  • manic4titans
    Options
    Mary - have you considered seeing a chiropractor? Could be any number of things related to that as well. When my hips are out of alignment I can get pain down my legs.

No, I really haven't thought about it. Maybe if I get my kids fixed and back together there will be time for me. Youngest child has an orthodontist appt tomorrow, Wednesday son must take Residual ACT test, oldest child is still having issues with the tonsillectomy, and Friday we are going to the beach. So somewhere in there I must do my workouts and clean house ((sigh)).

Anyway, you have given me food for thought. thanks :flowerforyou:
  • samntha14
    Options
    Glad to see all of you toughing out the end and hanging in there...even if we all are in different stages.

My husband used to do deep tissue massage for race recovery. He loved it, but like you said too expensive to do to often. There was a place right next door to his old job, but now it's not worth the time or expense for him...so he makes me rub his legs every night.

We spent the day at a water park and let me tel you that carrying those heavy tubes up ALL those steps was a hell of a workout. After doing BWM yesterday my thighs were screaming at me. I'm sure I'm better off though then just sitting around and getting tight. Back tot he gym tomorrow and I'm so excited to be able to do Zumba on my new schedule. I may keep it like this in the fall when I go back to work.
  • samntha14
    Options
    Woke up, hurts to walk, went to gym, struggled through workout. Raised some weight but not much for 5B1. Thighs are SCREAMING! hurt to bend over with legs pushing on the back extension apparatus. Partial Squats were a joke. Raised YTWL to 7.5 dbs for 15lbs woo hoo on that at least. OWWWWWIEEEEE

I'm logging my workout in the stage 5 thread for prosperity, those ladies in the future who may want to know.
  • danielle5243
    danielle5243 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I cannot wait to get to the next stages of this workout! I'm only in stage 1 and I already feel like a beast at the gym! LOVING NROL4W! However, I have been getting killer cramps in my calves? (esp when doing step-ups in the leg I'm not working) and then again at night while sleeping. Any thoughts on why and how to get rid of it?